Zero Punctuation: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Jason Bligh-Wall

Nov 22, 2012
My favourite glitch was when I was fighting the mother alien in the mecha suit and I got taken down, while inside the suit. So I could still control the suit while having my feet cosily rested up against the windscreen.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
That glitch with the boss fight sounded like a royal pain in the ass. With the animation with the face bashing it also looked painful... probably the best part of the video.

Master Kramer

Sep 7, 2011
My favourite glitch was when an alien somehow broke through a wall and disappeared in a different blue wall

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Well, since you asked, the biggest glitch I came across was in that damn Raven boss fight when the boss glitched through a wall and disappeared like the power loader was being piloted by Vanellope Von Shweetz, leaving me to fight endless xenomorphs until I reloaded the last checkpoint.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Thank you for the MASSIVE Spoiler-warning in the middle of the review about Hicks. Oh, wait. THERE WAS NONE!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I bet it would've really sucked to have been the guy who kept getting revived only to get smacked back down again. Must've thought he was in hell or something.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Not a glitch per se but I just love the Aliens animation in this game.
They move nothing like how the Aliens move in the films. They sort of shuffle around like a pensioner in slippers and on some terrible ecstasy.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks, that the bar in video game industry is now so low, that we allow such atrocities to be released? The worst thing about it is, that such disasters gain more media attention, that it distracts everyone from things that actually are good, thereby these publishers/developers get a free ride, and still cash in on the dross they put out in the market by the way of preorders. They must be punished.

Vergilthenew

Aug 17, 2012
Aw. I thought this was going to be the new Metal Gear. Well I just have to wait untill next week (I think) before he talks about how terrible my current game of the year is.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
I love how the arabic text at the end is just a bunch of arabic letters strung together without even being properly attached to make words. That pretty much sums up this game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Ah, I was so looking forward to this one Yahtzee to tear this game a new one and you did so well. I am a happy camper.

The only glitch I got was O'Neal blocking the door in a mission where I had to go report to the high ranking officer after defending the base.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Ah how I loved this episode.
I knew it was going to end in shit, but it would of be damn funny if he told us it was good at the start and told us he faked it half way through.

This was still funny though.
What is up on the chopping block for next week?
Crysis 2.5?
Metal Gear Rising: revengence.
Tomb butt Raider?

Well I haven't played any of them ... I just like making funny names.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
It's funny how Yahtzee comes across as being more professional in his critique than Jim Sterling or others. Maybe it's because he expects games to be bad and so is only surprised when they're good.

He's right about the series going down hill but I'd have to say that Aliens 3 (where they introduced Xenomorphs that develop differently depending on the species they gestate inside) was up there with the first two movies.

Cliff dive after that, though.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
My favorite glitch was the one that caused the game to revert back to a build from around 2005 just as the game was going gold.

stueymon

Aug 29, 2009
The best glitch is when I saw a Mammoth casually floating over a Hagravens house!

They don't even have those in Aliens! crazy!

Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
I don't care about the Hicks spoiler but I went ahead and read the plot summary to figure out how that happens and it's quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Copper Zen said:
It's funny how Yahtzee comes across as being more professional in his critique than Jim Sterling or others. Maybe it's because he expects games to be bad and so is only surprised when they're good.

He's right about the series going down hill but I'd have to say that Aliens 3 (where they introduced Xenomorphs that develop differently depending on the species they gestate inside) was up there with the first two movies.

Cliff dive after that, though.
It would have been a lot better received if they hadn't used such a bullshit twist to connect it with Aliens. Just leave Ripely alone!

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
aeric90 said:
I don't care about the Hicks spoiler but I went ahead and read the plot summary to figure out how that happens and it's quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
"It was just some other guy."

Couldn't be bothered to even try.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I was beginning to suspect the backlash against A:CM was disproportionate. Apparently I was wrong.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm not sure you can "spoil" something that was rotten when it was put on the shelf, so to speak...

Anyway, thanks for another entertaining review, Yahtzee; the image of the marines outnumbering the aliens was a particularly enjoyable one.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
My favorite glitch was when my primary weapon turned invisible, the ammo counter turned to 999 > 0 (But could not be fired), and could not be swapped out. Deleting the save and making a new one didn't fix it. Reinstalling the game didn't fix it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
My favorite glitch was when I looked at the back of the box that my brother bought and I saw Bethesda included in the names of developers that made this game.

That and the marines who occasionally walked on their heads. (that is to say, they were upside down)

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
That glitch Yahtzee mentioned where the big xenomorph kept killing the same soldier over and over again? I think I know exactly what he's talking about.

<youtube=xc4ArT8FMIc>

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
When Yahtzee let slip that he was doing this one in his column, I was concerned it was going to be too easy. Everyone has been down on this game, so for Yahtzee to do it would be like picking on a retarded kid or shoot fish in a barrel or shooting retarded fish on a barrel. This was alleviated when he acknowledge as much.

Personally, I don't know why anyone was at all interested in playing this game. The demo aside, when was the last thing that was worth damn with the Alien brand slapped upon it came out?

I'll tell you, it was 1986 when Aliens first came out. Nothing else since has been worth a damn and a half, and this included the special edition director's cuts of the first two film. Fuck you, James Cameron. The movie worked better without Ripley having a dead daughter.

Expecting anything good to come out of it at this point is just dumb. Even that demo that Jim Sterling walked us through a few weeks ago. What did that show? It was just Aliens again. So it was just aping a quarter-century old movie that is older than a lot of you spods. Why play the game when you could just watch the movie? Even if the game was good, it wasn't going to be more than that.

I tell you, I am shocked by the dogged attachment to brand recognition that the current market hold onto white-knuckled. But I am depressed at how right it is for developers and publishers to do it. I actually watched the review of the new Tomb Raider based on brand recognition alone and I never played the original games. Seriously. It's just sad when even someone like me who points out this failing in others also has that same failing. Human nature is shit, apparently.

Flatron W2241S

Nov 13, 2012
aeric90 said:
Serious note: Aliens Vs Predator 2 is the best Alien themed game I've played. what about you?
Aliens Vs Predator 1 is my favorite in this category. Playing as a marine was especially entertaining, the aliens were fragile but you're dead if they reach you so you had to be on your toes and spray those alien bastards as quickly as possible. Playing as an alien was also fun, you had to sneak up on your enemies or you'd be dead. Nice use of lighting also, if you blasted grenades like a dumb-ass, the lights would break and you'd have to fight in the dark. As an alien you could smash the lights to create cover for yourself so you could chow down on some marine head.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
the antithesis said:
Personally, I don't know why anyone was at all interested in playing this game. The demo aside, when was the last thing that was worth damn with the Alien brand slapped upon it came out?
That's just it, though, it was ALL about the demo. The demo showed people an Aliens game that actually looked like it could be good, that it captured the spirit and feel that made the movie good. The demo was both the game's source of hype and the cause of the game's utter failure when the delivered product didn't even come close.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
1. I hope this crushes Gearbox, they have no integrity.
2. I hope this ends people preordering games, it just encourages assholes like Gearbox to make cash grab games.
3. I hope Yahtzee starts to review good games, constantly reviewing bad games is cute and funny but its like shooting fish in a barrel.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I certainly agree about the glitch part and also the part about the boss battle. This game is not only glitchy, it's also extremely unpolished.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
serious biscuit said:
All I took away from this is that we need a Blues Brothers game.
Well... we already have. For the SNES. Haven't played it myself, but a little bird whispered in my ear that it is quite bad.

Anyway, really good review, I thought. I haven't played Aliens: Colonial Marines myself (not a fan of Aliens, sorry), and this review further cemented my adamant resolution to not go within 20 yards from this game if I can avoid it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Bindal said:
Thank you for the MASSIVE Spoiler-warning in the middle of the review about Hicks. Oh, wait. THERE WAS NONE!
You are welcome.
Unless you actually paid for this thing, in which case... You had it coming.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
General Vengeance said:
2. I hope this ends people preordering games, it just encourages assholes like Gearbox to make cash grab games.
3. I hope Yahtzee starts to review good games, constantly reviewing bad games is cute and funny but its like shooting fish in a barrel.
1. One of the more customer friendly companies has no integrity because of one bad game?

