"You're screwed" moments

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
We've all had one of those moments where everything seems to be going well in a game, but then either slowly or very quickly descends into chaos. So what are you moments where you realized that you were screwed without any hope of respite short of quiting?

One moment that I remember in particular was when I was playing New Vegas and was near the crashes vertibird location for the first time while it was still early in the game. I only saw one or two robots at first and thought that it would be an easy kill, but then the rest of them started to pop out. I start backing up while firing and laying the few mines I had, unknowingly backing strait towards the Old Nuclear Test Site.(which is a major Ghoul zone) It's not until I start getting attacked by a ghoul that I turn around to see at least two reavers as well as several other ghoul types and think "Oh, fuck me," and loaded the most recent save.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I love it when stuff like that happens. Once while playing Skyrim I had to kill a giant as a bounty. I was a low level so I stocked up on potions and all the necessary supplies thikning "Oh well I'm only lvl 20 but I mean it's one giant." So I get there, shoot the giant with mah bow, but theh I see his giant buddy and two mammoths... then a dragon came.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
League of Legends, late game. Everything seems to be going well, oh looks like a team fight is just starti-

"ACED!"

Well, gg guys. You have an entire minute to push the weakest lane with your whole team. See ya later fuckers!

Maybe it's just the Solo Unranked-ness talking but why is every enemy Yi a complete boss yet our Yi is just complete fail all the way through the game?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Had a good moment like this in the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend. Some dynamic event where a bunch of bears attack some farmstead. I saw "Attacking bears", and saw one plump bear harrying the side of some barn. I laughed, and called to my girlfriend "Ha ha! Bears! Let's stop them!", and ran towards the bear.

As I approached, an undulating ursine tidal wive crested a nearby hill. There were at least 20-30 bears. They all aggroed me. I started screaming "BEARS! BEARS! BEARS!" and sprinting about frantically. Alas, I sheared hard right and hit a fence, and they washed over me...all teeth, claws and bestial fury.

My girlfriend came up 30 seconds or so later, and asked why I was dead, and where these bears were at. I could do naught but weep.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
In City of Heroes/Villains most of the missions are instanced, and when you enter the mobs will spawn at a level and in numbers according to your current difficulty settings. If you are in a team the mission will spawn according to the difficulty of the player that formed the team.

I had joined a villain group that was running some missions - nothing too dangerous. Then we got a Mayhem Mission - basically a bank robbery, timed and harder than average. Before we entered the mission the team leader was called away and so a new leader was automatically selected by the game.

The new leader was running one of the soloing powerhouse classes... and he hadn't turned his difficulty settings down...

So we enter the mission and find a literal army of cops waiting for us, all of whom were higher level than us. We didn't realise that until half the team was wiped out on the first group of enemies. The rest of us scattered and we spent the next 15 to 20 minutes trying to coordinate with half of the team trying to fight our way out of the police station jail cells they'd respawned in while the rest of the team tried to fight their way into the station to help.

Funny thing was, although wipes often cause rage in MMOs, everyone just found it funny. We knew from the first minute of the mission that we were totally screwed and it was kind of fun trying to take on the most ludicrous odds I've ever encountered in CoH.

The bank, suffice to say, did not get robbed that day.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
You're in first place and about to win the race... then you hear that dreaded alarming noise that indicates a spiny (blue) shell is heading straight at you. When that happens, you might as well retire from the race because you're pretty much in last place for the rest of it.

HarryScull

Apr 26, 2012
when in skyrim after a long dungeon full of really easy opponents i shoot a boss, do next to no damage then he turns round and one shots me

i know what my next hour will be spend doing

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Gears of War 3 - Rolling Gnasherhead shot kill (makes you feel good), into a planted Frag (makes you feel less good)

BF3 - knowing an enemy chopper has seen you while in the open, and hear/feel the rounds hammer the ground/building behind you as you run for cover.... only to be crushed by the wall when he shoots a cluster of missles

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
This is a paraphrase (as I don't recall the exact phrasing from in game offhand), but it's close:

You eat the corpse of the grid bug.
Blech! That tastes terrible!
The corpse was poisonous.
The poison was fatal.
You have died.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Getting cornered in Dark Souls.
By anything.
EVER.
You get cornered, you die, no exceptions.
They love to corner you just when you've amassed a good amount of souls.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Dead Island: I thought it was safe... I strolled up with my trusty fire axe ready to mess up a zombie but as I backed away feeling good about my kill I was hurled across the street... A thug and there was no way out... I was surrounded... I exhausted my weapons... I only had my precious, precious axe... But I had no choice... I threw the axe opening up a gap in the mob... I ran... But was so low on stamina I could barely get round the corner... I ran into a house... Into a suicider nest... No weapons... I dodged past, barely making it across the room... I ran into the bedroom... "What luck" I thought "a knife"... I confidently walked back out, knife in hand, to kill that explodey motherf***er... but I couldn't see it... I was dead before I realised... It was behind me........................

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2. Everybody is at around 10 health, limping along and downing painkillers where ever they can be found. Then that familiar music cue starts up and a tank with 100 of his zombie pals come charging towards us. To quote a great robot, "Well, we're boned"

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Griffon_Hawke179 said:
The final battle on Horizon in Mass Effect 2 (just before meeting Ashley/Kaiden) always have to redo that one at least once. Garrus is down. Grunt is down. I'll be damned if I'll waste medigel on their sorry asses. The husks surround me. I'm screwed. The galaxy is screwed. Game over.
Well, see if you weren't as stingy with the medi-gel, that wouldn't have happened.

OT: When I'm playing Deus Ex:HR on "Give me Deus Ex", and I see the hostile icon flash in the bottom right corner.

...fuck.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Counter Strike Source on cs_office. 4 teammates and I manage to go into the projector Room where the hostages are, because all the terrorrists rushed the front yard. When we try to save the hostages we realise or whole team was annihilated and there were 8 of them left. They had us pinned down so we decided to go in guns blazing. I was the only one left, managed to kill the last guy with a knife while he was reloading.

It was great.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Griffon_Hawke179 said:
The final battle on Horizon in Mass Effect 2 (just before meeting Ashley/Kaiden) always have to redo that one at least once. Garrus is down. Grunt is down. I'll be damned if I'll waste medigel on their sorry asses. The husks surround me. I'm screwed. The galaxy is screwed. Game over.
I had it quite easy, tbh
playing as infiltrator and using a heavy pistol (paladin, I think) loaded with cryo ammo, I just backtrack constantly while shooting one bullet on each husk, freezes them long enough to get a nice distance, and then fire an incinerate attack on the scions
the flying fucker, on the other hand, is another story
just use the collector beam, take cover and pray to the elder gods he doesn't decide to do the shockwave shit close to you

but yes, it's a pain in the ass

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Batman: Arkham City. Oh, that guy's seen me. Him and a couple of buddies are coming. No problem, I'll stand and deliver like a boss!

"Hey, there's a fight goin' on over here!" Six guys with machine guns come round the corner.

BYE!

Exactly this.