Your video game hot take(s) thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In Japanese, it's a common thing. In English, just saying the word on its own doesn't have the same immediate connotation of 'tell me more about this aspect'. But due to the timing of the cutscenes, Snake can't go for a long-form question in a lot of cases, so he has to just repeat with a question mark and get laughed at by English-speaking players.
You can make it work in English, you just use your tone of voice to make your request clear. I always thought most people took the piss out of Snake because of the hammy and overwrought way he said it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
You can make it work in English, you just use your tone of voice to make your request clear. I always thought most people took the piss out of Snake because of the hammy and overwrought way he said it.
I think it's more that he does it so often so people assume he's an idiot for being ignorant of so many things. Issue with that thought, is most people aren't going to know all the esoteric knowledge and trivia that Snake regularly gets bombarded with in Codec calls so it's a bit unfair.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You can make it work in English, you just use your tone of voice to make your request clear.
However, don't follow it up with "what is it" because that's not important right now.

Reactions: thebobmaster

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Sterling is right on the money with Signalis. It's pretty much why I lost interest in getting the game. Inventory management is way too limited, and there's no way to upgrade it either.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Sterling is right on the money with Signalis. It's pretty much why I lost interest in getting the game. Inventory management is way too limited, and there's no way to upgrade it either.
It's funny 'cause it's one of those games where the fans are intense. You know, good for it and them, I never played and it's not my type of game at all so I don't have any opinion about the game itself. But it's one of those games where I wonder about some of the gamers out there that are maybe more into the suffering and the ART then the playing of and enjoying a video game.

It's kind of... cute? Inspiring? That video games are at the point of movies and music where there's stuff that is crazy hard to get into and weird and people get to be snobby about it (I say this as someone who himself has often been accused of being a music snob).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't inventory management a normal thing in survival horror?
Yes, but most survival horror games get this right. The ones that don't are Signalis and Code Veronica, going off the top of my head. Silent Hill in general avoids inventory management altogether and you can have as many items as you want in most of the games.

It's funny 'cause it's one of those games where the fans are intense. You know, good for it and them, I never played and it's not my type of game at all so I don't have any opinion about the game itself. But it's one of those games where I wonder about some of the gamers out there that are maybe more into the suffering and the ART then the playing of and enjoying a video game.

It's kind of... cute? Inspiring? That video games are at the point of movies and music where there's stuff that is crazy hard to get into and weird and people get to be snobby about it (I say this as someone who himself has often been accused of being a music snob).
There is a limit to the whole art and suffering argument. If it gets in the way of the fun or the enjoyment, then I quit and abandoned all together.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This another one that Starfield has reminded me of but is certainly not relegated to that game:

If you have a stat you "have" to put points into, it shouldn't be a stat.

Yes there's the whole encumbrance thing in Starfield and both u/Brawlman and I have posted videos about people ranting on about (it is exactly the kind of petty but sympathetic griping that amuses me to no end- seriously I can spend a whole day just listening to people ***** about encumbrance). Apparently you can put your skill points into a stat that lets you carry more stuff- but that just means you can't put those points into something, I dunno, good.

The big example I can think of is Dark Souls 2, with ADP which, if memory serves correctly, is supposed to be "adaptability," which gives you more i-frames, which makes actually dodging enemies more feasible. One of the most common starting tips for that game is to put points in ADP no matter your build. What a horrible waste of resources and time, especially considering how hard it is to actually get and keep leveling resources in that game.

Heck, the original Dark Souls has the reverse, with the infamously useless Resistance stat.

I know DS2 is a controversial entry in the series and Starfield is doomed to never get reasonable discourse at this point but I'm sure there are other examples of games with bullshit stats to waste resources into.

This is one of the reasons I'm less and less interested in "RPG mechanics" these days- I just want the coolest experience moving around and fighting don't make me do math- but I know that whole stats and points and resources jive is important to so many. That's fine- don't mess up a player's good time but putting in completely bullshit stats!

