Your video game hot take(s) thread

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I finally broke down and got Cyberpunk 2077 during the winter sale. I was leary of it after seeing all the controversy, and knowing it was in development for nearly a decade, which is never a good sign. I'm having fun with it, but the amount of bugs and glitches still in the game made me start thinking it was a Bethesda game instead of CDPR. When I saw models drop spawn into the world A-posing and start walking normally when they hit ground while another NPC repeatedly walked into a wall I caught myself saying "Typical Bethesda," out loud.
Cyberpunk wasn’t being developed for nearly ten years though. Sure we got a teaser for it right after the Witcher 2 was released, but the team was working on the Witcher 3 and it’s dlcs during that time.

Having said that, the game needed a few more years before seeing the light of day.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I finally broke down and got Cyberpunk 2077 during the winter sale. I was leary of it after seeing all the controversy, and knowing it was in development for nearly a decade, which is never a good sign. I'm having fun with it, but the amount of bugs and glitches still in the game made me start thinking it was a Bethesda game instead of CDPR. When I saw models drop spawn into the world A-posing and start walking normally when they hit ground while another NPC repeatedly walked into a wall I caught myself saying "Typical Bethesda," out loud.

Cyberpunk wasn’t being developed for nearly ten years though. Sure we got a teaser for it right after the Witcher 2 was released, but the team was working on the Witcher 3 and it’s dlcs during that time.

Having said that, the game needed a few more years before seeing the light of day.
Yeah I got it at launch but couldn’t play anymore when I actually got into the city because it kept crashing. They apparently fixed thousands of bugs but doesn’t seem like they’ve yet squashed much of the bigger ones.

IMO cyberpunk 2077 is way better than witcher 3. TW3 quest being repetitive is not a joke, outside of story quest all of them are just the same. It's an open world game that seriously suffer from being open world, environments are repetitive and the world is mostly empty, there's nothing to explore, all the side quests are just boring and the distribution of quest/enemy is all wrong with high level stuff in the middle of low level stuff for no reason. Combat is really boring, not like "its boring for a game that get so much praise" but just straight up boring, the optimal strategy is button mashing, that's it, that's the entire game. Magics aren't worth using (except the one that make you invincible which is just broken), explosive aren't worth using, potion aren't worth using. Just button mash. Looting isn't intersting, there's no fun effect, it's all stats boost. Enemy lack variety and are all dealt with the same way (spoiler, button mash). The game has you use two swords, but there's no difference between them. There's a talent tree but no matter how you buid your character you'll always play the same (you know it, button mash).

All witcher 3 has is good graphic and writing, make it into a tight 10 hours experience with no combat and it would deserves its praise, but as is, its 6/10 at most (and I'd say CB2077 would be an 8/10),
But shouldn’t a game at least being fully functional with minimally broken design/mechanics factor in there somehow?

Reactions: BrawlMan

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Tape and zip ties are good for permanent wiring but for PC cable management they are a terrible idea.

Go to an office supply shop and buy a long ass roll of Velcro. You can cut it to length like tape, it’s as strong as zip ties in terms of keeping things together. But unlike tape or (most) zip ties the Velcro is reusable to an almost infinite degree. So if you need to change things it’s a simple procedure.

EDIT: this is the stuff I'm talking about. If the office suppliers don't carry it, check with a communications tech supplier.
They actually sell velcro cable ties, so you don’t have to deal with measuring and cutting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
But shouldn’t a game at least being fully functional with minimally broken design/mechanics factor in there somehow?
Played both a couple of months after they release and TW3 was way more broken than CB2077 (and that was after they had to patch the freaking movement of all things). No major problem with CB2077, minor visual glitch (never saw anyone T-pause, only some clipping or rarely texture would fail to load in the distance), maybe 2 crashes across 150 hours or so and I couldn't purchase one car cause it phase trough the ground. Nothing I'd call broken design, the closest was the game was obviously supposed to have a transit system but ended up not having one, that's about it. That was on quite a low grade PC (mid range brought in 2016, GTX 970)

TW3 I had multiple crashes and quite a few side quests that were impossible to complete or even start. Having to constantly pause the game to use new grenade was way more broken than anything in 2077. That was on PS4.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Played both a couple of months after they release and TW3 was way more broken than CB2077 (and that was after they had to patch the freaking movement of all things). No major problem with CB2077, minor visual glitch (never saw anyone T-pause, only some clipping or rarely texture would fail to load in the distance), maybe 2 crashes across 150 hours or so and I couldn't purchase one car cause it phase trough the ground. Nothing I'd call broken design, the closest was the game was obviously supposed to have a transit system but ended up not having one, that's about it. That was on quite a low grade PC (mid range brought in 2016, GTX 970)

TW3 I had multiple crashes and quite a few side quests that were impossible to complete or even start. Having to constantly pause the game to use new grenade was way more broken than anything in 2077. That was on PS4.

