Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I take it a step further than that, and still use wired peripherals whenever I can. Keyboard? Wired. Mouse? Wired. Headphones? Yup. Dualshock 4? You betcha. Because I absolutely despise having to halt a session to swap batteries or charge a device.
I do the exact same for my Switch.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I take it a step further than that, and still use wired peripherals whenever I can. Keyboard? Wired. Mouse? Wired. Headphones? Yup. Dualshock 4? You betcha. Because I absolutely despise having to halt a session to swap batteries or charge a device.
I have to use a wireless keyboard and mouse for my TV. I also don't like the cable for my mouse dragging on the desk. Mechanical keyboard on my desk, headphones that I use with my desk and TV and headphones that I take outside are all wired.

Looks like my brother hates lithium ion batteries too. :|

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yup, same.

When I move into my new house next month I'll really need to do some work with cable management. I've always been pretty lazy about it when living in an apartment because of the expectation of "well I'm going to move in a year anyway so might as well not bother" so the area around and under my computer is currently an ugly mess of wires.

Anyone got any good cable management solutions that don't look like ass or require me to drill into my desk?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yup, same.

When I move into my new house next month I'll really need to do some work with cable management. I've always been pretty lazy about it when living in an apartment because of the expectation of "well I'm going to move in a year anyway so might as well not bother" so the area around and under my computer is currently an ugly mess of wires.

Anyone got any good cable management solutions that don't look like ass or require me to drill into my desk?
Tape. Lots of tape.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Tape. Lots of tape.
Make sure it's electric tape. There are people that are dumb enough to use medical tape on their electronic equipment, and either damage it or break it worse. I've seen this happen at least three different times before.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
In a similar vein to;
Tape. Lots of tape.
Make sure it's electric tape. There are people that are dumb enough to use medical tape on their electronic equipment, and either damage it or break it worse. I've seen this happen at least three different times before.
I suggest zip-ties. A bit easier to deal with and no glue/adhesive residue after the fact, which is nice for the hot areas behind your computer. If you need to move wires in and out a lot, you could also find velcro-strap/loop things for wire looms too.
For longer bits of wire or wiring between rooms, the classic stand-by of electric staples work great too.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yup, same.

Basically a good APC power strip and enough desk to hide most-everything going to it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yup, same.

Tape. Lots of tape.
In a similar vein to;

I suggest zip-ties. A bit easier to deal with and no glue/adhesive residue after the fact, which is nice for the hot areas behind your computer. If you need to move wires in and out a lot, you could also find velcro-strap/loop things for wire looms too.
For longer bits of wire or wiring between rooms, the classic stand-by of electric staples work great too.
Tape and zip ties are good for permanent wiring but for PC cable management they are a terrible idea.

Go to an office supply shop and buy a long ass roll of Velcro. You can cut it to length like tape, it’s as strong as zip ties in terms of keeping things together. But unlike tape or (most) zip ties the Velcro is reusable to an almost infinite degree. So if you need to change things it’s a simple procedure.

EDIT: this is the stuff I'm talking about. If the office suppliers don't carry it, check with a communications tech supplier.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
When ppl promote the portability of the Switch, one of the common points I've heard is "you can take it with you in the toilet for toilet gaming!" Dark Souls double-tasking with your poops!" Which, ok, tbf I added that last half, but it is the implication taken away from these claims. Claims of which I have tried to test, with consistently disappointing results. There is no time for gaming when you gotta shift the shit! It's all about getting in and out as efficiently as possible while hoping no telltale fragrances linger on your clothing for others to hypothesise on your most recent, intimate activities.

However, it is of use if you're pretending to go to the toilet just to escape the anxieties of being around tumultuous overbearing humans you've somehow found yourself trapped in the same house with. Alright Nintendo, put that on the next unrealistically trendy advert you do for the console.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When ppl promote the portability of the Switch, one of the common points I've heard is "you can take it with you in the toilet for toilet gaming!" Dark Souls double-tasking with your poops!" Which, ok, tbf I added that last half, but it is the implication taken away from these claims. Claims of which I have tried to test, with consistently disappointing results. There is no time for gaming when you gotta shift the shit! It's all about getting in and out as efficiently as possible while hoping no telltale fragrances linger on your clothing for others to hypothesise on your most recent, intimate activities.