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Isn't inventory management a normal thing in survival horror?
In Signalis you get 6 inventory slots and weapons and tools like the flashlight and key items take up slots. holding gun, ammo, healthpacks, and flashlight only leaves 2 slots for key items and ammo for other guns. There's a bunch of stuff in every room, like 2-4 items, so you are constantly going back and forth between the stash if you want to pick it all up. Even in OG Resident Evil Jill had 8 slots, Chris only had 6, though.
Yes, but most survival horror games get this right. The ones that don't are Signalis and Code Veronica, going off the top of my head.
What was wrong with Code Veronica? I replayed it a little while ago and I never had a problem with the inventory. You start with 8 slots and upgrade to 10 with the side pack, I don't remember feeling like I didn't have enough slots.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What was wrong with Code Veronica? I replayed it a little while ago and I never had a problem with the inventory. You start with 8 slots and upgrade to 10 with the side pack, I don't remember feeling like I didn't have enough slots.
RE0 is much worse, but while CV does have more slots, how you're supposed to get your items across it's still annoying. That whole weapons box puzzle for about half the game is annoying, and don't even get me started if it's the first time playing. You don't know who you're going to switch over and what items you'll need or don't need. Because there are certain items you have to drop off so Chris can have them. Otherwise you can make your situation unwinnable. Back in the day this was not fun. Even if you know what to do or what videos to look up, it doesn't make it any less of a hassle nor less annoyance. There's a lot of Code Veronica I just don't like despite, having some good things I enjoy. I wouldn't mind if that game ever got a remake.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Snake repeating what someone just said isn't stupid. It's a basic aspect of conversation to say a word someone else said to indicate you want to know more about that.
I mean, it's silly and doesn't constitute organic or natural sounding dialoge, but the way it's focused on as totally ridiculous and laughable has been overplayed for a decade now.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
RE0 is much worse, but while CV does have more slots, how you're supposed to get your items across it's still annoying. That whole weapons box puzzle for about half the game is annoying, and don't even get me started if it's the first time playing. You don't know who you're going to switch over and what items you'll need or don't need. Because there are certain items you have to drop off so Chris can have them. Otherwise you can make your situation unwinnable. Back in the day this was not fun. Even if you know what to do or what videos to look up, it doesn't make it any less of a hassle nor less annoyance. There's a lot of Code Veronica I just don't like despite, having some good things I enjoy. I wouldn't mind if that game ever got a remake.
I don't remember what you might be referring to with 'weapons box puzzle'. I doubt you can ever make the game unwinnable, though, considering you have an unbreakable knife. I do recall there were some upgrade parts that Chris could use later on if you left them for him, but they weren't anything essential.

Although I just remembered that I played Code Veronica X, so maybe there were some differences from the original Dreamcast version?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't remember what you might be referring to with 'weapons box puzzle'. I doubt you can ever make the game unwinnable, though, considering you have an unbreakable knife. I do recall there were some upgrade parts that Chris could use later on if you left them for him, but they weren't anything essential.

Although I just remembered that I played Code Veronica X, so maybe there were some differences from the original Dreamcast version?
The metal detector puzzle where you have to dispose of your weapons. I should have said that to make it more clear. As for differences, there's not much aside from a few extra cutscenes. It's still pretty much the same game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
you might be referring to with 'weapons box puzzle'. I doubt you can ever make the game unwinnable, though, considering you have an unbreakable knife

Unwinnable: Since Claire's final playable section after being rescued by Chris has all the hallmarks of leading up to a boss fight, it's pretty easy to load up on heavy artillery for what you think is gonna be an epic throwdown. The issue comes in that any weapons and supplies Claire takes in this segment are lost, which can leave Chris without enough heavy weaponry for the final boss

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A game isn't 'unwinnable' just because you suck at it :p
Doesn't matter. Still doesn't solve the core issue for most first time players without Internet back then, and it still hasn't been solved with any of the modern ports now. It can still happen to any unsuspecting player, or one that has forgotten. Like I said before, couldn't give a shit, never playing again, and will only play CV, if they remake it in the RE Engine. Give me RE6 over CV and RE0 any day of the week. If I need my fix for those two that badly, I can just YouTube the cut-scenes, and that's enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon