Zero Punctuation: Batman Arkham Asylum

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
This was actually a PERFECT review. And if you couldn't tell by him recommending the game, umm, yahtzee recommended a game. I'm not saying he should be your deciding factor, but look how many games he hates that other people like. The flaws he stated are definitely there, but honestly they're just little scratches on a nice sports car. The game plays so well, and the parts you'll really have fun with are there the whole time.

And the scarecrow parts, my god.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Great review. One of the best I've seen in a while. I'm in full agreement on the Killer Croc fight. I mean seriously what kind of bullshit was that? Either way AA was truly a great game and I can't wait for some free DLC in the next few days. :)

jane_says

Jun 11, 2008
They probably just phone him if they need him during the day. Probably rude to ring him at night, he might be sleeping. That would be the worst super hero ever, one that only comes if he's up anyway.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Okay guys, don't get your hopes up too much.

PC version has a nasty, nasty bug. It happens to almost everyone - after rescuing Gordon (don't worry, it's before even Scarecrow, so it's pretty early into the game) OR a bit later, depending on your luck, the game will give a General Protection Fault and crash.

So either wait for a fix, crack-fix (hey, I wouldn't be surprised if the hackers fixed this before the devs do) or a miracle. Or play on Xbox/PS3.

SloLynx

Aug 29, 2009
Hehe great review, great game as well, tough it might get anoying once you don't know where to go -.-

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Gonna enjoy this friday, then, when I lay my hands on Arkham Asylum PC and get to play it in 1920x1200 at 60fps.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Abedeus said:

PC version has a nasty, nasty bug. It happens to almost everyone - after rescuing Gordon (don't worry, it's before even Scarecrow, so it's pretty early into the game) OR a bit later, depending on your luck, the game will give a General Protection Fault and crash.
PC version is working fine for me. Guess I'm lucky

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Abedeus said:

PC version is working fine for me.
What GPU are you using/where are you in the game?

I've noticed that mainly the GeForce cards are making the game crash, Radeons not so much.

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
Ah, It looks like a batman game that might actually turn out to be some fun. I no longer trust any of the reviews from official magazines or the internet in general. If Yahtzee likes it then its probably not crap.

And I am certain its going to be much better than that PS2 batman game. Seriously! That was like playing as a midget, beating up a stupidly large number of slightly different coloured midgets, around a maze you can only view through a telescope. Oh an occasional green mist whenever you encounter the scarecrow. It was about as immersive as a black and white Wizard of Oz.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Abedeus said:
runtheplacered said:
Abedeus said:

I've noticed that mainly the GeForce cards are making the game crash, Radeons not so much.
I've finished the game on normal and am now playing through again on Hard. And it is in fact a Radeon 4850.

Paraggio

Apr 15, 2009
great review for a great game. I've played through it and I do wish the boss fights were better. They never do Bane justice with the fights - I mean the dude broke killer crocs arms without breaking too much of a sweat.

I'm a total bat geek btw.

Having said that, Batman's villains were never going to stand a chance in a one on one battle against the greatest martial artist to ever have lived! with the exception of croc and bane which they did screw up.

But honestly it's a damned good game and all the praises at the beginning of the review MORE than make up for the bad stuff.

Oh and one last thing, in the stealth sections. There are times where you will drop DIRECTLY next to a thug and he won't see you. Or grapple to a higher ledge and fly across his vision and he won't see you. Thats a little silly but it's batman and he can do anything so that makes it cool

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Abedeus said:
runtheplacered said:
Abedeus said:

I've finished the game on normal and am now playing through again on Hard. And it is in fact a Radeon 4850.
Then this must be it.

9800GT here and I can't play right now. Must be a Nvidia-specific issue.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
About the riddle, Batman is less effective during the day so no one needs him then. I am holding out for a mod that allows me to play as Bein.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
How are there still people that post the second after the thread is started!?

I found it odd that all of Batman's enemies have a penchant for gasing you in some way or another.

As I'm sure a lot of people agree the most fantastic bit in the whole game was the Scarecrow section which came close to breaking the fourth wall.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
PS2MAN said:
Holy crap nice riddle. How would u signal Batman during the day!
Don't be silly. There's no day in Gotham City.

On topic that was probably your best since the Duke Nukem one.

Feb 13, 2008
How do they summon him during the day?

Well, there's the Batphone, the Batmail, the Battwitter, the MyBatSpace, the BatPostie and if all else fails, Commissioner Gordon wanders up to the roof and just says "BOY, I'M GLAD BATMAN ISN'T HERE AT THE MOMENT TO SEE ME EATING THIS TWINKIE!"

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
I'm glad he pointed out the faults, but I'm still gonna get this.

That kitten bit was too much though! I love kitties! And I hate it when their parents die and they emote humanly. It makes me so sad I wanna kill myself, moreso than usual.

May 28, 2009
great game and great review

and evryone knows that batman villains are always in hospital uring the day