Your video game hot take(s) thread

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Borderlands 3 is the best Borderlands game and its quite a good game.
From a gameplay standpoint - absolutely, no contest.

But the writing and story really doesn't come close to BL2.

Which reminds me... I never did play the DLC for BL3...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
From a gameplay standpoint - absolutely, no contest.

But the writing and story really doesn't come close to BL2.

Which reminds me... I never did play the DLC for BL3...
I would say that the writing is better for everything except Handsome Jack. The calypso twins make good bad guys but Handsome Jack was top tier, no one could follow him. A lazy series would have just brought him back.

You should really do some of the DLC, the psycho dlc is fantastic and manages an emotional gut punch. I just started the wedding dlc and so far its really good too. The Handsome jackpot is good, but its been awhile an I haven't played the cowboy one yet.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
You know honestly despite what the discourse my say this is a real hot take.

1. Turning the down the difficulty if a game is too hard is just fucking fine. Anybody from from friends, to internet people, to gaming personalities and your friends who get their shit take views from those internets personalities can line up and lick your gentitals from the back.
  2. Sometimes a person who not familiar with a genre may have a decent take and bring something new than the reguritated points of the inner circle.
  3. We are in a time where why are we getting in a tizzy about games journalist. We have so many options of people to confirm your views it should not be a problem.
  4. Barbie Horse Adventure>Dark Souls

I would say that the writing is better for everything except Handsome Jack. The calypso twins make good bad guys but Handsome Jack was top tier, no one could follow him. A lazy series would have just brought him back.

You should really do some of the DLC, the psycho dlc is fantastic and manages an emotional gut punch. I just started the wedding dlc and so far its really good too. The Handsome jackpot is good, but its been awhile an I haven't played the cowboy one yet.
I do agree with this that BL3 has the best gameplay out of all of them but the writing and personality of 2 in the base game can not be topped and the base game of BL3 really missed that mark. But they did improve in the DLCs but BL3 just overall misses that spark that BL2 had.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I do agree with this that BL3 has the best gameplay out of all of them but the writing and personality of 2 in the base game can not be topped and the base game of BL3 really missed that mark. But they did improve in the DLCs but BL3 just overall misses that spark that BL2 had.
Disagree.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't consider the Borderlands games bad, at least the ones I played, I just don't find them interesting. I'll give credit to the characters and art design. Yet, I couldn't get into the core gameplay loop. Looter shooters do nothing for me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't consider the Borderlands games bad, at least the ones I played, I just don't find them interesting. I'll give credit to the characters and art design. Yet, I couldn't get into the core gameplay loop. Looter shooters do nothing for me.
If you want to try getting into them then I would say 3 is the best one to start with. You will be behind on the story and who these characters are since characters from earlier games show up in later ones. But, the gameplay is so much better in 3, plus it doesn't take forever to get class abilities and the starting weapons aren't shit.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
This is in regards to the outrage that the upcoming Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack Service (which contains N64 and Genesis games) costing 50 dollars a year's worth of a subscription.

Me: You are also the same people that would donate 50 dollars or more to a random Twitch Streamer who plays video games...

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Disagree.
Hey I did not hate BL3 story just the way it flowed and how the big plot points hit just did not hit the mark like 2 did. But I will say I did enjoy two story with friends and was playing BL3 solo so that could of had a effect.

I did concede that the dlc had good writing and I can't pick which gut punch was hard Tiny Tina or Krieg.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hey I did not hate BL3 story just the way it flowed and how the big plot points hit just did not hit the mark like 2 did. But I will say I did enjoy two story with friends and was playing BL3 solo so that could of had a effect.

