Your video game hot take(s) thread

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
People biatch too much at change. Capcom wants to do something different; get over yourselves haters. These themes are awesome.

Reminds me of all the people complaining about them changing the design of Testament in Guilty Gear Strive. Which, OK, it was a pretty drastic change, but the explanation made a lot of sense.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Any "collector's edition" that does not give you the actual physical game that comes with it, is an automatic scam in my eyes. You're charging $150-$300+ for this type of stuff, please put the actual product that's with the goodies and plastic pieces. Not just a digital code or voucher. Sterling called this crap out years ago.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Any "collector's edition" that does not give you the actual physical game that comes with it, is an automatic scam in my eyes. You're charging $150-$300+ for this type of stuff, please put the actual product that's with the goodies and plastic pieces. Not just a digital code or voucher. Sterling called this crap out years ago.

And so it goes in the digital age of gaming, which has introduced a three-fold problem here:

1. The digital option has to be included by default, since many users only have a digital (drive-less) console.

2. The trend of preorders like @CriticalGaming mentioned in the news thread has necessitated these collections ship disc-less since they’re produced well ahead of games going “gold” by a separate company that wouldn’t have access to a disc yet.

3. Console makers are always trying to trim manufacturing/packaging costs. Cross generation support would necessitate two physical disc versions for PS4/PS5 in these collections to avoid excessive sku’s being produced, and many people would be selling or giving away one version or the other, leading to lost sales.

Then there’s the underlying thread in nearly all game releases these days that a “gold” disc is often outdated on day one already, as many games have online components to balance once out in the wild, or even single player games get post-review code patches for different reasons. It’s just the nature of the new beast, which means typically not having a perfect solution for all parties anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And so it goes in the digital age of gaming, which has introduced a three-fold problem here:

1. The digital option has to be included by default, since many users only have a digital (drive-less) console.

2. The trend of preorders like @CriticalGaming mentioned in the news thread has necessitated these collections ship disc-less since they’re produced well ahead of games going “gold” by a separate company that wouldn’t have access to a disc yet.

3. Console makers are always trying to trim manufacturing/packaging costs. Cross generation support would necessitate two physical disc versions for PS4/PS5 in these collections to avoid excessive sku’s being produced, and many people would be selling or giving away one version or the other, leading to lost sales.

Then there’s the underlying thread in nearly all game releases these days that a “gold” disc is often outdated on day one already, as many games have online components to balance once out in the wild, or even single player games get post-review code patches for different reasons. It’s just the nature of the new beast, which means typically not having a perfect solution for all parties anymore.
Which adds insult to injury, because it punishes the consumer either way for getting the "special/collector's edition", instead of the standard versions, or downloading on the store. It's a worst solution to a problem that didn't needed fixing, because they caused it in the first place. Otherwise, just making physical copies would have saved most of the hassles.

I find it funny Sony, of all companies, would be worried about scalpers and resellers now. They sure has hell did not care, and enabled them mostly throughout this pandemic. What makes God of War: Ragnarok so special? It's not gonna stop the scalpers either way. The scalpers are gonna buy these in bulk, if they can, and nothing changes. Aside from maybe overcharging even more money, since there is no disc, only a code voucher. Or worse, over sell on the bonus goodies and code is missing/already used. Scalpers would inflate the price even further just to get at completionists of all kinds.

It's crazy how smaller or more niche companies get this right, yet the AAA keep finding ways to fuck everyone over. Intentionally or not. Usually the first option.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which adds insult to injury, because it punishes the consumer either way for getting the "special/collector's edition", instead of the standard versions, or downloading on the store. It's a worst solution to a problem that needed fixing, because they caused it in the first place. Otherwise, just making physical copies would have saved most of the hassles.
This statement makes no sense. Digital inclusions into these special editions is saving hassel, because it allows anyone to buy the package without worried about buying the right one for their console as it is very easy to include digital copies for both systems. Not to mention you get an extra copy of the game you can give away to a friend or family member which saves them 60-70 bucks.

And if a physical disc is what you really want you can always find a cheap copy of the game later on at Gamestop either used or on a deep sale.

I find it funny Sony, of all companies, would be worried about scalpers and resellers now. They sure has hell did not care, and enabled them mostly throughout this pandemic. What makes God of War: Ragnarok so special? It's not gonna stop the scalpers either way. The scalpers are gonna buy these in bulk, if they can, and nothing changes. Aside from maybe overcharging even more money, since there is no disc, only a code voucher. Or worse, over sell on the bonus goodies and code is missing/already used. Scalpers would inflate the price even further just to get at completionists of all kinds.
What is your basis on this? Special editions are usually fairly plentiful at most retailers, and there are far less people interest in buying 200 editions than just want the game so the market isn't that crazy. My local stores always have them available usually for weeks. Horizon's big Mammoth Statue edition was at my Best Buy for months. So I don't think what you are saying here holds much water.

