Zero Punctuation: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Dec 14, 2009
Vicioussama said:
Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.
So edgy and cool.

I bet you get all the ladies, with your non-conformist, radical ideas.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
i liked The Prisoner reference, even though I read that joke on another website weeks ago. :p

I do wonder why he claims to dislike games he says himself are addictive though, he says "Play until you get bored", which is weird because if you stop when you're bored then you're obviously not bored beforehand. But oh well, funny jokes I suppose.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Too late for me, Yahtzee, I'm already hooked on this game despite the objections of my higher brain functions. Freedom would normally come for me in about 7 million bells, when my house is fully upgraded, and gaining debt becomes an impossibility... except Animal Crossing: New Leaf gave you that whole mayoring thing to do, so technically you can put yourself in debt endlessly to the donation gyroid in the name of new and interesting ways to spruce up the town.

I will point out that, if you do have more than an hour to burn on Animal Crossing: New Leaf a day (something which will cause your animal neighbors to berate you) you can actually go to a nice tropical island where you can go on tours in order to ignore what the ex-mayor tour guide directs you to do in order to reap a great infinite fruity bounty at about the rate of about 100,000 bells an hour. So there's not really a hour limit on what you can do each day. Somewhat important omission, that... well, insofar as recommending grinding can be consider valid.

Also, that you cold pass the beautiful town ordinance that makes weeds cease to exist, so you don't have to worry about too much guilt about leaving your animals to fend for themselves for a few months, at least not as much as the previous installments. (I imagine my City Folks down is a travesty by now.)

Also, you should have used == for that equivalence check at 1:37, but maybe this is the final pathetic nitpick that makes the nitpicks in the last two paragraph considerably less valid by simply existing.

Though this review did cause me to wonder if I can find a good Cooking Mama on the Nintendo eStore...

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Vicioussama said:
Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.
No, no, see, the main character is a human, and sheep are villagers. Well, sheep and dogs and birds, but the main point is that the one enjoying the game is a human, and the sheep can only be NPCs.

Longhorn

Mar 27, 2013
Vicioussama said:
Sheep? Really? You'd think that sheep wouldn't be able to afford a 3DS and Animal Crossing, let alone actually enjoy the game. I mean, they don't even have hands. How on Earth are they going to play it?

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Of all the noteworthy critics I expected to enjoy playing Cooking Mama, I would never have guessed in a thousand eternal years that Yahtzee would be one of them.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
McMarbles said:
Vicioussama said:
I suppose we should all at least be grateful you didn't use "sheeple".

OT: This review came two and a half weeks too late for me. Damn you, you filthy raccoon, why can't I stop buying house upgrades? And why am I the only one paying for my fountain? It'll benefit everyone!
Or that he told us to "WAKE UP" as well. But riddle me this: do the people who think like that actually get suckered in to believing a different fabricated reality?
wombat_of_war said:
Mr. Q said:
Embrace Animal Crossing: New Leaf! Animal Crossing is the new religion! Debt is your life! Worship the raccoon mobster!

Gotta love a Zero Punctuation episode when its referencing The Prisoner and portrays a raccoon as a leg-breaking mobster. XD
tell me about it. now i want "the prisoner" game... FEAR THE BEACH BALL !!!
Remember the Simpsons tribute to the Prisoner? "Why did you think a big balloon would stop him?" "Shut up! That's why."

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
I don't understand. This is good, but the last of us bad.
I do understand people have different tastes from me but I don't see how something like this is so popular.
Sigh... I must be getting old and cranky.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
So, you don't play Animal Crossing? Animal Crossing plays you?

This is not really my type of game. It seems like the older AC games were more fitting more me. I'd rather be some random dude just minding his own business than a random dude who has to look after everyone else's business.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Vicioussama said:
Wow you're edgy. Skinner box lol, what game isn't a skinner box in the long run? I mean honestly.

