Your video game hot take(s) thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Which games are doing that now? I highly doubt you talking about Resident Evil 4 or 8.
The merchant thing is from an indie game, Laika: Aged Through Blood. That's my most recent example but other games do it too.

The map thing is from Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. You can take in-game screenshots and place them in your map, but if you want to view a screenshot then your following options are to delete it or back out of the map.

EDIT: Lol, I *just* booted Prince of Persia and a patch kicked in for the map thing I was describing. You no longer back out of the map when backing out of a screenshot. How timely.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Modern gaming is by and large incredibly boring. I watch pretty much every stream SGF does, and enjoy most of them, the only times I'm so uninterested that I skip is when he's playing something released in the last 5 years, especially survival horror. I watched him play every Alone in the Dark game ever made and was interested for it all, but an hour into the newly released re-imagining and I'm so bored I think I'm going to find something else to watch for the next month until he's done. It's just modern Resident Evil again with a really slow burn and an otherworld or something. The first game was absolutely bonkers with traps and puzzles and charming audio logs. You never knew what might kill you the next time you walked into a room and it was great. The combat was awful, but the rest entirely made up for it. The new game just feels like every other modern survival horror game I've seen and the audio logs go on and on and on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Modern gaming is by and large incredibly boring.
That depends on where you look. There's plenty of interesting stuff to play. It's a matter of whether you're interested or not. I'm not playing every single thing either, but that's why it matters to me to play something I know I'm going to be invested in or complete.

It's just modern Resident Evil again with a really slow burn and an otherworld or something.
I don't see the problem. I haven't played the game yet, but I am interested in it. Speaking of which:.

Do not let the title fool you, not all of the survival horror games on this list are RE clones.

The first game was absolutely bonkers with traps and puzzles and charming audio logs. You never knew what might kill you the next time you walked into a room and it was great. The combat was awful, but the rest entirely made up for it. The new game just feels like every other modern survival horror game I've seen and the audio logs go on and on and on.
Ironic, because along with Sweet Home, Resident Evil took its inspirations from first the Alone In The Dark. There's double to triple irony, as later Alone In The Dark games took influence from either the camera angle Resident Evil games on PlayStation 1 and Code Veronica, tried copying some of RE4 with the reboot back in the late 2000s, or now taking RE2R. I know the most survival horror fans are eating good this year

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You wouldn't,
I appreciate the lookout, but you don't speak for me. I can decide myself just fine. I may not be picking it up immediately, but I'm still invested.

but I'm completely sick of Resident Evil, clone or otherwise.
Understandable, but if that's the case, you would have gotten bored of gaming all the way back in the 2000s. You know how many games were inspired by Resident Evil or sometimes Silent Hill? Not every survival horror game did this of course, there's plenty of them. Signalis came out last year, and despite having some RE-influence, takes more from Silent Hill than anything, but set in space. Considering how successful the Resident Evil 2 Remake has been, now along with Resident Evil 4 Remake, people taking influence again makes sense. I'm not trying to justify every person that does that, but it's not that surprising nor worth getting upset about as far as I'm concerned. You're going to have your developers that do a badly of course, but I usually know to avoid those. This version of alone in the dark is influenced by RE2R and the original Silent Hill 2. I prefer SH3 myself, but I am not minding the influence.

Though like I said, not every game is copying resident evil. That's why I gave you that video so you can look through. You have options, you just have to be interested in them or not.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I appreciate the lookout, but you don't speak for me. I can decide myself just fine. I may not be picking it up immediately, but I'm still invested.
What? You just spoke for yourself and I agreed you wouldn't see a problem. Because you like Resident Evil and I don't.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What? You just spoke for yourself and I agreed you wouldn't see a problem. Because you like Resident Evil and I don't.
My bad. I misread that when I barely woke up. Even the 2024 reboot wasn't RE inspired, I would still be interested because it's a Alone in The Dark game with actual effort put into to it. The people who made this game clearly love the originals and it shows. I'll take this new one, any day of the week over that shitty reboot from 2007, nor other "reboot" that's a multiplayer only "game" shat out by Atari during the late 2010s.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whoa, that one's sizzling.
To elaborate further:

• Better support character. I love Sheva and find her much more interesting than Ashley. Yes the AI can be a mixed bag at times, but as long as you arm her with a sniper rifle or machine gun, she works fine. It's the same vice versa, if you're playing a She a and let the AI control Chris. I do wish we got to see more of her actual backstory and not just found it file notes. Seriously capcom, you couldn't give her a brief 1 to 3 minute flashback?
  • Though more linear than the previous game, it's not a bad thing. The levels don't drag on and they're still plenty of open in the past you can take or side paths that rewards you for finding hidden collectibles or taking the risk with enemies involved.
  • Easier quick time events*. Granted, this is only available, if you have the 8th generation versions of the game. The qtes are still not that bad, but they are more difficult when playing on the harder difficulties.
  • You get better melee options. Chris, Sheva, and all the characters featured in mercenaries have better melee options compared to Leon or those in mercenaries most in the previous game. You get literally three or four different daylight options based off where enemy is hit, if you're in front or behind them, or if they're on the ground. If you kneecap a person and then go behind them either character has a move that counts as an instant kill when the button prop comes up. I can't wait to see you what they pull off for RE5R. I will bring up my possible guesses and theories in the Resident Evil thread.
  • And even better Mercenaries Mode, that is unlocked from the start if you have the PS4 or Xbox One versions. The other two bonus modes are fine from what I remember, but I haven't touched them. Most fans like Lost Nightmares, but dislike or mixed about Desperate Escape. All I know is that they're both still better compared to Separate Ways and Assignment Ada.
  • A much better story and original closing off point for the series. Yes I said it. I know people like it already for story for how bad it is, but I never cared much for it, until RE4R made it great. Miami long admitted he hates the story, and the fact that he rushed it with all the script he writes and only had two weeks to do it.
  • Much better pacing. The fourth game is technically shorter, but but drags pretty much as soon as you get to the island. The 15 goes have some drag, but it's nowhere near as long and it goes by out of brisker pace as far as I'm concerned and experienced.
The only things RE4 has over 5 is better boss variety and better inventory. There should gave been at least 12 slots total instead of 9 per character. RE5's best boss fights are mainly those that involve Wesker, or that bat scorpion boss around the end of chapter 2. No problem with the bosses is that they're either just giant insect hybrid, giant arachnids, or a walking body of worms known as Uroboros. And if it isn't those, it's usually giant boss you have to kill with a turret gun or something. I admit that at least the excela boss fight does something interesting with it, but you're more or less doing the same thing, except we have a giant orbital satellite to mix up the pace.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
After many web searches to check videogame frame rate performances before buying anything, a pattern emerges with palpable consistency between how outcomes are communicated;

60fps or above performance usually gets presented as is straight away, no fluff or rhetorical dancing preceding the info.

But 30fps lock or similarly close performance gets at least a solid paragraph to introduce the actual numbers, and when those numbers are eventually fessed up, they're always but always delivered right after the timeless qualifying words "smooth and stable" - so if the search engine previews cut off after those words yet before the numbers, which they've done for me on multiple occasions, just know you don't need to click any further...that shit is 30fps garunteed!

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Modern games are cluttered with so much detail in order to be realistic that the game becomes walking around moving the camera at everything to make button prompts appear because you can't otherwise tell what is pickupable. This is boring.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Modern games are cluttered with so much detail in order to be realistic that the game becomes walking around moving the camera at everything to make button prompts appear because you can't otherwise tell what is pickupable. This is boring.

Try playing the opposite of those kinds of modern games!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Old games had the same problem. Click on every pixel of the screen in this point and click adventure game to see what you can interact with. Sometimes the thing you can interact with won't recognize that you clicked on it because you clicked on the wrong part of it.

The only time this problem didn't exist was in the switch from pixels to polygons, but then those games had their own problems, mostly the fact that they were ugly as sin and no one knew how to control a 3D camera.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Most games aren't killed by another game. They are killed by themselves ie the company who created killed it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There's plenty of modern games that don't play like that or use the old-school/practical things that work.

Old games had the same problem. Click on every pixel of the screen in this point and click adventure game to see what you can interact with. Sometimes the thing you can interact with won't recognize that you clicked on it because you clicked on the wrong part of it.

The only time this problem didn't exist was in the switch from pixels to polygons, but then those games had their own problems, mostly the fact that they were ugly as sin and no one knew how to control a 3D camera.
Took the words right of my mouth.

Most games aren't killed by another game. They are killed by themselves ie the company who created killed it.
That's not a hot take, that's a fact of life.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

For every "Halo-killer" that was released, 343 was what actually ended up killing Halo.