Most Collectors editions only have resale value, months or years after the game has been out and they don't make those editions anymore. That isn't really scalping though imo as the sale of the item has long since run it's course.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This statement makes no sense. Digital inclusions into these special editions is saving hassel, because it allows anyone to buy the package without worried about buying the right one for their console as it is very easy to include digital copies for both systems. Not to mention you get an extra copy of the game you can give away to a friend or family member which saves them 60-70 bucks.
It's only saving the hassle for Sony, and not the consumer. Note how I mentioned that all you get is a digital code with all that. Call me traditionalist, but I'm the physical forever guy for a reason. If you're going to charge on all that stuff, then give me an actual physical version of the game. Not a download code or voucher. I know there are some that don't care about a physical version, nor the game, but that doesn't mean no one wants a physical version with their collector's edition.

What is your basis on this? Special editions are usually fairly plentiful at most retailers, and there are far less people interest in buying 200 editions than just want the game so the market isn't that crazy. My local stores always have them available usually for weeks. Horizon's big Mammoth Statue edition was at my Best Buy for months. So I don't think what you are saying here holds much water.
I never said they they weren't; you are not listening. What I am saying, is that scalpers are still going to try to find a way to overcharge or oversell their second hand copies. If you noticed, I was responding to what @hanselthecaretaker said earlier in responding to it. Availability or not, there are going to be jackasses buying and inflating these. You bet your ass on that.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Another problem with these type of collector's edition that come with out a physical version, is that you have to buy the same product twice, if you want an actual disc. So you'll be paying anywhere between 150 to 200 something dollars or more, then add another 60 to 70 plus dollars on that price tag.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Call me traditionalist, but I'm the physical forever guy for a reason.
That's fine. I prefer physical too, however I can also see the writing on the wall with the push for digital machines. Hell PC's rarely even come with CD drives anymore. Digital is becoming the norm, and like Hanselthecaretaker said, they put digital codes in the Editions because they sell digital only consoles. And since BOTH consoles can use digital games, it saves the CUSTOMER a lot of headache by not putting out 7 different versions of the same product. Ps4, Ps5, Digital, Special, Limited, Enhanced, etc etc etc etc.

So I was merely pointing out that your statement about this fucking over customers is simply not true. Packing the Editions this way is the easiest way to make a product that ANY Playstation owner can buy without having to triple check what they are getting. And it's a bonus for the company because it's cost effective too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So last night I respec’d to an INT spell focus in ER and I must say, it doesn’t automatically make the game “easy” mode. I have significantly more invested in a single stat now than I did running with STR (75 INT now vs originally 50 STR plus everything else besides Mind and Arcane pretty balanced around half that for variety. 40 VIT in either case). I’m using one of the best staves at exactly the same upgrade level as my melee gear, have a handful of the best spells and it’s rare a single cast kills later enemies outright like a single strong melee attack or two hit light combo.

Heavy stuff like Comet Azure for example only does like 15-20% max damage to Alecto the Ringleader’s HP, even if she doesn’t dodge out of its path if you hit her with it right when she spawns. If using the Hidden Tear physik to eliminate consumption she’ll even simply dodge out of it in roughly the same timespan anyways. Other stuff like Crystal Torrent takes nearly a full meter charge of FP to take out even a couple of the albinaurics lined up at the farming area.

Basically, I’m quickly discovering just boosting INT and using magic isn’t a guarantee of anything, and you still need put more thought than usual into how it’s used, what buffs compliment it, etc.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Another problem with these type of collector's edition that come with out a physical version, is that you have to buy the same product twice, if you want an actual disc. So you'll be paying anywhere between 150 to 200 something dollars or more, then add another 60 to 70 plus dollars on that price tag.
Again why are you being so disengenuous? If you have the digital game, why do you need a disc right away? Wait for a sale, wait six months or a year for the price of the physical disc to drop and get it later. It's not like you're missing out on the game at launch because you have the game digitally so the disc is nothing but a shelf decoration.

You're just exaggerating here, bro come on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's fine. I prefer physical too, however I can also see the writing on the wall with the push for digital machines. Hell PC's rarely even come with CD drives anymore. Digital is becoming the norm, and like Hanselthecaretaker said, they put digital codes in the Editions because they sell digital only consoles. And since BOTH consoles can use digital games, it saves the CUSTOMER a lot of headache by not putting out 7 different versions of the same product. Ps4, Ps5, Digital, Special, Limited, Enhanced, etc etc etc etc.