2. Pre-ordering is good in several situations. It's less an issue about pre-orders and more about companies phoning in their product.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
RJ 17 said:
the antithesis said:
That's just it, though, it was ALL about the demo. The demo showed people an Aliens game that actually looked like it could be good, that it captured the spirit and feel that made the movie good. The demo was both the game's source of hype and the cause of the game's utter failure when the delivered product didn't even come close.
Why would you pre order a new IP based on one demo like that? Especially if the demo's appeal is atmosphere: Which is incredibly easy to break.

General Vengeance said:
I don't see an issue in preordering a game if the bonus is good and you have reason to trust the content....A licensed game from company that released duke nukem forever. The pre order bonus for aliens was fucking multiplayer skins if I recall.

You should treat preorders as if you're giving out loans: If you're not getting interest there's no reason to give it to anyone you don't know personally and if you have no good reason to think they're capable of paying you back you might as well burn it. Preordering aliens was like giving a random redneck a billion dollars to open a multinational pig fucking chain and if he manages to pay you back you get a nickel interest.

I trust bioshock infinite to not suck, so if I had the money I'd pre-order it off greenman and save $15. Why wouldn't I?

I'm pretty sure yahtzee decides what to review before deciding if it's bad. Like: Dead Space 3, Ni No Kuni, The Cave, the new DMC were the four before that. Are any of those really considered bad games? Fuck it seems like everyone loves Ni No Kuni.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
General Vengeance said:
1. One of the more customer friendly companies has no integrity because of one bad game?

2. Pre-ordering is good in several situations. It's less an issue about pre-orders and more about companies phoning in their product.
1. DNF. And they apparently transferred this game off to another studio while putting it in their name. They don't have no integrity becasue the game is bad: They have no integrity because they let another company make (or at least finish) a bad game in their name. Also they had NDA's set up so no one could put reviews up before it came out. They knew it was shit and tried to cover it up.
2. Name one that's not Bioshock infinite

Pre-ordering in it's current form is absolute shit because companies seem to think it's ok to put an insignificant cosmetic in and say " that's enough reason to give us $60 ahead of time for no reason right?

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Yahtzee is self-aware. Who knew?

I have to agree with the "betrayal" part. People were complaining about this game being the last bastion of hope. But were you really surprised? Maybe by the fact of who was developing the game, but were you really surprised by the fact that an Aliens game wasn't good?

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
General Vengeance said:

2 really bad games promised to be awesome. Lies both games complete lies using Sega's money to fund borderlands 2 and outsourcing the game they were paid for to another company that's breach of contract.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Mine is not so much a glitch but just a complaint about how godawful the multiplayer turned out. A good friend of mine and I were awaiting this game with the anticipation that this was going to be something akin to L4D but with one of our favorite franchise monsters replacing zombies...., and boy was I wrong. Like a dumbass I pre-ordered the game and paid it in full, and like an even bigger dumbass plopped it in my x-box hoping maybe the multiplayer was something salvageable despite my friend telling me he was probably jumping ship due to all the terrible reviews plaguing the internets (and yes I envy him for being smarter and not wasting 60 dollars). So as most of you have experienced, I was still trying to convince myself after a match of extreme chaos ensued. Kill animations that should be awesome but look like the marine floated to me and died due to graphic glitch, suddenly dying after having no discernible animation or sound that I am being hurt, and most frustrating of all unloading a full shotgun blast/special attack into an opposing player and them laughing at me and killing me in one blow because of one of the most terrible leveling systems that give unbalanced a whole new definition of pain and agony. So now my moral dilemma is what should we do with this ungodly monstrosity some of us were unfortunate and, for myself at least, stupid enough to stumble upon? I was thinking shooting range, or if we want the subtle route maybe a coaster for drinks, or if we want to get inventive and a little extravagant maybe we can remake Aliens using copies of the game as replacements for the aliens.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Alien vs Predator 2 was an amazing game. I know you played it, so stop talking about ships and spices.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
piclemaniscool said:
Yahtzee is self-aware. Who knew?

I have to agree with the "betrayal" part. People were complaining about this game being the last bastion of hope. But were you really surprised? Maybe by the fact of who was developing the game, but were you really surprised by the fact that an Aliens game wasn't good?
I thought that was just an accepted fact in the gaming world by now. You know, like "Final Fantasy games drag on for too long", "Call of Duty is racist", and "BioWare games have good writing".

I suppose after the hype around the stage demo for this, and back with the pre-rendered trailer for Dead Island we've moved to a point where playable demos soon are the only way to make gamers trust your product. So perhaps something good came out of all this after all.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
You are welcome.
Sorry but here, I am peed off out of princible. If Yathzee reveals such a huge part of the plot (and pretty big twist in the canon), then yes, I expect a freaking spoiler warning. It doesn't matter how good or bad the game is - it is still wrong to do.

geier said:
One bad game ?
Have you allready forgotten THE DUKE ?
Hardly their game - they just did about 10% of it as the game when they got it was more or less finished. You can't blame them for that.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
stueymon said:
I'm with you there. I think one of my favorite parts to this review was his summation of the Hicks retcon "It was some other bloke." It's not even really a joke, that is the explanation the game gives.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
General Vengeance said:
The following is a massive amount of sarcasm:

Ya lets just make a whole bunch of people lose their jobs because of decisions made that are way above them! Who cares if they need the job to feed their families, their bosses lied to us!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TWEWYFan said:
stueymon said:
I'm with you there. I think one of my favorite parts to this review was his summation of the Hicks retcon "It was some other bloke." It's not even really a joke, that is the explanation the game gives.
Actually, the game says "long story". Who knows, maybe we would have gotten a more detailed explaination in DLC or a sequel.

Sabin Felea

Jan 30, 2013
This was SOO worth it! And it includes a shout-out to the AWESOME correspondents that have been barely containing their excitement since the game was launched and heard it was sh*t :D

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Bindal said:
TWEWYFan said:
stueymon said:
Actually, the game says "long story". Who knows, maybe we would have gotten a more detailed explaination in DLC or a sequel.
Well that was to explain why it was some other guy; which to my knowledge is still little more than a hand-wave. Now I wasn't as bothered by this retcon as some other people were, I just they'd explained it more in-game.

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
I wondered if you could be bothered to play this game, but seeing how short it is, it probably saved you a lot of time that week!

My favourite bug:
Had to go after the two woman, for whatever reason it was giving, and after walking 10 meters down the path they had taken, I saw them both standing round the corner! XD It's times like these I wish you could talk in the games.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
General Vengeance said:
Sadly if you watched Jim's newest vid you would know that people are already pre ordering launch titles for the PS4 with only the smallest of an idea of what the game play is gonna be like.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
sushkis2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks, that the bar in video game industry is now so low, that we allow such atrocities to be released? The worst thing about it is, that such disasters gain more media attention, that it distracts everyone from things that actually are good, thereby these publishers/developers get a free ride, and still cash in on the dross they put out in the market by the way of preorders. They must be punished.
There is one way to punish.

DO......NOT.... PARTICIPATE!

Totalbiscuit has a great video up on Youtube explaining this:

<youtube=mf5Uj4XIT1Y>

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Don't forget to blame SEGA, they're the biggest bastards in this entire story. They LET Gearbox jerk them around for 6 years, and then when they were handed this piece of shit to put to market, they actually put it to market to screw us over instead of canceling its release and figuring out what the hell Gearbox had been doing with all that time and money they asked for.

Fuck you, SEGA. If anyone company gets crushed and goes out of business because of this, I hope it's SEGA. As much as I hate the likes of EA or Capcom, they wouldn't be stupid enough to let this game get so far out of hand. It would have been canned long before we all wasted our $50 or $60 on it.

Hell, makes me wonder how many of those games that suddenly get canceled end up getting canceled because of shit like this.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I can't share a glitch because I wasn't one of the suckers who bought this game. I haven't taken it off my rental list yet either so I may be a sucker too.

I do have a great idea for a Blues Bros game I think I shared here once before.
Burnout Revenge: Blues Bros edition. It just sounds like chocolate & penutbutter to me: you got the cars settings and music from Blues Bros as a skin to Burnout Revenge...but with bigger crash junctions.
Anyone remember what crash junctions are?

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Canada
Funny and True story: I was right when you took Yahtzee's word on this as gospel. Atleast I know the truth about this game. Atleast I know.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Watching this video, I have to wonder... Does Yantzee watch any of Jim Sterling&#65279;'s stuff? Like, he's been going on about the Alien franchise and this game in particular for a few weeks now, so I find it weird that Yantzee would not only not mention this in his video, but called out all Alien fans by saying everything after Aliens was crap.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
"Colonial Marines, eh?"

*Puts on goggles in preparation for shitstorm*

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
canadamus_prime said:
I bet it would've really sucked to have been the guy who kept getting revived only to get smacked back down again. Must've thought he was in hell or something.
I assume it went something like this:

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zombie Sodomy said:
canadamus_prime said:
I assume it went something like this:
Only instead of a cyclops it was a giant xenomorph and instead of Jesus it was a doofus with combat armour and an assault rifle, but yeah probably something like that.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
I'm actually watching aliens for the fisrt time while I watch this, and I have to say, this is supposed to be scary? I'm having too much fun laughing at all the things I've seen before.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Don't forget to blame SEGA, they're the biggest bastards in this entire story. They LET Gearbox jerk them around for 6 years, and then when they were handed this piece of shit to put to market, they actually put it to market to screw us over instead of canceling its release and figuring out what the hell Gearbox had been doing with all that time and money they asked for.

Fuck you, SEGA. If anyone company gets crushed and goes out of business because of this, I hope it's SEGA. As much as I hate the likes of EA or Capcom, they wouldn't be stupid enough to let this game get so far out of hand. It would have been canned long before we all wasted our $50 or $60 on it.

Hell, makes me wonder how many of those games that suddenly get canceled end up getting canceled because of shit like this.
SEGA were going to lose the Aliens license if they didn't put something out. Too bad it turned out to be shit.

Not to say SEGA's all innocent in releasing crap games... I mean, Sonic '06.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
mjc0961 said:

That's not being bastards that's being idiots. Of course they put it to market, it's a game that is obviously going to make money that probably had preordered on it. They put up the money for the game of course they're going to get whatever money out of it they can.

Yes I'm pretty sure EA would release this game.

Gearbox are still the assholes.
RedDeadFred said:
General Vengeance said:

Ya lets just make a whole bunch of people lose their jobs because of decisions made that are way above them! Who cares if they need the job to feed their families, their bosses lied to us!
Businesses should fall and rise with their products. Otherwise the consumer always gets fucked. If a business is untrustworthy and does shitty things like BLATENTLY FALSE ADVERTISEMENT in the form of a demo than it should cripple them.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
serious biscuit said:
Not only is there already a Blues Brothers game, it also came from the same developer that gifted us with such critical darlings as Dick Tracy, the Prehistorik duology, and the all-time classic, the game everybody must play at least once in their lives lest their tombstone be engraved with "wasted life": Superman on the N64.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
AvP 2 was an awesome game. AvP 2 multiplayer? Double awesome.
Everything else... well, yeah. I guess it all sucked.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
I thought he'd do an inversion and talk about the good things in the game this week, given that everyone else on the internet shat on it. Ah well, still a great video.

General Vengeance said:

1) Borderlands 2
2) I completely agree 3) That's why he's funny, he's a critic. He badmouths games he finds GOOD as well as the ones he finds bad.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I say give Rebellion another shot at making another Aliens or AV game seeing as how AVP 2010 plays and looks better than the trash that is ACM.

And also Sega sue Gearbox into the ground.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Hey Yahtzee, here is my favorite glitch:

Apparently I swapped my weapons when I first started up the game to the shotgun and used that first before pulling out the assault rifle. Well somehow when I fired the shotgun, the sound glitched and everytime I used the shotgun, it made an alien hiss WHENEVER it fired. Even when there were no Aliens around.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I say give Rebellion another shot at making another Aliens or AV game seeing as how AVP 2010 plays and looks better than the trash that is ACM.

Here is what they had to do to make this game good:

Take AvP 2010, remove the Predators all together AND change the title
Give the Marines Iron Sights
And there you go, you have a solid Aliens game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
You are welcome.
Sorry but here, I am peed off out of princible. If Yathzee reveals such a huge part of the plot (and pretty big twist in the canon), then yes, I expect a freaking spoiler warning. It doesn't matter how good or bad the game is - it is still wrong to do.
You do realize this game is not part of the cannon, right? FOX distanciate themselves as far as they could of this turd (who can blame them?) even before it was revealed to be that bad. In fact, it is exactly the point Yatzhee makes: that by bringing back a character that was established to be dead in Alien 3, they reduced the story of A:CM to the level of fan fiction, where they can retell the cannon to include the characters they like...
Bindal said:
geier said:
One bad game ?
Hardly their game - they just did about 10% of it as the game when they got it was more or less finished. You can't blame them for that.
Which is exactly what they are doing to justify this game. Blame TimeGate and Sega about the status of the game...

Do you see a pattern there? Because it makes me doubt the excuses they give to Duke Nukem. It seems the blame game is the best game Pitchford knows how to play...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
You are welcome.
You do realize this game is not part of the cannon, right? FOX distanciate themselves as far as they could of this turd (who can blame them?) even before it was revealed to be that bad. In fact, it is exactly the point Yatzhee makes: that by bringing back a character that was established to be dead in Alien 3, they reduced the story of A:CM to the level of fan fiction, where they can retell the cannon to include the characters they like...
Bindal said:
geier said:
One bad game ?
Which is exactly what they are doing to justify this game. Blame TimeGate and Sega about the status of the game...

Do you see a pattern there? Because it makes me doubt the excuses they give to Duke Nukem. It seems the blame game is the best game Pitchford knows how to play...
1 - No, it is canon. Deal with it. Was stated a billion times and was even a selling point.
2 - No, DNF was an entirely different. They were never even related to it until they decided to purchase what was done (a game about 90%) so it could finally get released after 14 years of waiting and it about to die.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Well, at least there were Blue Brothers in his review...

I hope you can play a good game next time Yahtzee.

serious biscuit

Jul 3, 2012
AlexanderPeregrine said:
serious biscuit said:
Not only is there already a Blues Brothers game, it also came from the same developer that gifted us with such critical darlings as Dick Tracy, the Prehistorik duology, and the all-time classic, the game everybody must play at least once in their lives lest their tombstone be engraved with "wasted life": Superman on the N64.

Well those were all before my time, but this game looks like fun, or should I say would look like fun if not based on the Blues Brothers with the only resemblance being the outfits and records. Maybe its time for a reboot? XD

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Noo Yahtzee, don't give the chicken the assault rifle! Give him the grenade launcher. Okay, I thought we just had an Alien vs Predator game to come out and fail? I think it was Aliens vs Predator vs Humans, and that game failed terribly.

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
sleeky01 said:
sushkis2 said:
There is one way to punish.

DO......NOT.... PARTICIPATE!

Totalbiscuit has a great video up on Youtube explaining this:

<youtube=mf5Uj4XIT1Y>
Yeah, exactly that video put me in this mind set in the first place. Thanks for putting this out,the people must know!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
From what I've seen in gameplay footage, this is probably my favorite glitch. Which I believe you described in the video Yahtzee:

Followed by this:

And this:

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ulquiorra4sama said:
I thought that was just an accepted fact in the gaming world by now. You know, like "Final Fantasy games drag on for too long", "Call of Duty is racist", and "BioWare games have good writing".

I suppose after the hype around the stage demo for this, and back with the pre-rendered trailer for Dead Island we've moved to a point where playable demos soon are the only way to make gamers trust your product. So perhaps something good came out of all this after all.
Lots of superfluous, pointless, drawn-out dialog and narration do not equate to "good writing". Not that all Bioware games suffer from that, of course, but not all Bioware games have "good writing".

