Youtube is now removing the dislike feature

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Gyrobot said:
Most forms of humor has been deemed offensive and offenders be cancelled. So yes we do live in a post joke world
No, we don't.
We live in a post-irony world. Which means Poe's Law is always in effect, and making comedy that's more absurd than reality becomes increasingly harder. But not impossible.

We also live in a post-truth world. Which is why people can claim anything and still find people that agree with them. Like that jokes are cancelled, for example.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No, we don't.
We live in a post-irony world. Which means Poe's Law is always in effect, and making comedy that's more absurd than reality becomes increasingly harder. But not impossible.

We also live in a post-truth world. Which is why people can claim anything and still find people that agree with them. Like that jokes are cancelled, for example.
But we cant make jokes about throwing commies and gays out of helicopters anymore. Those mean cancellers, taking away jokes

Because I cant think of anything funnier murdering people extra-judiciously

(I'm all seriousness, I would point to this sort of stuff being the start of the Post Joke world. But you may call it irony.)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What the fuck happened to US democracy, and why are people so intolerant of words. For the record, I don't want wild west of the internet with silk road black market sellers, and people doing illegal, but most importantly immoral, dangerous bullshit. But I draw the line on the free speech of opinions, and the right to dislike something, and freedom of expression. I would argue the internet is some ways less free than it was in the 2010s.
I think you've made a bunch of assumptions

1. When has the US ever been tolerant of words? It sure wasn't the Cold War. Or Civil Rights movement. McCarthyism. Satanic Panic. Seems like a whole lot of intolerance for decades.
2. There's a bunch of Qanon, Myanmar eugenic extremist, Antivaxxers, Black Jews, Nazis, birthers and tankies all over Facebook. How much Free Speech is actually being impinged? Because it's seems to be doing very little.
3. That's not saying that there aren't any Free Speech restrictions. Because a bunch of stuff is automatically demonetised. Like LBGT (for or against) or Covid. In fact, it really hard for people to loss their platform on Facebook over Covid. You have to pretend that your medicine is a wonder drug and tell people to use it. This includes the vaccine. If you are seen to be saying your medicine has no side effects, yoi can get banned. But... if you add a 'may' somewhere in your sentences, you are free and clear.
4. This clamped down on Free Speech for YouTube specifically started when people demanded Al-qaeda be taken down back in 2006 (I think, like before it was even offically YouTube.) So, should they be allowed back on? I know Leg End wanted this because they are that pro-Free Speech. Not many others wanted to join that idea
5. Pre-2010 internet was a even shitter hole than it is now. It was also very closed minded, not Free Speech. No thank you

Reactions: Hades

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, we don't.

Or that jokes are the cause of or will lead to 80+ murders. So we can't tell those certain jokes anymore. But yeh I agree on the Poe's law thing.

1. When has the US ever been tolerant of words? It sure wasn't the Cold War. Or Civil Rights movement. McCarthyism. Satanic Panic. Seems like a whole lot of intolerance for decades.
2. There's a bunch of Qanon, Myanmar eugenic extremist, Antivaxxers, Black Jews, Nazis, birthers and tankies all over Facebook. How much Free Speech is actually being impinged? Because it's seems to be doing very little.
3. That's not saying that there aren't any Free Speech restrictions. Because a bunch of stuff is automatically demonetised. Like LBGT (for or against) or Covid. In fact, it really hard for people to loss their platform on Facebook over Covid. You have to pretend that your medicine is a wonder drug and tell people to use it. This includes the vaccine. If you are seen to be saying your medicine has no side effects, yoi can get banned. But... if you add a 'may' somewhere in your sentences, you are free and clear.
4. This clamped down on Free Speech for YouTube specifically started when people demanded Al-qaeda be taken down back in 2006 (I think, like before it was even offically YouTube.) So, should they be allowed back on? I know Leg End wanted this because they are that pro-Free Speech. Not many others wanted to join that idea
5. Pre-2010 internet was a even shitter hole than it is now. It was also very closed minded, not Free Speech. No thank you
The funny thing being 4 didn't really happen until suddenly there was outrage from Left wing people about right wing extremism on youtube getting funding via youtube adverts.

