BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are two kinds of videogames.

Either you can jump off a moving elevator or you can't.
And why is this a problem or hot take exactly? The only games I know where you can jump off of moving elevators and make it an entire gameplay mechanic are the Elevator Action games.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And why is this a problem or hot take exactly? The only games I know where you can jump off of moving elevators and make it an entire gameplay mechanic are the Elevator Action games.
And yet you seem to be disputing it so it must be a hot take.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Old games had the same problem. Click on every pixel of the screen in this point and click adventure game to see what you can interact with. Sometimes the thing you can interact with won't recognize that you clicked on it because you clicked on the wrong part of it.

The only time this problem didn't exist was in the switch from pixels to polygons, but then those games had their own problems, mostly the fact that they were ugly as sin and no one knew how to control a 3D camera.
I think Soulsborne does it alright by having all pickupables being held by corpses with a glowing white ball thing over them but that probably wouldn't work for every game.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I think Soulsborne does it alright by having all pickupables being held by corpses with a glowing white ball thing over them but that probably wouldn't work for every game.
And chests! Who can resist opening a lonesome looking treasure chest, especially accompanied by good animations.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
a glowing white ball thing over them but that probably wouldn't work for every game.
That's more or less what Resident Evil and most survival horror games did back in the PS1 and PS2 days. An important key item, weapon, whatever usually has a white sparkle/shine against the CG pre-rendered or 3D backgrounds.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
There's a spot in Demon's Souls 3-1 (Prison of Hope) where you can mantle over a ledge. This is the only time you do this in the game, and the spot is not marked in any way, and there's no way to know that you can interact with that spot unless you walk up and rub your face on it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
As a DnD player I have a very healthy fear of chests sitting on their own in strange places.
And also of nonthreatening hallways. Or bridges. Or doors. Or stairs. Or just floors. Walls. Ceilings. Buttons and levers are especially to fear.

You know, best not to trust anything you come across, save for your party.

On second thought, best not trust those either. Could be a doppelganger, or a deep sleep agent, or just a traitorous asshole.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I find the graphics/performance mode almost pointless. I am never taking graphics mode, even if you gave me a 4K TV for free. Why have the game performance worse and barely look better? I'll take performance 60fps mode every single time. I want my gameplay to be as quick and snappy as possible.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I find the graphics/performance mode almost pointless. I am never taking graphics mode, even if you gave me a 4K TV for free. Why have the game performance worse and barely look better? I'll take performance 60fps mode every single time. I want my gameplay to be as quick and snappy as possible.
There are some games where more fps =/= better gameplay. For example, something like Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't make any sense to run in performance mode. 60fps does not make a turn based game play better than 30fps, but you can make the game look prettier.

Performance mode matters in games were timing and reflexes matter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are some games where more fps =/= better gameplay. For example, something like Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't make any sense to run in performance mode. 60fps does not make a turn based game play better than 30fps, but you can make the game look prettier.
That's some of the time. For games like BG3, it's makes sense, but plenty of RPGs from the Japanese especially are able to run at 60fps with next to none problems.

Which is a large majority of games. Most of the games I or other people are playing, have timing, reflex, and reaction time. If I mess up or enter fail state in a game, then it should be my fault. But if I fail because of the framerate or having better graphics, then it's a huge issue. With how expensive these games and consoles are, a locked 30fps shouldn't even be issue now. It's even more inexcusable now than it was back during 7th generation. I am not an fps snob, but most of these games should be running at 60 or more with little issues.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

If you're not running Battle Chess at at least 300Hz then you're a scrub.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's some of the time. For games like BG3, it's makes sense, but plenty of RPGs from the Japanese especially are able to run at 60fps with next to none problems.

Which is a large majority of games. Most of the games I or other people are playing, have timing, reflex, and reaction time. If I mess up or enter fail state in a game, then it should be my fault. But if I fail because of the framerate or having better graphics, then it's a huge issue. With how expensive these games and consoles are, a locked 30fps shouldn't even be issue now. It's even more inexcusable now than it was back during 7th generation. I am not an fps snob, but most of these games should be running at 60 or more with little issues.
I don't disagree. It's part of the reason I can't stand the Nintendo Switch, because even first party Nintendo titles can't run smoothly on it and barely hit 30 fps. I don't want to play Breath of the Wild at 25 FPS.

But like I said, there are games were FPS doesn't matter, and in those games Resolution/Fidelity/Graphics/Quality mode totally makes sense to use over performance mode, and that's why it's there. Baldur's Gate 3, Yakuza 8 and Infinite Wealth, the Persona Games, any turn based tactics game like X-Com all don't need to run at high frames. Slower paced and turn based games aren't going anywhere. Not everything is an action game or shooter.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Helldivers 2 is a fun game, but the memes and community around the game is way better than the game itself.

It makes me wonder how many people are playing this game just because of the memes and the ongoing storyline, and how many people actually have no interaction with the community outside of the game itself.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Helldivers 2 is a fun game, but the memes and community around the game is way better than the game itself.

It makes me wonder how many people are playing this game just because of the memes and the ongoing storyline, and how many people actually have no interaction with the community outside of the game itself.
Literally just started it and I gotta agree, having a lot of fun playing it, but there's been plenty of game like it before. Just goes to show putting the tiniest of effort into having decent writing will pay off hundred of time over.