Your video game hot take(s) thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This is how it’s done -

No, it’s not with aim assist or lock-on either; literally because there was no time for that nonsense.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's how you shoot in any game, center the camera on the enemy and fire. You can cheat doing it that way though, you can put a dot on the screen.
Doesn’t appear to be cheating though. Considering the viewpoint in which enemies’ heads take up trivial screen real estate and how much people complain about the game’s aiming in general, it’s impressive. Though I’m sure it’s edited in that it’s highly uncommon to be done with constant accuracy at speed, even on PC.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Doesn’t appear to be cheating though. Considering the viewpoint in which enemies’ heads take up trivial screen real estate and how much people complain about the game’s aiming in general, it’s impressive. Though I’m sure it’s edited in that it’s highly uncommon to be done with constant accuracy at speed, even on PC.
I'm just saying people have put a dot on the screen in online shooters, not saying this guy did it. It's not that hard because he gets a good amount of time to line up the shoot beforehand. I got used to doing that in like a split second playing MGO. I would drag shoot from horseback in RDR1. When you get used to drag scoping, you know immediately when the aiming off (like Uncharted).

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Been on the fence about trying SFV but this quick video looked so cool I had to install it

Forgot I had it from a few months back, but ready to see if it’s more fun/less frustrating than IV was. Will be trying every character instead of just sticking to Ryu this time though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I don't think you or the main character actually understood SOMA.

There is no coin flip. When the main character's consciousness is transferred into another body it's always just a copy. Both consciousness think that they're the original one every time, and in all cases both bodies have the same consciousness. What happens at the end of the game happened every time the main character transferred bodies, this is just the only time where you get to see both outcomes.
The main character isn't supposed to understand SOMA; it's one of his character flaws.

The coin flip is a metaphor for which consciousness the player has control after the copy happens (or more specifically, which character the narrative will follow: the original or the copy?). The first two times the player's POV was switched to the copy (not counting the times the Simon template was used by Catherine and other researchers around the world between the scan and the events in SOMA), and the last time it wasn't... until the post-credits ending, where the player gets a nice epilogue inside the ARK from the newest Simon's perspective (and the Simon latest isn't aware that the previous Simon was left at the bottom of the Ocean, because he never understood how the scanning works).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Been on the fence about trying SFV but this quick video looked so cool I had to install it

Forgot I had it from a few months back, but ready to see if it’s more fun/less frustrating than IV was. Will be trying every character instead of just sticking to Ryu this time though.
Give it a chance. The game got really good in 2018-19, and it's still getting updates and characters. I got the Champion Edition, so it came with a lot of the DLC, though not all. The combos are much easier to pull off compared to III or IV. I know people complained, but I had no problem with it, as that was the least of my problems with the game. The arcade and single player content will keep you busy for months on end.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Give it a chance. The game got really good in 2018-19, and it's still getting updates and characters. I got the Champion Edition, so it came with a lot of the DLC, though not all. The combos are much easier to pull off compared to III or IV. I know people complained, but I had no problem with it, as that was the least of my problems with the game. The arcade and single player content will keep you busy for months on end.
I only got the base game on PS+ a few months ago but yeah, sounds like the Champion expansion is where it’s at. My issue is twofold:

I only have the base game on PS4, which is connected to a laggy projector; 67ms best case, although I’ve played through Bloodrayne: Betrayal, all the MK9 challenge towers, several Sekiro bosses, etc. which often have quick input requirements, so idk.

“Just get the game on PC”...but that would break my pact of no new game purchases this year. I suppose getting the upgrade kit would fall within a gray area of sorts. But the thing is for an extra $5 I could get the Champion Edition for PC, and have lag free controls with my choice of controller with a wired internet connection.

That would seem to be the way to go if I really got into it. I’d just have to make an exception to the no new games this year, but technically I already have the base game so what the hell. We’ll see.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I only got the base game on PS+ a few months ago but yeah, sounds like the Champion expansion is where it’s at. My issue is twofold:

I only have the base game on PS4, which is connected to a laggy projector; 67ms best case, although I’ve played through Bloodrayne: Betrayal, all the MK9 challenge towers, several Sekiro bosses, etc. which often have quick input requirements, so idk.

