Zero Punctuation: Age of Conan

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
YES!

My only problem with WoW was that i had to be a nudist Warlock. Now i can be a nudist Necromancer?! Im going to buy this and make one in every skincolor available for each gender!

Actualy, i think the skincolors represent different races each with their own classes, but i can stil make one in each gender.

Sid Meier

Jul 2, 2008
Sayvara said:
So far I have counted the following "sins" in Age of Conan.

- Foul language.
- Gore. Bloodspatter is everywhere.
- More gore. Fataliaties are meticulously modeled variations on how to end someone's life hard, brutally, and - in some cases - extremely messilly.
- Unrination. Yes, NPC's can be seen taking a piss.
- Prostitution, and plenty of it.
- Slavery.
- Alcohol.
- Drug use/drug addiction.
- Human sacrifice.
- Homosexuality, male and female.

So no... the Big Nerd is not here.

/S
Where do I sign up?

Sid Meier

Jul 2, 2008
Chromed said:
After this i'm really waiting for a good smackdown of EVE from Yahtzee. Or a loving. I don't know... Would be interesting to see nonetheless.

AoC was a very strange experience... It was trying to make the gameplay into something it's not, and that wore me out after just a week or 2 of casual (!) play. WoW is simply better at it, it doesn't try to hide it.
There's nothing wrong with EVE-Online aside from a purely technical perspective that mankind hasnt evolved a good enough internet yet to have the 2000+ ship battles to resolve with crashing whole nodes beyond that everything about EVE was deliberately designed to be like it is. EVE is not a game for WoW players who think there shouldn't be any cost to dying and that everyone should be nice to them.

EVE is a harsh social darwinist experiment where the people who smacktalk you can also kill you and steal everything you worked hard for, survival of the fittest or survival of who has the largest gang of people online at the time. The way it is meant to be played if people don't like it they can quit.

SerFroggy

Jun 4, 2008
You know, there were other classes, which had more things put into them.The ranged attacks were pretty innovative, the fighting system was a little more interactive than most MMORPGers, but it is true that every MMORPG is trying to be World of Warcraft.

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
ronscoe said:
You know, there were other classes, which had more things put into them.The ranged attacks were pretty innovative, the fighting system was a little more interactive than most MMORPGers, but it is true that every MMORPG is trying to be World of Warcraft.
maybe they are trying to be as sucessful as wow but they are not trying to be like it

Sid Meier

Jul 2, 2008
I would state that while everything WoW has done has been done before it by EQ and lineage WoW refined them into crack cocaine for "everyone". I played WoW on and off enough for it to transform my standards "is this game different from WoW? If so is it different enough to be worth playing?" To my mind only EVE Online succeeds at this, with LoTR Online and DDO but only because of niche reasons, LOTRO lets me play with a musical instrument like in Zelda Orcerina of time and DDO has enough of the Dungeons and Dragons immersion on "hardest" difficulty.

If I had the money and the time I would play them instead of wow but because I don't I play EVE, I'll try out Age of Conan and Warhammer Online but in reality Im only looking forward to Stargate Worlds to suceed where Tabula Rasa failed.

HalHal

Jul 24, 2008
I gotta agree on that in pretty much every RPG and MMORPG games there is a "Create your person in 1001 ways" yet most of it is just usless..

and i couldnt help but feeling when thos "Modern" RPGs laughted Baldurs Gate out. that Buldurs Gate kick all of their arses. And that Super Tech Custumization doesnt make a RPG good

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Sid Meier said:
I would state that while everything WoW has done has been done before it by EQ and lineage WoW refined them into crack cocaine for "everyone". I played WoW on and off enough for it to transform my standards "is this game different from WoW? If so is it different enough to be worth playing?" To my mind only EVE Online succeeds at this, with LoTR Online and DDO but only because of niche reasons, LOTRO lets me play with a musical instrument like in Zelda Orcerina of time and DDO has enough of the Dungeons and Dragons immersion on "hardest" difficulty.

If I had the money and the time I would play them instead of wow but because I don't I play EVE, I'll try out Age of Conan and Warhammer Online but in reality Im only looking forward to Stargate Worlds to suceed where Tabula Rasa failed.
waaait....you're not Sid Meier (I jest of course)

Um, what was I going to say? Oh yeah!

I'm not really an MMO player, never mind MMORPG, and the only MMO i actually sat down and played (and paid) for was City of Heroes, but that got old fast for me. However I know how addicting WoW can be, as a buddy of mine had an account and had me sit down and play it. the first ten minutes as one of those giant bull animal things i was at level ten and had to be pried away from the machine less I would be stuck there forever

I don't what it is, subliminal influences through the colors and text in the game? the game somehow taking over your mind by harnessing the monitors refresh rate and hypnotizing you somehow, I don't know, but if this sort of power got into the wrong hands... just imagine the ramifications.

ZanderArch

May 25, 2008
The new intro/outro are good, but the old ones were better. The music picked specifically for the game worked better than the generic rock style it is now.

The World of Warcraft talk doesn't seem right, the way it was described means pretty much all genres are coping the best one in them.

Good review, wasn't going to get this game anyway. I'm firmly against Pay to Play, and this just polished the tomb stone on it.

PS: Solid Snake's Eye patch was on the wrong side =/

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008

- Foul language.
- More gore. Fataliaties are meticulously modeled variations on how to end someone's life hard, brutally, and - in some cases - extremely messilly.
- Slavery.
- Alcohol.
- Human sacrifice.
Nice!!! Are there any fully naked ladies (and no, I do not consider them naked unless you can see any body part you want with no clothing infront of their sexual areas, they're not nude if they're in a bikini. )

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Since when is slavery a sin? I think at some point int he old testimate it states that you can sell one of your daughters into slavery. I think it had to be the eldest or something.