That, and Call of Duty games weren't always inherently "racist". Their gradual homogenization into a simple, straight-forward, mass-marketed product turned them into that. It's the classic "us versus them" mentality that appeals to the games current demographic.

But anyway, that pointless debate aside (sorry, couldn't resist for some reason. something's wrong with me.), I hope, like you, that something good comes of this mess. I highly doubt it but perhaps gamers AND developers/publishers will both learn that customer loyalty is earned through good products and services, and not demanded as payment for goods rendered.

Bindal said:
Insultingly awful game aside, I agree with you here. However...

This I can't agree with.

We most certainly CAN blame them for how awful this game is. They knew what they had. They were more than well aware of the state of the final product. Yet, they greenlit it's release, they charged full price, and they used a misleading ad campaign.

More over, they not only lied to us all about the quality of the thing (demo controversy anyone?), but they didn't even attempt to fix it. They simply did some legal finagling to retain the license (as did Sega, who are just as much to blame in this) and pawned the game off on another development team.

In short, we can, and should, blame Gearbox for this obnoxious tripe. It's their fault the game saw the light of day in it's current state. Just as it was their fault Duke Nukem Forever released in such an awful state.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
Pre-ordering in it's current form is absolute shit because companies seem to think it's ok to put an insignificant cosmetic in and say " that's enough reason to give us $60 ahead of time for no reason right?
Pre-ordering in an age of digital distribution is highly questionable to begin with, just as a matter of practicality.
I'm amazed at how many people miss that.

The sad truth of the matter is that somebody, at some point, is going to have to take the plunge to review the game.
As noted before, NDAs exist, and can cut critics off at the knees in terms of timeliness.

As for the "Blame Game"...

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is a bad game to say exactly where the hugging aliens upset me the most is hard to say... pleased i didn't waste coin on this, my poor flat mate on the other hand got the collector's ed sadly.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mike1921 said:
RedDeadFred said:
General Vengeance said:

Businesses should fall and rise with their products. Otherwise the consumer always gets fucked. If a business is untrustworthy and does shitty things like BLATENTLY FALSE ADVERTISEMENT in the form of a demo than it should cripple them.
While I agree that they should definitely lose money and maybe even get fined (wishful thinking probably) over their business practice, to condemn their entire company to death would be a major overreaction and just plain barbaric. And quite honestly, people wouldn't be getting screwed over if they didn't pre-order and actually took time to research the product they are buying. I mean, you can't honestly say that Gearbox has a track record worthy of pre-order trusting (Duke Nukem!?). When you pre-order, you are gambling your money and sometimes you lose. Is it fair? No, of course not but that doesn't mean people shouldn't realize the risk.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
sushkis2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks, that the bar in video game industry is now so low, that we allow such atrocities to be released?
Yes.

Such atrocities have always been released. It's the fact that the bar has been raised that this game has been so widely denounced. Check out any gaming generation, and you'll find games as bad or worse than this.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
We should nuke this game from orbit. It's the only way to make sure nobody plays it.

I feel like the aliens should just be ported into Garry's Mod. That would make the game much more enjoyable.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
You are welcome.
Bindal said:
geier said:
One bad game ?

1 - No, it is canon. Deal with it. Was stated a billion times and was even a selling point.
2 - No, DNF was an entirely different. They were never even related to it until they decided to purchase what was done (a game about 90%) so it could finally get released after 14 years of waiting and it about to die.
You know what, screw this game, and screw this being canon. The people at Fox are either idiots for allowing this piece of bull**** to be canon, or they weren't in on it, just lied to by Gearbox. Or maybe some Gearbox employee's uncle is a Fox executive, and the guy begged him to help, so maybe they can get more pre-orders, and first day buys out of fans, before word of mouth gets around what a disaster the whole thing is. I don't even care for the gameplay which was sown together by a billion different studios, I am talking about the story, which Gearbox was praising and talking about everyone there being HUGE ALIENS FANS.

Retconning Hicks's death out of Alien 3??? Even if they gave a perfectly reasonable explenation and detailed look, at how all this happened, it still wouldn't make much sense...but to shrug it off, with "it was some other guy" and "long story". Seriously that's quite a big insult, from these big fans, and really why Hicks?
Couldn't they make Hudson survive somehow, he was also a beloved character, he was a real badass, and that could have probably been easily explained in just sentences, if that's all what Gearbox is capable of - like how he was dragged down, ( he could have had scars on his face from the Alien that grabbed him ) and before becoming a host, he managed to escape and find a well closed area where he was safe from the explosion, - since apperantly Gearbox succesfully downplay's the threat in their favourite film with the whole place blowing up in a few hours scenario, since it seems it didn't do that much damage to the colony. The countdown voice at the end of the movie should have said: "No rush Ripley, this won't be such a big bang, as Bishop said it would be, please stop hammering the elevator buttons."

I really don't get why they need to mess with the continuity of a movie series that is more than 20 years old, and I still don't get why Fox would consider such a terrible story to be canon...

To me this is not canon, to me the Alien movies are the first three movies, which create a great trilogy, which was centered around a great female hero character, who in the end gives her life, to save humanity from this alien menace once and for all. I have no need for Aliens Resurrection either, thank you ...
I know a lot of people dislike Alien 3, but for some of us like me and Jim Sterling, it is our favourite Alien movie, we acknowledge the deaths of Hicks and Newt as a tragic event, but it fits into theme of Alien 3, with Ripley ending up basicly on her own, in the worst situation she has ever been in.

Speaking for my self, Gearbox has not retconned the tragedy at the beginning in the third movie, I personally will not take into consideration, the lame story of one of the biggest failures in recent video game history.

Perhaps Yahtzee was right, and sequels should not be created by fans, because they are too in love with the subject matter and will just screw it up, while trying to pay homage.
In the past, I rejected this idea, because I always thought, hey who better than fans to continue what they love and cherish and ... well thanks for proving me wrong Gearbox.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
mike1921 said:
RedDeadFred said:
General Vengeance said:

While I agree that they should definitely lose money and maybe even get fined (wishful thinking probably) over their business practice, to condemn their entire company to death would be a major overreaction and just plain barbaric. And quite honestly, people wouldn't be getting screwed over if they didn't pre-order and actually took time to research the product they are buying. I mean, you can't honestly say that Gearbox has a track record worthy of pre-order trusting (Duke Nukem!?). When you pre-order, you are gambling your money and sometimes you lose. Is it fair? No, of course not but that doesn't mean people shouldn't realize the risk.
Losing money past a certain point is the death of the company.

I've said it before that you need to treat pre ordering as an investment and decide on risk vs reward, and that A:CM is incredibly high risk for the incredibly petty reward. I don't honestly see it as unfair either that there's a risk. You are , by preordering, deciding that you are convinced that the game is good enough for you to not wait for reviews to give them your money for whatever reward they're giving you.

Although in the case of Colonial Marines: Anyone who preordered the game should be god damn entitled to a full refund after that fucking demo faking false advertisement.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Guess a Fire Emblem Awakening Review isn't in the cards - there are too many big releases in a clump- he still needs to work through Revengence and Laura Croft Returns

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Now, I shouldn't really involve myself in this but...

Vigormortis said:
Bindal said:
Insultingly awful game aside, I agree with you here. However...

This I can't agree with.

We most certainly CAN blame them for how awful this game is. They knew what they had. They were more than well aware of the state of the final product. Yet, they greenlit it's release, they charged full price, and they used a misleading ad campaign.
I don't think any of the developers did the ad campaign. Sounds like the publisher side of things.

I do agree though, that blame should fall heaviest on the shoulders of the last people to work on the game before release. Having to go over layers of preexisting code must have been a ***** to deal with though, then again, they said it was done...

Mr C

May 8, 2008
General Vengeance said:
You've got your wish with your second point. I will NEVER preorder again. This fiasco has scarred the whole industry. I will always wait for the verdict to come in. I trusted those monkeys at Gearbox, Pitchford is a c**t - that is not a satirical tweet.

