Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Heh. No, that's stupid. God you're dumb.

And while I find this music tolerable, considering how few people like it I would've hoped that the start of 2009 would be the time to bring in something better. Not that I really dared to hope for a second that would happen.

And it's true that I don't think Yahtzee has so much as once mentioned LittleBigPlanet. I don't have a PS3 and wouldn't touch that thing even if I did, but considering how successful it supposedly is I would expect Yahtzee to atleast be aware of its existence.

Jul 23, 2008
This felt more like a checklist than anything else. A little more disjointed than usual, it didn't really get into the flow that it normally does.
Oh, well. same time next week, eh.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I agree with most of his awards. And I think the "turd in a turd" award should be given out annually by every media outlet. I do have one gripe, however, about his assessments.

I realize this might go better as a response to the review of Prince of Persia, but I kind of liked the ending of that game... it went along wonderfully with the Prince's cavalier, jerk-off attitude. And the fact that I knew he was going to behave that way even before the "fake" ending sequence serves as strong evidence that his behavior (while stupid) was in-character. And if memory serves me correctly, Yahtzee liked the Prince. Maybe it's because they're both sarcastic, cynical dicks. Alternatively, maybe it's the crazy scarves on his head... a poor replacement for a bowler, I know, but Zoroastrianism is a weird religion.

As for him behaving badly for the benefit of a character "no one likes," I haven't heard anyone else complain about that character. In fact, most people I've read reviews of or spoken to actually liked the character a lot. She's no Alex from HL2, but who is?

As for her schizophrenic behavior, I think the unusual circumstances she's found herself in paired with her dual X chromosomes give her a pass to act a bit emotionally from time to time, don't you?

ZeroRyoko1974

Jan 7, 2009
Some funny awards. The unskippable thing at the end was as dumb as youtube fandubs by squeaky fangirls. Really really bad.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
When I saw Yahtzee was doing an Awards of 2008 video, I figured odds were pretty high he was going to lampoon the utter futility of Awards of 2008 endeavors by flipping the bird to every big-name game to sweep lists throughout the Internet.

I was not disappointed. Especially when MGS4 was first of Yahtzee's list as complete murder of a franchise when every other reviewer and gamer choice reward on the Internet apparently thought it was such an awesome game that it caused their eyes to pop out and copulate right there in the middle of their living room coffee tables.

Take that, you silly tits, who would create lists of "what's best" intended to target thick people by completely disregarding the fundamental question of "best in what way?" (It's the same reason that every time somebody posts a "what's best/worst" thread on the forums here, I want to hit them with a board with a nail in it.)

Unfortunately, when everybody else's #1 best is Yahtzee's #1 worst, it brings pause. When you're facing down the entirety of "best of " lists out on the Internet, you've chosen a fight that would leave most people believing you've lost your objectivity. Giving Saints Row 2 his "only bearable game" reward, when it's a game that completely lampoons itself, does not help to ease these suspicions. It's like saying the only way I'll acknowledge a game as trying not to suck is if it surprises me by agreeing with me that games suck.

Zero Punctuation is technically accurate, but Zero Toleration might be a more apt title. I'd complain more about that, but frankly, I'm in the same boat. It's reached the point where I'm so sick of games that I'm not sure who to blame anymore - the developers for desperately rehashing the same old formula, or myself for not getting out often enough for games to seem relatively fresh. Relativity can be a *****.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
b100draven said:
Im one of the 3 MGS fans thanks for talking about me Yahtzee
I dunno I'm an MGS fan and I thought 4 was a horrible ending to the series, which is why I'm so glad when Yahtzee takes another shot at it.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
fallen1 said:
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't believe someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Um, one last thing, what was with the retarded video at the end?

"Thou shalt not attach retarded videos to the end of Zero Punctuation, unless said video is by Yahtzee." Reviews 3:28

Even though it was not a review of a game, I still think that it was funny. The titles for the awards were entertaining in themselves. If all you want to see is game reviews and all thats cool too, but try and realize that he does do some other stuff every once in a while to break the flow of the same thing week after week. Sometimes that break up in the middle is nice and then when the next week comes it will be back to reviews.
Lol! It wasn't me complaining. I liked the video. But we weren't even ten replies in and someone was complaining. I just couldn't believe it.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
This is the type of video I had expected two weeks ago. Ah well, better late than never and considering the "2008 games still to be reviewed" lag announced in this video, understandable. Anyway, for some reason (probably repetitition) I expected a "Mostest Averagesest Soundtrack Created by Man" award, the "run of the mill" photo and the phrase "goes to Ian Dorsch" to pop up.

Nomz

Dec 10, 2008
I loved the show Yahtzee!

But I love Tomb Raider Underworld, and in my little head he does review it.

Eiseman

Jul 23, 2008
What in the seven rings of fuck is that retarded clip at the end? I can't believe I had to turn up my volume to listen to that kind of unfunny crap.

Please tell me that's not a regular Escapist feature (*checks* Yep, it sure is). You can't be that starved for material.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
fallen1 said:
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't believe someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Um, one last thing, what was with the retarded video at the end?

"Thou shalt not attach retarded videos to the end of Zero Punctuation, unless said video is by Yahtzee." Reviews 3:28

Even though it was not a review of a game, I still think that it was funny. The titles for the awards were entertaining in themselves. If all you want to see is game reviews and all thats cool too, but try and realize that he does do some other stuff every once in a while to break the flow of the same thing week after week. Sometimes that break up in the middle is nice and then when the next week comes it will be back to reviews.
Lol! It wasn't me complaining. I liked the video. But we weren't even ten replies in and someone was complaining. I just couldn't believe it.
I know you weren't, I was agreeing with you

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
This one was funny. I glad to watch a video and actully laugh. Unlikes some of your past videos. Great job on make me laugh.

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
Eh, we already had one review of 2008 episode. No need for two of them.

For the record, Unskippable was indeed very skippable and I was very happy to do so.

michelhulst

Jan 7, 2009
hmmm.. they use a new video player or something? doesnt work for me.. i get this error:
Error: 200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '486''
at org.flowplayer.view::Launcher/doHandleError()
at org.flowplayer.view::Launcher/onClipError()
at EventListener/notify()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/_dispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/http://flowplayer.org/core/internal::doDispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::Clip/onClipEvent()
at EventListener/notify()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/_dispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::EventDispatcher/http://flowplayer.org/core/internal::doDispatchEvent()
at org.flowplayer.model::ClipEventDispatcher/dispatchError()
at org.flowplayer.controller::NetStreamControllingStreamProvider/_onNetStatus()
any suggestions?

mPinkerton

Jan 7, 2009
Funny as always... However, I'd love to hear his thoughts on "LittleBigPlanet"... I think it's brilliant.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
michelhulst said:
any suggestions?
Works for me. I'm guessing your video player got corrupted or something. I'm not sure if those error messages belong to Windows Media or Quicktime or what.

[Edit: A quick Google search reveals you're running something called Adobe FlowPlayer, which is one heck of a weird video player, I'm not surprised you're having difficulty running things. I recommend uninstalling it and getting one that's not so proprietary, like Windows Media Player or whatever works for your system.]

[Edit Edit: Then again, it's not a problem with what you've installed at all. My thinking is Adobe FlowPlayer is what the website is using to distribute the video. Chances are you're encountering this error because The Escapist is currently being hit by a lot of traffic to view this video. Wait for awhile and try again.]