Zack Snyder’s Justice League

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Well if there's anything I can say is that this movie might end up being a "Revenge of the Sith" type of movie.

The "best of the 3 movies, but still not good" type of thing?
Well, no, because it hasn't got much chance of being better than Wonder Woman or Birds of Prey. (Or Man of Steel)

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
They weren't afraid; they were attracted to Rick Flag. The reason being, his girlfriend was possessed by Enchantress and some part of her was still in there. It did go somewhere, you just forgot.
I just checked, they absolute do say they're afraid. Directly from the movie with subtitles:

"Apparently, that's why the creatures chase him all the time.
'Cause they're scared of him."

Never brought up again.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought people didn't like Birds of Prey?
Vocal Minority. Granted, it did okay in theaters, but BoP did not perform as well as SS (2016) due to the age rating difference. A lot of teenagers, girls especially, love Suicide Squad and were able to watch it, because of the PG-13 rating. BoP has an R-rating so, not as many got to see it as they wanted. The DVD/Blu Rays were a lot better though. We're getting a Suicide Squad 2 that is stated to take place after BoP, so it all works out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just checked, they absolute do say they're afraid. Directly from the movie with subtitles:

"Apparently, that's why the creatures chase him all the time.
'Cause they're scared of him."

Never brought up again.
Okay. Still does not explain if they were afraid, why not kill him then and there, instead of dragging him. Especially when the Enchantress is giving that stupid speech to everyone towards the end. Flagg included. If she was so scared, she should have just killed him then and there. I am going to assume that it's a consequence of the cuts and re-shoots. Thank you for the info.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I watched the trailer. Can someone explain to me the point of this movie? The DCEU is all but dead, Wonder Woman is the only passable character they have and her last movie was a bomb. What's the point of a 4 hour cut of a 4 year old movie? Just to show it could have been good with an additional year of production, a few extra million and 2 more hours of run time? Like does anyone think Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill will be rehired and come back and this will get the DCEU back on track?

It almost feels like a spiteful vanity project. This is Zack Snyder dunking of WB for being shitty to him over his daughter's death, which fair enough, but this is a lot of work for a 4 hour long 'Fuck you'.
Exactly how were WB shitty to Zack and Deborah after their daughter committed suicide?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Moviebob?
He loved it. Gave BoP a 9/10.

Filmento? Professor Geek?
Don't know; don't care.

Keep in mind, COVID hit soon pretty much after the film came out, and lots of theatres shutdown. The movie still performed fine, but could have earned more. That was the other factor other than the R rating. The movie did even better on home video, so there is no sadness or complaining from me.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Exactly how were WB shitty to Zack and Deborah after their daughter committed suicide?
They got some hack to ruin the movie they were working on. Considering that the Director's Cut is 4 hours long and alleged to share only about 30 minutes of footage with the theatrical cut I'm gonna go ahead and say that that theatrical cut is not at all what the Snyder's wanted the movie to be. There was obviously not even an attempt made to honor their vision for the movie when they left the project to mourn the loss of their daughter. Say what you want, Warner Bros screwed them over, right after they suffered a great personal tragedy.

And to add insult to injury, Whedon turned out to be a bully who seems to have treated actors and staff very poorly when he took over and by now has countless allegations of sexist and racist behaviour on set against him.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
They got some hack to ruin the movie they were working on. Considering that the Director's Cut is 4 hours long and alleged to share only about 30 minutes of footage with the theatrical cut I'm gonna go ahead and say that that theatrical cut is not at all what the Snyder's wanted the movie to be. There was obviously not even an attempt made to honor their vision for the movie when they left the project to mourn the loss of their daughter. Say what you want, Warner Bros screwed them over, right after they suffered a great personal tragedy.

And to add insult to injury, Whedon turned out to be a bully who seems to have treated actors and staff very poorly when he took over and by now has countless allegations of sexist and racist behaviour on set against him.
And all this just because WB got cold feet and caved into the outrage in the mainstream that "BvS is not how we think DC should be, be more like the MCU!, Batman and Superman don't kill, etc. etc."

I mean its already incredibly suspect that they hired fucking Joss Whedon, because you know, he made The Avengers. So he tried to make the movie like The Avengers.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

A four hour movie was never going to go to Cinemas because Justice League isn’t the Lord of the Rings. And cinema chains wouldn’t accept it because they’d be getting three showings a day per screen and DC did not - then or now - have the pedigree to justify the risk.