ACM burned me so badly I wouldn't even preorder Half Life 3 if it was announced, had a vertical slice demo I could play and preorders came with a blowjob from Anne Hathaway.

ON TOPIC - my worst glitch happened just before the first powerloader section. I knew what the game wanted me to do, but it wouldn't let me get in the bloody thing. After 5 minutes of searching the room I realised Dickface O'Neal was absent. Of course you need him to spout some bullshit before you can enter the vehicle. The dumb shit was in the last room running on the spot like the stupid twat he is. I suppose that is an example of the game showing "It is all driven by highly sophisticated artificial intelligence" (Pitchford, 2012). I wonder which developer he's based on or if he represents the whole of Gearbox.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
MB202 said:
Watching this video, I have to wonder... Does Yantzee watch any of Jim Sterling&#65279;'s stuff? Like, he's been going on about the Alien franchise and this game in particular for a few weeks now, so I find it weird that Yantzee would not only not mention this in his video, but called out all Alien fans by saying everything after Aliens was crap.
I think it's general consensus that everything after Aliens sucks; even Ridley Scott discounts everything after Aliens as non-canon (except Prometheus, because that was a prequel). A lot of calls for "Yahtzee should eviscerate Colonial Marines" were made in the comments for Jim's videos talking about Aliens. Although Yahtzee isn't above taking the occasional jab at fellow Escapist contributors (ex: MovieBob).

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Here is what they had to do to make this game good:

Take AvP 2010, remove the Predators 'and Weyland Yutani synthetics' all together AND change the title
Give the Marines Iron Sights
And there you go, you have a solid Aliens game.
FIXED

Captcha: take wrong turns - I preordered the bloody thing, what more do you want!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
minnull said:
I love how the arabic text at the end is just a bunch of arabic letters strung together without even being properly attached to make words. That pretty much sums up this game.
I was thinking he threw some random sentence into Google Translate for that like he did with the Russian female colleague-person. Bilingual bonus ftw.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
serious biscuit said:
You are in luck, for there is a Blues Brothers game!
I have no idea how to imbed BlipTV, so here's a link:
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/blues-brothers-snes-volume-2-dvd-exclusive-6359462

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
the antithesis said:
I tell you, I am shocked by the dogged attachment to brand recognition that the current market hold onto white-knuckled. But I am depressed at how right it is for developers and publishers to do it. I actually watched the review of the new Tomb Raider based on brand recognition alone and I never played the original games. Seriously. It's just sad when even someone like me who points out this failing in others also has that same failing. Human nature is shit, apparently.
what the fuck are you rambling on about?

a game that captrued what was good about Aliens could have been really good, true the franchise feels tired but again the potential was there

a reboot of tombraider while uneccicary might make for a good reimagining of the charachter AND get us a female lead (somthing I'm always wanting)

oh and Ive only ever seen the extended cut of Aliens and it was awsome

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
sushkis2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks, that the bar in video game industry is now so low, that we allow such atrocities to be released?
Yes.

Such atrocities have always been released. It's the fact that the bar has been raised that this game has been so widely denounced. Check out any gaming generation, and you'll find games as bad or worse than this.
Agreed.

Anyone remember Action 52? 52 broken games for the mere price of 199 U.S. dollars. What a deal! :D

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I'm not sure if it counts as a glitch, but there was a scene where some Weyland-Yutani soldiers were running down a hallway towards me, like they were trying to get off the exploding ship. I watched them run through a door, which closed behind them. I walked up to a nearby window to look outside and see where they went... turns out there WAS no corridoor, hallway, or anything.

...Where did they go? Narnia?

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
You now this thread really shows how angry the Escapist can be, with them lashing out against just about anyone, saying that they want companies to go under and how they hate people for buying a game in a certain manner. Oi.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I haven't been far in the campaign, but there have been some interesting ones. The only one I have a clip of is this:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/974878

It's not as big or hilarious as some of the other glitches I have heard of, but it is kind of funny still.
(Yeah, I didn't want to have to make people hunt it down through the whole video, so the tubechop has it and only it)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
It's not a glitch per se, but a pretty severe narrative derp. At the game's onset, you're making your way through the umbilical and towards the Sulaco. One of your guys suddenly is afflicted with a Chest-Burster; nevermind how a Facehugger never even entered the picture!

"Uuuuh, Randy, we gotta use that animation! We gotta!
- But it makes no sense in the current build!
- WE GOTTA USE IT OR IT'S GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!
- Okay, fine! Use it! Jeeze!
- Kthnxbai!" *gleefully proceeds ahead with the murder of an already moribund plot*

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
-Dragmire- said:
Now, I shouldn't really involve myself in this but...

I don't think any of the developers did the ad campaign. Sounds like the publisher side of things.

I do agree though, that blame should fall heaviest on the shoulders of the last people to work on the game before release. Having to go over layers of preexisting code must have been a ***** to deal with though, then again, they said it was done...
Oh, sure, the publisher was likely responsible for much of the ad-space ads. As in, adverts on the television, website banners, etc. I'm not forgetting that. That's why I said Sega is as much to blame as Gearbox.

However, Gearbox has been doing their own adverts and hyping. Some of it via Youtube, Twitter, etc. Some of it via the blog-o-sphere. Much of it, however, in the form of Randy Pitchford getting out in front of the gaming community and doing the PR shuffle by saying, "Oh man, this game is so sweet! We love Aliens and we're making sure this game is the best thing to hit the franchise ever! Trust me, I'm Randy Pitchford!"

Why anyone still trusts what that man says after the travesties and broken promises of Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and all the other nonsense he spews forth is beyond me...

[edit]
Don't misunderstand me, though. I have no beef with many of the people over at Gearbox. They have quite a few talented artists, designers, programmers, and engineers over there. Many of my issues are with the corporate side of things.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Vigormortis said:
...Just as it was their fault Duke Nukem Forever released in such an awful state.
Except I was talking about DNF?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mike1921 said:
RedDeadFred said:
mike1921 said:
RedDeadFred said:
General Vengeance said:

Losing money past a certain point is the death of the company.

I've said it before that you need to treat pre ordering as an investment and decide on risk vs reward, and that A:CM is incredibly high risk for the incredibly petty reward. I don't honestly see it as unfair either that there's a risk. You are , by preordering, deciding that you are convinced that the game is good enough for you to not wait for reviews to give them your money for whatever reward they're giving you.

Although in the case of Colonial Marines: Anyone who preordered the game should be god damn entitled to a full refund after that fucking demo faking false advertisement.
Well of course losing money past a certain point make a company go belly up but considering how well Borderlands 1 and 2 did, I don't think that's really a problem for them. I was just saying that there should be repercussions for this.

Anyway, I completely agree with everything you said. The false advertising is why I said it was unfair.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Sadly, I bought this damn game. Great review Yahtzee, it really needed a good thrashing.

Favorite glitch: Alien teleported into a closed off room, froze, and became immortal. It was just moving its head back and forth like it was looking for enemies.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
hermes200 said:
Bindal said:
You are welcome.
Bindal said:
geier said:
One bad game ?

1 - My fault then... I thought I read somewhere that Fox has decided to distance themselves from the game and only sold the rights for the IP. At the end of the day, I would expect them to consider this canon the same way Star Wars: Force Unleashed is canon (which is, until some movie directly contradicts it, at which point it stops being such). In any case, I would advice you to take "selling point" from gearbox with a grain of salt; the chances of being spoiled of such "experience" with a more gratitude spirit; and the Alien canon with less sacrosanct respect, since Fox, after 2 AvsP movies and this glorified fanon, obviously doesn't.

