Zero Punctuation: Aliens: Colonial Marines

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Every few years you need a game so horrid, so broken yet so reasonable sold that it will be remembered. And Aliens wins this title for this round. I think there is no gamer out there that thinks this title is any good. Though I can see the Co-op being played online for laughs.

Seriously.. so it makes us laugh. that is worth something to right? At least it is utterly terrible.. but you shall remember it being so horrible bad indeed. Unlike some other titles that are just mediocre..

So I put this one nicely in that lovely list of memorable moments in gaming. Okay it can't beat Superman 64 but that is only beaten by ET so. Come on.. this is nice in this box.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
masticina said:
Every few years you need a game so horrid, so broken yet so reasonable sold that it will be remembered. And Aliens wins this title for this round. I think there is no gamer out there that thinks this title is any good. Though I can see the Co-op being played online for laughs.

Seriously.. so it makes us laugh. that is worth something to right? At least it is utterly terrible.. but you shall remember it being so horrible bad indeed. Unlike some other titles that are just mediocre..

So I put this one nicely in that lovely list of memorable moments in gaming. Okay it can't beat Superman 64 but that is only beaten by ET so. Come on.. this is nice in this box.
Honestly I don't think the game itself is terrible enough to be a memorable moment in gaming, but similar to Mass Effect 3's ending it is the proof that a developer lied to its consumers that may give Colonial Marines a spot in gaming history.

I didn't get nearly as many bugs as people have posted here, but in some way I kinda wished I had, at least it would have made it more entertaining. All I played was an extremely mediocre game that from what we had been shown prior should have been great. And as a big fan of the Alien franchise I felt more disappointed than I should have.

On the bright side, ditching this game made me return to AVP2 for PC, which still has a small but decent online playerbase (unlike AVP2010). Then I remembered why of all the countless games I've played I rank AVP2 2nd best of all time.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
I had the BEST glitch in history.
The BEST.

The place I had (verbally) preordered the game from, over the phone, apparently forgot to put it into the system.

So I ended up not buying the game.

Daniel Radianu

Dec 11, 2011
minnull said:
I love how the arabic text at the end is just a bunch of arabic letters strung together without even being properly attached to make words. That pretty much sums up this game.
They look random and not attached because they were written from left to right, the opposite of how Arabic is supposed to be written :) Otherwise, it's actually spelled correctly.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Buggier than a big bug, bugging out in a dune buggy and the following frame had me sniggering loudly at work XD

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Threadomancy go!

Okay I finally got this from gamefly, cause I had to see the train wreck. this was also AFTER the massive patch, so I admit my perspective is colored.

Post Patch though i gotta admit, this was not the shitload of fuck that I expect the AVGN to be reminiscing about 10 years from now. The level "The Raven" was out of context and annoying as hell, I could have done without it (and never intend on playing it again) but the rest of the game was passable as an Aliens game.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
I just don't understand why they didn't just have you play as Ripley.The generic idea here of playing either the aliens or marines seems kinda dull.Let me play as Ripley or the Alien Queen and you can shut up and take my money.Are we so afraid of male gamers who won't ever play as a woman that that even means chucking out the baddest ass female protagonist of all time? Or perhaps it was a likeness / rights issue? Anyhoo for me an Aliens game without Ripley is no fun at all.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
I only signed back in for the first time in a couple of years just to say that when I got the game it wasn't so bad. Not trolling. For a fiver, it was good enough.