Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed: Revelations

serenityzero

Dec 24, 2008
Can someone please tell me if there are any ACR spoilers in this review? I've played Brotherhood but I haven't gotten to ACR yet. Thanks :)

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Reaching a 'ciritcal' juncture in the story and stringing it out for as long as possible, only going for that one big lurch to save the franchise when it's almost finished circling the rim it's been put into is an aincent marketing tradition, and I'm sorry to see it finally being applied to video games. ... Not including Mario and the majority of fighting game franchises because they've been doind that for as long as anyone.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee, I agree with every single word said in that review. You nailed it spot-on.

And I hope you can stomach the first few hours of Skyward Sword, because it supposedly gets better afterwards.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I like the series, but Revelation has the same problem Brotherhood had: they are not relevant, and the story is not relevant because of it. While Ezio's story in AC2 was epic that lasted over 20 years of his life, Brotherhood story can be summarized with 3 bulletpoints and, since its drawn for 15-20 hours, it feels paper thin.

Also, I can't believe I seems to be the only one that noticed that Ezio has to visit the middle east division of the assassins to learn about using bombs. Talking about unfortunate political implications...

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
When are Ubisoft going to make an assassin's creed in victorian london, where you play jack the ripper, and frame people for crimes so they get deported to australia.
Also, steampunk technology would be pretty fun.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Thanks for the spoiler >.< It's a yearly franchise, I don't have the energy to play them every year.
Other than that, funny one!
serenityzero said:
Can someone please tell me if there are any ACR spoilers in this review? I've played Brotherhood but I haven't gotten to ACR yet. Thanks :)
There's a big one for brotherhood, but not for revelations as far as I can tell. Some general things, but nothing specific.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I'm actually fine with an excuse plot to let us adventuring in exotic settings. Too bad we're stuck with Ezio's timeline, but they're at least trying to keep things fresh with the Tower Defense and Portal sections and everything.
The downside to this is that the game starts feeling bloated, but if you're stuck with the order to make a sequel and the old one is already pretty well received, what else you gonna do to make it seem like a game worth your money? Hopefully AC3 will make a skip in technology again.

I really liked the upgrade from AC1 to AC2, but Brotherhood felt like a huge letdown. Story-wise much more mundane than the predecessor, gameplay wise not a lot of interesting changes, it felt like more of the same in a less compelling context.

After playing Revelations I try to ignore Brotherhood or think of it as a Beta. Revelations had a much more interesting story, setting and new gameplay additions - tho the hookblade seems pretty unnecessary for almost all its uses. I guess it's like an Assassin's walking cane when they get too old to grab ledges themselves or maneuver around people or kick their legs out of the way or steal a purse.
Story-wise it still can't reach punching the pope, but at least you get to see the closure to Altair's story, that was more interesting to me than killing the dudes in Brotherhood.

UbiSoft is infamous for stretching out franchises - pretty much killed Rayman - so I actually hope they are gonna do the Templar's side of things yet. I mean, do we know for a fact that the Templar-ruled present is that much more terrible than what the Assassins could've offered? Templars could argue that hivemind Earth could finally complete achievements made impossible by personal quarrels and bickering, elevating human social structures instead of just technology for once.

I'd really like it if they could show the other side of this struggle. Even 16 sarcastically recapped the Assassins are the good guys and the Templars the bad guys, like it's ever this simple. And especially in recent games a lot of Templars actually come off as well-intentioned extremists rather than pure assholes.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Eh, the fans will keep fanboying and the haters will keep hating. I guess this game just isn't one that will change that. So not entirely a bad thing it sounds like to me

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...I would honestly play that last game he described.

Give Assassin's Creed a sort of Bubba Ho-tep vibe :p

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
serenityzero said:
If you already know which arcs are going to end and which are not, you'll be fine. He doesn't make a take on specific moments.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Yahtzee laid out all my issues with this game. In the main plot, Ezio has to track down some lore Altair stashed away, screams "tacked on sequel" but at least it's succinct and cogent. The Altair flashbacks are kind of interesting, the Desmond memory sequences far less so, but at least they're filling in the backstory or building up to the next game's finale.