Reactions: Gergar12

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Our literal second president came up with the Alien and Sedition Acts. We made it 9 whole years.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Almost every left-wing youtube channel has been demonetized and forced to rely on subscriptions, and Patreon. Back then the internet wasn't like this. IF you got the views, you got the money and the ad revenue. And it's only gotten worst, all the political channels are getting their subs grown grinded to a halt unless they are CNN.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Almost every left-wing youtube channel has been demonetized and forced to rely on subscriptions, and Patreon. Back then the internet wasn't like this. IF you got the views, you got the money and the ad revenue. And it's only gotten worst, all the political channels are getting their subs grown grinded to a halt unless they are CNN.
Maybe people are just tired of politics after so many years of it?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The funny thing being 4 didn't really happen until suddenly there was outrage from Left wing people about right wing extremism on youtube getting funding via youtube adverts.
No. It happen TO left wing people all the time. Anything conservatives didnt like could just be called Comminist terrorists. You were never allowed to say that Israel were mistreating Palestinians or you would lose your job. Bernie Sanders was a lone voice in the wilderness because of conservatives cancelling people all the time.

The outrage you are talking about comes from conservatives being treated exactly how they treat others. So way later. And no, I dont think it smart for left people to copy the right's tactics. But it's now to late to stop it.

There were hardly even any Left on YouTube until recent years. And, as others have pointed out, they cannot rely on advertising money. I mean, advertisers wouldn't even touch Steven Colbert the day of Jan 6. And he was just commenting on what happened. And he's centre left

This hasn't got anything to do with the Internet, but Bill Clinton went hardcore against environmentalist, calling them terrorist. He locked up way more 'ecoterroeists' than any other president. Then his side kick pretends he should be president due to his 'climate cred.' Being attacked because you are on the left, even by the 'left' party, is just par for the course

Reactions: Hades

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Breadtube or any Left Tube didn't really exist before the Event that Shall Not be Named. Ideas were being silenced but Youtube just wasnt making a big deal put of it like they do today. They were doing exactly what you were worried about but just pretended they didn't

This is not to say that today is good. There is way more transparency than what there used to be... with the caveat that I think their transparency is still awful

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No. It happen TO left wing people all the time. Anything conservatives didnt like could just be called Comminist terrorists. You were never allowed to say that Israel were mistreating Palestinians or you would lose your job. Bernie Sanders was a lone voice in the wilderness because of conservatives cancelling people all the time.

The outrage you are talking about comes from conservatives being treated exactly how they treat others. So way later. And no, I dont think it smart for left people to copy the right's tactics. But it's now to late to stop it.

There were hardly even any Left on YouTube until recent years. And, as others have pointed out, they cannot rely on advertising money. I mean, advertisers wouldn't even touch Steven Colbert the day of Jan 6. And he was just commenting on what happened. And he's centre left

This hasn't got anything to do with the Internet, but Bill Clinton went hardcore against environmentalist, calling them terrorist. He locked up way more 'ecoterroeists' than any other president. Then his side kick pretends he should be president due to his 'climate cred.' Being attacked because you are on the left, even by the 'left' party, is just par for the course
No it really didn't happen to left wing people all the time.
What happened to left wing people is they did bad on youtube and by left wing I don't mean liberal.
Failing to make money doesn't mean they were being hit just they weren't meeting the standards and numbers required to be eligible for any real money. I mean I think Kevin Logan has had a youtube channel longer than I have and put out far more stuff but dude barely gets any interest or traction and only gets known when he's been the side kick in some bizarre plot to take down "The evil Anti-SJW Manophere"
The only time they've had any kind of success was with big companies backing them like MTV or the Vox media empire etc etc.

Most of the early incarnations of breadtube failed spectacularly ether falling into infighting or doing something so egregious they ended up getting blasted by everyone else because turns out people don't take kindly to attempts to dox a person and trying to have them arrested for crimes that carry death sentences....... yes that happened before, but here's one of the collapses that happened

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
It's done. I hoped they would at least leave the videos from before the change alone. I'll probably be spending less time there now. Too inefficient without the dislikes.

Vimeo could have been a worthy competitor before they charged for creator accounts. No one wants their videos deleted just because they let their subscriptions lapse.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It's done. I hoped they would at least leave the videos from before the change alone. I'll probably be spending less time there now. Too inefficient without the dislikes.

