Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The Battlefield games have never really interested me, they just seemed like generic modern shooter games which are very popular so some reason.
I'm hoping a truly innovative shooter comes out in the near future, because we really need one of those about now.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Darkefire said:
Bahahaha, fantastic. I feel almost exactly the same way about most modern shooters, although I still think MW2 takes the prize for "spawn, walk three steps, get shot by a sniper you never saw, repeat" gameplay. Give me good old fashioned health kits any day over this piss-easy regenerating health. Even Mass Effect 2 got in on it, since apparently people found the first game's system of bulking up your shields to the point they can take anything too difficult.
i can forgive a game like mass effect for doing the regen-health thingy :p
after all.. it's space.. in the future... shields and self fixing armor :D
once that stuff is gone, it doesn't take that many bullets to die <.<

*edit* damn.. pressed post before i talked about the video :p shame on me..
anywho.. good video :) although... this is one of those games where the lack
of multiplayer review hurts the game...

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
I know the guy doesn't pay much attention to multiplayer, nor do I really, but Battlefield IS multiplayer, and I got it just for that, and I love it, despite the fact I generally hate online games (TF2 excluded).

Also, is it just me, but does this review feel like it's cut short?

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
grimlockfly said:
HK_01 said:
No mention of multiplayer? Isn't that like, I don't know, the focus of the game?
seriously, it's a multiplayer game with a tacked on single player mode.
I wouldn't call the single player tacked on. AvP has a tacked on single player. I would say this has a decent one.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first game either. What is it with destructable environments anyway? They look pretty but they never really seem to do anything other than clusterfucking the landscape and giving you an option between doorway and hole in the wall. They can bang on about (and I just read about the guy making Body Count bang on about for about three pages) how they alter tactics and strategy and you can't just hide from tanks in inpenetrable buildings anymore, but the fact is that pretty much every player out there is going to treat it almost exactly the same as they would any Call of Duty of Medal of Honor. I thought we were over this shit about the time Black came out.
online it stops campers

"hey that guys camping"

*BOOM*

"not any more" ^_^

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
"the Russians are occupying the surface of Mercury, which is beyond the most liberal interpretation of lebensraum"

Ok, I laughed heartily at this.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Fox News jokes, Yahtzee? Seriously?

I don't want to pretend that a news network - or indeed anything - is supposedly above being mocked, but I've already heard every Fox News joke there is! Multiple times! From utterly unrelated sources!

Surely there must be something in the opposite hemisphere worth mocking beyond Mr. Atkinson, if only for the sheer thrill of hearing something new.

On second thought, just mocking Mr. Atkinson more would also be perfectly acceptable. That bizarre fellow is going to be out of the limelight before too long and it would be a shame to waste the time remaining. It is so rare to find someone who can legitimately earn universal scorn from all sides that it will be almost a shame to be rid of the brain-addled bloke.

*ALMOST*

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
I was wondering about Russian always being the enemy too (when its not Nazis ofc.). I would love to see a game were you fought against... a European country or as a European country fighting USA. Its not realistic but come on!!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I fail to understand what makes Battlefield Cad Company 2 'realistic'.
Since it's about as realistic as Super Mario Bros.
But it was a charming video nonetheless.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I really enjoyed this game, mostly for the multiplayer, and the tanks... and the hell is he talking about 'impenetrable walls of dust'? I played the beta and the released game and found no such dust that i couldn't see through. I get the feeling yhatzee was reaching for the first and or most obvious petty fault he could find.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Anyone else find it ironic and funny how we're given an ad for BC2 right before the review starts and Yahtzee rips it a new one?

XP

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm, I was rather looking forward to him dusting off the "Its like God of War but..." poster for this week only to burn it because it would be God of War. A slightly boring review, probably because I don't play shooters and find them to be the most uncreative form of game design.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
As I recall, Yahtzee has always said that a multiplayer game should still have a single player mode that's worth playing on its own (or something to that effect, with a cool accent and a hat). In this regard, he's perfectly in his own right to review them as such.

And I'm actually glad I'm not the only onwe getting tired of companies pushing realism always further. Soon, as a way of escaping real life, we'll go play fake-real life... (I think it's called the Sims, or somehting...)

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Wow. Seeing Yahtzee reconcile with Duke Nukem was something I seriously did not expect. Especially not after his Duke Nukem Forever pseudo-review.

But what I'm wondering is if I'm the only one who noticed what appears to have happened. That the FPS genre started getting flooded with soldiers, space marines, and realistic (or pseudo-realistic) shooters because developers started taking the genre seriously. What do you think is a better word for that? Would it be tragic or ironic?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I have it for the computer and I never noticed the haze... I have had experience with the dust though, but you'd think there would be dust if an entire building was crumbling down around you/walls being blown out. I think its a neat feature that I actually use to my advantage in multiplayer. Shoot a rocket at a wall and use the dust that is blinding the enemy to run around. It works out pretty well actually.

Other than that, definitely not one of your better ones. I enjoy reading your articles far more than your videos now. I'm glad you took up writing those now.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Also, if I would be a game writer, wouldn't present wars be against insurgents and rebels, ambushing and suicide bombing the technologically advanced soldiers (I'd rather not say Americans, due to the fact that present "realistic" FPS protagonists always includes Americans).

I would love a Third-person war game in which you're on the rebels' side of the war fighting against technologically advanced enemies,owning them via ambushes, suicidal-bomber teammates, and dirty tricks. You would be destroying their radar and radio system by hijacking one of their vehicles, commanding your rebels to keep the guards busy while planting mines and traps as well as RPGing all of their sattelite and radio machineries to impair their communication.

I'd rather want a war in which there's other objectives than just running around, taking cover, and gunning everything down.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Meh, I like most of your reviews Yathzee but this was meh... ill probably be called a fan boy by someone (wow nice one thats original). But really i enjoyed the single player it was entertaing and better than Modern warfare, yer the dust could be excessive its not that bad. Also you seem to have a serious case of "Penis" on your mind this week i didnt count but at a guess at least 7 references? There are other things you can use as a funny analogy.

You'd never play it but really the Multiplayer is where this game is strongest but your above tha sort of thing aren't you :).