Zack Snyder Directing Next Superman Movie

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I don't know whether to be happy or fearful of this. I mean, Snyder is a decent enough director, but he tends to wank off with those slo-mo/speed-up shots.

Still, I'll keep a watchful eye on it.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
well.. uh....hmm....interesting choice you made there. Not sure if he is the right fit for superman. Watchmen was excellent and all, but the style isn't right for Superman.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Zack Snyder's films so far have all been about hurf durf ultraviolence and slowmo.

Neither of these things is appropriate for Superman.

I'm going to be optimistic and say that this is the second worst possible matchup of director and property (with first still, naturally, being Shyamalan and Avatar).

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I wish they would move past reusing/rehasing major elements from previous movies in a franchise. If Zod is going to be the villan again, does that mean they are remaking Superman II, or just 're-realizing" it?

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
So apparently, Snyder's now responsible for rescuing every comic franchise from a terrible movie adaptation.

Sad, but good news, I suppose.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So we have a Christopher Nolan/Zack Snyder team-up? Alright, then. This seems incapable of being anything other than god-awful horrible or universe-destroyingly awesome. I'm not seeing much room as far as middle ground is concerned.

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
I'll reserve my judgement for this film until we know who is playing Superman. I approve of Zack Snyder though. At least the film will look very good if nothing else, he's a very talented visual director.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Hmmm, my first reaction was "I don't like Superman..." but then I saw 300!
I loved 300 and thought it was an incredible action flick. But then I saw Watchmen... I'm in the category of people who did not like Watchmen...

It will be hard to say how it will turn out. Personally though, I don't really like superheroes, only well-made movies that happen to feature superheroes. In that case, as long as the man of steel doesn't have the personality (or likability) of an ashtray, the plot characters are compelling, and it follows through with some good action, who knows?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
David Bray said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Here's an example: I dislike Snyder because he managed to make Watchmen boring.

It's certainly an objective statement, but it is better than going "Oh he's such and asshole and I hate him"
Le Snip
Thank you. That was very informative, and I appreciate the effort that went into it. I'm sorry if I'm a little pretentious, but I much prefer a strong explanation for motives over random hatred.

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
I saw a longer version of Watchmen recently which I felt worked better with some of the scenes being given room to breath instead of being rushed through but yeah I don't think he really understood the book and some bits did'nt make sense like
why the comedian was crying when all Ozymandias plan in the movie was to blow shit up and blame Dr Manhattan whereas in the book it was a plan to trick the world and change it for the better which shook his world view or not getting the joke that it was supposed to be Robert Redford running for president not Ronald Reagan

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have no problem with that direcotr, but truthfully I was kind of hoping they would use someone from the Superman rogue's gallery that we hadn't seen much of in movies.

We already had Zod, and tons of Lex Luthor (though honestly nobody managed to ever capture the essence of the character in the films though, especially in the last Superman movie he seemed like a Dweeb rather than a galactic class inventor and genius). While we DID have Brainiac (well a version of it) show up in Smallville I think that character has yet to receive the justice it deserves via a big screen treatment. Darkseid would also be another good choice, though to be fair he's more a villain for the entire Justice League rather than a solo Superman foe (though Supes has given him plenty of trouble on his own).

If it looks decent I'll definatly want to see it of course, but I'm not going to get all that pscyhed up for Zod.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
Wow. I didn't realise so many people hate Snyder. The slow motion can get annoying I guess but I still appreciate it as his style. I loved watchmen and I still like to go back and watch 300 just because of the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I found Superman Returns to be terrible and boring, so this really can't be worse.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I just want this:

I mean seriously. Come on guys. Work on your cross-series-inter-continuity!

Also, I'd much prefer Mogul, Braniac, or Darkseid to Zod.

EDIT: Don't really care about the Snyder thing. He's proved himself with a handful of movies. I actually liked Watchmen, so... yeah. It could be worse. It could suffer the same fate as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I bet, right here and now, the army gets called in in that movie.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Zeromaeus said:
I just want this:

EDIT: Don't really care about the Snyder thing. He's proved himself with a handful of movies. I actually liked Watchmen, so... yeah. It could be worse. It could suffer the same fate as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I bet, right here and now, the army gets called in in that movie.
The DCAU only comes around once in a lifetime, I suppose.

And I did enjoy Watchmen, 300, and Dawn of the Dead. So I'm actually ok with it. I'm glad Luthor isn't the badguy this time around and with the pens at the helm, I think it could finally turn out to be a big Superman movie like the Christopher Reeves ones, but following the story closer.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Vohn_exel said:
Zeromaeus said:
I just want this:

-snip-
The DCAU only comes around once in a lifetime, I suppose.
-snip-
Too true. Still, if Marvel can weave its largely different parts into what's looking to be the realization of many a comic-book nerd's wet dream, what's stopping the people behind the DC movies? Hell, why doesn't DC have its own movie studio yet (like Marvel)? Those big stories, like Superman and Batman, are left to the wayside for seemingly no reason.

More characters I'd prefer to Zod: Bizarro, Doomsday, Cyborg-Superman, and Mister Mxyzptlk. The last and first ones are personal favorites.