However, it is of use if you're pretending to go to the toilet just to escape the anxieties of being around tumultuous overbearing humans you've somehow found yourself trapped in the same house with. Alright Nintendo, put that on the next unrealistically trendy advert you do for the console.
I never take my Switch to the bathroom. That's just unsanitary. I rarely ever play my Switch in portable mode. I like to keep my habits separate from each other. Besides, that's what the pause button is for.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Well, see you need to be on the toliet when you suddenly walk in on the Capra Demon because that way when you shit a brick you're good and don't need to change your pants.

I'll show myself out.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I never take my Switch to the bathroom. That's just unsanitary. I rarely ever play my Switch in portable mode. I like to keep my habits separate from each other. Besides, that's what the pause button is for.
Good point. I saw studies revealing how filthy regular computer keyboards can be. I don't need fecal bacteria on my controllers on top of that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

It makes sense as a selling point when you consider their home market - Japan - can have public transport commutes up to and including two hours for work/school. In fact, if there is a given feature on a Nintendo product that confuses you and you aren't Japanese, your first action should be to try and see where that feature fits in the social fabric of that country as best you are able.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I stan Assassins Creed

Ok, ok, look, I know all the criticisms. I even agree with pretty much all of them. But I don't care- I still love it.
To me, the games were always about parkouring and murdering around a beautifully rendered historical setting world. Nothing else really matters. It's the only franchise that offers this specific gameplay, which I happen to really really love. Therefore they should keep making them and I will keep playing and replaying them.

With that in mind, lemme address some of the franchise criticism in a non-productive way:

- The story is stupid and doesn't make sense, with the Isu and the apples and all that crap.
Correct. It's stupid and silly, like a Dan Brown novel. Makes it perfect for an action game where you play through conspiracies with secret organizations.

- The games are way too long now
Not if you like the gameplay, and if it's the only franchise that offers it. Yes, I will agree with everyone that the "Ubisoft model" of maps with icons and 1000 of the same missions is a cancer. I will never play a Far Cry game because I don't like first-person shooters. But I don't mind clearing the AC maps because of the setting, and the fun movement and fighting mechanics, and it looks so pretty.

- The gameplay is shit
*shrugs* I dunno, honestly I have seen this criticism about literally every single AAA game franchise except maybe.... Forza? I dig it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm gonna do another one, why not:

Yes, The Witcher 3 is that great. GOAT. Deserving of all the accolades.
I am considering this a "hot take" because there's been a backlash from people sick of all the hype and praise and I get it, it's annoying. But lately I'm seeing, like, oh it's shit combat and oh we always AHCHCHOOLLY knew that CDProjRed was shit because lol Cyberpunk and all that.

And, like... no, no, we were right, it's great.
In fact, I haven't seen an action adventure open world fantasy RPG that even comes close, even by reputation or consensus opinion. I would go so far to say that I don't even know how it can be improved upon from a world-setting and narrative perspective. It's a huge game but not TOO huge that it's overwhelming (yes, I agree that the main plot ending is paced really weird though). But this game's specific quest structure, world design and just general "flow" of cut scenes, gameplay and mechanics come together better than anything I've ever experience in a Big Open World.

And this is with all the criticism even I have of it (shit loot and XP/leveling system). As a "pure RPG" it's crap but as an action/adventure/open-word it is incomparable, and that kind of game hits a broader audience that's why we love it so much.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

I am considering this a "hot take" because there's been a backlash from people sick of all the hype and praise and I get it, it's annoying. But lately I'm seeing, like, oh it's shit combat and oh we always AHCHCHOOLLY knew that CDProjRed was shit because lol Cyberpunk and all that.

In fact, I haven't seen an action adventure open world fantasy RPG that even comes close, even by reputation or consensus opinion. I would go so far to say that I don't even know how it can be improved upon from a world-setting and narrative perspective. It's a huge game but not TOO huge that it's overwhelming (yes, I agree that the main plot ending is paced really weird though). But this game's specific quest structure, world design and just general "flow" of cut scenes, gameplay and mechanics come together better than anything I've ever experience in a Big Open World.

