Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
is it a cold he's got? I hope it wasn't him diddling with his recording equipment again, because it's hard to take in what he's saying when it doesn't sound like... him. Although I have to say, it made his sort of pathetic chuckle in the end more pathetic-sounding, and therefore funnier.

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
Yahtzee really really likes Human Centipede, doesn't he. He's referred to it somehow in pretty much every other video this year. This is something he should address at some point, I think.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Coming down with something again, are we, comrade Yahtzee? Get well soon.

Also surprised you didn't stab Disney's Alice. I was sitting through everything expecting a Schadenfreude-tastic torturing of the aforementioned property.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
The game was oddly hollow by the end. I mean, I enjoyed it. It was incredibly beautiful... but there was just not enough substance in the gameplay. It is unfortunate really, because the combat was decently well nuanced, and the quadruple jump made for some impressive motion dynamics.

But then you spend the entire game just jumping around hitting levers, and shrinking through key holes. Good mechanics... terrible level design.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Just to add what Yahtzee didn't - The PC version doesn't come with the remake, unless you're one of the people who doesn't mind buying from the EA StoreOrigin AND you live in the US. Yes, that's right, only one portion of the market has access to the remake, and the original at a semi-decent price is like trying to find a needle in a great big pile of turds.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
God, I'm surprised how many people comment about Yahtzee's voice. He's not and immortal robot entertainer, there are colds in Australia.

And I really wanted this game to be good, but the moment Wonderland becomes about combat it's just not really Wonderland. I wonder if any of these adaptations would even exist if not for the Vorpal Blade.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Nimcha said:
Who the hell plays this game on a console anyway? On the PC it looks so fantastic none of these complaints even matter anymore.
People who prefer consoles? Or people who want the 2 game bundle?

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee on one thing. The story could've been directly tied to the levels, informing each other. For Chapters 1-4, they do lead into each other,
like Alice drowning then ending up under the sea in Chapter 2, or visiting Radcliffe's house where his like for oriental work leads into the Chinese/Japanese mix of porcelain and samurais. But it's when Chapter 5's Dollhouse comes around, does it inform the real-world story of what is occurring with the orphans' minds,
where Yahtzee missed the point of creepy dolls being redundant. The villain's goals are now clear and how it ties to the orphans in the house.
The orphans lose their personality with the process of forgetting memories, hence becoming dolls, and the architecture also hints sexual abuse of the orphans to foreshadow the reveal that they're being sold into pedophile sex slavery.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg580/scaled.php?server=580&filename=c36020110701102304.jpg&res=medium
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/27166010150231917561896.jpg/]

This chapter is where the creepy imagery is warranted instead of feeling forced. Once you finish the game on such a strong note of interactive storytelling, I could forgive the rest of the chapters feeling more videogame-y.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Genixma said:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.
You do realize it's Winter in Australia, right?

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Aww...too bad...It sounded like such great-hey! Wait a minute, when did Yahtzee get a new microphone?

(Yeah, I know. I could've made the usual "he had a cold" joke, but I'm pretty sure it's been killed a few posts back and I'm currently sleep deprived, which means expecting humor from me is like expecting My Little Pony content from horses. Take that any way you want.)

ADeskofRichMahogany

Jan 4, 2010
I played through this game and really enjoyed it (except the end boss fight. That was too easy...).

I agree with most of the review. I was really looking forward to boss fights at the end of every chapter, and so I was disappointed at the end of every chapter when there was no boss. The gameplay is really prolonged and combat gets boring fairly quickly (unless you purposely do stupid things like I did).

Also, if you want the bundle, make sure you don't buy it on Steam, because that doesn't count.