So you played CP2077 on PC and TW3 on PS4? I played both on the same PC, although the latter was more than two years after release and the former at release. I have a GTX1070 8GB and seventh gen i7. Might try CP again if only to see if it’s playable now at least. Frustrating because everything before hitting street level in the city ran pretty great. Was also wondering what the big deal with glitches was up to that point.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I’m not sure this is a still considered a hot take but considering the news SE found itself I wanted to spew it out. FF7 is one of the most overrated games in history and the series was never good in my opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m not sure this is a still considered a hot take but considering the news SE found itself I wanted to spew it out. FF7 is one of the most overrated games in history and the series was never good in my opinion.
I'm not complaining, but that hot take has been around since 2005.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know it’s old but I wonder if it’s an unpopular thing to even say it in light of the remake.
Only to the super hardcore. The general gaming population is either indifferent or does not care.

I said this before, and I'll say it again though, the FF7 Remake is a scam. They literally took a game and split it into two parts. Now people got to pay for the same game twice at $60 ($70)+, or whatever ridiculous amount they spent or are going to spend on, for the "Special Exclusive Cocksuckers Club Edition". I know that's something a lot of the hardcore fan base doesn't want to hear, but at least there was heavy pushback for the scheming that was the Epic Game store pricing for the PC version. So not all hope is lost for them or those in gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Only to the super hardcore. The general gaming population is either indifferent or does not care.

I said this before, and I'll say it again though, the Remake is a scam. They literally took a game and split it into two parts. Now people got to pay for the same game twice at $60 ($70)+, whatever ridiculous amount they spent or are going to spend on, for the "Special Exclusive Cocksuckers Club Edition". I know that's something a lot of the hardcore fan base doesn't want to hear, but at least there was heavy pushback for the scheming that was the Epic Game store pricing for the PC version. So not all hope is lost for them or those in gaming.
Oh I agree. They split it into multiple parts just to get more money from ff fans. Its laughable honestly.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I said this before, and I'll say it again though, the Remake is a scam. They literally took a game and split it into two parts. Now people got to pay for the same game twice at $60 ($70)+, whatever ridiculous amount they spent or are going to spend on, for the "Special Exclusive Cocksuckers Club Edition". I know that's something a lot of the hardcore fan base doesn't want to hear, but at least there was heavy pushback for the scheming that was the Epic Game store pricing for the PC version. So not all hope is lost for them or those in gaming.
You're assuming they're gonna finish it in the next game

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I don't think any FF game is actually good. I gave them a try, played half of FF6, all of FF10, and all of FF12. The gameplay is straight up ass. FF12 is the literal proof that a few lines of IF-THEN-ELSE statements (aka Gambits) will auto-play any FF game because of how basic and mind-numbing the combat is. FF12 was by far the best of my experience because I had to partake the least in the shit gameplay.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't think any FF game is actually good. I gave them a try, played half of FF6, all of FF10, and all of FF12. The gameplay is straight up ass. FF12 is the literal proof that a few lines of IF-THEN-ELSE statements (aka Gambits) will auto-play any FF game because of how basic and mind-numbing the combat is. FF12 was by far the best of my experience because I had to partake the least in the shit gameplay.
The combat isn't really the gameplay, you've pretty much always already won or lost a fight when it starts. The point is to built your party properly so that you can deal with the encounters and not to use too much resources (health/mana/items) so that you have enough to finish the dungeon.

They are pretty easy game overall so that detract from the gameplay, but that's an issue that plague many games.

As for the FF7 remake, I really doubt the next one will finish it, unless they heavily modify the story (which it sounds like that's what they'll do so who knows). But the Midgard section was about 1/4 of main quest, so they'd need to rush trough most of the remaining materials to finish it in 2 section. My guess is that, if they keep the story the same, next would maybe finish at Aerith death. That's where it would make the most sense narrativly, but would require making so much content that I'll doubt they'll even do that, maybe up to cosmos memory? Leaving the starting continent?

I don't really have an issue with splitting the game into many parts if they expanded on the individual section, there was a lot of room to expand Midgard, maybe more Avalanche missions (think transforming the reactor section into an ocean 11 heist with many missions leading up to it) or explore other sectors/top plate. But they didn't even bother doing that and just padded it with menial side activities.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The combat isn't really the gameplay, you've pretty much always already won or lost a fight when it starts. The point is to built your party properly so that you can deal with the encounters and not to use too much resources (health/mana/items) so that you have enough to finish the dungeon.

They are pretty easy game overall so that detract from the gameplay, but that's an issue that plague many games.
I find resource management games really hard to pull off. And FF is a poor example of that because of the unlimited encounters that people can grind and power level to actively avoid the "gameplay" then. If you had a setup like 10 specific fights before the boss, you can then very strictly design those fights on say HP. If fought properly each of the 10 fights should eat up say 10% of the party's HP and the boss will eat up 80% of party HP and then give the player the amount of health potions needed to get through the gauntlet so-to-speak. Every fight should require more resources than you get out of the fight making fights a net negative and having to mitigate that negative as much as possible. That's not how FF works. Also, if party management is the gameplay, then why even have active combat, just simulate it. There's sports games that don't actually have you play any games and they only simulate the games so it's all about roster construction, spending money wisely, etc. As a player I shouldn't be spending more time engaged in the something that is bad, and the FF games waste a majority of my time.