Zelda Producer: We Have to be More Careful With Zelda's Artstyle

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
they probably won't be "breaking new ground" with the series.

Breaking new ground in terms of what? Visual appeal?

Is there a translation mishap somewhere in the article? I'm very confused as to why Aonuma is suddenly having intense regret over Windwakers art style (which is fucking adorable might I add) The top three favorite art styles in Zelda games with Skyward Sword in second place and Twilight Princess coming in third.

Unless I'm missing something and he's still- to this very day getting hate mail over a game's art direction from 8 years ago.

This especially confuses me since there was talk of being a dark skinned Link in the new games, and if the comments on the Destructoid were anything to go by, simply THAT was causing a category 5 shit storm that will even rival WindWakers initial announcement.

Then again, I can kind of see where he's coming from. I don't think Aonuma is really talking about Windwaker, but more or less talking about all the Zelda games.

Now that I think about it, sans Twilight Princess's art style (which was loved because 'dark and edgy') Skyward Sword's art style was met with a fuck ton of whining and complaining.
A good amount of those whiners complained about how colorful and "kiddy" it looked like Windwaker. The only difference being Link isn't chibified.
Hell, a good amount of people said they outright refused to buy a game because of the style of Skyward Sword.
While it certainly wasn't kicking up near the amount of shit that WW did, I can understand really well how such reactions for every single unique style you take can really drain on an artist self esteem and confidence.
Put it this way, you honestly start to second guess yourself a lot. Especially if what you chose to do really was the best decision (which they were).

It has to be depressing as shit to do a new artistic style, and most of the comments you get revolve around it not being OoT enough, or 'eurgh yuck colorful and kiddy'

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I thought that Wind Waker was a pretty decent game. Not the best Zelda game ever though, Twilight Princess was still my favorite...that may be the inner kid in me who had the worse case of aquaphobia ever talking though.

Apr 28, 2008
I was one of the idiots who was negative towards Wind Waker's art-style. It is the best looking game in the entire franchise. It makes me sad we won't see another Legend of Zelda that looks like it.

Screw you, young me, you were an idiot and had no damn clue what you were talking about. You prick.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Nintendo will have to be a bit more careful with the series' artstyle in the future, owing the the large negative reaction surrounding The Wind Waker's initial release on Gamecube. "We encountered an awful lot of problems from the drastic leap we took with Wind Waker,"
Except the fact that the negative reaction wasn't to the aesthetic of the game but the bait and switch they pulled. Early views of Zelda footage on the GameCube were more like tech demo teasers of something akin to Ocarina. So everyone was waiting for Ocarina but prettier and then they got a cartoon.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
MrHide-Patten said:
So you're not going to do anything interesting or controversial with a series that has grown stale and predictable, how is that good plan?

Guess I'll never see something like this then...
... because some people might like that idea. Enough to buy a console they weren't intersted in buying before finding out abo- fuck it, I still wouldn't buy it. But I would strongly consider it...

And Captcha please stop asking me to recognise foriegn brands I've never seen before, you international bastard.
As long as that game had elemental dungeons, a hookshot, a boomerang, and a bow and arrow, I still wouldn't buy it. 20 years is enough. At some point, you're going to have to make a different fucking game Nintendo. Jesus Christ.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The idea that Windwaker looks bad is an old fashioned sentiment in more ways than one. People didn't like the look of Windwaker at the time because we were moving into the "brown is cool" phase, now we're over and tired with that and want our colors back. It seems like Nintendo is a generation behind in trends again.

I really don't know how I feel about "innovation" in my franchises anymore. At one side, I feel like Nintendo in this case should just go "Screw you Wind Waker haters from two generations ago, we do what we want". On the other hand there have been a few developers who have seriously screwed up some beloved franchises in the name of change.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Although I loved the celshading in Wind Waker, I'd much more like the new Zelda's to go in a more realistic direction. Twilight Princess was awesome, I can only imagine how great it ultimately can look with the increased power of the WiiU. I think going in a more realistic direction with the series (graphics, story) is the right to do, at least commercially wise. Remember, the last few Zelda's haven't sold all that well.

To see a mature Zelda game still infused with that Nintendo magic would be stunning. I mean, if Nintendo ever bothered to create a complex and engaging story to go with their amazing gameplay... that's how they potentially could recapture the market right there. There are so many gamers that grew up with the classic Nintendo titles, just waiting for them to mature and evolve like they themselves have done. That Nintendo don't take advantage of this is one of their biggest mistakes IMO. Who wouldn't love to play a Zelda game with a focus on story and strong cast of characters such as the Dragon Age/Mass Effect franchises? Combine that with the killer Zelda gameplay, and you have one for the history books right there.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Breaking new ground in terms of what? Visual appeal?

Is there a translation mishap somewhere in the article? I'm very confused as to why Aonuma is suddenly having intense regret over Windwakers art style (which is fucking adorable might I add) The top three favorite art styles in Zelda games with Skyward Sword in second place and Twilight Princess coming in third.

Unless I'm missing something and he's still- to this very day getting hate mail over a game's art direction from 8 years ago.