2 - No, just no. That is only an excuse from Pitchford to cop out some blame, which I will not accept. There were 9 months from the announcement (September 2010) to the release of the game (June 2011), with a delay in between. There are games that are completed in that time. Are you going to tell me that, in all that time, no one in Gearbox looked at the game and said "this is crap"? A game that has been in development for longer than MS has a gaming division was now "90% complete"? How about the CEO of the company threatening people that didn't like the game (http://www.gamefront.com/gearboxs-randy-pitchford-reviewers-who-dont-like-duke-nukem-forever-will-be-held-accountable/)? Or comparing it to Half Life 2 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-duke-nukem-forever-a-discussion-with-randy-pitchford ? Or interviews where he says all the work they did updating the game and its humor to the present (thank god, if the final product is any indication I don't want to think what was left on the cutting room floor)? Please note that most of those interviews were published around (or after) the game release, so ignorance is not a valid excuse. When shit hit the fan and the game quality was inexcusable under the 2K and Gearbox standards, he turned around and started pointing fingers at everyone but themselves (in stereotypical executive fashion): "the journalists don't get it", "the humor is not for everyone", "the other guys were the guys that REALLY developed", "we only bought it", "next time, we will get it right". And now, its all over again... I could almost predict his moves based on the timeline of DKF, but this time it took them 6 years, not 14.

HepatitisQ

Feb 28, 2013
The glitch Yatzhee mentioned seemed to be something common [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddEiIM-GKEk&feature=youtu.be] in Gearbox games.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
he pretend not to like being characterised like a personal attack dog for shitty games. But this review was top form. It clearly brings out the best in him.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm thinking that Weyland-Yutani based their business model on that of the Umbrella Corporation. ...or vice versa.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
I would like to know, why the hell everyone bitches about this game? Not once in my both playthroughs did I ever have a glitch. The controls are fine, the weapons are fine, the AI needs a bit of a touch up (Works well enough), and the adventure on the planet was fun. You people just don't appreciate what people TRY to do for you. The game was to give a backstory of what happened after Aliens 2 and Gearbox worked hard on this. I bet some of you didn't even go through the first damn mission and came up with some 'review' just because a graphic mesh didn't pop in. You people are unbelievably stupid and arrogant. The whole gaming community is filled with petty little children and ignorant people.

It's a game. Not everything is going to work out all the time just because you expect it to.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
General Vengeance said:
Really? No integrity? Gearbox is an asshole? Gearbox is like the uncle of the video game revolution. Half Life, Counter Strike, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Halo CE, and Brothers In Arms.

Don't down talk a company that was involved in so much of the video game's history.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
GildaTheGriffin said:
General Vengeance said:
Really? No integrity? Gearbox is an asshole? Gearbox is like the uncle of the video game revolution. Half Life, Counter Strike, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Halo CE, and Brothers In Arms.

Don't down talk a company that was involved in so much of the video game's history.
You give them too much credit. Of all those examples, the only series that are truly theirs are Borderlands and Brothers in Arms. For Counter Strike they did some development (main developers were Valve and Ritual), and their involvement in HL and Halo was mainly porting jobs. Nice jobs, but hardly the pillars of videogames history you presume.
GildaTheGriffin said:
I would like to know, why the hell everyone bitches about this game? Not once in my both playthroughs did I ever have a glitch. The controls are fine, the weapons are fine, the AI needs a bit of a touch up (Works well enough), and the adventure on the planet was fun. You people just don't appreciate what people TRY to do for you. The game was to give a backstory of what happened after Aliens 2 and Gearbox worked hard on this. I bet some of you didn't even go through the first damn mission and came up with some 'review' just because a graphic mesh didn't pop in. You people are unbelievably stupid and arrogant. The whole gaming community is filled with petty little children and ignorant people.
Here is the deal... everyone works hard on everything. Games are hard, and you can be sure the developers of any facebook game worked as hard (or harder) than the developer of some AAA game; so working hard is no real differentiation on the quality of something.

The idea of something being excused of being bad because its hard is not a real excuse. If I cook a cake made of shit, I don't expect people to eat it because "I worked hard on it", not when there are a lot of other cakes around that are NOT made of shit, and not when I try to CHARGE people for my shit cake. And I won't be taken seriously if I start saying "this cake is not shit" or "its shit, but so tasty you barely notice it". Want to know why we ***** about this game? Because its not good, they know it, yet they expect us to act like it was god gift to us (or, at least, just as good as any other game).

Sorry, but companies don't make games "for you", they make them to sell them TO YOU. Pitchford made himself clear when he talked down, banned or threatened people that had complains with his games, that his idea of community is not based on sympathy, so he shouldn't expect sympathy from us. They don't work "on good intentions"; they don't sell games "on good intentions", so they shouldn't expect people to pay them "on good intentions". That kind of attitude can be understandable on an indie developer that makes a small game as a hobby on his free time and is trying to make a name for himself; but Gearbox is a big company, with a big budget, years of experience and dozens of people working full time for 6 years... So, no. What they "TRY to do" is not good enough, and it "works well enough" is not good enough.

I do feel bad for people that truly worked on the game and had no way of communicating to the outside world that it was shit and no real power to change it, so if Gearbox goes down the sink tomorrow (which it deserves), I will hope for two things: that the few talented people had little problem to find a new job, and that the people responsible for this overpriced shit cake sinks with it.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
hermes200 said:
GildaTheGriffin said:
General Vengeance said:

You give them too much credit. Of all those examples, the only series that are truly theirs are Borderlands and Brothers in Arms. For Counter Strike they did some development (main developers were Valve and Ritual), and their involvement in HL and Halo was mainly porting jobs. Nice jobs, but hardly the pillars of videogames history you presume.
GildaTheGriffin said:
Here is the deal... everyone works hard on everything. Games are hard, and you can be sure the developers of any facebook game worked as hard (or harder) than the developer of some AAA game; so working hard is no real differentiation on the quality of something.

The idea of something being excused of being bad because its hard is not a real excuse. If I cook a cake made of shit, I don't expect people to eat it because "I worked hard on it", not when there are a lot of other cakes around that are NOT made of shit, and not when I try to CHARGE people for my shit cake. And I won't be taken seriously if I start saying "this cake is not shit" or "its shit, but so tasty you barely notice it". Want to know why we ***** about this game? Because its not good, they know it, yet they expect us to act like it was god gift to us (or, at least, just as good as any other game).

Sorry, but companies don't make games "for you", they make them to sell them TO YOU. Pitchford made himself clear when he talked down, banned or threatened people that had complains with his games, that his idea of community is not based on sympathy, so he shouldn't expect sympathy from us. They don't work "on good intentions"; they don't sell games "on good intentions", so they shouldn't expect people to pay them "on good intentions". That kind of attitude can be understandable on an indie developer that makes a small game as a hobby on his free time and is trying to make a name for himself; but Gearbox is a big company, with a big budget, years of experience and dozens of people working full time for 6 years... So, no. What they "TRY to do" is not good enough, and it "works well enough" is not good enough.

I do feel bad for people that truly worked on the game and had no way of communicating to the outside world that it was shit and no real power to change it, so if Gearbox goes down the sink tomorrow (which it deserves), I will hope for two things: that the few talented people had little problem to find a new job, and that the people responsible for this overpriced shit cake sinks with it.
1. Facebook games are not under the pressure like a 'real' company is. Companies have hundreds or even thousands of workers in over several locations around the world with several positions of bosses/managers that rely on the cooperation of there workers to do their jobs the way they see fit. Games like Aliens CM have publishers, who market and fund the games. Games like Farmville don't. So they have to fit in a budget and make sure its to fit the platforms with the hardware and software it has. You are trying to compare two different types of games and thinking it makes sense to you. But I do my research, I look at how things are made and woven together from both a publisher's view and a developer's view.

2. Trying is the best thing you can do. Employees at Bungie stated when Halo CE was in development, they were not sure of their abilities to make a triple A title so they just followed their ideas and hoped that game sold well. Valve employees did the same thing during Half-Life's development, because they were designing a game that was of nothing the world had seen before in that time period, so they just tried their best and followed through. Nobody really knows how people react to it, so they TRY. So please, show some respect for all those game developers who do their hardest to please you with something they hope makes you happy and gets them their paychecks. If they didn't make you happy, then at least pat them on the back and tell them they did the best they could with the software, the money, and the talent they had to work with.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bindal said:
Vigormortis said:
...Just as it was their fault Duke Nukem Forever released in such an awful state.
So you're saying Duke Nukem Forever being released as such an awful mess wasn't their fault because, after purchasing the rights to the game, they only bothered to put "10%" of the work into the final product?

