Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I don't care what Yahztee says, Bejeweled's Creed would effin' rock!
I was thinking more along the lines of Hexic Creed or, Tetri-Creed. Bejeweled Creed would be pretty sweet though, especially after Templants v Zombsassins.

---

Looks like another entry I can safely skip. Too bad too, I genuinely liked the first one and can still have bits of fun with the second. Never bothered with Brotherhood though because who needs multi-player? As for Revelations, who needs Tower Defense? Sure it's skippable but it's still there.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Yay a fun review again! I doubt I'll play Ass Ass Revelations anytime soon, but it's nice to hear a little bit of that ol' fast-talking extended metaphor-making Yahtzee again.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
Vault101 said:
Magnicon said:
Played the game for just over 3 hours then had to uninstall it. Was my first AC game and was shocked at how bad it was after all the praise through the years. Its no wonder Ubisoft is losing so many sales on PC.

From Dust
M&MH6
Anno 2070
AC:R

Played all 4 of these this year from Ubisoft, and they all had major shortcomings. They simply do not make a good product for the PC and consumers are showing them that. When will they learn.
mabye you should have started with the first one...or at least AC2

or I would say that if you were complaining about not understanding whats going on..which your not so fair enough
No complaints about story. Seemed fine given I didn't know any previous stuff.

Simple matter of gameplay/feature quality. Seemed like there was plenty of potential. I rather enjoy those kinds of games. At this point I just think Ubisoft has been dialing it in for too long now.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Glad that Yahtzee reviewed this one. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan, and the points he brought up were both fair and funny.

I had all sorts of complaints about AC: Revelations while I was playing it - it was too similar to Brotherhood, the tower defenses weren't that much fun, and there was way too much stuff to spend money on, but it took a very long time for said money to accrue. At the end of the day, though, I still got over 30 hours of entertainment from it. As always, it had excellent controls, an intriguing story, and a few really breathtaking set pieces.

Would I necessarily want this every year? Nah, I'd rather that Ubisoft spend two years per game and really deliver a polished, refined experience. But if AC is destined to be a yearly cash cow, Ubisoft could really do a lot worse than Revelations.

Furthermore, I liked the Embers animation that came with the game. Does anyone else want to play as Shao Yun and kill Templars in China now?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Samus Aran but a man said:
If the next game was set during the French Revolution, would it work?
interesting Idea but persoanlly I would find that too similar to AC2 and brotherhood

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Step backwards in the series. Still interested in Ezio's conclusion as well as Altier's life, but really only thing I really found advanced was the hook blade. It was essentially like the gauntlet but you had zip lines and could evade those annoying soldier road blocks.

Bombs. were pointless because I found my self only make 3 basic types for the slots and most the time I didn't use it unless I was going for 100% sync. Tower defense was the stupidest idea they could've implemented. As Yahtzee stated you only have to do it once and I beat the game on normal with all my towers burning.

Though for future reference take note from Batman Arkham City, don't take away all our gear it's just annoying.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i still like the games a lot. the story is interesting and it explains more to the story of ezio and altaïr. but i do agree, it is pretty much the same, but at least a mechanic that works. but i sure do hope that part 3 (or how ever the next part will be called) will be in some way different.
adding new stuff does not mean its a new game. the bombs you can use, i never used them. i used the same old method as in every other AC game. it works just fine.

im not sure if he has played the xbox version or the pc version but at least the pc version has some glitches and minor bugs. some of the people just appear in front of you from nowhere and at times some of the roof guards were half way in the roof, that you could see only the top part of the body.
also if you try to achieve a full sync, this dint work either. one mission you had to sneak inside a compound without being detected. the full sync is not to kill anyone. i managed the mission successfully but it shows me 50% sync. i dint kill anyone, so wtf??

@ marshall honorof
i agree with you. the tower defenses were not much fun. i only had to do it twice bc i dint had enough fully trained assassins yet. i still took my time and also ended up having over 25h of fun playing this game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
me while playing Revelations: "who does Desmond look more and more like in this game??? huh....I really can't put my finger on it"

good grief Yahtzee LOL. I suppose Adam Sandler is kind of where I was getting at but...oh whatever.

I actually HATED that little tower defense mini game because even while I was bribing heralds to keep my notoriety down (and subsequently pickpocketing the money right back), it would still happen inevitably whenever I took over a Templar den and well...after failing twice in the SAME den I got a tip online how to do it most efficiently...ah well whatever it was aight after that lol

but yes, I LOVE this series...but probably only because I've only bought 2 and 2.5, having skipped over 1 and just Redbox'd 2.75 for a few days (plus I got 2.5 like 20% off). I mean I did really enjoy how Revelations polished everything up, and I'm now kinda...glad they expanded on Ezio's story really, but okay let's get #3 for real

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
putowtin said:
themutantlizard said:
i hope they do an Assasins creed game in the future starring Desmond. if it had some elements of Hitman it could be good
I think thats the general idea for the next game, as it's the conclusion of Desmond's story.

OT great review as always

^LOL I love your avatar here :p

anyway, I would rather play an Assassin's Creed game in Japan than France for sake of variety (and boy would it be different...)...something that would really help the series even tho I've really enjoyed it thus far

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Well at least it seems like Ubisoft is finally taking the series in a new direction what with that "where should the next Assassins Creed take place?" poll they made a while back.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
I'm a HUGE AssCreed fan(my fav game series along with Prince of Persia - yes, like Yahtzee I too was a flying squirrel in another lifetime) and while AC:R isn't anything earthshattering, it's not a bad game at all considering it was done in what, one year?

And I can't believe that after Brotherhood people expected Revelations to be even better. AC 1 and AC2 are the only proper games of the series, 3 and 4 are extended DLC's, even though I liked Brotherhood and Revelations as well. The problem with the latter two is that they don't really expand the story, they use the charisma of Ezio's character and put him basically anywhere as long it's suitably exotic, so they tend to drag out a story from a tiny lump of info(teasing as you go along), only to say at the end - sequel sucka.

I LOVE this series but Ubisoft needs to adress certain issues:

-making the game challenging - look, challenge flies out the window when Ezio can do kill streaks, numerous counters, leap over assailants while hooking them, throwing bombs to both kill,poision and distract opponents, offering players numerous ways to take out targets at range(crossbow,gun,poison,throwing knives). I'm not in the OMG YOU HAVE TO BE STEALTHY AT ALL TIMES camp of the AssCreed fans but I want that sense of urgency you had in AC1 where a guard spotting you meant you had to run like crazy and hiding spots weren't as galore as in latter AC games. Immersion flies out the window when you know you can take on THE WHOLE CITY GUARD at once. I know Ezio is the Italian Superman but come on.

-gives us actual AC games, not extended DLC in another locale. I bought both Brohood and AC:R on day one but the story always teased me instead of actually expanding whereas in AC2 we had a significant character arc, multiple locales(both firenze and venezia looked STUNNING and even the secondary locations like forli and your uncle's villa looked cool) and while the ending also screamed sequel, you felt like you had achieved something.

-stop it with the f**king multiplayer. AssCreed is NOT a multiplayer type of game. Its main focus is on SINGLEPLAYER and while the sneaky multiplayer is somewhat unique in the online world, it does not the game make. It's a waste of time and resources that could be better put to use in the thing that defines the game, the STORY IN THE SINGLEPLAYER mode.

If AssCreed 3(a proper AC game supposedly) gets released in 2012, then it will probably be another DLC'ish title. I love this series and it has great potential but Ubisoft needs to stop milking it and start expanding it. I want another character that had the same growth of Ezio but not in three games released in 3 freaking years. If they had lumped BroHood and AC:R into one game and released it in late 2011 it would have made a far better game.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
John the Gamer said:
From the wikipage: "Asked about future of the series, Sébastien Puel from Ubisoft said that "[...] we could do 35 of these [Assassin's Creed games]."

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed#Future[/link]

So you might want to prepare yourself for plenty of faffing about, Yahtzee.
They're only supposed to do only 3 games with desmond(only one more), so that's a plus, I guess? Unless they mean 35 expansion packs, that is.
35 games...

1 gamea year...

35 YEARS??? will it ever end?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Qitz said:
Heh. Gotta love the crossed out Istanbul sign.

Think you needed to add a few more Faff's in there though.
I seriously could not stop laughing at that and immediately thought of the song by They Might Be Giants.

XD

Istanbul not Constantinople

<youtube=ulsloBRDFzA&feature=related>

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
That analogy at the beginning sums up how I feel about Assassin's Creed perfectly. It seems remarkable at first, but then you realize that everything that gave it such a strong first impression is actually all it has to offer.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
tehweave said:
You didn't mention that you play as Altair.

But... That doesn't matter because the game wasn't very good.

Let's see MORE assassins, Ubisoft! Ezio was cool, Altair was kinda cool, but we need more characters. Let's delve into some random assassin circa year 0, or how about 1920's Chicago? Or how about modern-day? Or... SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES THESE TWO.

Game 1: Altair
Game 2: Ezio
Game 3: Ezio again
Game 4: Ezio with special guest appearance by Altair.
SOMETHING ELSE. ANYTHING.
I'm with this. They had that great side story with the Comic Book that detailed the Assassin in Stalin-Era Russia. So cool. Even jumping around the other ancestors during Desmond's levels would have been great.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I agree with everything thing he said but despite that I still enjoyed it. I just skipped all the faffing about and did the story which was better than the one in Brotherhood IMO. This and Brotherhood both had really promising begins but seemed to have no real direction after that. I hope the next one goes back to being more like II which was amazing. And, please Ubisoft, can we wrap up with thing with Desmond next game because you're really drawing it out now.