“Just get the game on PC”...but that would break my pact of no new game purchases this year. I suppose getting the upgrade kit would fall within a gray area of sorts. But the thing is for an extra $5 I could get the Champion Edition for PC, and have lag free controls with my choice of controller with a wired internet connection.

That would seem to be the way to go if I really got into it. I’d just have to make an exception to the no new games this year, but technically I already have the base game so what the hell. We’ll see.
You got plenty of time, so it is up to you. The game is getting 3 new DLC characters; one being Dan Hibiki, and the other being Akira from Rival Schools. These updates are supposed to go all the way to 2021 to 2022. It'll be a long while before we get to SFVI.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This is how it’s done -

No, it’s not with aim assist or lock-on either; literally because there was no time for that nonsense.
As someone who hasn't played the game, I'm kind of confused as to what's supposed to be impressive here. Is it that hard to manually quick draw in RDR2?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
As someone who hasn't played the game, I'm kind of confused as to what's supposed to be impressive here. Is it that hard to manually quick draw in RDR2?
Red Dead Redemption 2 has pretty terrible shooting in general.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's disappointing. I remembers years ago, I said on this forum that I'd only get RDR2 if they improved the shooting. What makes it so terrible?
You know how it was in Red Dead Redemption 1? It's exactly like that...but worse.

Honestly, it's been long enough since the last time I tried to play RDR2 that I've forgotten what the shooting feels like, I just remember that it felt really unsatisfying.

Actually, pretty much performing any action in RDR2 feels like a struggle to me. Rockstar put a lot of time into making sure that all of your actions and movements have weight, but nothing about it feels quite right. It feels like swimming through molasses, or walking when you're drunk and everything feels kind of slow motion, or playing a game at a low framerate with v-sync on and mouse acceleration.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's disappointing. I remembers years ago, I said on this forum that I'd only get RDR2 if they improved the shooting. What makes it so terrible?
I wanna say RDR and other Rockstar games suffer from the exact thing Raycevick talks about in detail here (video queued up at the point) about animations taking priority over player control. In MP3, I remember hating having to walk up stairs because I couldn't shoot for shit in those instances, it just didn't feel right at all. Other shooters I have no problem shooting while moving up stairs. I'm guessing that is what's at the heart of Rockstar's control issues.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I wanna say RDR and other Rockstar games suffer from the exact thing Raycevick talks about in detail here (video queued up at the point) about animations taking priority over player control. In MP3, I remember hating having to walk up stairs because I couldn't shoot for shit in those instances, it just didn't feel right at all. Other shooters I have no problem shooting while moving up stairs. I'm guessing that is what's at the heart of Rockstar's control issues.

This is probably the best and simplest explanation that I've seen for why Rockstar's games control poorly (other than forcing people to tap the A button constantly to run, fuck off with that bullshit rockstar). Red Dead Redemption 2 suffers from that problem, same as all of Rockstar's other games, only moreso.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Basically what Dirty said, and being sans aiming reticle or any auto/assist. It was an edited highlight real though of course.

This is probably the best and simplest explanation that I've seen for why Rockstar's games control poorly (other than forcing people to tap the A button constantly to run, fuck off with that bullshit rockstar). Red Dead Redemption 2 suffers from that problem, same as all of Rockstar's other games, only moreso.
Because they layered more nuance to the animations than ever on top of everything. I went in expecting this though so it never really bothered me. The targets are smaller due to perspective which adds further difficulty, especially for headshots. But it’s still pretty easy with manual painting in deadeye. The most frustrating thing for me is when I needed to do something quickly like a timed mission or escape from a bear and Arthur is struggling to get up from a knockdown.

It’s always been this way when games go for full-on motion capture. Uncharted is the same way, and until recently felt even more cumbersome. Not sure what a game like The Last Guardian’s excuse would be though as it looks like they used key frame animation. Maybe the boy was hand drawn though.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I never got why people say TLoU2’s gameplay really hasn’t changed or improved much since the original

Far better mobility, options and smoothness in part 2.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Gotta confess, while having perfectly enjoyed the Uncharted series for what it is, I’d be significantly less inclined to play through the Tomb Raider games if Lara wasn’t a hottie, or was a dude like Nate Drake.