Do you not realize how utterly ridiculous that sounds? If they saw how bad the game was when they bought the rights to it (which they assuredly realized) but never bothered to even try to fix it, how is it NOT their fault the game released as such a piece of shit? They knew what they had. They released it anyway. It's riddled with their logos. Randy Pitchford still makes a point of bragging about the game and saying it's dramatically better than it is.

Then, to add insult to injury, they (especially Randy Pitchford) lied to us about what it was. And, had the audacity to charge sixty dollars for it.

Still failing to see how the awfulness of DNF and A:CM weren't Gearbox's fault.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
GildaTheGriffin said:
General Vengeance said:

But how much respect can you give to someone who simply rides the coat-tails of the revolutionaries?

I agree the artists, programmers, and engineers over at Gearbox deserve a lot of respect. They are some damn talented people. However, the corporate side of Gearbox isn't something I'd openly brag about. If anything, their corporate level employees are holding back their best designers.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
My fave glitch wasn't a very big or impressive one like most I've read on hear. Mine was a humble alien jumping off a wall, falling through the floor and dying, with but one hand sticking up through the floor. When I shot the hand (as you do in these situations) it started waving. I watched it for about a minute and waved back, thinking, "Maybe these aliens ain't all bad..."

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
MB202 said:
I think it's general consensus that everything after Aliens sucks; even Ridley Scott discounts everything after Aliens as non-canon (except Prometheus, because that was a prequel). A lot of calls for "Yahtzee should eviscerate Colonial Marines" were made in the comments for Jim's videos talking about Aliens. Although Yahtzee isn't above taking the occasional jab at fellow Escapist contributors (ex: MovieBob).
What you see as a supposed "jab" against MovieBob, I see as Yahtzee giving Bob WAAAAAY too much credit.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Is it just me, or does the gamebox art look better after Yahtzee gave it the shade of "eggy fart"? Because that is an apt description of the game itself.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
My favorite glitch was when the soldier who had a chest burster in him just got onto his knees, hollered with a grenade in his hand, and blasted himself to bits sending you and a few other crew members to die...

Which sadly, was not a glitch. It was scripted in the game's plot and honestly was very poorly written.
I like how you are walking through the umbilical facing towards the centre when he blows the grenade (asshole). You then fall backwards out of the Sulaco towards the opening.

JellySlimerMan

Dec 28, 2012
Is it just me, or the Co-Op problem in all action horror games could be solved by simply, you know, enabling friendly fire? this way only a FEW people would need to shoot the aliens in a formation that doesnt make their bullets be aimed at the team.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
GildaTheGriffin said:

It's a game. Not everything is going to work out all the time just because you expect it to.
Pitchford, is that you? :>

Seriously though, I would've thought that the main reasons for most people's gripes with this game have been well-enough documented (time and time again) so I don't understand you saying "I don't know what everyone's complaining about". If you enjoyed it then good for you and if you didn't encounter any glitches then again good for you - looks like you're in the lucky minority.

However I don't think you can just brush this off with 'Gais. Gais. C'mon gais, they tried, so go easy on them' attitude. These are supposed professionals and are supposed to be releasing a product with a professional level of quality and by many accounts they've dropped a turd. Yes, give folks credit for their hard graft - especially as commented the poor artists and coders who did their job but could do nothing really to change the course of what was happening. A released product should come with an expected minimum standard of quality and if many people do not believe a product meets that standard, then complaining about it does not make them stupid, arrogant, petty or ignorant. If you go to a restaurant, order a meal and are given (and then expected to pay for) something that's not up to reasonable standards, you are not the bad person for complaining about it.

EDIT: P.S. Yahtzee, you Callipygian Superman. Don't be so coy. You know we always want you around!
2nd edit: spelling d'oh

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
GildaTheGriffin said:
hermes200 said:
GildaTheGriffin said:
General Vengeance said:

GildaTheGriffin said:

1. Facebook games are not under the pressure like a 'real' company is. Companies have hundreds or even thousands of workers in over several locations around the world with several positions of bosses/managers that rely on the cooperation of there workers to do their jobs the way they see fit. Games like Aliens CM have publishers, who market and fund the games. Games like Farmville don't. So they have to fit in a budget and make sure its to fit the platforms with the hardware and software it has. You are trying to compare two different types of games and thinking it makes sense to you. But I do my research, I look at how things are made and woven together from both a publisher's view and a developer's view.

2. Trying is the best thing you can do. Employees at Bungie stated when Halo CE was in development, they were not sure of their abilities to make a triple A title so they just followed their ideas and hoped that game sold well. Valve employees did the same thing during Half-Life's development, because they were designing a game that was of nothing the world had seen before in that time period, so they just tried their best and followed through. Nobody really knows how people react to it, so they TRY. So please, show some respect for all those game developers who do their hardest to please you with something they hope makes you happy and gets them their paychecks. If they didn't make you happy, then at least pat them on the back and tell them they did the best they could with the software, the money, and the talent they had to work with.
1. That's... not even close to the point. My point was that quality and difficulty are independent, and even games with no quality are as difficult to make as the best AAA game. Hardship is a given in any example, so it is not be differentiation factor. In that case, "being difficult" and "working hard" are not really excuses for delivering something of less quality, especially in the professional environment. So, your rebuttal is that they are "difficult" on a different sense? That's not even close to the point. Does it bother you so much that I choose examples that are not equal because the funding is different? How about Daikatana and Deus Ex (they are both published by external entities, are made for the same platform and are even from the same year)... Does that sound like a fairer comparison to you? Should I hold them on equal terms of quality because "John Romero tried so hard to make me his *****"? No one can deny a lot of people worked hard on both of them (at least, someone has to), but that alone says nothing of the end result.

Also, if you think facebook developers answer to no one, are not under pressure or don't have budget and time restrictions to make their work, you need to go back to "research". Ask any of the thousands of employees of Zynga or EA/Facebook how is it not to work for a "real" company.

2. Here is a revolutionary concept in gaming development that both your examples use extensively (I am sure as someone that "do my research, I look at how things are made and woven together from both a publisher's view and a developer's view", you have stumble on it), its called "iterative development". This is how it work: people TRY something, evaluate it, learn from it, find what doesn't work, fix it and TRY again, evaluate it, learn from it, and so on. Alternatively, they might realize it doesn't work at all and dump it entirely. No idea should go straight from the mind of his creator to the finished product; great ideas are not done by accident, they are iterated time and time again by several people until they are up to his creators standards, or they die in the cutting room floor (to make those decisions is the job of the game director). Valve and Bungie are great examples because they don't just "go with their guts"... nothing, from the tone of voice of GLADOS to the opening of Halo 1 is the result of chance, but the result of a cohesive vision that was given form after countless details has been done and redone. Rovio made 27 games before angry birds, each of which contributing (in terms of experience acquired and knowledge of what did and did not work) to the success of their latest game, and each of them iterating countless times themselves.

So, yes... I appreciate when artists and developers try new things (in fact, experimenting is a vital part of design and development on any field) or designers make their intentions public; but attempts and intentions are cheap. I appreciate a lot more when they iterate on their attempts to make them better and more consistent with the game they work on, not when they try a few times and give up because someone decides "that is good enough". Or, you can say: when they all act as professionals about it.

Kallindril

Apr 22, 2010
So this is one to avoid. I really hope Metal Gear Revengeance is going to get a video review, I liked the game and Yahtzee's take on the final boss by itself would be worth it.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Bindal said:
Vigormortis said:
So you're saying Duke Nukem Forever being released as such an awful mess wasn't their fault because, after purchasing the rights to the game, they only bothered to put "10%" of the work into the final product?
Keep in mind DNF is abbreviation for Did Not Finish, as well.
Which is just fine description of both games, on several layers.

