Zelda Wii U is Open World, Coming 2015

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Andy Shandy said:
[HEADING=1]SO PRETTY! :D[/HEADING]

All in-engine too, apparently. 2015 is going to kill my wallet.
Anybody else reminded of Princess Mononoke?
Replace the horse by a deer like creature and it sure fit.

ToastiestZombie said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
That protagonist is right handed, and wears blue instead of green. Maybe, just maybe, we're playing Zelda in this game? I'd welcome it.
Gabanuka said:
Since when is Link a right-handed lady in a blue tunic?
The right handed version came from Skyward Sword (since you're using the waggle stick to sword fight, and more people are right handed, Link became right handed).

The blue tunic though (and the ponytail) those are new.
The blue tunic isn't new. It's what both the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword links wore before you got the main outfit and you get it in Wind Waker after you beat the game. As for whether it's Link or not, I'm pretty sure it is.
Link also got a blue tunic as an upgrade in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm really not seeing how/why people are claiming Link's a chick here or whatever. It's pretty clearly a male Link, just like every other Zelda game ever made. He's got a ponytail now, that's the only difference.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Agayek said:
I'm really not seeing how/why people are claiming Link's a chick here or whatever. It's pretty clearly a male Link, just like every other Zelda game ever made. He's got a ponytail now, that's the only difference.
Probably because after almost thirty years of getting kidnapped, people want to see a Zelda game where the titular character is in charge of the adventure that isn't developed by Philips.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Agayek said:
The whole reveal kinda hints at it; Aunoma is talking about rethinking conventions, mentions giant monsters in a peaceful world and says in English (as if to draw attention to it) "that's one convention that won't change!" And then they go into the action scene.

The cloak flourish reveals the ponytail, and the character's figure is definitely feminine. Watch it in full screen HD:

http://youtu.be/VcYXX4TUK4I

She definitely has breasts, plus rosier cheeks and thicker eyelashes. It's a lady.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and Nintendo just bent everyone over their knee and spanked the ever living HELL out of them. Seriously, all they need to do is show 30 second of gameplay and the world LOSES it. Also interesting that Link wasn't shown with a sword.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Probably because after almost thirty years of getting kidnapped, people want to see a Zelda game where the titular character is in charge of the adventure that isn't developed by Philips.

That's what Hyrule Warriors is for

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Great! Now Ive got to borrow someones WiiU for a few weeks....or buy one, I suppose.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Looks vibrant and full of life. I'll enjoy this :)

wooty said:
Great! Now Ive got to borrow someones WiiU for a few weeks....or buy on, I suppose.
Buy one, you know you want to.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Hm I find it interresting that links not even carrying a sword. Maybe the bow will replace the master sword as links primary weapon, using different arrow types as substitutes for items.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
BLUE Link? 0/10. Don't need to see anymore, game already fails.

No but seriously, an open world Zelda game? that just sounds AWESOME! I mean, the old Zelda games weren't exactly strictly linear, you could still go around to different places and what not, you just unlocked them in a certain order. But this is full out open world, yee-haw!

Now get working on a Metroid game for the WiiU. Seriously. -_-
Open world Metroid...? :eek:

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Scribblesense said:
The whole reveal kinda hints at it; Aunoma is talking about rethinking conventions, mentions giant monsters in a peaceful world and says in English (as if to draw attention to it) "that's one convention that won't change!" And then they go into the action scene.

The cloak flourish reveals the ponytail, and the character's figure is definitely feminine. Watch it in full screen HD:

http://youtu.be/VcYXX4TUK4I

She definitely has breasts, plus rosier cheeks and thicker eyelashes. It's a lady.
I'm really not seeing the figure you're trying to say is there. I can't see any sign of breasts or anything of the sort.

As for the face, well, compare:

I can't see any appreciable differences that don't come down to the overall art style and graphical engine of each. At most, the new Link has a slightly thinner face, but it's hard to tell for sure with the way the lightning removes the definition along the jawline.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
It does look beautiful in motion. The screenshots fooled me into thinking the art style looked like one big bad mesh job. Loving the emphasis on free-world roaming, since that's the main thing I took away from old titles like Link to the Past. I'll be worried when it starts playing a lot like Skyrim, though, with multiple dungeons and chests guarded by big skeletons.

Oh, I'm not fooling myself. I'd still play that to completion.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Pedro The Hutt said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zelda Scrolls: Hyrule.

Looks seriously pretty, and I love Link's design.
That protagonist is right handed, and wears blue instead of green. Maybe, just maybe, we're playing Zelda in this game? I'd welcome it.
Or even better. A female Link. Lynk if you will.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Here, try this image:

Eyelashes are much thicker, the character designer's shorthand for "this is a female!"
Plus, she has a thin waist and wider hips. I can't not see a lady.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
A open world Zelda game? You mean the thing that the original Zelda did 29 years ago.

All joking aside I do kind of like the idea of a open world Zelda game, but for it to work I think they should add some kind of item map, that shows you the location of every mini game collectible and heart container.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Zelda Wii U is Open World, Coming 2015

The upcoming Zelda title for Wii U lets you tackle any area from any direction.

Read Full Article
Well, if you want me to Buy a WiiU, this is the way you do it. Im holding off until I see more, but the idea of not being forced down a single path intrigues me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oohla! My first reason to go current gen. Also the most positive nugget from E3 so far. Faith has been restored, father!

2015?...

Balls.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
All I know for certain is that there's possibility with this. Almost every Nintendo machine I've bought I've done so because I wanted to play the Zelda title for it. This is the first announced game that's made me consider getting a Wii U to any extent. BUT, I'll need more information to determine several key factors.

1. Will there be the option to play Link as a lefty? Call me a purist, but I've always kind of liked that he was a left handed hero pre-Wii. And mind you, I'm right handed.
2. Will it still FEEL like a Zelda game? I like open-world, but I play Zelda games specifically for the action-adventure puzzles. Don't get too much of your peanut butter in my chocolate.
3. Is it going to have the Link Between Worlds thing of doing dungeons in whatever order? I find that decision to be an odd and contrary one. After all, as you progress, the puzzles are supposed to get a bit more complex as they require using the items you've found in the previous dungeons, giving you greater satisfaction for figuring it all out. I've not played LBW, but knowing that that was a decision Nintendo made has made me even less interested.
4. Are they going to program a bunch of ridiculous stuff in related to the attempts at integrating social networking? If so, that'll DRASTICALLY reduce my interest.
5. Will I be able to play this game with my Gamecube controller via adapter?

Most of these questions will probably be answered when Yahtzee reviews this game. And I'm pretty sure he will, as the open-world thing alone means he can't just brush off all Zelda games as being the same. Until then, I can wait.