Your video game hot take(s) thread

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
After some bafflement for what must have been sacrificed in last patch to make Jedi Survivor finally look and perform like a real modern videogame for once, a cheeky glance at an escapist article seems to how now provided an answer.

That answer Is ray-fucking-tracing cause of cause it fucking is omg lol!

2023-09-06-23-18-06-597.jpg

Removing it literally mades the game look and feel better to play more than all previous optimisation attempts. That ain't the kind of "next-gen" tech us peasants are up for, honey.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
After some bafflement for what must have been sacrificed in last patch to make Jedi Survivor finally look and perform like a real modern videogame for once, a cheeky glance at an escapist article seems to how now provided an answer.

View attachment 9609

Removing it literally mades the game look and feel better to play more than all previous optimisation attempts. That ain't the kind of "next-gen" tech us peasants are up for, honey.
Ray Tracing is fine if you have the grunt for it, but it’s also supposed to be an on/off option in a game’s settings. Why the merry Christ was it seemingly set to always on with a hardware setup that frankly isn’t capable of sustaining it?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Ray Tracing is fine if you have the grunt for it, but it’s also supposed to be an on/off option in a game’s settings. Why the merry Christ was it seemingly set to always on with a hardware setup that frankly isn’t capable of sustaining it?
Yeah toggle is generally a preferred option for sure, a lot of the games using the tech do include it. Didn't even realise Jedi Survivor was apparently using it till the mention of removal, so it couldn't have been worth the performance sacrifice the way it was previously implemented either way.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah toggle is generally a preferred option for sure, a lot of the games using the tech do include it. Didn't even realise Jedi Survivor was apparently using it till the mention of removal, so it couldn't have been worth the performance sacrifice the way it was previously implemented either way.
Yeah, like that’s a basic function I expect from performance intensive stuff. To be able to turn it off if it’s impact is detrimental to the overall experience.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

View attachment 9609

I mean, this makes sense. Both the X and S run on AMD chipsets, and AMD is way behind the curve for raytracing.

The question is, why was RT enabled in Performance Mode?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I got your hot take right here:

Doom Eternal is a worse Doom game than Doom 3.

At least Doom 3 focused on shooting demons, even if half the time you couldn't see the demons. Doom Eternal falls too much in love with its platforming and swinging and excessive number of gadgets. Every time I see yet another disguised gymnasium, I let out a sigh and contemplate uninstalling the game; I've bounced off of it so many times because I'm tired of all the jungle gym gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

At least Doom 3 focused on shooting demons, even if half the time you couldn't see the demons. Doom Eternal falls too much in love with its platforming and swinging and excessive number of gadgets. Every time I see yet another disguised gymnasium, I let out a sigh and contemplate uninstalling the game; I've bounced off of it so many times because I'm tired of all the jungle gym gameplay.
We both actually already went through this one, but I don't mind hearing it again. I'll add to it: Shadow Warrior 3 is a better Doom Eternal game then Eternal itself. SHDW3 does have platforming, but it doesn't go overboard and it's wide enough to either be integrated with the combat better or just to break up the pace every now and then, instead of constantly. SHDW3 has better weapons with more functions, even though the game has less of them.

Doom 3, I prefer The BFG Edition. I understand people's complaints who love the original version, but I don't care. I get why some people are upset with the alterations, but certain changes they cry and whine about too much, or exaggerate.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wouldn't making ray tracing a toggle mean that they would need to have two completely different lighting systems developed? My guess would be that they were hoping the system could handle RT because it's less work to implement and finished the other version afterwards.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah of all the ways to try and update an FPS I dunno why they'd go with platforming.

The other thing with Eternal was that while its a big show of alleged "strategic" gameplay. It really just boils down to learn the one specific order or get f***ed. Whether it was the platforming sections (which weren't organic and basically only ever had one designated obvious marked route) or navigating all the gimmicked enemies. It wasn't "here's all the classic guns with cool new tools, figure it out" it was "here's the same old guns with some alt modes that you mostly can't freeely use because you need to save them for when enemy X shows up"

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wouldn't making ray tracing a toggle mean that they would need to have two completely different lighting systems developed? My guess would be that they were hoping the system could handle RT because it's less work to implement and finished the other version afterwards.
Well as I understand it, most games sort of pre build their lighting as part and parcel of the game itself. So I guess the answer to that is it would really depend on the game. And the technology is still only two card generations in so I’d imagine many devs are unwilling to abandon currently proven technology exclusively for RTX unless the people who can’t use it have become a statistical anomaly.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Well as I understand it, most games sort of pre build their lighting as part and parcel of the game itself. So I guess the answer to that is it would really depend on the game. And the technology is still only two card generations in so I’d imagine many devs are unwilling to abandon currently proven technology exclusively for RTX unless the people who can’t use it have become a statistical anomaly.
Yeah, but this was a patch for the console versions, so it's guaranteed that everybody has the same hardware. My understanding of RT comes from an article by Shamus Young, so I may be off in some respects, but I'm pretty sure that the game would need to be optimized separately depending on whether RT is on or off, so it's not as easy as just making it a toggle.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I find it funny Yahtzee has been crazy to bat for BioShock since the early 2010s to now. When he reviewed the game first back in 2007, he had a whatever attitude about it. He really only started changing his tune after the second game, and when Infinite came out. Infinite I don't like and I find it a much worse game than 2. I know BioShock 2 was more of the same, but better polished, but at least it was straightforward and knew what it was doing. It wasn't marred by a bunch of production trouble, and many wasted a plot threads or characters that go nowhere or end up being killed off too fast and unceremoniously. Don't even give me started on that ending.