So I was merely pointing out that your statement about this fucking over customers is simply not true. Packing the Editions this way is the easiest way to make a product that ANY Playstation owner can buy without having to triple check what they are getting. And it's a bonus for the company because it's cost effective too.
I know some sacrifices have to be made, but most of these companies know they make more than enough money and they just don't want to put in the effort and are lazy. Once you take away somebody's right to own something or copy of something, that screwing them over. You could scream as long as you have the digital you're fine, but crap happens. Accounts get lost, accounts get hacked, and console break. Call it an act of God or whatever. My opinion on this is final. If you don't like it, too bad. I'm not doing a constant back and forth on this.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So last night I respec’d to an INT spell focus in ER and I must say, it doesn’t automatically make the game “easy” mode. I have significantly more invested in a single stat now than I did running with STR (75 INT now vs originally 50 STR plus everything else besides Mind and Arcane pretty balanced around half that for variety). I’m using one of the best staves at exactly the same upgrade level as my melee gear, have a handful of the best spells and it’s rare a single cast kills later enemies outright.

Heavy stuff like Comet Azure for example only does like 15-20% max damage to Alecto the Ringleader’s HP, even if she doesn’t dodge out of its path if you hit her with it right when he spawns. If using the Hidden Tear physik to eliminate consumption she’ll even simply dodge out of it in roughly the same timespan anyways. Other stuff like Crystal Torrent takes nearly a full meter charge of FP to take out even a couple of the albinaurics lined up at the farming area.

Basically, I’m quickly discovering just boosting INT and using magic isn’t a guarantee of anything, and you still need put more thought than usual into how it’s used, what buffs compliment it, etc.
I think the breaking of the game comes from when you can sneak up on open world bosses, drop all your buffs, then cast a big fuck you spell and destroy them before they can respond to you.

It's less OP in traditionally boss rooms where they aggro the second you walk in the door, making it harder to buff yourself before they come for that ass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Again why are you being so disengenuous? If you have the digital game, why do you need a disc right away? Wait for a sale, wait six months or a year for the price of the physical disc to drop and get it later. It's not like you're missing out on the game at launch because you have the game digitally so the disc is nothing but a shelf decoration.

Because people like owning physical stuff. It's not that hard to figure out. I'm not exaggerating when it's true it has happened before. Did you just forget what happened earlier last generation, and what happened sometimes during the seventh generation? This is why it's important to remember this stuff! If you're just going to do water under the bridge, then the same crap is going to happen over and over again. You clearly have not learned a damn thing.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think the breaking of the game comes from when you can sneak up on open world bosses, drop all your buffs, then cast a big fuck you spell and destroy them before they can respond to you.

It's less OP in traditionally boss rooms where they aggro the second you walk in the door, making it harder to buff yourself before they come for that ass.

True but some of them must’ve been intentional for kicks like that Kindred prick by the bestial sanctum, with the grace site to warp right behind him. I should’ve saved him to feel my big laser go BRRRRRRRRRRRR. Even if it wouldn’t quite wipe him out anymore lol.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Because people like owning physical stuff. It's not that hard to figure out. I'm not exaggerating when it's true it has happened before. Did you just forget what happened earlier last generation, and what happened sometimes during the seventh generation? This is why it's important to remember this stuff if you're just going to do water under the bridge, then the same crap is going to happen over and over again.
They just need to include an NFT of the game in the collector edition and problem solved.

So you think it's reasonable to buy a game twice so that you have a collectors edition that actually includes the thing which you are collecting. Ok.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So you think it's reasonable to buy a game twice so that you have a collectors edition that actually includes the thing which you are collecting. Ok.
Depends. Because are you collecting the game? Or are you collecting the shit that comes with the game.

Typically games collectors do not want special packaging (steel books or greatest hits covers). Game collectors want original boxed copies of games that all look fairly uniform on the shelf.

Like this guy https://www.youtube.com/c/MysticRB

When people buy the junk boxes that make up these collector's editions, they are usually just in it for the crap that comes with the package not the game or game box itself. A quick look on Ebay shows that people are selling things like the Skryim collector's Edition for basically retail price sometimes with no game. Typically because the interest is the statue not the game.

Also keep in mind that collector's don't USE their stuff. Things like action figures only retain value when complete in box. The same goes for physical box games. The idea is to have the colleciton on a shelf and have a "complete" shelf. Which makes those big collectors edition boxes pointless because usually they are big boxes in which you can't even see or display the figure inside in any way, which doesn't really work.

