Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
antipunt said:
for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)
I only finish GTA games once (except IV which I don't want to play) and then I just fly around and jump out of helicopters and stuff. You know the fun stuff. Maybe I start another savefile but I never finish the main missions.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It's worth noting something: Yahtzee is entitled to his opinion. The entire point of ZP is that he expresses that opinion in a very humorous way, not that it necessarily has more validity than any other review out there. If you disagree, fine. Personally, one of the things that I find very enlightening about his reviews is that he often focuses on aspects of games that the other reviewers/sites ignore in their mad rush to assess graphics, level design, etc. Little things like 'story', in which I put a lot of stock. But at the same time, I am certainly not going to base my purchasing decision solely on Yahtzee's opinion, and neither should anybody else, imho. After all, we wouldn't be buying many new games at all if we did... :p

So, if you like GTA4, or MGS4, or whatever, knock yourself out. Personally, I disagree with him strongly about Dead Space-- in fact, some of the things he listed as negatives in the review I felt were actually assets (the strong link to System Shock, for example: DS is more of a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock 2 than Bioshock was, in my mind). Enjoy the review... er, awards this week I guess, take into consideration anything that you might find relevant, and elsewise just be entertained.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.
I agree wholeheartedly. it seems that Yahtzee slams every game for the sake of slamming it. Case in point:in his mgs4 review he straight-up lied about issues he had with the controls, saying that you have to hold L1,R1 and triangle to shoot. Anyone who's played the game will tell you that this is bullshit. Also if he thinks that Hideo Kojima wrote such a shit story, then why aren't Yahtzee's games winning countless awards the world over, and not Kojima's

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Wow, I'm surprised that there aren't more people crying about what Yahtzee said about MSG4.
MSG 4 players tend to cry the loudest be the most vocal when someone says the least bit derogatory about "their game".
Good we have un-subtle Yahtzee to take that job off our hands xD

Good show as always.

fveew

Jan 8, 2009
Ok, DICE is owned by EA i´ll gice you that.
But did EA develop the game?
NOOO!
Do you get it or do i have to come over and slap you until you understand?

Dr. Crowbar

Jan 4, 2009
He makes a good point... GTA IV is a good suicide engine, but not FUN .. that's what game developers are missing nowadays.. it's supposed to be fucking fun.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
the funnest game i played this year was World of Goo. I also hope he reviews Legendary and Rise of the Argonauts cause i heard they were massive shits

thejoblot

Apr 9, 2008
Well that was boring. Jesus Christ, it wasn't that funny. Stop jerking off to the man, you guys are the type of people that he keeps making fun of.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
y8c616 said:
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.
I agree wholeheartedly. it seems that Yahtzee slams every game for the sake of slamming it. Case in point:in his mgs4 review he straight-up lied about issues he had with the controls, saying that you have to hold L1,R1 and triangle to shoot. Anyone who's played the game will tell you that this is bullshit. Also if he thinks that Hideo Kojima wrote such a shit story, then why aren't Yahtzee's games winning countless awards the world over, and not Kojima's
Firstly: IGN and gamespot (coughkaneandlynchcough) are widely regarded as being very corrupt (can;t comment on gametrailers).

Secondly: Just because Yahtzee can;t do anything better doesn;t mean he isn;t allowed to criticise. It's an argument so commonly brought up and it's utter nonsense; I don't need to be able to sing better than Bob Dylan to criticise his singing ability for example.

LordShmoo

Jul 20, 2008
I trust Yahtzee's opinion more than IGN and Gamespot. All a game needs to do to get a 10 on those sites is have pretty graphics. I'm so tired of buying a game that gets a 9 or 10 only to play the same tired gameplay, stupid storylines, etc.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
whyarecarrots said:
y8c616 said:
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Firstly: IGN and gamespot (coughkaneandlynchcough) are widely regarded as being very corrupt (can;t comment on gametrailers).

Secondly: Just because Yahtzee can;t do anything better doesn;t mean he isn;t allowed to criticise. It's an argument so commonly brought up and it's utter nonsense; I don't need to be able to sing better than Bob Dylan to criticise his singing ability for example.
Well yeah, obviously he can criticise, its by no means a perfect game; the cutscenes are a little OTT and you kind of need to be a fan to get the story, but in all fairness, he sounds like a 13 year old xbox fanboy ripping into MGS4.

KatsuExe

Jul 31, 2008
lol so true i haven't played a good horror game in a long time the new survival horror games are just shooters which this year had waaay to many.

minoko

Jan 8, 2009
Just watched the video and noticed that once again Yahtzee has praised Saints Row 2 to the detrament of GTA IV, something I agree with, yet has been done before, a while back, by this guy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDVF0SVYAs

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Reviewing integrity is an acceptable sacrifice for humor because being funny increases your traffic stats and popularity.

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
minoko said:
Just watched the video and noticed that once again Yahtzee has praised Saints Row 2 to the detrament of GTA IV, something I agree with, yet has been done before, a while back, by this guy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDVF0SVYAs
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery imo

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
y8c616 said:
whyarecarrots said:
y8c616 said:
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Well yeah, obviously he can criticise, its by no means a perfect game; the cutscenes are a little OTT and you kind of need to be a fan to get the story, but in all fairness, he sounds like a 13 year old xbox fanboy ripping into MGS4.
Or maybe he just has his own opinion about what he finds fun...

Maybe he is annoyed at fan-pandering (Final Fantasy Advent Children/Crisis Core/Dissidia for a small batch of examples) rather than making a good game in its own right.

Or maybe he just thinks it's not as good as the hype made it seem, nor as good as the previous games, compared to what everyone made it out to be.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
Lord_Jaroh said:
y8c616 said:
whyarecarrots said:
y8c616 said:
GodOfTongs said:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Or maybe he just has his own opinion about what he finds fun...

Maybe he is annoyed at fan-pandering (Final Fantasy Advent Children/Crisis Core/Dissidia for a small batch of examples) rather than making a good game in its own right.

Or maybe he just thinks it's not as good as the hype made it seem, nor as good as the previous games, compared to what everyone made it out to be.
Well obviously he's entitled to his opinions, but the way he puts it is no better than the masses of fanboy flamewars seen here on these forums.

Northover32

Aug 29, 2008
Saints Row? What ever happened to Portal!!!

and so mmuch music during the introduction to the awards, it sounds like he spent 5 minutes on the audio and video of this weeks ZP.