Your Voice and You

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I really wish the voice I hear when I talk was the one that everyone else hears. It's this smooth, news anchor voice when I hear it but for others, it's deep and pretty monotone.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Jenvas1306 said:
My bf likes my voice and usually i hear the same from other people, but for reasons im not happy with it and still work on getting that proper female sound.
Same camp here. Mine is a tad bit too breathy for my liking I sound a bit like Cortana from Halo. The one I had in my previous life though? I sounded nearly identical to Master Chief. Weird how that happens.

Flutterknight

Jan 7, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Jenvas1306 said:
My bf likes my voice and usually i hear the same from other people, but for reasons im not happy with it and still work on getting that proper female sound.
Same camp here. Mine is a tad bit too breathy for my liking I sound a bit like Cortana from Halo. The one I had in my previous life though? I sounded nearly identical to Master Chief. Weird how that happens.
I have the opposite problem, I have trouble getting any breathiness in my voice at all. I went from an apparently high pitched and kinda nasally guy voice to an even higher pitched and kinda nasal girl voice, so I think there's just no more room for the extra air there when I'm speaking at a normal volume. XD

an annoyed writer

Jun 21, 2012
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Jenvas1306 said:
I have the opposite problem, I have trouble getting any breathiness in my voice at all. I went from an apparently high pitched and kinda nasally guy voice to an even higher pitched and kinda nasal girl voice, so I think there's just no more room for the extra air there when I'm speaking at a normal volume. XD
I've got a friend who has that problem. It's kinda funny because when some people first hear him they tell him he sounds like a Canadian caricature of a cartoon character.

Flutterknight

Jan 7, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Jenvas1306 said:
I've got a friend who has that problem. It's kinda funny because when some people first hear him they tell him he sounds like a Canadian caricature of a cartoon character.
That seems like an odd problem for a *guy* to have. Breathiness isn't really part of the male voice, generally.

an annoyed writer

Jun 21, 2012
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Jenvas1306 said:
That seems like an odd problem for a *guy* to have. Breathiness isn't really part of the male voice, generally.
No his voice is super-nasal and that's what pisses him off so much, since he sounds like a cartoon character to everyone else but he sounds like James Vega to himself.

Flutterknight

Jan 7, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Flutterknight said:
an annoyed writer said:
Jenvas1306 said:
No his voice is super-nasal and that's what pisses him off so much, since he sounds like a cartoon character to everyone else but he sounds like James Vega to himself.
Ah, okay! That makes much more sense. XD

I'm just thankful my voice is only kinda nasal and not *really* nasal. I'm not terribly fond of how it sounds in recordings, which is how I assume it sounds to others, but it never gets me misgendered, so I certainly could've done worse. ^_^

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
I'm British and people online have told me i sound posh when actually I just have a very English accent

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
My voice is super deep. It makes people feel safe I have been told and inspires sheer fear when I lose my temper and yell. I love my voice. I am from the deep southern US and have no accent to speak of. When I tell people where I am from they get confused. I guess everyone still thinks people from the south all talk "lahk the-yus cuz we ah stewpid n slow down he'yah". Now if you'll pardon me, I'm going to go read a dictionary to make up for typing like that.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
For a pretty biggish build, I've got a surprisingly high pitched voice, strangely enough it gets pretty deep when I've got a cold or anything that affects my throat though (which I absolutely love). Only comments I regularly get from those around me is that it supposedly sounds twenty times deeper over the phone and that I tend to talk way too fast at times.

My best friend I grew up with has it rough though, I knew him since we were little kids and to this day his voice literally hasn't changed, like his body just gave up on developing that part of him, haha.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I hate hearing my voice played back to me.
I like to think I have a neutral accent but I have a pretty definite Irish twang.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Not so good, methinks. I'm usually soft spoken and a shitty headset mic doesn't help, but even so I'm not a big fan of myself. I'm 20 from the Midwest.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
From what I've been told I have a fairly good voice, it's deep and southern English so I generally get seen as posh and well educated, which luckily I am so it fits me perfectly.
Posh? I thought you were from Dorset....[sub]joking[/sub]

Well I don't really have much of an accent. I copy and adapt it very quickly so I have a fairly neutral voice if a touch deep and clearly northern but unspecific. I'm actually from cumbria and can slip into one of the thickest dialects in the country if I get annoyed and ramble but mostly I sound however I want to sound.

I'm good with accents as a result of my penchant for mimickery though, though I still can't get Bostonian down!

Need to watch more moviebob or talk to some real bostonians.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let just say I glad I hit puberty since my child voice was squeaky as hell that make me sound cute! It annoyed me to no hell when I was acting serious.
Granted my current voice sound abit monotone but I definitely glad it ain't me old voice.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've got a baritone that's good for singing old love songs... it tends more toward tenor than bass.

My speaking voice, though... well, when I was young, my voice was almost a dead ringer for Neil Patrick Harris. Now that I have 8 years of calling cadence and... more... years of drinking whiskey on my vocal cords, my voice is an odd combination of rough and high. I can still sing, but I sound more like Joey Ramone than Dean Martin these days.

arkwright

Apr 1, 2009
A slighty pissed barry white.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM baby.

Im from south east englang so i sound (as they say) posh .

bollocks to you all.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
staika said:
I have a pretty high pitched voice and I dislike it quite a bit. Doesn't help that I look much younger than I am so the voice doesn't help at all. I always warn people on here when I talk to them that I am actually 21 I just don't sound like it.

Edit: Here's an example of my voice. I made this video a few weeks ago as a way to show someone how to make my avatar using gimp.
I find it hilarious that I knew this post was yours when I read it (I'm on my phone and zoomed in, so my peripherals have no effect on this).

Anywho, I think my voice has a good tone to it. It's naturally fairly deep, and I've been told it's a good voice for radio.

I'm perfectly happy with it.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I don't know what to think of my voice, considering that I've gotten a lot of conflicting reports on what it sounds like.

I've been told that I sound similar to a specific set of cousins that I have, which would mean that I have a masculine voice with a moderate baritone. But on the other hand a few people over the internet have told me that I sound like a 15 year old boy... I've also been told by an American friend of mine, one of the same people that told me I have the voice of a boy going through puberty mind you, that I have a noticeable Canadian drawl that's charming and pleasant to hear... So I'm not sure what to believe in regards to my voice any more.

To my own ears I have a slight baritone befitting a 21 year old by the way.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
My voice isn't all that deep, but it sure is... Uh... God I don't even know. Nasily? It's dry sounding? Blah. I don't think my voice is very pleasant to listen to. The only upside is that people never seem to have trouble hearing what I'm saying, so at least my speech is clear.