Your Voice and You

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I had multiple severe anginas during my childhood. as a result my voice is deep on good days and cracling on bad days. While i speak it sunds quite "ok", but trying to record it you see jut how awful it is.
you can hear and example of it here (lithuanian language, but good enough to see how shitty my voice is)
Actually on some voice chats i was told to jsut shut up since nooen cna udnerstand this noise your making. they though iwas actually making noise and not speaking.

I would be a good cookie monster for a metal band though :D

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Everybody I know says I sound posh, which is strange, because my Mum is from Yorkshire, my dad is from Manchester and I was born in Scotland. You would think I would have a very strong accent of some sort, but nope.

FreakofNatur

May 13, 2013
Asian and very Singaporean. Quite literally, on the microphone, we all sound the same. Hmm, my voice is pretty high for a guy and it's force of habit: when I speak lower I tend to mumble alot.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I have a fucking terrible voice. Radio certainly isn't for me, but whatever.

I have a generic Ohio accent, so I don't even have something "exotic" to fall back on and help me out XD

I'm T0ad.

The guy who isn't Irish, the rambling host, or the sex addict cat known as fappy XD

EDIT: I will say though that my mic (its really shitty XD) makes voice "cloudier" than it sounds in person. That's what I've been told anyway. I assume it means I speak more clearly irl.

Overusedname said:
Apparently everyone sounds wrong when they hear themselves.

At least you get people telling you they love your voice XD

And how couldn't they? Dat minecraft intro was Hipster as all hell awesome XD

soren7550 said:
I've been told I sound like a very annoying boy. You've been warned. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP2DAYRiGA]

This is yet another reason why I hate myself.
You do kind of sound like a little boy, but it isn't annoying :)

Where are you from though? Your accent eludes me!

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
My voice is... kinda weird. I mean, I like my accent (which is pretty much generic Scottish. Apparently I have no regional accent to speak of...), but the voice itself... Apparently it's pretty deep for a female voice, and half the time I sound like I've had a bit to drink because I slur from time to time (nerve damage, yay). And have a lisp. And stutter. I don't know, I don't hate it, I just wish I was easy for other people to understand. I should probably start working on having subtitles...

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Mordekaien said:
Lynx said:
For very brief moments I've been able to tell what Swedish sounds like to foreign people, and from what I've gathered it must seem a very strange language. :p
While I was in Sweden, I understood what some words/sentences mean, even though I don't speak a word, other than basic greetings and can mutter some phrases. And I like the sound of your language, it's pretty kickass, if you ask me.
Well, in that case, awesome! Is it true that when we talk we sort of sound like we're singing? I've been told that we do...

Pohaturon said:
Mordekaien said:
On the other hand- some people told me that my native language (Slovak) sounds pretty strange, so there's that.

I know that feel bro (I'm Hungarian). Foreigners find my language rather amusing to listen to.
I've just started learning Hungarian! Boyfriend is half-Hungarian, we just spent a week in Ráckeve/Budapest. Indeed a strange language to me, at first I couldn't find a melody, but after a few days there I began to understand its charm.

Aug 19, 2010
Lynx said:
Pohaturon said:
Mordekaien said:
On the other hand- some people told me that my native language (Slovak) sounds pretty strange, so there's that.

I know that feel bro (I'm Hungarian). Foreigners find my language rather amusing to listen to.
I've just started learning Hungarian! Boyfriend is half-Hungarian, we just spent a week in Ráckeve/Budapest. Indeed a strange language to me, at first I couldn't find a melody, but after a few days there I began to understand its charm.
Well, good luck! Multiple linguists named it the hardest language to learn as a foreigner. Hell, I'm Hungarian, and I have difficulty with it...

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Lynx said:
Well, in that case, awesome! Is it true that when we talk we sort of sound like we're singing? I've been told that we do...
From what I've heard, some girls really do sound like they are singing, but I am not sure about guys. I haven't heard too much of your language, since I visited my girlfriend that was staying there for a students exchange, so most people around me spoke english. It certainly has some musical qualities to it, but then again a lot of speeches do.

Pohaturon said:
Well, good luck! Multiple linguists named it the hardest language to learn as a foreigner. Hell, I'm Hungarian, and I have difficulty with it...
Funny thing is, we've had the same thing said about Slovak language a way back :D (not to say it's not difficult, I still can't fathom how you can read those words in such a hurry)

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:
I've been told I sound like a very annoying boy. You've been warned. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP2DAYRiGA]

Where are you from though? Your accent alludes me!
I'm from New York. Been told that I sounded like a hillbilly in the past, but more recently been told that the only noticeable weird way I had of talking was in my pronunciation of New York (which the guy pointed out all New Yorkers seemed to do).

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1amOer6Bkjp

I decided to sample my voice a very short time ago. And yes, my voice has always sounded dull and timid. It lacks the energy to keep a person interested in anything I have to say, it's so boring.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
soren7550 said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:

I'm from New York. Been told that I sounded like a hillbilly in the past, but more recently been told that the only noticeable weird way I had of talking was in my pronunciation of New York (which the guy pointed out all New Yorkers seemed to do).
New York? Yeah that makes sense. I was thinking maybe East coast... And hillbilly? How? You can annunciate XD

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I sound like I a 15 year old anime girl.
It is sad because I am dead serious on the phone but people still ask me if my mom is home.
Or I answer the phone at the office people just laugh.
In terms of dating though, it hasnt really backfired on me ever.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
My voice is very odd. It seems to be breaking; sometimes I'll talk and it'll come out like I've got a hangover, other times I'll just sound like I did when I was 16. My singing voice is bizarrely low as well, I have no idea why. I don't seem to have any of that high pitched squeaky stuff that guys usually get when their voice breaks, it just does whatever the fuck it feels like every now and again. My poshness does a similar thing, although I tend to sound posher when I'm at university- everyone else I live with has fairly strong regional accents, whereas my westcountriness only really comes out if I'm drunk.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Lynx said:
Mordekaien said:
Lynx said:
For very brief moments I've been able to tell what Swedish sounds like to foreign people, and from what I've gathered it must seem a very strange language. :p
While I was in Sweden, I understood what some words/sentences mean, even though I don't speak a word, other than basic greetings and can mutter some phrases. And I like the sound of your language, it's pretty kickass, if you ask me.
I've got a couple of Swedish friends, and they definitely sound like they're singing when they're talking. I concur with Mordekaien, as long as you're not speaking ridiculously fast, it's possible to follow the language even without speaking a word of it.

I've also heard Swedes and Danes try to talk to each other in their native languages and English, and that is bloody hilarious.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:

New York? Yeah that makes sense. I was thinking maybe East coast... And hillbilly? How? You can annunciate XD
Besides having a tendency to say y'all and the like, thanks to my parents (who in spite of living in New York all their lives, talked like rednecks), I ended up talking in a similar fashion to them because growing up it was largely just them and my brothers I heard talking. Plus, I reminded people from school of King of the Hill with the way I talked, so that didn't help.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Lynx said:
Mordekaien said:
Lynx said:
To my ears, definitely. It's very nice to listen to, even if I can only understand a few words.

When I recorded my voice for that other thread we had I was told I sounded like a posher version of Yahtzee, so I'm quite happy with my voice :)

Vale

May 1, 2013
I have been told that I should never ever speak because my voice sounds so unbelievably awful and cringeworthy that people are willing to tell me to shut the fuck up just to not hear me talk.
Oh well. I guess I'll just not communicate then.
Also have quite a speech impediment so people barely even understand me. But that's probably less important.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
EeveeElectro said:
I haaaate my voice. Hate it! I sound nasally as hell and like a 12 year old boy. Then throw in a bit of the Yorkshire accent I have, people from not-Yorkshire look at me like I'm speaking in tongues.
'eyup 'am Eevee'lectro, an' am 'ere t'tell ya 'bout me accent, whippets, Whitby and flatcaps.
I am glad my accent is fairly mild.

I speak with quite a neutral register, which comes in handy for impersonation.

I'll give an example, though my mic makes me sound like I have a stuffy nose for some reason:

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
soren7550 said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
soren7550 said:

Besides having a tendency to say y'all and the like, thanks to my parents (who in spite of living in New York all their lives, talked like rednecks), I ended up talking in a similar fashion to them because growing up it was largely just them and my brothers I heard talking. Plus, I reminded people from school of King of the Hill with the way I talked, so that didn't help.
If you could talk like boomhower that would be incredible. Psychictaco115 can do it pretty well XD

Anyhoo, I didn't hear any hillbilly from the vid you posted, though probably because you just sound east coast to me XD

And you shouldn't worry about it anyway, your voice is cool.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
My voice dropped like a stone when I was 12 and stayed there. It's quite resonant, too - so much so that whenever I talk you can hear a kind of low rumbling from the other side of the house. Perfect for deadpan, and if I need to express surprise or indignation it rather obligingly jumps up a couple of octaves.

Tends to go all croaky when I'm trying to keep the volume down for skyping late at night... which apparently makes me sound like the sadly departed Robin Sachs doing his Zaeed voice. Yay?

EDIT: Accent-wise, I think I sound generically north-of-England. Nobody else agrees with this >.>