But everything else makes no sense. The Constantinople Assassins are doing fine, and have tacit support from the ruling authority. Why do they suddenly hand over leadership of their whole operation to Ezio, a foreigner? I get they respect his exploits as a brother Assassin, and would definitely seek his advice, but that doesn't mean all the locals should suddenly start following a guy who doesn't know the local terrain yet or how half their gear works. And why does Ezio care so much about Ottoman court politics when he should be looking for Altair's keys?

Basically, the dev team wanted to recycle most of the neighbourhood-capturing, city-rebuilding, assassin's guild managing gameplay of Brotherhood, without giving any convincing plot rationale why Ezio would be involved in any of these things in a foreign city.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
From the wikipage: "Asked about future of the series, Sébastien Puel from Ubisoft said that "[...] we could do 35 of these [Assassin's Creed games]."

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed#Future[/link]

So you might want to prepare yourself for plenty of faffing about, Yahtzee.
They're only supposed to do only 3 games with desmond(only one more), so that's a plus, I guess? Unless they mean 35 expansion packs, that is.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I have to say I somehow missed the plot of this game... normally Yahzee tells us what the game is about... now? Tower Defense, Recruitment, and killing some people... is there more meaning?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Can you please stop with the spoilers? Or at least stop spoiling things before you give us a warning? I mean, luckily the ones you've done that for are ones I've already played or didn't care about but it's kind of annoying...

Other than that, I agree with you on the fact that they finally needed to stop with this sequel to a sequel nonsense because it really does seem like they're only doing it to squeeze out as much money as they can while not adding anything substantial.

Galaxy Roll

Jul 28, 2011
My main issue with the game is how busy Ezio's pockets are getting. I tend to keep hitting the complete wrong buttons and never get to make the most out of anything. Of course, I get over it since you don't HAVE to use any of it.

I macrod the Hookblade, Medicine, Throwing Knives, and Vlad's sword, and I occasionally open up Ezio hammerspace pockets to use the poison darts and possibly money toss. Makes me feel good and vanilla. Though I do enjoy saving the Arrow Storm for when I feel sufficiently badass, it gets annoying when I'm trying to lock onto someone and keep hitting the call assassins button instead. I haven't even bothered with bombs at all.

I try my hardest to play stealthy, but the game keeps insisting that I run in guns blazing to everything, which pretty much sums up the Assassin's Creed series progression in general.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
This is just my opinion, but Revelations really felt like an expansion than a sequel. That being said, I do like Constantinople, and the few new characters that were introduced (admittedly, I didn't play too far into the game). The one nitpick I have with it, and the same goes for Brotherhood, is that the game overdoes it with the side-content. I feel like a magpie, grasping out to the next shiny thing.

But that's not say the game doesn't limit itself: Do a few of these side-quests, but you have to do a story quest to continue further. The bomb-crafting didn't feel like an important addition, since I just stuck to using the smoke and distraction bombs. I got far enough into the game to where I can just call for an aerial arrow-strike. And that tower-defense thing is really dumb, if you ask me.

Did anyone else find the redesign to Desmond jarring?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
kickassfrog said:
When are Ubisoft going to make an assassin's creed in victorian london, where you play jack the ripper, and frame people for crimes so they get deported to australia.
Also, steampunk technology would be pretty fun.
Ouch! I know I like to suggest the Assassins are evil but that takes the biscuit

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I sort of like Assassins Creed but it is getting way to many I've hardly finished AC 2... but it seems to get staler by the new one coming out.. but I can see how he calls it half games...

But funny as always..
Not the new design though I'm still trying to survive all the bloody white....

Edit: Yea I would like them to make AC in china/india/england/wherever but not the classic Renaissance places.. or atleast Paris ;-P