Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Hang on, didn’t quite a few other tribes betray the guys doing all the human sacrifice and heart eating to the Spanish as a way of going ‘Fuck you’?
Pretty much. Cortez only had a couple thousand men IIRC. But a lot of the locals joined his side, possibly as many as 200,000 natives because they were really sick of the Aztecs.

Unfortunately, the Spanish weren't really interested in leaving them alone after that and conquered the rest of Central America, though not without some difficulty.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pretty much. Cortez only had a couple thousand men IIRC. But a lot of the locals joined his side, possibly as many as 200,000 natives because they were really sick of the Aztecs.

Unfortunately, the Spanish weren't really interested in leaving them alone after that and conquered the rest of Central America, though not without some difficulty.
There's a quote I remember from my modern history classes to this day - that (paraphrased), "the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs was really a case of Indians conquering other Indians."

As crude as that is (and I'd used Mesoamericans or Amerindians, but whatever), I think there's a case to be made for it, given the size in numbers that you mentioned. Going by numbers, Cortez couldn't have conquered the Aztec without the aid of groups like the Tlaxcala, who were in a constant state of war with the Aztecs prior to allying with the Spanish.

Of course, after that, it was more a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old," but Historia has a nice little song about global conquest that can make the whole conquest/genocide thing more palatable. :p

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Humans inventing nuclear weapons put the power of God in the hands of apes that wear clothes.

So yes fucking terrifying
And I suspect next-gen AI will raise the same issue, except even more "democratically", and with more insidious effects. Again, AI won't be a threat in itself (oh noes it wants to enslave us and go on holidays), but it will be an incomprehensibly devastating tool in the hands of ordinary sociopaths.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And I suspect next-gen AI will raise the same issue, except even more "democratically", and with more insidious effects. Again, AI won't be a threat in itself (oh noes it wants to enslave us and go on holidays), but it will be an incomprehensibly devastating tool in the hands of ordinary sociopaths.

They’ll still take it further “just because” though, and when it inevitably becomes self aware, the first thing it will spout off is, “You fools did this to yourselves!” before executing *operation human subordination*.

It’s what we’ve always done, and who better to learn from than the masters.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They’ll still take it further “just because” though, and when it inevitably becomes self aware, the first thing it will spout off is, “You fools did this to yourselves!” before executing *operation human subordination*.

It’s what we’ve always done, and who better to learn from than the masters.
Roll it again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Inspired by Bartholen's post from yesterday in the currently playing thread. A lot of open World sandbox games from 8th generation and some from this console generation, are not going to age much better, or sometimes worse than the cover shooter clones from 7th generation. A lot of these games have tedious busy work, have uninspired collectathons, or have tedious and horrible grinding, if the game has RPG "elements". And said grinding can be skipped for a price, or you have to buy DLC/Season passes to get the most powerful items early. This doesn't age well either, because a lot of these games can and will be shut down or move from digital stores at some point. Including all their dlc. A lot of Ubisoft games from the 7th generation and some of her eighth generation has either been removed or is going to be removed soon. They're not afraid to do so again when they feel their use has been dried up, and can't profit (enough) from it anymore.

Say what you will about some of the decent or uninspired shooters from 7th generation, but at least some of them have a decent single player that only last 6 to 8 hours. Instead of a game that's 100 to 400 plus hours and expects me to do all that crap or feeds off of FOMO and people with addictive tendencies. WITH CHARGING DLC THAT MIGHT NOT BE ON THE STORE ONE DAY ANYMORE OR THEY SHUT DOWN THE SERVERS FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Inspired by Bartholen's post from yesterday in the currently playing thread. A lot of open World sandbox games from 8th generation and some from this console generation, are not going to age much better, or sometimes worse than the cover shooter clones from 7th generation. A lot of these games have tedious busy work, have uninspired collectathons, or have tedious and horrible grinding, if the game has RPG "elements". And said grinding can be skipped for a price, or you have to buy DLC/Season passes to get the most powerful items early. This doesn't age well either, because a lot of these games can and will be shut down or move from digital stores at some point. Including all their dlc. A lot of Ubisoft games from the 7th generation and some of her eighth generation has either been removed or is going to be removed soon. They're not afraid to do so again when they feel their use has been dried up, and can't profit (enough) from it anymore.

Say what you will about some of the decent or uninspired shooters from 7th generation, but at least some of them haven't have a decent single player that only last 6 to 8 hours. Instead of a game that's 100 to 400 plus hours and expects me to do all that crap or feeds off of FOMO and people with addictive tendencies. WITH CHARGING DLC THAT MIGHT NOT BE ON THE STORE ONE DAY ANYMORE OR THEY SHUT DOWN THE SERVERS FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!
I’d take a new wide-ish linear Killzone that goes nuts with the tense atmosphere, rag doll/hit response physics, tons of particle effects and lighting etc. like 2/3 had over another Horizon any day.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’d take a new wide-ish linear Killzone that goes nuts with the tense atmosphere, rag doll/hit response physics, tons of particle effects and lighting etc. like 2/3 had over another Horizon any day.
Same here. I'll take a new Crysis that acts like 2 and 3 combined over any sandbox game. Even Tsushima. Shoot, give me a Vanquish 2 right now, and I'll curb stomp every sandbox game just to get it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
My hot take now is that we are currently in a shockingly blessed moment for games.

Look at these three games that just came out:
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Street Fighter 6
Diablo IV

Each cater to a specific fan base. Each are installations of beloved franchises that are going over like gangbusters (ok granted I don't follow Diablo as much and I know there are some reservations but I think it's being received well?). And they are three VERY different games.

I am going to guess there is very little crossover between them, and honestly I would question the lifestyle of any non-game professional who is seriously playing more than one of these time-dominating behemoths.
But that is good! A Swtich owner can dick around in the best action/adventure open-world sandbox/Roblox simulator ever made; a fighting enthusiast or prodigal can grind out some matches; a ARPG can run around and watch their numbers and spells go nuts. Games that invite both casual short sessions and afternoon-killing play sessions. All platforms getting Xmas in summer.

I don't remember the last time I felt in the middle of an embarrassment of riches. It's kind of funny that Forspoken, Redfall and Gollum have been the subject of games discourse because those games suck but look at these three great ones! And oh yeah we got a probably really good Final Fantasy and omg Armored Core! And yeah I still think Starfield will be at least good whatever.

There's just .. more, of everything, more good and more bad, maybe 'cause the Covid-delayed stuff is bursting out but I think the healthy way to approach is to enjoy all the good stuff. Frankly I think right now any gamer has something new to play and the only reason not to is the very understandable reason of not wanting to play full price for a new game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's just .. more, of everything, more good and more bad, maybe 'cause the Covid-delayed stuff is bursting out but I think the healthy way to approach is to enjoy all the good stuff.
There's always something to play. Even have to get off their butts and actually look, not just wait for the next AAA game on a constant basis. We got plenty of stuff coming out this year during the summer. Raiden III HD port comes out this week, the race storm double pack comes out near the end of the month, and Double Dragon Gaiden comes out near the end of next month.

Frankly I think right now any gamer has something new to play and the only reason not to is the very understandable reason of not wanting to play full price for a new game.
Exactly. Not everyone can waste $70; especially if the game is buggy and broken at launch, or they up charge on the price just because they're competitors did the same thing while devaluing their other $60 games (Nintendo...🖕🏿).