And this is with all the criticism even I have of it (shit loot and XP/leveling system). As a "pure RPG" it's crap but as an action/adventure/open-word it is incomparable, and that kind of game hits a broader audience that's why we love it so much.
I don't know, I tried playing Witcher 3 and got about 20 hours in before I dropped it from boredom. The combat is not very good. If you're comparing it to something like Skyrim then sure the Witcher 3's combat absolutely blows that out of the water, but in comparison to action games or even some other action RPGs (like the Souls games) the combat is rather bland and not balanced very well.

The characters are great and the dialogue and RPG parts are fun and well written, but the quest structure is also not very good. Every single quest is:

1. Find the starting point
2. Follow trail of glowing red blotches on the ground using Witcher vision
3. Kill thing at the end of the trail

That's it, that's every single quest.

So yeah, I think there's a lot of room for improvement, especially with regards to the quest structure, which was my biggest issue with the game. There's only so many times I can follow a trail of red splotches before I just don't care. The plot also didn't hold my attention. I was told by my friends that I stopped playing before the plot actually "got going" but if the plot hasn't gotten going 20 hours in I'm not sure why I'm playing and having my time wasted.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
...That's it, that's every single quest.
But... it's not?

You described many of the contracts, sure (though even some of those have some twists). But quests? Nah.

I mean, look, if you don't like the game or find it interesting, of course, sure, I'm not gonna argue an opinion, I think we all get that.
But if you played 20 hours I'm gonna guess you at least made it out of the intro section White Orchard. That area alone has quests that are not that simplistic model. I wouldn't ever tell anyone "oh you have to play 30 hrs for it to get good" or any of that nonsense. 20 hours may even be long enough to complete the Bloody Baron quest line which is beloved because it is the opposite of the simplistic quest structure you list.

Again I'm not trying to make anyone like a game, I'm just saying that the memed/made-fun-of repeated opinion that W3 is GOAT at least comes from a reasonable place, despite the obnoxiousness of fanboys like myself.

Granted it helps I genuinely like the combat and I don't think it's fair to compare to Dark Souls (which I also love). If W3 had DS combat it would like a million hrs to finish for a normie casual like me.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
But... it's not?

You described many of the contracts, sure (though even some of those have some twists). But quests? Nah.

I mean, look, if you don't like the game or find it interesting, of course, sure, I'm not gonna argue an opinion, I think we all get that.
But if you played 20 hours I'm gonna guess you at least made it out of the intro section White Orchard. That area alone has quests that are not that simplistic model. I wouldn't ever tell anyone "oh you have to play 30 hrs for it to get good" or any of that nonsense. 20 hours may even be long enough to complete the Bloody Baron quest line which is beloved because it is the opposite of the simplistic quest structure you list.

Again I'm not trying to make anyone like a game, I'm just saying that the memed/made-fun-of repeated opinion that W3 is GOAT at least comes from a reasonable place, despite the obnoxiousness of fanboys like myself.

Granted it helps I genuinely like the combat and I don't think it's fair to compare to Dark Souls (which I also love). If W3 had DS combat it would like a million hrs to finish for a normie casual like me.
I don't think that Witcher 3 is a bad game, but I think a large part of the reason that Witcher 3 is so beloved is because it's a long game with a big world that other people were able to get lost in, and the rest of the mechanics were just "good enough" for them to enjoy their time with the game without getting bored. To me those same mechanics were not good enough to carry the game. It's the same reason that the average person loves Skyrim and I can't stand it.

So I totally understand people loving Witcher 3 and thinking it's GOTY material. If I only had $200 a year to spend on video games Witcher 3 is an absolutely amazing killer deal with tons of content.

For me personally though, I would have preferred less content for a tighter story and fewer more involved and more interesting quests and more involved and better combat. The length of the game and the amount of side content makes me feel like I'm wasting my time and keeping me from playing other games that I would be enjoying more. That's why it's not even close to a GOTY contender for me, and why I've never bothered to go back and finish it. Every hour I'm playing it is an hour I'm not playing something else, and I don't enjoy Witcher 3 thoroughly enough that I want to sacrifice play time in another game in order to finish Witcher 3.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The pointless leveling (I’m already supposed to be a “master” Witcher ffs!) due to sequelitis and excessive loot management criticisms I share wholeheartedly. Another would be the excess of map icons by default, but then again I’ve never actually bothered turning any of them off to try playing the game more naturally without a ton of distractions.

Reactions: Dalisclock