Your video game hot take(s) thread

Zeke davis

Apr 30, 2020
Country
United States
The bioshock series as an a whole says "Sophia Lamb was (mostly) correct." and "subject delta AND Eleanor are the fulfillment of the whole thing."

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Japanese developers tend to do alternate costumes better than most Western developers, but they have many of their own slip ups too.
I agree. I think most Japanese games already have bonkers art design so almost any skin fits in. I remember the alternate costumes in Tekken being quite fun.

So in a way I guess, it's less about the quality of the skins themselves and more about the overall theme of the game. Wacky costumes in Tekken yes, Dragon Age Inquisition armor in Mass Effect, no.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Dragon Age Inquisition armor in Mass Effect, no.
Honestly the Blood Dragon Armour looked better in Mass Effect than it ever did in Dragon Age. And that weirdly lets me present this hot take:

Of the three games, DragonAge II has the best ending. Yes, it seems like nothing you've done has made a difference at all.....but then why would it? The abuses in Kirkwall's Circle of Magi - by both mage and templar - had been going on for decades with all but official endorsement by the leadership of the two groups. Hawke was never going to change that; not in a million years. The mage rebellion was inevitable. If it wasn't Anders blowing up the Kirkwall Chantry - although as a proverbial 'shot heard around the world' event to do it, it was pretty fuckin' effective - it would have been something else.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Seen this today elsewhere but found I agreed with it, so...

Metroid Dread is not a metroidvania. It has no vania elements.

EDIT: Apparently, the Japanese term for this king of game is 探索アクション (tansaku action), roughly translated into "search action" or "discovery action". Much more useful term I think

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Witcher 3 has good/playing combat. I never saw what was wrong from it by the detractors.
Apparently it didn’t start out that way and took some patching but yeah it’s fine by me and gets the job done, though not the most engaging example of RPG combat either.

Another hot take, I also had fun with the original’s combat (though it was basically my first CRPG so there’s that). Sure it was mostly a rhythm game with an occasion spell cast but considering the framework it was at least functional and somewhat flashy, at least next to Geralt’s geriatric movement mechanics in general. He literally ran around like he just filled his Depends.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dunno if the games point this out, but Geralt moving around like his legs are crippled and he's in constant pain is lore accurate because his legs are crippled and he's in constant pain. In the books, at least, he's actually a good example of a chronically disabled character

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Dunno if the games point this out, but Geralt moving around like his legs are crippled and he's in constant pain is lore accurate because his legs are crippled and he's in constant pain. In the books, at least, he's actually a good example of a chronically disabled character
That’s actually pretty fascinating, but I’m wondering how much of it was intentional vs engine limitations. Because when he’s engaged in combat with the mouse clicking stuff he’s damn near a ballerina.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I believe in the Steam Check. Think the Sony Check but for PC exclusivity and snubbing certain storefronts.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Game/Gear leveling feels like it's gotten ridiculous. Between the what feels like standardized Common/Rare/Legendary/Epic gear types(i'm sure I'm missing ones) and the fact Levels in some games go into the hundreds now, it just feels like everything is grindy as fuck. I was reading about New World(Amazons MMO) and the moment I start seeing Level 600 on there I think of Destiny or AC Valhalla and I immediately think "Yeah, this sounds like way too much work and grind". The same when I see multiple currency types and such. I get why this stuff exists for game progression but at the same time it feels like a lot of this has gone too far.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for said games but I feels like games like this mistake leveling with content. I don't want to play just for sake of watching the numbers get bigger, all other things being equal.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Game/Gear leveling feels like it's gotten ridiculous. Between the what feels like standardized Common/Rare/Legendary/Epic gear types(i'm sure I'm missing ones) and the fact Levels in some games go into the hundreds now, it just feels like everything is grindy as fuck. I was reading about New World(Amazons MMO) and the moment I start seeing Level 600 on there I think of Destiny or AC Valhalla and I immediately think "Yeah, this sounds like way too much work and grind". The same when I see multiple currency types and such. I get why this stuff exists for game progression but at the same time it feels like a lot of this has gone too far.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for said games but I feels like games like this mistake leveling with content. I don't want to play just for sake of watching the numbers get bigger, all other things being equal.
You know it's bad when even Koei Tecmo almost never goes above 100 with most of the Musou/Dynansty Warriors/Samurai Warriors games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crysis series and Far Cry: Instincts >>>>Far Cry Mainline Series.
To add to that, the Crysis games are the best Predator games ever made. Especially in the 2nd, and most importantly, the 3rd game with how stealth and cloaking work. Crysis 3 has an upgrade that allows you to do stealth kills, and still be cloaked. Crytek should be allowed to make the next Alien vs. Predator game or a solo FPS/Stealth Predator game. Crytek definitely have the chops to pull a cool concept; nuff said.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
Beat them ups needs Yakuza style environmental finishes/heat actions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Beat them ups needs Yakuza style environmental finishes/heat actions.
I'm going to with no. While it does sound interesting in theory, the mechanic will get boring, if everyone started doing it. You'll run into the same issues when many companies were copying shamelessly Final Fight, DMC, and God of War without much to stand out. Nothing will be unique. Besides, Sega has enough Yakuza spin-off franchises that copy the heat mechanic.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
I'm going to with no. While it does sound interesting in theory, the mechanic will get boring, if everyone started doing it. You'll run into the same issues when many companies were copying shamelessly Final Fight, DMC, and God of War without much to stand out. Nothing will be unique. Besides, Sega has enough Yakuza spin-off franchises that copy the heat mechanic.
More like using a meter bar to either remove a Mook completely or lay down the hurt on a boss. It is more about environment interaction. I know games like Simpsons Arcade had it, but nothing's like dragging a guy to get their head microwaved or be sent away on a winch

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Disgaea DS is the only game I've played where the leveling goes over 100. The game is pretty much designed around make all the numbers bigger, but I thought it was still a pretty fun game. Leveling goes pretty fast late in the game.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren