Youtube is now removing the dislike feature

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Wow, is there a new goal post event at the Olympics? I'm sure you're going to win the gold, man. That was incredible

Advertisers did NOT want to support anything left wing on YouTube for a very long time. Didn't matter if it was racial, class, homosexuality, transgender, Israel, Afghanistan/Iraq, China, South America (all of it), globalism, complaints about Obama/Clintons, drones, miltary expenditure, social security or health care. It was all deemed anathema. It's 'quality' was not relevant. It was deemed hereitcal so needed to be excised as quickly as possible

Then Patreon started, and lefties could get around YouTube advertisers demands and speak straight to the people. Even now, most advertisers still won't touch anything left. Even though many people are successful on Patreon etc. So, no. Lefties will never be as successful as right wingers, money wise. It's baked in for them not to be. But, if you've spent anytime on the left, you know this is standard procedure. You get an automatic attempts at being deplatformed just for existing.

Just note, lefties don't whinge about like a right winger does, and considering it happens so sporadically in comparison, I find their complaints genuinely amusing
And because most of the Left Wing youtubers were not pulling in many views at all and kept turning out to be a hotbed of infighting and really terrible drama. Turns out when you keep accusing one another of being sociopaths and rapists advertisers get a bit scared to associate their brand with anyone in that sector.

As for attempt at being deplatformed, yeh buy your own side and the ever growing purity spiral. Contra Points has had what 3 attempts to cancel her by left wing twitter now lol.

Also Lefties do whinge about it, they just roll it all into the general complaining about capitalism

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I guess I just don't understand what makes it so difficult. A functioning chat feature is all Bitchute is missing for me.
Yet I do see issues with creating them. For instance, when V2 of Escapist dropped, it had chat powered by I think Disqus? I signed up for it and promptly got an email from a hacker with my pw wanting $. I haven't used the feature since (on the main pages).
I've not tried 4Chan before. I'll take a look.
I'm personally an apps person, if I can get the app to run on a smart TV box I'll consider it. Apparently Rumble has a Roku app.

The only other big-ish site that's not youtube and has apps everywhere is Dailymotion

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm personally an apps person, if I can get the app to run on a smart TV box I'll consider it. Apparently Rumble has a Roku app.

The only other big-ish site that's not youtube and has apps everywhere is Dailymotion
Yikes... Rageaholic newest video on Dailymotion is 4 years old? I'm thinking he's stopped uploading there. Rats.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I guess I just don't understand what makes it so difficult.
You don't see the huge database store required that needs to be capable of queueing up almost instantly? You're talking Trillions of Terabytes of video data, all available with instant search results. The computing power and server storage they need for that to happen is fucking insane. To have someone else pop up as a competitor you'd have to have the equipment and money of Amazon and they already have a competitor in Twitch.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You don't see the huge database store required that needs to be capable of queueing up almost instantly? You're talking Trillions of Terabytes of video data, all available with instant search results. The computing power and server storage they need for that to happen is fucking insane. To have someone else pop up as a competitor you'd have to have the equipment and money of Amazon and they already have a competitor in Twitch.
Even Bitchute is kinda doing what you're describing. What they aren't doing right is a chat feature. Is that portion of it all really that difficult?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Even Bitchute is kinda doing what you're describing. What they aren't doing right is a chat feature. Is that portion of it all really that difficult?
I dont know what you mean by a chat feature. Are you talking about comments or the live chat on streams?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I dont know what you mean by a chat feature. Are you talking about comments or the live chat on streams?
No, maybe more an IM feature? What you and I are doing here. I commented. You replied and I got notice you replied. Now... do that allowing comments and conversation about videos.

If I comment on on youtube, same thing. You can reply and I get notice you did so. On Bitchute, I can only see if you replied if I go back to my comment to see if you did. N No notice.

They do still allow down votes, thankfully.

EDIT: Trying Odysee and have to love their front page message:

1638369145783.png

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Sure, civilized people just talk things through.
Only if both parties consider each other civilized. Or people.

One more reason to look for an alternative. Bitchute is OK but gives no notice if someone replies to a message you leave.
Vimeo looks to be more about creators.
Trying Odyssey next.
But I will miss the dislike button.
To think of how wild west Youtube was only 5 years ago. How quickly things can change.
Try Tik Tok, maybe?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Civilised people shoot Nazis in the face.
You may be thinking of like, some Nazi great grand father from the 40s who got teleported into the future and now is in your dining room having dinner and celebrating his reich.

I'm thinking of an actual relative from this era who may have seen one too many youtube videos from people afraid the jews drink baby spine fluid and thinks naziism is a recourse to that, which I think is the more likely sort of "nazi" you will be encountering, and those people you can definitely talk to. Not saying it'll work but if you just kick em out then the only door open left to them will be the baby spine fluid one.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Not saying it'll work but if you just kick em out then the only door open left to them will be the baby spine fluid one.
So there should be no social consequences for saying and doing horrible things?

And if someone is going to come into my house and spew Nazi propaganda, then they'll have to make a choice which they value more: their hatred of Jews or their friendship with me. And if they choose hate, I'm better off without them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

And if someone is going to come into my house and spew Nazi propaganda, then they'll have to make a choice which they value more: their hatred of Jews or their friendship with me. And if they choose hate, I'm better off without them.
You ever heard of the idea of defooing? It's a kind of ex communication often used by very religious groups or cults like ex-communication but an extreme version. Happens when some-one doesn't tow the line or question the doctrine.

Doing, maybe depending on the act, saying though? Nah you counter speech with speech, if they won't listen to you and refuse to shut up then sure do something but immediately yelling "GTFO of my house you're not welcome here anymore and I want nothing to do with you anymore" solves nothing other than give you a false sense of achieving something when you've done nothing, hell less than nothing as you've not tried to fix things just acted on emotional impulse to take the easiest road to feeling better of getting rid of what made you feel bad rather than fix what made you feel bad so it doesn't anymore. It's throwing out the painting because it's crooked rather than taking the time to straighten it and make sure it's level.

But considering your seeming attitude here you wouldn't be willing to engage just throw down an ultimatum that they change instantly for you without you having to put in any work into that change.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

There shouldn't be standard ones, no, only contextual ones, based on the specific situation and what is actually ongoing. Like you can just tell the person you're not into that aspect of them and to not bring it up around you, and they then have the dialogue tree choice of listening to you and being cool or being fanatics. It's not as if someone can't interact with the corporeal world once they utter one nazi thing. So you can still affect them beyond merely in the way of punishment. Also, in the above scenario, the actual affront is not them saying crazy nazi things, but not stopping when you told em it's not cool with you. That, that's the real issue there and something worth arguing for. It shows they put politics over your feelings, and real friends don't do that, I felt I should clarify.

And if someone actually does something horrible instead of merely saying it you can always sue them, nobody said you shouldn't be able to.

Just as how they have to make that choice, you have to make the choice of whether you love that person more than you care about politics, and I dunno but I'm a very loyal person so if I'm someone's friend I would never just toss em aside the moment they said something insane. In fact most people have something in their head I deem insane, so if that was my criteria I'd have to become a hermit lol. You can just adapt to your friends and learn to coexist peacefully in a way that is comfortable to you.

If the people around you are 100% in the same wavelength as you are and agree with you on everything you don't call that friendship, you call that a facade. That just means either nobody's being honest or real, or you're all in a cult.

In the end of the day this all boils down to how much you care about politics, and you have to realize that tons of people out there don't care much about it at all, but they love their friends and family, and they are willing to forgive minor quirks that they don't really understand all that much to begin with in favor of all the other good traits of that person that made em friends in the first place. That sort of attitude is way more commonplace and normal than kicking friends out (or shooting em in the face).

Last edited: