Your video game hot take(s) thread

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't recall saying 2D good, 3D bad. You're projecting onto me.
I specifically quoted Dreiko laying into "female streamers" as a concept. That's why I used "he" instead of "you"
If you can't tell the difference between ribbing someone in a friendly way and actively attacking someone verbally (Particularly when Korone even apologized, saying he didn't actually do anything wrong) then I don't know what to tell you other than maybe the problem lies with you.
Sure I can. The difference is mainly having a corporate branded anime mask. It's easier to not take offense when you're talking to a fictional character

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I specifically quoted Dreiko laying into "female streamers" as a concept. That's why I used "he" instead of "you"

Sure I can. The difference is mainly having a corporate branded anime mask. It's easier to not take offense when you're talking to a fictional character
That's just inaccurate. The tone and demeanor is the actual difference here, not the anime avatar. And again I was addressing the same group you addressed as being treated unfairly for not having the avatars, I was explaining what it is about those characters that we do enjoy.

Just because it differs from your wrong view on what it actually is doesn't make it untrue, and just because if your view would be correct my comment would be laying into female streamers doesn't change the fact that I was actually just describing the differences in the subsect of them that do not have such attitude.

You are jumping on the conclusion that I was speaking about all of them, when it is more rational to surmise that I was only speaking about the minority of them that act thus, with the vast majority being kind and nice and well-adjusted streamers who do not recieve such hate that is reserved for the rude ones. (since, you know, most streamers in general don't get hate just like that without doing anything, so for my comment to be that broad you'd need to have a situation where every streamer ever is getting hate lol)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You are jumping on the conclusion that I was speaking about all of them, when it is more rational to surmise that I was only speaking about the minority of them that act thus, with the vast majority being kind and nice and well-adjusted streamers who do not recieve such hate that is reserved for the rude ones. (since, you know, most streamers in general don't get hate just like that without doing anything, so for my comment to be that broad you'd need to have a situation where every streamer ever is getting hate lol)
Neat. Probably should've said that because I *was* speaking in general. Mostly because streamers get gender or racial hate based on nothing a fair bit of the time. See also, the rotating pogchamp emote causing people to attack streamers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With SFV's many problems, most of which have already been fixed, combos and special moves being easier to pull of were the least of my problems. I enjoy mechanics that are easier pull off. It's not like anything major was loss, because you can't blindly spam attacks or button mash your way to victory. Exploits are always a given, but fighting games are made to be fun first, balance comes third or dead last. SFV did suffer heavily for trying to cater to the tournament crowd, E-Sports, and ESPN. Capcom paid for it big time. It was around the 2nd season and 3rd season they finally remembered that these games are supposed to be fun. F-U-N! FUN!

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
  • OverWatch should have been a multiplayer brawler a la Anarchy Reigns.
  • Killzone and Resistance > Halo.

• The Legend of Korra game on consoles/PC was not good. Not even decent. The fact it got delisted, while sad, did not bother me in the slightest.
It's certainly their right to remove it, but can't say I'm fond of people removing stuff from stores. Probably impossible for me to get it for instance without a digital storefront.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's certainly their right to remove it, but can't say I'm fond of people removing stuff from stores. Probably impossible for me to get it for instance without a digital storefront.
That is why I always prefer physical copies of games. I am a strong believer in that regard. You may not be able to get TMNT & Transformers Devastation digital anymore, but at least they bothered to make physical copies you can get secondhand. I still have the latter on PS4. Got the disc and case it came in. That's problem with digital only: once its gone, it's gone. Look at Scott Pilgrim. You can get copies now that Ubisoft bothered to bring it back, but there is still no physical version in sight.

Overwatch I would have been more interested in if the game had a single player to begin with. I know the sequel is fixing this, but that's not the point. Character designs such as these are begging to be in third person. You can still have characters with projectiles and ranged weaponry work, just mixing it in right with the melee combat. Tracer could have a Bayonetta style dodge due to her speed. Widowmaker would be balanced with weak melee, strong in and highly proficient with her guns. Etc, etc.

Resistance and Killzone I find more interesting in world and design. I was never a big Halo fan to start. I played the games, but never owned them. Killzone, your fighting space Nazi and are on colorful worlds. The first game is crap, and I agree, but the sequels are fun. I played 2 & 3 at a friends and later my brother's when he had a PS3. Restiance I love for the unique take on alternate WWII where you're fighting aliens. 1 was decent, but really difficult. R2 could be fun, but I wish they did not go full COD/Halo with the two weapon limit and regeneratiing health (of the screen turns blood red variety). R3, the best in the series, brings back a lot of old school FPS mechanics. Weapon wheel, actual health meters, and health packs you can pick up. A shooter that used the old-school fundmentals well, and was not just another COD/Halo/"Cinematic" FPS clone. Both Killzone and Resistance deserve ports on PS4 and PS5. Both franchises knew when to end, other than Killzone: Shadowfall. I can ignore Shadowfall though. I know Sony is more focused on their 3rd person games, but there is no reason not to do this.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Killzone, your fighting space Nazi and are on colorful worlds.
Are you?

