Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Sounds like yahtzee has a cold. A fair enoguh review but Im surprised he didnt mention that the game is totally and completely beautiful. Ya the gameplay is a little bit on the bad side, but its really really nice looking.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?
Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll in mid air (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing he either got a sore throat or his microphone is broken in some way. Regardless good review, so does the HD version still got the flaws like the control or did they fix it?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
That laugh at the end was retardedly, creepily, funny. Even if it made him sound kind of like Nigel Thornberry.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
OhJohnNo said:
Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?
Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.
I dunno, that sounds crazy enough to work.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

C'mon McGee!

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Yeah, thought he sounded a little ill. Hope it's not too bad.

That laugh at the end over the incredibly lame pun really made the review for me :)
Agreed. I actually, honest to god, covered my screen in ice cream from that.

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
i remember he sounded like this in his God of War 3 review and possibly in some others. Maybe he's got a cold or his allegies are flaring up or something.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I didn't think he had a cold. I thought that voice was on purpose; he sounded bored to me. Since he said the game was boring, I thought that was done on purpose. Get well soon, I guess?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sketchy said:
Genixma said:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.
That'd be the winter cold... He's in Australia, it's winter here... And at least where I'm from, EVERYONE has this cold.
It's not winter, it's just an upside down summer. >.>

It sounds more like a different mic. Though we go through this every time he sounds even remotely different.

I'd comment on American Pie's Return of the Funk, but I'm not sure what to say. Seems like a good idea butchered.

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
TheNaut131 said:
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

Jesus McGee!
I'm guessing they were planning on making those boss encounters but they probably ran out of funding or time.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Macrobstar said:
Soveru said:
Its his job to hate everything
Not really ots his jobs to give his opinion in a comical way, it just so happens he dislikes a lot of games, also for those saying he sounds differant, he just has a cold its happened before
Not sure if you've already been corrected, but ahem.

Critic: "one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique; one given to harsh or captious judgment"

As Yahtzee is a "video game critic", it is technically his job to observe and point out the flaws that games have, and otherwise laud exceptional changes to the monotonous clones or just plain poor-quality or poorly executed games that get pumped out. So while the person you quoted was not entirely correct, he was technically more correct than you, sir or ma'am.

If Yahtzee "just so happen[ed] to dislike a lot of games", he would not have this job to begin with.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
latenightapplepie said:
The best ZP in a while. The final "mad returns" joke was very good.
Really? I felt it seemed a bit flat... end credit joke aside.

To be fair, crappy voice (everyone says cold since it's frozen over in Oz) didn't help.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
Out of all the reviewers/critics/whatever who reviewed this game I think Yahtzee pointed out the the real flaws the game had. Especially the one with the lack of bosses. That and I'm glad he said the last one of average too since I found it weird how the American Mcgee's Alice had a higher review score than this despite it having way more problems than this one.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I heard that the new one wasn't very good, and I believe the reviews, but honestly, the original Alice game was one of my favorite games back in the day. I thought the art style was awesome, the puzzles intriguing, and the story fun. May have to grab this game when it drops drastically in price just to see. After all, for all of Yahtzees lambasting, he actually said a few positive things. A game that Yahtzee gives even a single positive point will generally be somewhat decent.