Zero Punctuation: Batman Arkham Asylum

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Ahh, ive allways wondered what would happen when he reviews a game he actually likes, funny review.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Xombee said:
oecumenix said:
Gotham villains work mostly at night (as real-life villains do).
No they don't, they rob your house during the day; while you're at work.
Yeahhh... I don't think batman is going to concern himself with petty thieves stealing from houses in braod daylight; that's what the police are for. Besides, bats are nocturnal, therefore batman only comes out at night, and day time is Bruce Wayne's turn to shine, or do whatever it is that Bruce Wayne does.

Blastcage said:
andsoitgoes said:
Fantastic, exactly, exactly, EXACTLY what I felt in this game. One of the first reviews where I had little difference in opinion. Fabu.

And who the hell was the guy's head who popped down when he said "Things to grapple on". I've never figured that out.
Seconding this, I have no idea who the guy is :U
Sorry to bring this back up from the first page, but this too has been nagging me for ages. Does anyone know who he is?

deplorable

Feb 29, 2008
a review without an actual review... hmm... incredible, well done. next time add in some funny.

Game was okay... the joker ps3 version slightly better, but it was nothing to write home about. Every mechanic in the game had been done to death, it was just glossed over with "batman" who lets face it, should just kill some people... please.

seriously by the end of the game good guys had lost a couple of hundred, bad guys... had lost well none.. except the ones the joker himself killed. Arghhh.. no wonder Gotham is so screwed up, it has poncy idiot batman "i hate guns" running around.

kill people. just once. walking past previous parts for the riddles to see all the cops dead on the detective mode, whereas all the bad guys with 55rpm is a bit much.

Oh and when you save a doctor twice, why kill her off.. is batman that bad a hero he can't protect anyone anyway!? He lets commissioner Gordon get taken away twice, everyone he tells to stay where they are (bar hook man) end up dead. (you save these people from cages in a moment of do this quick or they die), return a little before the end of the game, and they are dead anyway. What's the point!?

okay game, meh graphics.. best lines were from the joker.. all in all... something to do for 5 hours, but i wouldn't actually pay full price for it.

It's a hooker, worth a shot... then never seen again.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
TraumaHound said:
Ah, morning coffee and Yahtzee, best way to start a Wednesday.
Indeed... I get to work make my brew then close the door to enjoy his work.

Loved it this week. Agreed with pretty much all of it. Love the game too.

Thanks Mr Croshaw.

Awesomeness

Aug 8, 2009
i agree with the last part. i'm replaying it and i've realised that all the villians (especially Joker) are great, while Batman is a gravel voiced sod.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Batman doesnt come out in the day. Then people would see he is running about in his underpants.

Feb 13, 2008
Andronicus said:
Sorry to bring this back up from the first page, but this too has been nagging me for ages. Does anyone know who he is?
No-one's actually sure. The best thought is that it's a stock photo of someone relevant to Yahtzee in a tribute of sorts to Monty Python's Terry Gilliam.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Lord Thodin said:
I gotta admit I was backing Yahtzee 200% until he mentioned that comic book literature isn't that good. Ill admit that 50% of the comics sales are attributed to their art but you cant sell half a product. If you read any series worth its salt, you'll know that comic book writing is some of the best written word left on this planet. By that I mean don't compare the early Spiderman comics with The Dark Knight by Frank Miller.
Yep.

Preacher
Punisher: MAX
Sin City
Priest

All compelling cases for the legitimacy of comic book writing. Goodness sakes, Preacher alone is enough to prove that comic books can have writing every bit as good as that of any other medium.

As for the game, I dunno. I'm skeptical. The gameplay engine looks like a modification of that used in the Batman Begins game. And Batman has never been my favorite superhero, in part because his complete refusal to kill people who try to kill him and thousands of innocents effectively renders him powerless. I think The Dark Knight proved that better than any point I could make. The Punisher knows how to solve problems. Batman just moves them from place to place.

AnarkiJ

Jan 23, 2008
The mysterious man on the detective mode telescope in the video was Sherlock Holmes.
Sherlock Holmes. Detective mode.
Go figure.

Nice video though, as for everyone who reviews his reviews, you're sort of missing the point. Most reviews are strictly to assess a game, it's not part of reviewing to be entertaining as well, that he found a way to be entertaining whilst being quite (not entirely) factual and honest is a bonus.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
Edgy...

Because denying Jesus as real is like saying Rome never existed? Unsure what you mean by it, considering a lot of internet idiot atheists scream it out without actually figuring that even atheists with more then half a brain don't deny his existence. They just deny what he did, etc, even saying that he had sexual relationships (a.k.a. married) the prominent women characters within the Gospels... like Mormons do (stating for irony).

Shouldn't think too much into it considering you state it just to be 'edgy' anyway, but meh, every thing is said and done for a specific reason... Obviously your bias comes into this otherwise you wouldn't have stated it, but there is deep-seeded reason for that... Did God kill your mommy?

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Good review. I really enjoyed the game (especially the scarecrow parts) but I completely agree about the ending.

Slimshad

Sep 16, 2009
Undeed said:
Was it just me, or did Yatzhee explicitly state that his purpose was to piss all over games? It's not particularly surprising, and I'd even call it a nessecity, but to outright state it like that came as a bit of a surprise.
He mentioned before that people get all over his ass when he isn't picky about games. I forget the game he praised but he got a ton of people bitching at him for not tearing it apart.[/quote]

Psychonauts

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
andsoitgoes said:
And who the hell was the guy's head who popped down when he said "Things to grapple on". I've never figured that out.
Seriously, who is that guy and why is he included in just about every episode? It's been bothering me for months!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Eh, I seriously doubt the game was REALLY beta-tested well.

Another crash - this time, it might be because the game doesn't like Realtek Sound Cards...

GAH!! Patch 1.1 fixing PhysX after about 3-4 days, now we're waiting for a fix for crashes with Nvidia and Realtek cards...

The game is awesome, though, especially when you get "trip-explosive-gel" or the remote controlled batarang, or sonic batarangs for luring people out.

Too bad that we won't get to control the Joker, at least not for a month or two.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
does anyone haves the feeling that Yahtzee did had to nitpick ALOT in this game?? hehe, he forgot to say "probably the best game ever in this year" hahaha

also, does anyone gets a headache wile walking right NEXT to batman?? (the 3rd person view makes my head pulsate after a few minutes... and i wanted to puke)

yeah, he forgot to mention that while not being in cover mode or running the bat ass gets halve the screen, it felt too much as a "fan pleaser"

spoiler containing another complain

that bit when you are entramped in the garden and he calls his bat-plane (jet??) the plane comes right in a majestic manner breaking the windows just to drop a frikken upgrade like 10 feet down, it felt weird (why didnt it dropped the blasted mini rocket container from outside??) its a cool game but the "fan pleasers" felt weird and out of tune sometimes

TheECP

Nov 1, 2007
crotalidian said:
On the Detective mode Issue. I assume you cant fight or do any of the cool stealth stuff in Detective mode, which would make sense as its hard to notice the heartbeat and footfalls of a guy in the next room when all you can hear is the nearest thugs face break. and I doubt even batman can swing between 2 legdes while noticing that there is an air duct in the corner of the room. so while I understand that detective mode is good to have I also see how it needs to only be used in quiet stealth areas.

Sadly gonna have to wait for the bargain version in a couple of months once I can afford a new xbox
Actually you can do EVERYTHING in detective mode. Well, technically it will turn off automatically for some things like using the electric gate opener gadget, but you can still do it from there.

So really the ONLY incentive to turn it off is to see the pretty graphics, haha. It's a self control thing, I just flick it on and off.