Vimeo could have been a worthy competitor before they charged for creator accounts. No one wants their videos deleted just because they let their subscriptions lapse.
Odysee seems fairly good competitor other than it struggling (at least for me) to hit 1080p consistently but 720p streaming is fine enough on most stuff.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think I've ever looked at a ratio for a video, outside of laughing at bad video game trailers or something like that. Otherwise the Like system is basically pointless.

And you'll be easily able to tell if a video sucks by looking at the top comments which will bash the youtuber and claim that they should die in a fire for making a video like this.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Too inefficient? How do you use YouTube?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
One more reason to look for an alternative. Bitchute is OK but gives no notice if someone replies to a message you leave.
Vimeo looks to be more about creators.
Trying Odyssey next.
But I will miss the dislike button.
To think of how wild west Youtube was only 5 years ago. How quickly things can change.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
One more reason to look for an alternative. Bitchute is OK but gives no notice if someone replies to a message you leave.
Vimeo looks to be more about creators.
Trying Odyssey next.
But I will miss the dislike button.
To think of how wild west Youtube was only 5 years ago. How quickly things can change.
You can look for an alternative all you want. Youtube has a userbase of damn near everyone on the planet with internet. There will never be a viable competitor to it. Or at least wont be one until someone with google money wants to make one.

Any other video hosting site is only going to survive based off novelty and having "no rules", so basically the video version of 4chan.

Reactions: gorfias

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No it really didn't happen to left wing people all the time.
What happened to left wing people is they did bad on youtube and by left wing I don't mean liberal.
Failing to make money doesn't mean they were being hit just they weren't meeting the standards and numbers required to be eligible for any real money. I mean I think Kevin Logan has had a youtube channel longer than I have and put out far more stuff but dude barely gets any interest or traction and only gets known when he's been the side kick in some bizarre plot to take down "The evil Anti-SJW Manophere"
The only time they've had any kind of success was with big companies backing them like MTV or the Vox media empire etc etc.

Most of the early incarnations of breadtube failed spectacularly ether falling into infighting or doing something so egregious they ended up getting blasted by everyone else because turns out people don't take kindly to attempts to dox a person and trying to have them arrested for crimes that carry death sentences....... yes that happened before, but here's one of the collapses that happened

Wow, is there a new goal post event at the Olympics? I'm sure you're going to win the gold, man. That was incredible

Advertisers did NOT want to support anything left wing on YouTube for a very long time. Didn't matter if it was racial, class, homosexuality, transgender, Israel, Afghanistan/Iraq, China, South America (all of it), globalism, complaints about Obama/Clintons, drones, miltary expenditure, social security or health care. It was all deemed anathema. It's 'quality' was not relevant. It was deemed hereitcal so needed to be excised as quickly as possible

Then Patreon started, and lefties could get around YouTube advertisers demands and speak straight to the people. Even now, most advertisers still won't touch anything left. Even though many people are successful on Patreon etc. So, no. Lefties will never be as successful as right wingers, money wise. It's baked in for them not to be. But, if you've spent anytime on the left, you know this is standard procedure. You get an automatic attempts at being deplatformed just for existing.

Just note, lefties don't whinge about like a right winger does, and considering it happens so sporadically in comparison, I find their complaints genuinely amusing

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You can look for an alternative all you want. Youtube has a userbase of damn near everyone on the planet with internet. There will never be a viable competitor to it. Or at least wont be one until someone with google money wants to make one.

Any other video hosting site is only going to survive based off novelty and having "no rules", so basically the video version of 4chan.
I advocate for breaking up Google. (I.e. Youtube is a seperate company.) But then I recognize that this is not enough to remove the stranglehold. I don't know how you break it up without break up the user base somehow... and I don't know how you could do that... may on language lines? (i.e. French speaking Youtube is a seperate company from English. This... does concern me though.)

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I guess I just don't understand what makes it so difficult. A functioning chat feature is all Bitchute is missing for me.
Yet I do see issues with creating them. For instance, when V2 of Escapist dropped, it had chat powered by I think Disqus? I signed up for it and promptly got an email from a hacker with my pw wanting $. I haven't used the feature since (on the main pages).
I've not tried 4Chan before. I'll take a look.