They are all to blame. Never mind arguing about who's to blame MORE.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
It's not a glitch per se, but a pretty severe narrative derp. At the game's onset, you're making your way through the umbilical and towards the Sulaco. One of your guys suddenly is afflicted with a Chest-Burster; nevermind how a Facehugger never even entered the picture!

- Kthnxbai!" *gleefully proceeds ahead with the murder of an already moribund plot*
Not gonna argue with you as to whether or not the whole blowing up a grenade in the middle of an umbilical and fucking a whole bunch of other marines was stupid and/or bad writing (because it was). But on the whole 'facehugger never entered the picture' thing, you are actually wrong my friend.

The moron who blows himself up, Keyes, is the first marine you encounter on the Sulaco. He's one of Rhino squad, the group that was sent in before you. Remember where you found him? It was in the room with the lurker, which you probably remember as actually being atmospheric and a little scary due to the cat and mouse game you play. Now, do you remember what you were doing before the lurker interrupted you and what you finish doing afterward?

You cut him free from where he's been cocooned into the wall. Remember what else is in that room? Alien eggs. Some of which are open. And if you take a moment or two to explore, know what you can find on the floor? Dead facehuggers.

So him getting chestburst is actually foreshadowed. The scene itself is still dumb as all hell, but doesn't come out of nowhere

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Teh Jammah said:
IamLEAM1983 said:

Not gonna argue with you as to whether or not the whole blowing up a grenade in the middle of an umbilical and fucking a whole bunch of other marines was stupid and/or bad writing (because it was). But on the whole 'facehugger never entered the picture' thing, you are actually wrong my friend.

The moron who blows himself up, Keyes, is the first marine you encounter on the Sulaco. He's one of Rhino squad, the group that was sent in before you. Remember where you found him? It was in the room with the lurker, which you probably remember as actually being atmospheric and a little scary due to the cat and mouse game you play. Now, do you remember what you were doing before the lurker interrupted you and what you finish doing afterward?

You cut him free from where he's been cocooned into the wall. Remember what else is in that room? Alien eggs. Some of which are open. And if you take a moment or two to explore, know what you can find on the floor? Dead facehuggers.

So him getting chestburst is actually foreshadowed. The scene itself is still dumb as all hell, but doesn't come out of nowhere
Whoa. The game has to be rather frightfully generic for me to not remember that, because you're absolutely right.

Put it down to the whole thing feeling so monumentally dumb I didn't even bother to remember anyone's names. Except maybe O'Neill, but that's because O'Neill's AI seems to be frightfully bad.

Forget Amnesia. Forget H.P. Lovecraft adaptations. O'Neill's AI is utterly terrifying in its ineptitude.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Chattermouth said:
Vigormortis said:
Bindal said:
Vigormortis said:

That's what I was saying in my previous posts. They all have equal blame in regards to the two games "that shall not be named".

The person I was "conversing" with seemed bent on alleviating Gearbox of all fault. Which, to me, was ridiculous.

BosBaBe

Apr 18, 2012
My favorite glitch was when the npc characters would stand behind cover completely frozen, staring off into space like they were waiting for the next mother ship to land, and you'd stand there waiting for them so you can continue on, only for them to randomly run out from behind cover screaming at you about how they'll leave your pussy ass behind if you don't grow a pair and run. My next favorite glitch was how when you played as a alien you could sometimes crawl on things that weren't there, or glitch through walls.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Chattermouth said:
Vigormortis said:
Bindal said:
Vigormortis said:

That's what I was saying in my previous posts. They all have equal blame in regards to the two games "that shall not be named".

The person I was "conversing" with seemed bent on alleviating Gearbox of all fault. Which, to me, was ridiculous.
He can't have meant that. I mean, seeing as how the nice-looking demo, with all that juicy dynamic lighting and great content which simply does not exist in the full game, was actually presented by Gearbox with comments and bragging by Pitchford!
They can't possibly shy away from from taking their fair share of the steaming fecal-pie.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Chattermouth said:
He can't have meant that. I mean, seeing as how the nice-looking demo, with all that juicy dynamic lighting and great content which simply does not exist in the full game, was actually presented by Gearbox with comments and bragging by Pitchford!
They can't possibly shy away from from taking their fair share of the steaming fecal-pie.
You'd think that, but he basically was. I think he honestly meant it. And, he's not alone. Quite a few Gearbox/Borderlands fans have been doing the same.

As for Gearbox, well....they're* acting about the same as they were with Duke Nukem Forever.

One minute they're saying the game is "amazing" and that gamers are just "whining". The next they're saying, "It's not our fault! did it! We made Borderlands! You can't hate us!"

[sub]* and by "they're" I mean Randy Pitchford.[/sub]

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
I was in Best Buy a few weeks ago looking for something to spend my rewards certificate on, and the employee working in the game department suggested this game. LOL I picked it up and looked at it and put it right back down when he had his back turned. I knew it was more than likely trash before I even watched this review. The part about the glitching was hilarious.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Every few years you need a game so horrid, so broken yet so reasonable sold that it will be remembered. And Aliens wins this title for this round. I think there is no gamer out there that thinks this title is any good. Though I can see the Co-op being played online for laughs.

Seriously.. so it makes us laugh. that is worth something to right? At least it is utterly terrible.. but you shall remember it being so horrible bad indeed. Unlike some other titles that are just mediocre..

So I put this one nicely in that lovely list of memorable moments in gaming. Okay it can't beat Superman 64 but that is only beaten by ET so. Come on.. this is nice in this box.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
masticina said:
Every few years you need a game so horrid, so broken yet so reasonable sold that it will be remembered. And Aliens wins this title for this round. I think there is no gamer out there that thinks this title is any good. Though I can see the Co-op being played online for laughs.

Seriously.. so it makes us laugh. that is worth something to right? At least it is utterly terrible.. but you shall remember it being so horrible bad indeed. Unlike some other titles that are just mediocre..

So I put this one nicely in that lovely list of memorable moments in gaming. Okay it can't beat Superman 64 but that is only beaten by ET so. Come on.. this is nice in this box.
Honestly I don't think the game itself is terrible enough to be a memorable moment in gaming, but similar to Mass Effect 3's ending it is the proof that a developer lied to its consumers that may give Colonial Marines a spot in gaming history.

I didn't get nearly as many bugs as people have posted here, but in some way I kinda wished I had, at least it would have made it more entertaining. All I played was an extremely mediocre game that from what we had been shown prior should have been great. And as a big fan of the Alien franchise I felt more disappointed than I should have.

On the bright side, ditching this game made me return to AVP2 for PC, which still has a small but decent online playerbase (unlike AVP2010). Then I remembered why of all the countless games I've played I rank AVP2 2nd best of all time.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I had the BEST glitch in history.
The BEST.

The place I had (verbally) preordered the game from, over the phone, apparently forgot to put it into the system.

So I ended up not buying the game.

Daniel Radianu

Dec 11, 2011
minnull said:
They look random and not attached because they were written from left to right, the opposite of how Arabic is supposed to be written :) Otherwise, it's actually spelled correctly.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
Country
Australia
Buggier than a big bug, bugging out in a dune buggy and the following frame had me sniggering loudly at work XD

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Threadomancy go!

Okay I finally got this from gamefly, cause I had to see the train wreck. this was also AFTER the massive patch, so I admit my perspective is colored.

Post Patch though i gotta admit, this was not the shitload of fuck that I expect the AVGN to be reminiscing about 10 years from now. The level "The Raven" was out of context and annoying as hell, I could have done without it (and never intend on playing it again) but the rest of the game was passable as an Aliens game.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
I just don't understand why they didn't just have you play as Ripley.The generic idea here of playing either the aliens or marines seems kinda dull.Let me play as Ripley or the Alien Queen and you can shut up and take my money.Are we so afraid of male gamers who won't ever play as a woman that that even means chucking out the baddest ass female protagonist of all time? Or perhaps it was a likeness / rights issue? Anyhoo for me an Aliens game without Ripley is no fun at all.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
I only signed back in for the first time in a couple of years just to say that when I got the game it wasn't so bad. Not trolling. For a fiver, it was good enough.