Killzone basically looks like Space Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, dull brown with random color filters laid on top.

Are you really going to try and tell me that this is more colorful and has more interesting visual design than Halo?

1611515085039.png

1611515183998.png

1611515246553.png

The only one of the Killzone games that could be described as "colorful" is 4.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Killzone basically looks like Space Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, dull brown with random filters color filters laid on top.
Colorful in comparison to most other shooters of real is brown variety. I know I was exaggerating. I still found Killzone more interesting than COD or Halo. So that's just me. Visually, Halo does have more going on (Bulletstorm too, but not as much), but I don't care. Like I said before, I was never a Halo fan nor enamored with the series much. I did not "hate" it, but I find the series gets less interesting with each numbered installment or mainline entry. Microsoft clearly does not know what to do with the series anymore. Should have ended at 3 like Resistance.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Colorful in comparison to most other shooters of real is brown variety.
I wouldn't even go that far. I would actually consider Call of Duty and Battlefield to be more colorful than Killzone. Not by a lot, but I honestly can't think of any actually colorful levels from Killzone where the color isn't just a filtered overlay.

I think it's a purposeful aesthetic decision to make the Helghast and their red eyes stand out more against the environments, but I'm honestly having trouble thinking of another mainline shooter from the big three that has such a limited color pallet.

I guess Gears of War, but it was just the first one that was completely colorless and de-saturated. They got much more colorful as the series went on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wouldn't even go that far. I would actually consider Call of Duty and Battlefield to be more colorful than Killzone. Not by a lot, but I honestly can't think of any actually colorful levels from Killzone where the color isn't just a filtered overlay.
Still find Killzone more interesting regardless.

I think it's a purposeful aesthetic decision to make the Helghast and their red eyes stand out more against the environments, but I'm honestly having trouble thinking of another mainline shooter from the big three that has such a limited color pallet.
Exactly why it stands out more for me.

I guess Gears of War, but it was just the first one that was completely colorless and de-saturated. They got much more colorful as the series went on.
Gears started getting color in the third game. I remember there were some people complaining about it saying it was "too colorful". Then Gears 4 & 5 happened and they're even more colorful than 3. It made sense story wise, as Terra (or whatever it's called in the Gears universe) was killing off the remaining aliens and the world was slowly recovering. 4 & 5 take it to the logical conclusion as it's many decades after.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pssst, fyi, you can currently pre-order a physical copy at Limited Run. Pretty expensive option, as usual, but if you really want one ...
I never played it when it was last available and it looks like a throwback to the old beat'ems of my youth, like the Simpsons one or TMNT, etc. I have no idea if it's actually fun to play though.

And unfortunately, the Ubisoft part still gives me Pause.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I never played it when it was last available and it looks like a throwback to the old beat'ems of my youth, like the Simpsons one or TMNT, etc. I have no idea if it's actually fun to play though.

No idea, haven't played it either. Reading Brawlman's post just made me remember having seen the physical copy thing. Also, ditto on Ubisoft, shitlist mainstay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

No idea, haven't played it either. Reading Brawlman's post just made me remember having seen the physical copy thing. Also, ditto on Ubisoft, shitlist mainstay.
The game is fun. Do not let the Ubisoft label fool you.The Montreal division made the game in 2010 and this was when they still kinda cared. That said, the game's RPG elements I find mostly pointless, and causes the game to get grind heavy towards the end or on harder difficulties. With Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls out, I am less inclined to buy it, but I do recommend the game for those interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

KZ3 specifically addressed the lack of color and level variety in general. The games were more about aesthetics in motion, which still hold up today imo.

KZ2 was overall the high point, whereas 3 pushed the tech more but cut corners in other ways.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never understood critics who said RE2Remake has limited or no enemy variety, yet highly praise RE7 despite it having the worst enemy variety. RE2R only lost the birds, spiders, and the giant moth. The third monster you had to go out of your way to find in a specific room, and others rarely spawned or were tied only to specific rooms. RE2R gave you zombies (with multiple varieties of them; especially in the bonus modes), zombie dogs, Lickers, Ivys' (revamped from how they originally played or appeared), and G babies (original a mini boss, but got turned in to an elite mook). Plus, you got Mr. X on your ass for about half of the game. RE3R definitely has more enemy variety than 2, but the same applied to the originals back to back. Even in RE3R, one monster did not make it back. The Brain Sucker, a slightly tougher version of the Drain Deimos. There is also the giant worm, but that is more of a boss example. Never liked it anyway and was only there to pad the game.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I believe the best written 'step on me' type woman character in videogames has to be Morrigan from the first Dragon Age. Almost every line was pure snarky comedy gold delivered wonderfully by Claudia Black, and it's refreshing to have a team character in a videogame who isn't always fawning over your pre-determined brilliance, especially from a lady NPC. She was a regular pick for adventures cause I like being stepped on by cutting words, it helps maintain perspective too!