Zero Punctuation: Batman Arkham Asylum

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I did very much enjoy it what with being able to gain XP by destroying chattering teeth with baterangs and finding Riddler's trophys and green question marks where some of them had to match the exact punctuation mark before doing a quick scan to get the XP. I should definitely purchase this game but I've got some other games that need to be completed first.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Humorous and pretty spot-on with how I felt about the game. It's very rare nowadays to find a game that does almost everything very well and can be so addicting. I rented the game for PS3 and beat it, and as expected I returned it. Some days later I showed my friend the demo of the game on the 360, and I got so into it all over again, and when the demo was over I was like, "Shit, I want to play the whole game all over again!" Last game I had that made me want to experience it again and again was Resident Evil 4, and to be in such company is no small feat.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I think Yahtzee should stick to reviewing games that everyone knows will be bad. Otherwise he'll end up making himself look stupid by nitpicking slightly less pleasurable details of a genuine good game, wich are almost rare these days. We all know thrashing bad games is what he's best at and its hard to believe him when he actually praises a good game because of it.

JustTheBast

Sep 16, 2009
I guess those imps in the end credits would have been disappointed, even if Batman hadn't come to beat them up. They were signalling for Playmates, not Bunnyman.

pakx

Sep 16, 2009
great review, but i'm going to be the angry nerd on my very first post and beef with the "comic book writing" platitude. i'd argue that most sucessful comics these days aren't written poorly by any standard, and that the corny dialogue in the game could more aptly be attributed to "game writing" if we want to use unfair platitudes to wash over entire mediums.

nerd rant over!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I agree with the review as a whole, but there are two things that don't sit right with me.

The first is a point so negligible it's barely there, but... am I the only one who played this game and thought, "How is it that even walking seems cool when Batman does it?" For me it felt more badass walking up to the generic henchmen and pummeling them than running towards them at full speed.

The second point doesn't even concern the game in particular, but Yahtzee's statement that Batman is the most boring character in whatever medium he appears in. Having repeatedly proven and admitted to how big a nerd he is AND that he loves Batman, I can't help but feel YZ missed out on comics like the "No Man's Land" series or Grant Morrison's stand-alone comic "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth". After reading those (especially the latter one) I think there'd be an honest change of him rethinking his opinion.

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
I've been looking for a game, and if Zero Punctuation likes it that'll mean it's like a burrito of orgasm and hilarity.

I thought Halo 3 was fun and good (although I stuck to online multiplayer) and he thought that it was decent.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I was expecting a ripping of this game and it was giving and he also gave it praise whilst still being himself. I laughed and wet my pants

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Apart from spoiling the Killer Croc part which I'm at (THANK YOU) I'd say it's nice to see you back from your gimmicked leprechaun-wannabe whatever that was.

I fully agree too, so it's nice to see someone getting paid handsomely for sharing my opinions.
Please invest it in something I'd like too.
Like.. Me.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
never liked batman and will never do after they destroyed arnold shwartsineger honor than he was mr freeze but the game still looks awesome and i know i can't spell arnolds last name!^^

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I actually really enjoy this game and its nice to see Yahtzee highlight the nice bits as well as the fact that its very annoying to run around holding A all the time. I would have loved a BatSpank attack.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
I must admit, I have been a little disappointed the last 3 weeks.

But this one was quite good.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
FFS. am i the only one who cant watch the reviews because it loads only the first few seconds and thats it.???
seriously, it never loads the entire review. i have this problem for 4 weeks now.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Thus far, this is the ONLY review where I share Yahtzee's sentiments to the letter: Scarecrow=good, Croc=bad, Joker=dissapointing.

On the other hand, now that he's admitted to liking it, that should do wonders on what critics of the game remain...

In retrospect, this is probably the only time one of Yahtzee's reviews was more positive than one of mine.

pakx

Sep 16, 2009
yellow snake95 said:
never liked batman and will never do after they destroyed arnold shwartsineger honor than he was mr freeze but the game still looks awesome and i know i can't spell arnolds last name!^^
destroyed his honor?

...you know he did that movie of his own will, right?

Alorithin

May 7, 2008
Didn't Yahtzee mention he was playing this on the PC?
Why did he gripe about the dual-shock analog auto run?