YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I haven't seen a single video of his. And while I constantly hear about what a cool dude he is, I never hear anything but bad things about his video content. As someone of that persuasion I say: good.

Turn them off. Keep them off and never turn them back on again. Reading Youtube comment is like hitting yourself in the balls with your own forehead, and that's just on average, let alone when you attain the kind've popularity that Pewds has. Yeah, yeah, stamping out discussion, blah, blah. On channels like his, fuck discussion. Nothing is ever discussed.

Two thumbs up Pewds. I wish I liked your videos more.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
said to earn him $4 million a year.
What the hell.

I've clearly made a wrong turn in my life somewhere and missed the bus for this whole YouTube schtick. I'd be happy with a 10th or even 100th of that per year for making videos about playing games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i dont watch this videos. in fact i run a greasemonkey script that automatically hides anything he does on youtube. however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.

GZGoten said:
he makes 4 million a year? 0__0
He is The number 1 most subscribed/viewed person on youtube, regardless of category.

Machine Man 1992 said:
I can't really complain about this; one of my favorite YouTubers, Nerd Cubed, turned off comments because of link spam and how the Google+ integration fucked with the pages.

Axing the comments for practical reasons is also a possibility.
NerdCubed had a fan design a website for him to "make youtube the way he wanted it to be" and didnt include comments. he just seems to hate any kind of criticism.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
personally I would just leave the comments on people will always want a place to insult complete strangers and he wouldn't want it spilling over into the places where he actually values the discussion

Xan Krieger said:
anonymity88 said:
Me55enger said:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.
It is truly mind boggling. My mind has been boggled.
More mind blowing and confusing than any Metal Gear Solid game's plot. I mean even the huge plot twists of Metal Gear Solid 2 can't compare to someone making 4 million dollars per year just by being funny while playing games. If that's all it takes to be a millionaire in today's world then fuck it, nuke the planet, let's start over. Invent a time machine that only goes forward and let's go around again.
30 million subscribers and most of the videos i looked at on the first page had at least 3 million views its not that surprising, as much as you may or may not like his videos that's a huge audience.

if anyone could do that there would be no value there but that's obviously not the case so he must be doing something right

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Bolo The Great said:
DerangedHobo said:
Bolo The Great said:
I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.
Moviebob said something in his TMNT review that really stuck with me (the following is horrific paraphrasing): "'It's for kids' shouldn't be used as a defense of a bad movie, the kids deserved better, they look towards media for morals and guiedance and you failed them" This is basically my view of the vast majority of popular content when it comes to Youtube, it's all low rent swill for the masses to eat up. Not that I am above this by any stretch but it's still depressing nether the less.
Well MoiveBob does have a massive superiority complex so i guess that's par for the course.
Why not judge what he says rather than his character? There are many well written stories appropriate for children while also having good role models for them to look up to. TMNT was a travesty in that regard, being neither intelligent, insightful, clever, or suitable for children.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
I'm still wondering, what kind of person commenting on PewDiePie's video anyway? Going to to another Let's Play YouTuber's channel and I always see people commenting "PewDiePie rip off". Trolling or not, there's nothing really worthy to know about his fanbase or people who subscribe to him.

I find hilarious and meaningful comments on other YouTube videos that gave both entertainment and information, that's why most of the time, reading comments is fun on its own. PewDiePie however, with his baffling humor that I can't find a good reason to even crack a smile, what makes you think that the comments, the majority of them is his fanbase, will be any different?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I like how the biggest reaction in this thread is to how much money he makes.

It makes sense, the comments on Youtube are bad in general, and tend to get worse the more views a video has. TB turned off his comments section a while ago and says he has zero regrets about it.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
This immediately came to mind.
I'm not a fan of the uploader, but I feel it's relevant.
Also the venn diagram overlap of people who watch PDP and people who make youtube comments is probably a very dark place indeed.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Lightknight said:
This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.
The YT comments section isn't designed for discussion. Stupid bait-y comments get voted up and put on top, so everyone ends up just replying to those comments. You want discussion, go to forums with moderators.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
This is probably the only thing the guy will ever be good for, with someone that big disabling your shitty comment system for good Youtube might yet implement some filters or moderation.
Or at the very least stop changing the site every damn week so my filters can keep working, I don't intend to redo them every damn time.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'd say that's a defeat. It's true that Youtube comments can become often vile (especially when many people want you gone), but it's also an easy option where your fans can quickly share and care, and this is cutting himself off to a lot of them in a way.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
All I can think is

And no body who matter cared.

To be honest I've never watched him never will. Good for him doing what he loves. Still I could not even finish that view the escapist posted.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Strazdas said:
however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.
The problem with comments is not actually criticism to his videos. Those kinds of criticism post rarely exists in his videos. The problem is the mud slinging between fans of PDP and the haters.

Do you also think that's the same reason TotalBiscuit turned off his comments? Because he can't handle critics? Both of them are turning it off for other reasons, like not "she who will not be named"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Strazdas said:
i dont watch this videos. in fact i run a greasemonkey script that automatically hides anything he does on youtube. however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.
at this point I honestly think youtube comments are beyond defending

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Bolo The Great said:
PewDiePie is a persona and a character. He has that irritating energy level to appeal to his watches who are usually early to mid teens. I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

From what I've heard from everyone who has interacted with him in real life he is actually very pleasant and humble. Being mad at PewDiePie is like being mad at teeny pop music. He's simply serving an audience you are not part of.
Honestly I liked his early videos better when he was just being himself. I was a subscriber for a little while but quickly left because I simply couldn't stand his persona anymore.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
I've only seen 2 of his videos, and found that neither was entertaining for me, but I respect the work he does for charity and think he's well within his rights to block out the haters.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
How is this even news?
I doubt many people here even like him, let alone care about his youtube comments.

On a side note, he completely ruined my hairstyle. People started asking if I copy him because I happened to have a vaguely similar style, which involves waking up and doing shit all to it. Why the ever living hell would I copy any youtube star, let alone him?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Me55enger said:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.
Yeah. It just makes you want to press the reset button :\