Urination isnt an interesting addition unless your character can do it.

Homosexuality? Thats par for the course.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
ronscoe said:
From what I have read, the interactive part of melee involved attacking on the right, left, or down the middle, and the opponant could do the same defending. More emphasis on "little"...

j_meister

Jul 20, 2008
Hey Jerkwad!

Review Eve! I know it's one of the Escapist's sponsors, but it's criminal that you compare all mmorpgs to the poor piss-stain of a game that is World of Warcraft.
I'd be fist-shakingly mad if you gave it a bad review, but are you going to let that stop you?
Most likely not! Be a man! Review the damned game!

Yours, in respectful admiration,
J.S.

devilishlydo

Jul 17, 2008
j_meister said:
Hey Jerkwad!

Review Eve! I know it's one of the Escapist's sponsors, but it's criminal that you compare all mmorpgs to the poor piss-stain of a game that is World of Warcraft.
I'd be fist-shakingly mad if you gave it a bad review, but are you going to let that stop you?
Most likely not! Be a man! Review the damned game!

Yours, in respectful admiration,
J.S.
Yeah, that'd be great. Spend a few DAYS playing a game with a learning curve made of lost souls and a gap between "noob" and "leet" that is wider than the gap between "Earth" and "The Fucking Sun". I'm sure it would be a very well-informed review.

However, I must say that Yahtzee figured out what AoC was all about a lot faster than I did ... much to my chagrin. I really wanted to like it, too ... but it took me 70some levels to realize that I didn't.

danaird

Jun 23, 2008
I don't wet myself laughing over these much anymore. It seems as the episodes have passed the sound of Yahtzee's voice has become more and more obnoxious... and the intro music is so ridiculously out of context for this type of video that it makes me want to climb the nearest clock tower with an RPD.

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
danaird said:
I don't wet myself laughing over these much anymore. It seems as the episodes have passed the sound of Yahtzee's voice has become more and more obnoxious... and the intro music is so ridiculously out of context for this type of video that it makes me want to climb the nearest clock tower with an RPD.
whats an rpd?

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
ronscoe said:
From what I have read, the interactive part of melee involved attacking on the right, left, or down the middle, and the opponant could do the same defending. More emphasis on "little"...
It is more complex than hit right/centre/left, special attacks require sequential key presses to fire off. Plus as you level you have to attack in more than three directions to fire combos. As I said above it's still button mashing but it is more involving than fire and forget spells/moves.

Gift.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Selvec said:
I have to be honest here. I do NOT agree with this review. I'm usually pretty in sync with the opinions given by Yahtzee, typically agree with a lot. But one point here annoys me.

You complain about the lack of "RPG" in MMORPG, but when a MMORPG actually attempts to make the world back into an "RPG", you complain about it. The dialog is part of the immersion. Its part of what "Role Playing" is all about. You play the role, you interact as that role, you don't click accept to agree with some random NPC's request to go hump an X number of monsters. WOW is not an MMORPG. It's an MMO, people seem to have forgotten what the "RPG" part actually is, because WOW lacks it in barrel full's.

In other points, I do agree that an MMORPG should be a team based thing. Purhaps a story based around a war, where you are training to be part of the force that answers this problem. Instead of one hero, why not a force of them. The story is probably wrong and I agree with this very much.

As far as AOC goes, you can't compare it to WOW at this point. WOW has had more then a fair amount of time to fix its issues with patchs. AOC just got started. Give it some time to fix up, and it'll be on the same track. WOW was once a buggy piece of garbage to, or perhaps people have forgotten what falling into mountains and off the world was like.

Possiably should have waited a little longer to review this game and gone with something else.
In relation to the RP in MMO's...I was always under the impression that this came from your interactions with the other players themselves. i.e. Actually doing the work yourself? Like taking the time to actually looking up what backstory of the setting can be found and applying it in such a way that isn't going to look massively implausable such as being a mighty gnomish conquerer and leader of the known world, with no IC way of actually backing this up. Unless you're deliberately RP'ing a mental patient. The game world is just the setting, how much interaction and immersion you want in the game is entirely up to -you-. Although, maybe a little more support for the RP servers in WoW and other mmmos wouldn't be a bad thing. As it stands, many consist of little more than a few guilds worth of genuine RP'ers with a lot of others who come for the more 'mature' environment without any interest in RP themselves, this is mostly prevalent on the RP/PvP style servers it seems.

Having played AoC for a bit, I got the distinct impression from all the dialogue trees and just the general effort that went into the city of Tortage and surroundings, that, if they had wanted to, they could have made a damn good -single player- RPG, rather than the resulting MMO.

yourkie1921 said:

- Foul language.
- Slavery.
- Alcohol.
- Human sacrifice.
Nice!!! Are there any fully naked ladies (and no, I do not consider them naked unless you can see any body part you want with no clothing infront of their sexual areas, they're not nude if they're in a bikini. )
Full frontal, except the genital areas on both males and females which are covered with a kind of loincloth thing. If they had 1000% nudity, I'm sure the game would have gotten an AO rather than the 18+ it get's most places.

Feb 13, 2008
GothmogII said:
Full frontal, except the genital areas on both males and females which are covered with a kind of loincloth thing.
So, topless then. The sort of thing you see in most national newspapers.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
GothmogII said:
Full frontal, except the genital areas on both males and females which are covered with a kind of loincloth thing.
So, topless then. The sort of thing you see in most national newspapers.
Pretty much, yup.