I did concede that the dlc had good writing and I can't pick which gut punch was hard Tiny Tina or Krieg.
One of the things that struck me with 3 was that your characters play more of a role in it then the others. They kinda do with their own voices in 2, but in 3 and especially the dlc, you get more of a feeling for your characters and more characterization during play for them. I even thought the Calypso Twins did a fantastic job of being what they were supposed to be, but they just had no hope after Handsome Jack. Gearbox managed to hit a top tier villain with him. You also have great stuff with Jacobs and Hammerlock in 3, not to mention Rhys and Vaughn were both fantastic.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
One of the things that struck me with 3 was that your characters play more of a role in it then the others. They kinda do with their own voices in 2, but in 3 and especially the dlc, you get more of a feeling for your characters and more characterization during play for them. I even thought the Calypso Twins did a fantastic job of being what they were supposed to be, but they just had no hope after Handsome Jack. Gearbox managed to hit a top tier villain with him. You also have great stuff with Jacobs and Hammerlock in 3, not to mention Rhys and Vaughn were both fantastic.
Yeah I was the characters talked more that was one feature from the pre sequel I am glad the brought with them. I mostly just wished all the BL2 got fleshed out we got Zero and Maya getting some love but Gaige, Axton and my main Salvador don't get much voice until the DLC.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I still have a preference of the GBA over the Nintendo DS. I definitely have a lot more games than the latter. The DS has good games, but a lot of the early ones are not worth going through, because of the touch screen only controls being too finicky and gimmicky. Most developers and publishers not named Nintendo agreed, as a lot of later DS games only use the touch screen controls to navigate menus and that was about it.
All my favorite games for my GBA were GBC games.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Dear Youtube if I see one more Raid Shadow Legends Ad...

Seriously better games like Genshin Impact and Black Desert Online don't need their own fucking ads to run forever on youtube. They are still doing ads. Just give up, and make a new game. Put the money you gave to your marketing department, and give it to your modelers, programmers, lore experts, and etc.

The characters are ugly, the UI sucks, the gameplay sucks, and the ads suck.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dear Youtube if I see one more Raid Shadow Legends Ad...

Seriously better games like Genshin Impact and Black Desert Online don't need their own fucking ads to run forever on youtube. They are still doing ads. Just give up, and make a new game. Put the money you gave to your marketing department, and give it to your modelers, programmers, lore experts, and etc.

The characters are ugly, the UI sucks, the gameplay sucks, and the ads suck.
A hot take would be liking it. The game itself was fine. But they do go way over in ads.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
This is in regards to the outrage that the upcoming Nintendo Switch Online's Expansion Pack Service (which contains N64 and Genesis games) costing 50 dollars a year's worth of a subscription.

Me: You are also the same people that would donate 50 dollars or more to a random Twitch Streamer who plays video games...
I have the base version but that's because $20 a year seems reasonable for the library of NES/SNES games. More then double the price for a handful of N64 and Sega games doesn't feel worth the price jump to me. I'll admit I grew up with the NES and SNES and had left console gaming when the N64 came out so I don't have any notaglia for it, and Sega never really was my thing(You can buy whole collections of sega games for less, honestly).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I have the base version but that's because $20 a year seems reasonable for the library of NES/SNES games. More then double the price for a handful of N64 and Sega games doesn't feel worth the price jump to me. I'll admit I grew up with the NES and SNES and had left console gaming when the N64 came out so I don't have any notaglia for it, and Sega never really was my thing(You can buy whole collections of sega games for less, honestly).
Paying for online multi in general is bullshit. I'm still not sure why console gamers were willing to put up with it. Anyway, If you just get access to the N64 and Sega games with the additional cost then its whatever, but if you have to pay extra for the ability to give them money to "buy" the games then that is some super bullshit.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
You forget, it's not just for the library of games. It's also for the Animal Crossing DLC! Which doesn't matter for people like me who don't have Animal Crossing, yet still have to pay extra for DLC for a game they don't own...

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

That's a rather big "you" you are addressing. Big enough that I don't think it's fair to say that they are "the same people".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I highly doubt that. I still haven't got the base online Nintendo online subscription. Because I feel it's not worth it. Plus I rarely played any games online aside from Fast Rmx. And that was at a time before they included the price hike and then online was free. You're adding more money for just a few games is not even worth it more so. Fuck off Nintendo!

grew up with the NES and SNES and had left console gaming when the N64 came out so I don't have any notaglia for it, and Sega never really was my thing(You can buy whole collections of sega games for less, honestly).
Get started on some of those Sega games, now!