YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Muspelheim said:
It's not exactly a great forum of enlightening and enriching discussion and criticism he's ruthlessly stamping the life out of. This is more akin to fixing a leaking sewage pipe.
Laser Priest said:
While I agree with you, there is less legitimate discussion on most youtube videos than there is trolling and spam.

And with the most popular channel on YouTube, PewDiePie receives even more of the horrors of YouTube comments. It sounds like he will still allow it, but he'd rather people do it via social media than turn his youtube video comment sections into hate-filled warzones.

Even if I'm not a fan of his channel, I can't really say I'm against him in this at all. YouTube comments are just poison.
See, I wouldn't how enlightened or enriching his youtube comments are because I, like most people, don't read Youtube comments unless the video is a do-it-yourself and I want more information or something that I'm suspicious of.

That's it.

Do you generally read the youtube comments anymore? As far as I can tell, there is no reason to discuss his videos or read the discussion. Fixing a leaking sewage pipe implies that the pipe leaking is doing some kind of harm to the establishment. In this case, it's just a bunch of wind bags all trying to gross eachother out or flamebait. Let them tucker eachother out, we're not reading them anyways.

Closing down the comments is essentially pointless. Poison or not, complete silencing of discussion isn't a good solution.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Queen Michael said:
[insert a ****load of jokes about how the comments at least are more intelligen than his videos]
I couldnt agree more, and honestly cannot STAND his videos.... but with that said, if its true he is making over 4 million a year with the videos, who is the smart one here? I work a freaking 8 to 5 job, making nothing anywhere CLOSE to that. Jeez, thats just painful, lol...

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
This is pathetic. I'm sorry, but for $4,000,000 regular, I think I could put up with a few griefers posting negative comments on a comment section. If nothing else, I could certainly afford to get someone to act as a forum moderator for the more petulant and offensive ones.

When I hear news about this guy, I have to ask one particular question: why HIM? There have to be at least a thousand youtubers posting similar kinds of video series with more thoughtful and/or entertaining commentary than this guy, why's he so freaking popular he can make more than 4 out of 5 people in the world population ever could working a REAL JOB?

MaximumTheHormone

Jan 28, 2012
tl; dr
Pewdiepie got told that uncensored spaces on the internet frighten parents of potential viewers, not allowing comments is an easy solution.

Its the same as the wiggles or seaseme st youtube channels

not a big deal

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Impressive he's lasted this long. TB did it with only 1.5mil subs. The man has 30mil subs. Still have no idea why he is so popular, but hey i'm subbed to some people most would find dull as hell as well.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
"Well boo hoo princess!"

(on a serious note 95% of you tube comments are toxic but if the people commenting are the reason your pulling in $4 mill a year man up and cope!)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
OT: While I find PDP about as funny as a punch to my balls, can't say I blame him for blocking the comments. Like most popular Youtubers, if you have a crap load of subs, be sure that the comments will be a cesspit of hilarity between haters and die hard fans, so I won't say its a bad move on his part.
But a punch to your balls is utterly hilarious.

staika said:
OI bastard
I'm sure you'll back me up on this but tizzy being punched in the balls is funny right?

OT: If I were a stupidly rich youtube personailty I'd turn em off to, youtube comments are a horrible toxic thing.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
In a world where PewDiePie exists and earns $4 million for being one of the most irritating people on the planet, is it wrong to think that there is no justice in the world?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Lightknight said:
Closing down the comments is essentially pointless. Poison or not, complete silencing of discussion isn't a good solution.
And you're continuing to speak as if some sort of discussion is silenced which leads me to wonder if you read anything other than the last sentence of my post.

There is no discussion on youtube. There is only the shitstorm. PewDiePie encourages people who want to discuss it to do so through his other social media. The YouTube comments only produce hatred and bile. No discussion. If the problem is the comments, then yes, shutting them down is a good solution.

Ephidel said:
In a world where PewDiePie exists and earns $4 million for being one of the most irritating people on the planet, is it wrong to think that there is no justice in the world?
Short answer: Yes.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Please, elaborate.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Ephidel said:
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Please, elaborate.
Because he makes his money by entertaining millions of people and the fact that people think that's awful because they don't personally enjoy him is a far greater injustice?

Like his content or not (and I don't), he's not doing anything harmful.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Please, elaborate.
Because he makes his money by entertaining millions of people and the fact that people think that's awful because they don't personally enjoy him is a far greater injustice?

Like his content or not (and I don't), he's not doing anything harmful.
One could debate the value or definition of PewDiePie's "entertainment", and it wouldn't be the first time that popularity snowballed because of the mere fact that someone or something is popular.

Another question could also be asked : How many people generally, in the world, know that by watching people's monetised videos on YouTube, you're actually given money to the content creator. Definitely well known in gaming circles, but how much of PDP's audience are die-hard gamers?

