You're thrown into a war... what role do you play?

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
Red-shirt, reporting in!

Oh, you meant POSITIONS, not roles...
Well, I guess i'd probably be stuck in logistics. Too weedy for the front, not enough know-how to maintain gear..
I'd spend the entire war in the cushy lifestyle of serving inedible food and scrubbing toilets! :D

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
cwright7 said:
Considering the fact that Im an actual soldier, Id have to say that 90% of people thrown into a warzone would cower in the fetal position and urinate on themselves.
Well, here is a member of the 90% right here :D

Baring that though, I'd say a artillerist. Still invloved in the fight but fairly safe (aside from counter-fire batteries, airstrikes, commando raids, or all out assaults on the fire base...umm maybe I go with a clerk back at HQ.)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Sniper, because I'm not really a fan of the whole dying thing. Although if I was drafted right now, I'd probably just desert and go to Switzerland or something.

Jan 27, 2011
hmmm..."I'll play the role of team mother and lord high ragamuffin"! [/obscure reference]

If anyone gets that reference or at least knows the name of the dude who said that (or the game he was in), I will give you a cookie.

But honestly, I wold be the guy in charge of supplies or something. I do not want to shoot anybody.

cthulhlu

Feb 21, 2011
id be a conscientious objector.
unless we were invaded by someone like the nazis, then id be a sniper, or failing that id join the invading force (if it wins) rise in ranks as much as i can then suicide bomb the headquaters.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Since I'm in Canada and they're will only ever be one country to invade us. The United Americas. I believe I'm going to have to be a resistance fighter. They'll get whats coming to them!

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
BOOM headshot65 said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Astronaut to repair and maintain our orbital missile systems. Hope there aren't any EMP attacks...
Except that since there are naturally occuring EMP's in space, most satllites are EMP-proof.
I know, but what if I'm doing a space walk?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I haven't played BF3 but I have played Bad Company 2. The roles I found myself playing often would be tank (driver or gunner) and sniper. There is nothing like rolling around in an armored vehicle blowing stuff up or taking out an enemy from a mile away.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
Uh...I guess a medic. That is, if I could stomach the situations. If not that, then probably a pilot...I really wish I had more to say about this.

Omega07

Sep 1, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
No a sniper, I don't think most people here understand what being a sniper would mean in real life. It wouldn't be walking around with a squad of people and picking off thousands of enemies because you're a beast. It would mean lying in a puddle of your own piss and shit for a week. Being unable to scratch your own nose whilst you and your spotter watched a camp of people, waiting for an order so you can shoot one person.
i feel that you`ve mixed the two types of snipers here... the one you described is actually an assassin. military or no. + the one who is lying in a puddle of his own piss doesn`t get a spotter next to you, `cuz 2 is easier to find than 1.
the second type of sniper also has to keep prone, but not for weeks... just so long as he takes out the enemy sniper, or something similar...

Omega07

Sep 1, 2010
i guess in a real war i`d be a medic... and i guess i`ll be one soon enough...

second option might be a sniper... at least having the "feeling" of being saf-er than the canon fodder...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I would however quite like to be a marksman. Having a rather large (preferably carrying a silencer) assault rifle with a sight on it. Moving with a team.
An assault rifle has no effectiveness over 300m.

A counter-sniper or an enemy marksman will be using a full power battle rifle with a much longer range, accuracy and power and pick you off easily.

Omega07 said:
+ the one who is lying in a puddle of his own piss doesn`t get a spotter next to you, `cuz 2 is easier to find than 1.
A sniper team can consist of two men shooting, two men spotting, and a fifth one checking their backs to make sure they are not caught. Basically they can be more than just a shooter as long as it's not a crowd.

Do you people play videogames thinking you are actually learning?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Nevermind that most of us don't have the training to carry ammo, let alone distribute it.

I'd be a North American who remains back home, ready to provide returning soldiers with all the care they need to reintegrate into a peacetime society. Medical care, emotional support, jobs, time to recuperate with their families, ceremonies to honor their actions and sacrifices, Remembrance Day, etc.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
saucecode said:
So I was playing Battlefield 3 with some friends, and i came to realise that the classes we played really reflected what our prefered job in a real war would be. One of them takes to the skies, the other supplies us with ammo, etc.

So anyway, You're thrown into a war... what role do you play?

For me, either Medic. I think it would feel amazing to preserve life in a time of death and destruction. I'd also do EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal). I like bombs alot, and I like the pressure, the whole "working in a deadly situation" kinda excites me.

So... you?
Designated Marksman or a ceremonial position.

I've been target shooting on a competitive level for seven years now. I shoot in a wide variety of events but hold the most awards for long-range marksmanship.

I'm also an accomplished tailor and fashion designer. I've made custom fitted uniforms, sewn unit patches, and added ribbon bars to US dress uniforms. I also have had one client that commissioned body armor from me which I produced using segmented ceramic panels.