I guess if you want both things, then yeah you'll have to buy two copies of the game, but that's not a problem for @BrawlMan who has no problem buying two copies of a game as seen with Ninja Turtles recently right? So if you have to buy a second copy to have the proper physical disc (which you would have to do anyway to get the correct game box) then no big deal waiting for a cheap sale where you can get your collector's disc for $10-15.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess if you want both things, then yeah you'll have to buy two copies of the game, but that's not a problem for @BrawlMan who has no problem buying two copies of a game as seen with Ninja Turtles recently right? So if you have to buy a second copy to have the proper physical disc (which you would have to do anyway to get the correct game box) then no big deal waiting for a cheap sale where you can get your collector's disc for $10-15.
  1. Shredder's Revenge don't cost $60. It does add up, if you decide to get both, or if you went ahead early on and did the pre-order for those stupid collector's editions from LMR. Two of which that are between $100-200+. It's LMR, so they can screw off. You at least get the physical copies of the game. Assuming LMR does not fuck up
  2. I will get a physical copy of Shredders Revenge at some point, I don't know which consoles going to be for. I do have the digital versions for both my Switch and PS4. I only did that because of the sale, and I love the game and genre so much. More than likely, I'll get the Switch version. All versions of this game are going to be released in all electronic and gaming stores. So availability won't be a problem.
  3. We've called out the double dip before. I have not forgotten our conversation about SIFU. I've had the exact same problems in complaints when LMR lied about the availability for SOR4.
  4. TMNT is it's still a cheaper option, aside from the shit LMR's is selling, compared to most others & Ragnarök.
  5. You're assuming if the collector's disc become cheaper. If you're buying a game from LMR second hand, you are paying two or three times the original price. It doesn't help that they encourage and enable scalpers, and they know this. LMR has this scheme going for years.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You're assuming if the collector's disc become cheaper. If you're buying a game from LMR second hand, you are paying two or three times the original price. It doesn't help that they encourage and enable scalpers, and they know this. LMR has this scheme going for years.
Well I think that LMR stuff is a very different animal from God of War because LMR only handles smaller titles that the indie companies wouldn't be able to do a physical release otherwise. Which wont be the case with GoW because that game will be fucking everywhere easily.

Also games don't usually get special discs. The physical disc is typically the same for everyone and bonus content is digital codes only.

I will get a physical copy of Shredders Revenge at some point, I don't know which consoles going to be for. I do have the digital versions for both my Switch and PS4. I only did that because of the sale, and I love the game and genre so much. More than likely, I'll get the Switch version. All versions of this game, is going to be released in all electronic and gaming stores. So availability won't be a problem.
So that's three, or four copies bought?

I find the statement "I love the game and genre so much", which you admit is justification for buying several copies of the game and that's fine. So why would you have a problem with someone who loves GoW or FF7 or whatever buying CE's and/or Basic copies, to round out collections. People do that all the time with things they love.

The publisher and manufactorer shipping a product in a cost effective way doesn't not make it a shady business practice just because it doesn't fit absolutely everyone's preferences. And nobody has yet presented an argument for why not giving the physical disc is a bad thing consider all the possible buying factors a consumer faces when picking up a game these days.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I think that LMR stuff is a very different animal from
Not really. Don't get me wrong, LMR is definitely worse, but they create artificial scarcity, and they're nothing more than a company that started off trying to publish their own line of crappy games. Whenever they try to pull off, you can only get this from us, only to reveal within a few weeks or a couple months at the game will be available everywhere at most retailers or Amazon, you lose any amount of trust I had. What's even more insulting, is that most of these niche games you can find with or sometimes without their label just by going to a Best Buy, a Walmart, or Target

find the statement "I love the game and genre so much", which you admit is justification for buying several copies of the game and that's fine. So why would you have a problem with someone who loves GoW or FF7 or whatever buying CE's and/or Basic copies, to round out collections. People do that all the time with things they love.
So what? I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like. It's a simple statement. Plus, I need a backup in case something happens to one or more of my consoles or games. Don't forget that I mainly play on my ps4. That thing has issues, when you don't have it cleaned out, or pay somebody to clean out the entire system. I just got mine done a few months ago. Going good thing is is that most of my games are not graphics heavy on that system. Still, it pays to have a backup just in case something goes wrong, missing, or stolen.

I've already made my case clear the first time around. Not doing a back and forth about this. If you have some big disagreement, I really don't care at this point.