I can understand his choice, but Bioshock wouldn't be my first pick. Metal Gear Rising has the best opening of any game ever.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I find it funny Yahtzee has been crazy the bat for BioShock since the early 2010s to now. When he reviewed the game first back in 2007, he had a whatever attitude about it. He really only started changing his tune after the second game, and when Infinite came out. Infinite I don't like and I find it a much worse game than 2. I know BioShock 2 was more the same, but better polished, but at least it was straightforward and knew what it was doing. It was a marred by a bunch of production trouble, and many wasted a plot threads or characters that go nowhere or end up being killed off too fast and unceremoniously. Don't even give me started on that ending.

I can understand his choice, but Bioshock wouldn't be my first pick. Metal Gear Rising has the best opening of any game ever.

GoW3!

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I find it funny Yahtzee has been crazy to bat for BioShock since the early 2010s to now. When he reviewed the game first back in 2007, he had a whatever attitude about it. He really only started changing his tune after the second game, and when Infinite came out. Infinite I don't like and I find it a much worse game than 2. I know BioShock 2 was more the same, but better polished, but at least it was straightforward and knew what it was doing. It was a marred by a bunch of production trouble, and many wasted a plot threads or characters that go nowhere or end up being killed off too fast and unceremoniously. Don't even give me started on that ending.

I think what happened was that his Bioshock review came not too long after his Psychonauts review, which I think had somewhat of a bad reaction, so he kind of took a lesson of "people don't like it when Yahtzee is too positive about a game" which led to a harsher review of Bioshock than it probably deserved. I mean, he pretty much says exactly that at the start of his review.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think what happened was that his Bioshock review came not too long after his Psychonauts review, which I think had somewhat of a bad reaction, so he kind of took a lesson of "people don't like it when Yahtzee is too positive about a game" which led to a harsher review of Bioshock than it probably deserved. I mean, he pretty much says exactly that at the start of his review.
This is why you don't listen and constantly to please your echo chamber . Which he still does, but not as much in the early days. It still didn't stop him from doing positive reviews a year later and beyond. In fact, in hindsight and retrospect, BioShock got off easy. He was even harsher on good or great games such as MadWorld, Smash Bros. Brawl (any fighting game really), and Evil Within 2. MadWorld wasn't even a review, it was a 5 minute biatch fit about how Wii Motion Controls "suck" and are all "pointless". If you wanted to rant about the console, that's fine Yahtz, but then put that in the title. Don't give shit on a great game, because you don't know to control it properly, and have heavy chip on your shoulder. Remember folks: I am not a hardcore motion controls defender, but I will defend the game that great with and actually make it work.

Gears of War 3 or God of War 3?

I'm being facetious; I know it's the second one. But man, optimize game title acronyms!
Before Gears, God of War had the acronym: GOW most of the time. Some people did use GoW, but that was before the former showed up. Then Gears of War happened, and some loud bitchy gamers whined about only wanting Gears Of War in all caps, because the game is "more manly/hardcore" than God of War or whatever. So God of War fans would start using GoW differentiate, or only use GOW if they were in a dedicated God of War thread or forum.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Gears of War 3 or God of War 3?

I'm being facetious; I know it's the second one. But man, optimize game title acronyms!
This is why you don't listen and constantly to please your echo chamber . Which he still does, but not as much in the early days. It still didn't stop him from doing positive reviews a year later and beyond. In fact, in hindsight and retrospect, BioShock got off easy. He was even harsher on good or great games such as MadWorld, Smash Bros. Brawl (any fighting game really), and Evil Within 2. MadWorld wasn't even a review, it was a 5 minute biatch fit about how Wii Motion Controls "suck" and are all "pointless". If you wanted to rant about the console, that's fine Yahtz, but then put that in the title. Don't give shit on a great game, because you don't know to control it properly, and have heavy chip on your shoulder. Remember folks: I am not a hardcore motion controls defender, but I will defend the game that great with and actually make it work.

Before Gears, God of War had the acronym: GOW most of the time. Some people did use GoW, but that was before the former showed up. Then Gears of War happened, and some loud bitchy gamers whined about only wanting Gears Of War in all caps, because the game is "more manly/hardcore" than God of War or whatever. So God of War fans would start using GoW differentiate, or only use GOW if they were in a dedicated God of War thread or forum.

I always had thought Gears used GeoW to differentiate.