$4 million is a lot of money, usually either won or inherited, not earned, and yet one of the people who does earn it easily does so by shrieking a lot and making blatantly insincere "comedy". You know, whilst other people work 40+ hours a week cleaning shit out of toilets, or child labour is used in sweatshops or soldiers are sent to warzones and potentially killed, all for astronomically less than PewDiePie.

Food for thought, eh?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Ephidel said:
Food for thought, eh?
Not really, no. In any functional society, payment is based on the exclusivity of the job a lot more than the importance. An acting job is much harder to succeed in, thus successful actors make more than, say, janitors. As long as people demand his entertainment (and you're abuse of sarcastic quotations doesn't change that he entertains people), he will make money.

I understand you're angry that a guy you don't like is successful, because god forbid anything you don't like be seen as entertainment. But instead, you'll pretend that somehow celebrities making more than sweatshop workers is a new injustice that nobody has ever thought about before and decided thinking that it might be unfair is too pointless to even entertain the notion of.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Food for thought, eh?
Not really, no. In any functional society, payment is based on the exclusivity of the job a lot more than the importance. An acting job is much harder to succeed in, thus successful actors make more than, say, janitors. As long as people demand his entertainment (and you're abuse of sarcastic quotations doesn't change that he entertains people), he will make money.
In any functional society, eh? Note, not equal, just "functional" as you call it.

Laser Priest said:
I understand you're angry that a guy you don't like is successful, because god forbid anything you don't like be seen as entertainment.
Trying to provoke is kind of a sad thing, sir.

Laser Priest said:
But instead, you'll pretend that somehow celebrities making more than sweatshop workers is a new injustice that nobody has ever thought about before and decided thinking that it might be unfair is too pointless to even entertain the notion of.
If injustice still exists within the world, when the world has been aware of it for so long, where did the humanity go?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Ephidel said:
If injustice still exists within the world, when the world has been aware of it for so long, where did the humanity go?
Well, clearly it went somewhere to complain about the terrible injustice of entertainers making money, because this is a great injustice and definitely not entirely sensible.

Poor, poor humanity.

But sure, let's go with your idea. Would you like everybody to be equal in the way of living on scraps or would you like everybody to be paid millions a year so money loses all value and everybody ends up living on scraps?

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Laser Priest said:
Ephidel said:
Well, clearly it went somewhere to complain about the terrible injustice of entertainers making money, because this is a great injustice and definitely not entirely sensible.
Making millions whilst people starve. You know, for context. Because doing a funny voice, makes you more worthy than the lives of millions of people.

Laser Priest said:
Poor, poor humanity.
Don't you just love it when someone doesn't understand how some words change with context?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/humanity

Definition 2, so you can learn about English.

Laser Priest said:
But sure, let's go with your idea. Would you like everybody to be equal in the way of living on scraps or would you like everybody to be paid millions a year so money loses all value and everybody ends up living on scraps?
How about everyone earns an equal, fair and livable wage, without either extreme?

I know, I'm so partisan here. #Revolutionary

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Really, who cares? The guy makes videos where he plays games and people watch him. He gets paid, the cycle continues. At least it isn't like the Kardassians.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Ephidel said:
Making millions whilst people starve. You know, for context. Because doing a funny voice, makes you more worthy than the lives of millions of people.
You're right! People are starving somewhere in the world! I guess everybody who makes money is a NO GOOD ROTTEN PIG, AMIRITE LADIES?

Don't you just love it when someone doesn't understand how some words change with context?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/humanity

Definition 2, so you can learn about English.
Don't you just love it when someone doesn't understand that you're just making a joke?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/joke

Definition 1.2 so you can see what I think of your feeble attempt at making arguments.

How about everyone earns an equal, fair and livable wage, without either extreme?

I know, I'm so partisan here. #Revolutionary
Oh, of course. We never thought of that. Welp, since it was your idea, we'll give you the honour of dividing up the entirety of human wealth evenly. Thanks for your enlightenment.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
MXRom said:
Really, who cares? The guy makes videos where he plays games and people watch him. He gets paid, the cycle continues. At least it isn't like the Kardassians.
Don't you understaaand?!

The fact that he makes money because he provides the entertainment people demand makes him worse than Hitler somehow! The internet's logic is infallible!

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
GZGoten said:
he makes 4 million a year? 0__0

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!
It is kind of hard to understand how he makes that much money when nearly every single comment on this article is about how terrible he is. One gets the feeling that no one likes him and everyone takes joy in saying how much he sucks and...oh, I think I see why he turned the comments off. Youtube is so much worse than other websites.

I've never heard of the guy, but four million dollars a year is nothing to laugh at. I with I could have just one forth of that.
PewDiePie is a master of internet culture and to a lesser extent pop culture, which is almost never stated (certainly not on this forum anyway). His persona with it's giddy emotive multiplicity isn't a reflection of young people - it's a representation of the idealistic internet itself - much like the title character in the cartoon Freakazoid! is a metaphor for the internet. This multiplistic mania is present in many other popular Youtubers, like Tobuscus for example.

PewDiePie appeals most to (usually young) people who idealize the internet and it's culture.