Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
shadowmagus said:
This person tried to sound like Yahtzee, but it's as if certain inflections were different. Return our Yahtzee alien scum. We are gamers and we have a long and storied history of knowing how to blast your kind back into space.
Dude it's Yahtzee, just with added cold or flu. Look back at the first review and the Assassins Creed 2 one and he sounds the same. Remember that its winter in Australia and around half the population has a cold, myself included.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.
Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Warforger said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.
It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.
I think it sounds more like he did in his very first videos.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I agree that's its really pretentious, but when i saw the game actually being played, it wasn't as bad as i expected.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
The lack of enthusiasm and energy in his laugh at the end was hilarious!

Didn't think much of the review though, but that tends to him with his reviews of games I haven't played.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I just got new speakers today and this was the first thing i listened to on them. I seriously thought I was going to have to take them back lol. Good to know its not just me.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Wow, I didn't know you turn into a proper gentleman when you have a cold, Yahtzee. XD

I never did understood what's the big deal with American McGee's games anyway. Bizarre and dark is good and all, for they make interesting eye catcher, but only relying on bizarre visuals and dark storylines could only carry your games just far enough for the gameplay to take over. And if the gameplay fails to capture the attention of the gamer after receiving that pass from the visual and storyline hurdles, well, it just won't work.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.
Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?
thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.
I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

Hypersapien

Nov 14, 2007
He sounds like he did in the very first ZP episodes. Honestly, I liked it better before he got all rage-filled and just had more deadpan sarcasm. I hope he stays with this.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
I have to agree about hammering the "creepy doll face" theme into the ground. The large number of enemies designed around that were just... dull. And they show up in practically every level (some of which seem much longer than necessary).

One thing that surprisingly wasn't really mentioned were the minigames, which were probably the most jarring, immersion-killing minis I've ever played. There's a point where the Mock Turtle's ship dives underwater, and it starts a sidescrolling game that, I swear, would not be out of place in an old Donkey Kong game. It was ridiculous. I ran into a bug at one point where a switch had no effect, but it resolved itself on the next try.

On the plus side, I actually really enjoyed some of the concept artish cut scenes. And some of the individual level designs were really lovely at first, like the theater or the faux Asian level. The controls were good, the target lock system was awful. Hell of a lot more plot than most new games, say what you will. Overall pretty enjoyable.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.
I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.
Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.
*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
Loved the original even with the crappy pc controls and sequel solid! The game is not about boss fights ...obviously since there are none. Its about story! Though boss fights be a good DLC add-on!

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.
*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.
Ah ah ah, don't you even dare start that slippery slope. I thought the "game" itself was mediocre and that the old one was far more imaginative. By the time i was nearing the end of the game I was completely rushing it because i was completely out of damns to give. Just because I praise a part of teh game you obvoiusly lack skill at doesn't mean I'm defending the game in a whole.

Thats literally like me saying your completely bullheaded about the "sluggishness" of the control only because you love yahtzee so much and will do whatever to agree with him. Every review of this game I've come across praises unanimously the absolute responsiveness and streamline perfection that ARE the controls. And i will absolutely agree. I still think you have no gaming skills.
Who knows? maybe my friend just had a messed up version or had turned the sensitivity down and i apologies for misinterpreting your overall opinion of the game. As to always agreeing with yahtzee i do recall disagreeing with most of his complaints regarding the mass effect series. And while it is true that i have never gotten past the second boss in Demon's souls I am still satisfied with my skill level.