Hiring Joss Whedon was a decision that made sense on paper that didn’t work and turned out to be terrible. Congratulations, that’s something that happens in the movie business. Warner Bros. made what were clearly business decisions and I do not fault them for that; I don’t expect them to just put the jobs and livelihoods of a few thousand people on hold for one couple. WB have surely sins to answer for, but replacing someone who left because his world was torn asunder isn’t one of them.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
With it being 4 hours I can always pretend this is actually 2 movies back to back.

Like Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Please watch this
I appreciate the effort, but I don't care how all of these people react. The ones that hate the idea of the Snyder Cut is their problem, and not mine. You posted it already; I am not interested. The ones that are excited or love it, more power to them.

Last edited:

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I appreciate the effort, but I don't care how all of these people react. The ones that hate the idea of the Snyder Cut is there problem, and not mine. You posted it already; I am not interested. The ones that are excited or love it, more power to them.
There also definitely wasn't a Snyder cut before he was given several million dollars to make it happen. It was a self fulfilling prophecy; people kept insisting it existed so WB decided to make it exist. It's also not a film that will have much appeal outside of people who are fans of Snyder specifically since it is going to be obscenely long and have all the things that people dislike about him in abundance. Warner Brothers spending well over $370 million on what is destined to be a cult movie is extremely funny to me.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So I watched the trailer. Can someone explain to me the point of this movie? The DCEU is all but dead, Wonder Woman is the only passable character they have and her last movie was a bomb. What's the point of a 4 hour cut of a 4 year old movie? Just to show it could have been good with an additional year of production, a few extra million and 2 more hours of run time? Like does anyone think Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill will be rehired and come back and this will get the DCEU back on track?

It almost feels like a spiteful vanity project. This is Zack Snyder dunking of WB for being shitty to him over his daughter's death, which fair enough, but this is a lot of work for a 4 hour long 'Fuck you'.
Isn't there like 7 different cuts of Blade Runner?

Also Justice League was originally planned a 2 films and by the looks of the newest trailer what people got in cinemas was the script cut down to just what would have been the first film of the two.

As for spiting WB? well it might not just be WB but all the people who were against it, all the people who were lets say very on the Whedon train and pretending Whedon was the best and his version wouldn't be able to be surpassed by a "hack" like Zack Snyder. The biggest thing? It's a fuck you to corporate plans and media people who dunk on fandoms a toxic and entitled for actually saying what they want to see happen.

In a wider context it's another "The fans just won" vs corporate boot lickers. There's been a thing going on for a while a sort of "elitism" in media criticism of "We're the intelligencia what we say goes you plebians are wrong and should never be listened to" Some of it is just hipster assholes who want stuff to be bad to snark on it like those media people who said Sonic the Hedgehog shouldn't be re-designed in The Sonic Movie, they wanted it to be an awful looking abomination because people like sonic and their only joy anymore is trying to ruin things for people. Just look at all the BS trying to get Joker to fail claiming it was harmful and dangerous?

If other directors want to give doing their own cuts a shot why not?

The extended cut of Suicide Squad filled in a lot of missing stuff. E.G. there's a moment joker confronts a guy over gambling debt early on. People thought that was to get the location of the lab for the neck bombs. It wasn't he's the guard who hands Harley Quinn the cellphone before they leave for the mission.

I don't think Birds of Prey's directors cut would be good but if she's so sure Warner Brothers version of her movie is worse I'd still like to see her version of it be judged,

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
There also definitely wasn't a Snyder cut before he was given several million dollars to make it happen. It was a self fulfilling prophecy; people kept insisting it existed so WB decided to make it exist. It's also not a film that will have much appeal outside of people who are fans of Snyder specifically since it is going to be obscenely long and have all the things that people dislike about him in abundance. Warner Brothers spending well over $370 million on what is destined to be a cult movie is extremely funny to me.
I mean technically they spent about $70 Million because they had a $300 Million film already.
Plenty of studios do big budget remakes of older films many of which aren't needed or are worse versions so why not have studios look at films that failed and try to fix them up for likely less cost than trying to remake them?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I mean technically they spent about $70 Million because they had a $300 Million film already.
Plenty of studios do big budget remakes of older films many of which aren't needed or are worse versions so why not have studios look at films that failed and try to fix them up for likely less cost than trying to remake them?
Because they should have made them good the first time. I don't like the idea of a studio double dipping by making a bad version and then "fixing" it and getting people to pay to see it twice and then expecting to be praised for "listening to the fans."