This especially confuses me since there was talk of being a dark skinned Link in the new games, and if the comments on the Destructoid were anything to go by, simply THAT was causing a category 5 shit storm that will even rival WindWakers initial announcement.

Then again, I can kind of see where he's coming from. I don't think Aonuma is really talking about Windwaker, but more or less talking about all the Zelda games.

Now that I think about it, sans Twilight Princess's art style (which was loved because 'dark and edgy') Skyward Sword's art style was met with a fuck ton of whining and complaining.
A good amount of those whiners complained about how colorful and "kiddy" it looked like Windwaker. The only difference being Link isn't chibified.
Hell, a good amount of people said they outright refused to buy a game because of the style of Skyward Sword.
While it certainly wasn't kicking up near the amount of shit that WW did, I can understand really well how such reactions for every single unique style you take can really drain on an artist self esteem and confidence.
Put it this way, you honestly start to second guess yourself a lot. Especially if what you chose to do really was the best decision (which they were).

It has to be depressing as shit to do a new artistic style, and most of the comments you get revolve around it not being OoT enough, or 'eurgh yuck colorful and kiddy'
I wouldn't be surprised; gamers and the press seem to have garnered this idea that colorful and stylized is shit and must be stamped out to make way for the "serious" art styles. Again, a side effect of gaming being in its awkward puberty phase.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CriticKitten said:
People like to piss all over Twilight Princess for some reason, too. And yeah, it's got flaws: mechanically, the Wii controls weren't properly refined until Skyward Sword, and they forced you to collect too many items overall. But it introduced one of the better storylines the series has ever seen, IMO, and by far one of the best companions the series has ever known in the form of Midna, who I still would rather have for the next Super Smash over most of the other Zelda characters they'll undoubtedly use instead. She had personality, she felt like a real character....hell, she was a better character than ZELDA was in the same game!
Midna was probably the only good character in Twilight Princess though. The mini-game host from Wind Waker had more personality than most of the characters from Twilight Princess combined.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Red X said:
I'm still waiting for Cyberpunk Zelda. We've had a steampunk Zelda yet?
Not really, unless having a working train system in a medieval fantasy setting would be considered steampunk.

OT: I think everyone's jumping to conclusions here. Just on that statement alone, I don't think we will never see a stylized Zelda game ever again based on what Aonuma just said. I just don't see how Aonuma is a detractor of the "toon Link" art style when there have been five games in the series that used the Wind Waker art style, even if it was just the official art.

Aonuma's made mistakes before in his handling of Zelda, but he clearly does not hate the Wind Waker style. Unless he's gotten vetoed on the subject multiple times in the last ten years.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I tend to find that stylized art styles tend to age much better than games that strive for something more realistic. You can still pick up WW now and it looks stunning even without the HD makeover. Besides, varying visual styles are, to me at least, a hallmark of the entire series.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Wind Waker was fine albeit for the sailing, look to the gameplay there you will find the real problems......

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Dragonbums said:

I wouldn't say he's apologizing at all, as many people seem to think, but merely analyzing.
I'll say this appears to be a very polite way of saying, "too many gamers are too closed-minded to give something new and interesting a chance, so you have no right to complain that games are samey."

Also,
Klagermeister said:
>Emulate the artstyle of Twilight Princess
>Make the story M-rated, with violence, heartbreak, adult themes, etc. Completely badass.
>MAJOR PROFIT

Twilight Princess will always be my favorite. It kinda was "ultra-realistic", and I liked that.
Also bring back Midna. She was the only not-annoying-as-shit companion character.
Ugh. Yeah, that's an idea. Make a game in a previously meant-for-all-ages series that alienates the majority of those who would buy it. Major profit.

In case the sarcasm wasn't obvious enough, I'll point out that people on forums have no idea how much of a representation of the average gamer they aren't. I think there's a pie chart that proves that. I also wonder why those in charge of one of the most successful franchises in history need to take business advice from any of us.

It's also ironic that, when commenting on an article that references difficulty in creative differentiation, you (and a whole bunch of others in this thread) state your desire of a game that does just the opposite. Perhaps Aonuma's reluctance to try and do new and different things is justified.

I personally admire that the Zelda series is a mix of a number of different styles. I have a whole separate rant relating to that specifically, but I'll say that while I recognize the value of a franchise that maintains a consistency in style throughout its iterations (GTA, Metroid Prime trilogy, Portal, Soul Calibur, a whole bunch of others), I don't want Zelda to be one of them.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I shamelessly do not like Wind Waker's art style and absolutely agree that it was a silly idea. Not horrible, just...*why*?

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i sadly was one of the people who used to hate the Wind Waker style but i was also 13 years old and stupid. though i still really prefer realistic style graphics for Zelda games. It makes the games more dark and natural and serious. Wind waker was a really nice looking and feeling game all the same

the only concepts of character design i really really hate are the stupid random towns people who are human but have giant orange noses but its not a beak, its just a screwed up nose. its so stupid looking while Link and Zelda look like a normal human being, with normal features besides having pointy ears. it doesnt match up. but then again there are rock people, Gorons, fish people, Zora's and plant people, Deku's in this world so maybe its just another race i guess