Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed 3

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Sadly I agree with Yahtzee, so much faffing so little assassinating. I want to finish it but it's just so damn boring! I'm in sequence 8/13 I think and I've killed two people, TWO! It's almost as if a couple of months before the game was due the creators went oh yeah oops there was a supposed to be a story in this game. It's sad because I love the series but it keeps letting me down :(

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Beyond not rushing it out (To which I attribute some of the glitchiness like soldiers LOSing through walls and the amount of mistimed dialogue bits), how I'd approach some of the issues I found with it.

I ignored the feather collecting because eh, theres some folks who enjoy that for whatever and I didn't find it a particular bother to ignore (The map actually lets you hide things this time around)

(Seriously, theres a bucketful of spoilers in here of varying significance)
Charles Lee
-Either dump him as the villain or for gods sake, give him some more screen time to develop a personality. He goes from Haythams b**** to cartoonishly evil (and somehow becoming the final boss). Personally I'd have left out Achilles wall, or a ? on who the Grand Master was with some vague hints that it might be Adams or Washington that would have been red herrings setting up a surprise turn of Haytham on Connor when they start working together.

Iron out Connor's Near-schizophrenia and Bizarre motivations.
-He's all cheery and helpful with the random homesteaders, even on first meeting. Much laughing and back slapping to be had. Ten minutes later, the patriots want a favor and he's like "I DONT CARE, YOU TELL ME NOW WHERE THIS MAN IS" and smacking their hands away when they offer a friendly handshake in greeting.

-Similarly, he meets CL, and assumes he's responsible for the concurrent burning of his village and his mothers death. He advocates going to war, and is mouthy enough that the wise woman lets him talk to the magic eight ball, and it tells him to seek out Achilles to stop the men who did this. Okay then.
He gets his training, but then suddenly decides to ignore Achilles (and by proxy, the eight ball) and not kill the Templars. Okay, maybe he's not a blind peon. This backfires on him, teaching him you do need to kill some people to stop them. Then the latter half of the game seems to keep going on and on and on and on with him arguing about this with Achilles. He consistently keeps reverting back to a failed mentality instead of listening to the advice of people who started him on his quest WHO HAVE BEEN PROVEN RIGHT.

Cut out Faulkner and have Achilles be the grounded captain of the Aquila. Have the Aquila be the home base instead of the Homestead (Dump that map space into new missions or another town).
-Faulkner's prettymuch a tired cliche (Theres been how many PotC's now?) and gets something like six lines anyways. Achilles is more fleshed out, but could do with some more screen time. You could still have the homestead missions after a fashion by having to get the lumber to fix the ship, and some pelts to set up a front as trader . Additional missions to help Blacksmith/Doctor etc in cities would net you new weapon upgrades and such.

Start with only your tomahawk/bow/1 hidden blade. (And I consider Sequence 6 the proverbial start point of the game proper)
-And unlock the rest through missions. Rather then start with your crazy gadget loadout, earn them off the side missions (Rather then just money and clothing options). You can still earn money to buy consumables and so on, but put some gameplay rewards in.

Make lowering notoriety more difficult.
-Rather then just pressing a magic button on the wall (metaphorically), have notoriety decrease over time very gradually, or sped up by performing Trader activity (your presumed cover identity as above). Farther on in the game it should be very hard to lower though as you reach greater levels of infamy, adding to a difficulty curve.

"Area not available during mission" Get rid of it.
Assassinations should be "There's a guy here (at such and such a time even), Step to it, sonny". Put a time constraint on it if you want to discourage excessive dawdling. Leave the approach and reconnaissance open to the player. Don't handwalk them 90% of the way to it, then tell them exactly how to go about it with "Full Sync Objectives". Departures from this should be rare, not comprise 9/11 of your main storyline assassinations.

The actual straight up horrid part I would highlight is the incredibly anticlimactic and silly battle with Haytham (Press Counter to win!) after he gets the most characterization and buildup of any of the enemies (and possibly any of the characters). They set up this whole Luke vs Vader epic style clash between two proper assassins, and just throw it out in the window in what amounts to a dumb minigame. (Technically they do this with Desmond/Cross too, but at this point no one really expects anything out of the framing story)

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Korzack said:
Assassin's Creed Ken Dodd version?
I'd buy that.
Exactly what I thought.....

Although Ubisoft would probably find some way to turn him into a mopy depressive with no personality somehow.......

Ticklestick assassinations!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Ed130 said:
So the game should be called Farmville: 1780 instead of Assassins Creed.

I liked the AC series (to the point of dressing up as Altair at conventions) due to the assassinations.

I guess I'll go back to playing Dishonoured.
I just went back and played ACII, you know to play an actually Assassin's Creed game!

Oh and has everyone noticed a disturbing turn in gaming this year?
Seriously alot of the big AAA games this year they all seem to have depressing endings!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
putowtin said:
Ed130 said:
So the game should be called Farmville: 1780 instead of Assassins Creed.

I liked the AC series (to the point of dressing up as Altair at conventions) due to the assassinations.

I guess I'll go back to playing Dishonoured.
I just went back and played ACII, you know to play an actually Assassin's Creed game!

Oh and has everyone noticed a disturbing turn in gaming this year?
Seriously alot of the big AAA games this year they all seem to have depressing endings!
ACII is in-fact on my list to be replayed for that very reason.

