Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Never noticed the end credit jokes till my girlfriend pointed it out. Currently going through the older episodes to find more.

Ot: I really, really enjoyed the game. I found it fun and really enjoyed the combat. I didn't mind the fact that there really were no bosses until the last one. Would have of enjoyed having to actually take on some of the characters. I mean, take the final encounter with the Hare and the Door mouse, could have been a fantastic end of chapter boss fight I got really pumped up and was like "Oh, finally, a boss fight" and it ended as just one big flop.

Ok, I lied, I do think their should have been bosses in the game. Even if they were just end of chapter bosses. It would have of been better then what we got.

When it comes to the platforming, again, I kinda agree with what he is saying here. The massive jump range is silly and spreads the game out too thinly. A bit like trying to spread the last drop of jam over a massive slice of toast. XD

I didn't see any problem with the enemies in the game, the enemies in the game seemed to vary between chapters and the only ones that seemed to be the same across all chapters where the "ruins".

Over all, I really liked the game. Sadly I don't see any replay value. Just glad I got it on steam and not what ever shit that EA has put out on the market.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Oh.My.God. Yahtzee has been replaced with a gruff voiced british game protagonist!

Jokes aside, Get well soon man.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
it seems like every few months yahtzees voice changes in a subtle but noticeable way, and just i get used to it, it changes again

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
Sounds like he bought his old voice back.

Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?
No, it's actually more of a 3 jump.
JasonBurnout16 said:
On the other note, can really not decide if I should rent this game or not. It sounds interesting though. Hmm.
Well the scenery is beautiful in the majority of levels, but some do drag on wayyyyy too long (I'm looking at you dollhouse), but if you don't mind long levels too much I suggest renting it to show support that art games can actually exist in this industry dominated by boring cloned shooters.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Alice: Madness Returns

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews American McGee's sequel adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now with more creepy baby doll heads!

Watch Video
By the sound of your review, you had to force your way through this game's boringness and just had nothing really exciting to say about it. Am I right?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
All I could think through this video was "Who are you, and what have you done to yahtzee?"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed playing the game,but it got very dreary and repetitive towards the end.

I thought those dollhouse levels would never end.

I had a few laughs at this video,especially the wannabe pun at the end,hilarious! :D

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.
It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Genixma said:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.
Australia =P

OT: I've been weighing whether i should buy this or not. Seems like the problem of sameyness is brought up a lot so i probably won't.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Shame about Yahtzee's voice, even though assuming it is a cold it isn't his fault, otherwise mostly good review. A slight error though, the real Alice wasn't a teenager when the author knew her, she was more like 7 to 11 so yeah... 0.o

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I enjoyed the game, but I can't say his criticisms aren't accurate. I would, however, like to point out that the quadruple-jump doesn't actually make the game super-easy. It's easier than the first one, but the first one was only hard because it was broken (it was an action platformer with TPS controls, you can imagine how that went). The original did, however, feature a lot more little interesting flourishes in the level design. Also, I kind of like the mini games and I'm surprised he didn't at least make a joke about the one where you play as a baby-doll head rolling through a machine, although my favorite was the 2D platformer inside a Chinese scroll painting.