On topic; I've never played Animal Crossing. Watched a friend play it and it didn't seem appealing but I'm sure if I played it I'd be hooked. No money for that game anyhow.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
I remember loving the Gamecube version and playing it almost every day for nearly a year, then I ended up buying the DS version and eventually Wii version but didn't actually get around to playing either too much and sorta forgot about them. I'd go and try them out again but honestly I'm a little scared at what I might find in my wake.

Animal Crossing is really the only game I can think of that makes you feel genuinely guilty for not playing.
I feel the same, I stopped playing new Leaf because I took my vita on the go with me over my 3DS thanks to Ninja Gaiden on ps plus. Im too scared to go back. Being the mayor doesn't help that guilt either.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The last line gave me a hearty chuckle.

Now on the game at hand, I really don't get the appeal of the game. It seems like a game similar to farm ville with daily quests. Am I missing something? I'm already doing that in WoW, but out of routine and nothing else.

Now that I think about it, it seems to be using the same methods to keep people coming back; the whole "wait until tommorow" part just prolonging the game's life tremendously.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Vicioussama said:
I don't think you've had enough replies yet.

Actually, I think you're partly right here, but you're slightly off. Yes, Animal Crossing has multiple achievement mechanics built in, so it's as a pretty accomplished skinner's box. However, I don't think it's a terrible one because the game is actually quite laid back. You don't feel a pressing need to Get! That! Next! House! Upgrade! Right! Now!, and this makes it actually significantly less potent than something like World of Warcraft. In Animal Crossing can relax, you can take your time, the fun actually is in the journey and not getting your hands on the next McGuffin or level.

So, is it a Skinner's box? Sure.

Is it a terrible Skinner's box? In my definition, no, I've seen much worse.

Is it a terrible Skinner's box for sheeple? Well, now, was that really necessary? As a person who is generally nonconformist in mannerisms who is nonetheless playing this game, I think I'm proof enough it's not exclusively for sheeple. You probably should have listened to the friendly voice in your head that suggested maybe you've over-extrapolated to the point where you're being a bit of a jerk now before you hit the submit button, instead of telling everybody who read this thread who also plays Animal Crossing that they're sheeple.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I've never played the game myself, personally. Heck, I didn't even know how popular the game was until I was at an event and saw a large group of people huddled around in a corner with their faces glued to their 3DS screens checking the prices of their turnips for the day. I wish I was kidding. A friend of mine tried to explain the game to me, but I didn't find it all that exciting. However, the game seems infectious for whatever reason but I'll avoid it as it doesn't catch my interest. Still, I'd show great concern if Animal Crossing players walked around chanting "One of Us"

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
wasneeplus said:
The Bends is a great album, isn't it?
I have to say it, I don't know why it gets so much praise. Most songs from it are above average alt-rock songs, nothing too spectacular. Kid A is the great one.

On topic: I'm waiting for some more retrospectives, hopefully we'll get some more soon enough.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
All I got from this is that I'm better off giving The Sims 3 another go. Same unexplainably addictive qualities, zero time constraints.

Plus ALL THE EXPANSHUNS! I TOTALLY WANT 3D MODELS APPROVED BY KATY PERRY!

Blah, fuck EA. Seriously.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
New leaf. You bought new leaf. After saying that Pokemon was for mad people. And writing THIS [http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/reviews/animalcrossing.htm].

Criticizing a game for collection, and getting another that does collection, in a bigger way, where the collection has no context.

You confuse me sometimes, Croshaw.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
mew4ever23 said:
New leaf. You bought new leaf. After saying that Pokemon was for mad people. And writing THIS [http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/reviews/animalcrossing.htm].

Criticizing a game for collection, and getting another that does collection, in a bigger way, where the collection has no context.

You confuse me sometimes, Croshaw.
...reviewing is his job, you know. This game is very, very popular, so it makes sense that he would review it. We may never know if he would have brought it for himself.

And you don't always need context to produce a fun experience. Most of the time you just need a feeling of accomplishment...and sometimes not even that, if the collecting is fun and rewarding in it's own little way.