Yeah, several AAA's do have depressing endings. Then again so did Half Life 2 EP2, Dragon Age 2 etc.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Ed130 said:
putowtin said:
Ed130 said:
Snippy
ACII is in-fact on my list to be replayed for that very reason.

Yeah, several AAA's do have depressing endings. Then again so did Half Life 2 EP2, Dragon Age 2 etc.
But both of your examples have sequels to fix that (well Half Life will when Valve get on it!)
Mass Effect 3 was the end (of that storyline) And Assassin's Creed III was...
the end of Desmond's story

It seems to me that gaming companies are taking the easy way out...
"End of Desmond/Shepard/(other character that I can't think of right this moment)story? Kill em' off!"

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
A big problem I had with ASS CREED 3 is that conner is boring and lacks character.

There's not much creed in ASS CREED 3 pertaining to conner's story, the ASS CREED "nothing is true, everything is permitted" wasn't mentioned ONCE!

The other problem is that ASS CREED 3 is pretty much a rail adventure, regarding conner we can accept since it's already happened according to it's universe. But Desmond, it's real time and we should have more freedom in our choice, and we all know that that's a lie if you beat the game. We control nothing.

Another thing that I've notice is an early plot hole, Haythan fucked the indian woman but we still get to see his side of the story. That is impossible according to ASS CREED's logics, we conceived and our genetic memories moved on to our offspring as showed on ASS CREED brotherhood.

I don't really want to mention all the glitches I had with the game since I've already said my piece on the official review.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
*Contently sighs*
Another episode of Zero Punctuation, another week of Life I can trudge through.
Thank you Yahtzee, for giving me the will to continue.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
AC1 sucked balls, it was the most repetitive thing since buttering bread and painting fences.

The series only got better and better after that. Yes fair enough ac3 was a bit of a history lesson which is gonna make most of england hate it and anyone under the age of 21 due to the worldwide infection of ADHD.

"oh look at at me all i wanna do is repeatedly stab different people in the exact same way".

Because that is so much fun.

Anyway, first review i dislike from yahtzee. I want it to win GOTY but we all know whats going to take that apple.

Anyway bring on hitman absolution. Maybe his multitude of guns might fix no stabby stabby withdrawal symptoms.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
How can anyone take this guy seriously when he drones on and on about military shooters being generic and praises the games of old like doom yet trashes serious sam 3 and bulletstorm for DOING WHAT HE WANTS!? He's like a spoiled rich child screaming for attention hating everything popular when he gets everything handed to him as is.

He hates EVERYTHING simply for the sake of hating it. I'm so sick of him, he reminds me of a spoiled self entitled brat who thinks every game should be made to his specific tastes for the WEEK before he changes his mind again by getting distracted and entralled by something else more shiny. It's even worse he uses the old school thing to garner favoritism from his fans and then turns around and trashes the games like them for lack of innovation to garner favoritism from the OTHER crowd.

Your not an old school gamer yahtzee, your not even a gamer. Your everything that is WRONG with the industry. And I've had enough of you and I have no idea how you managed to get this far with your web of lies.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
It seems they learned nothing from the last 2 games, instead of expanding the free-running, stabbing and stealth... they added boring game mechanics and set the game in the most boring part of history with uninteresting assassin character... its painful to see that even future Desmond got a better storyline.

Zeckt said:
How can anyone take this guy seriously when he drones on and on about military shooters being generic and praises the games of old like doom yet trashes serious sam 3 and bulletstorm for DOING WHAT HE WANTS!? He's like a spoiled rich child screaming for attention hating everything popular when he gets everything handed to him as is.

He hates EVERYTHING simply for the sake of hating it. I'm so sick of him, he reminds me of a spoiled self entitled brat who thinks every game should be made to his specific tastes for the WEEK before he changes his mind again by getting distracted and entralled by something else more shiny.
He actually liked Serious Sam 3 and some parts of Bulletstorm, except that Bulletstorm added boring elements that only hampered the old school shooter formula. Like Jam smearing on the screen, cover based combat, regeneration health and having to press a extra key to move fast... and that Serious Sam 3 didn't do much to revolutionize the genre like Painkiller did. Anyways, any guy who holds Painkiller up as a great example of a FPS must have good taste.
If you don't enjoy him ripping games apart, than perhaps critique isn't your form of entertainment... and perhaps you should put fingers in your ears and live on mars.

James Hammond

Apr 5, 2010
This game feels like it has taken inspiration from Lionhead studios.

ie: "you can, but why would you want to" side quests.

Robbo

Beer <3
Nov 9, 2009
The thing that was the funniest about this review for me was the end...
Hey strange hooded knife-covered man on a bench did you happen to see a strange hooded knife-covered man run through here

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
I stopped with the series after finishing the second game. If a game is going to hold my hand the whole way along and not offer any challenge...well, then that has stopped being a game to me and borders on work.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
It seems like Yahtzee is implying that Americans made AC3.

I know America is the bestest country evar and have invented almost everything great in the last 600 years, but we gotta give this one to Canadian and France.
Also: stop stealing our bit. Only Americans get to steal credit for things. We don't need help.

And I had no idea that so many people had seen Brain Dead. Nice.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
It was fun for a while but once I got through with the main story I didn't really care about the game. Still find myself playing brotherhood for some reason. Still see multiplayer as pointless and repetitive, probably why Yahtzee never bothered to mention it.