Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Having heard from a number of people that Bad Company 2 was better than Modern Warfare 2, I was expecting Yahtzee to chime in with a similar sentiment, but it was lost in the DUST. Maybe because this is focusing mostly on the single player aspect of the game which, like Modern Warfare 2, is perhaps the lesser half of it.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Yahtzee is as funny as always. I was quite surprised that he decided to review Bad Company 2. I was expecting this week's video to be about Final Fantasy XIII because he apprently was going to review that game. I am really looking forward to his review of God of War III...which I would assume he's going to review. He is going to review it right?

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
IT'S A MULTIPLAYER GAME FFS. THE SINGLE PLAYER IS VESTIGIAL.

You can argue the concept all fucking day, but that doesn't change the fact that buying a multiplayer game and then not playing the multiplayer is fucking stupid.

Matsuringo

Mar 24, 2010
Let me preface this by saying I love all of Yahtzee's work and I understand he's never really reviewing a game so much as he rants at it, but 2 things kind of bug me about this. He played the SP of a MP game. It's pretty much like judging TF2 based on how the menu looks. Second, the users here and to a smaller extent Yahtzee himself screaming MW2 clone give me a headache on a magnitude I can't properly describe. This series has been around for way longer, and although it's keeping with the status quo of 'cinematic, on rails' FPS, its single player isn't really there for fans of BF. It's for widening the range of appeal so no MP playing people like Yahtzee will pick it up.

TL;DR go play MP you git.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Jennacide said:
Whatever, he only discussed the single player, which is still better than MW2 IMO. The real price is the multiplayer, which is a goddam blast, and also better than MW2. My first time playing I got into a match of Rush on Island and it became the single most epic battle scene I've ever seen. And I generally dislike the abuse of the word epic, but nothing else could describe it. Other team had a few guys that were way higher in rank than anyone, and a few that seemed to be cheating, but my scrappy team valiantly fought them back for 45 minutes with pure chaos going on everywhere.

I typically love TF2 above all else in multiplayer, but damned if that wasn't the greatest experience I've ever had in an FPS, and it was entirely unscripted.
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
Hey, you misspelled System Shock 2 there.
That's an insult to System Shock 2. Bioshock 1 was an okay analog to SS2, Bioshock 2 is a big steaming pile that fixed bad game mechanics and tossed all good bits like atmosphere out the window.
What are you talking about?

If anything BS2 had way better gameplay than those two combined...it just sucked on some other levels...=/

Opacic

Jun 25, 2008
Jennacide said:
That's an insult to System Shock 2. Bioshock 1 was an okay analog to SS2, Bioshock 2 is a big steaming pile that fixed bad game mechanics and tossed all good bits like atmosphere out the window.
I apologise, System Shock 2 has and always will be one of my favourite RPG's out there, next to Deus Ex.

And Rush is quite fun, isn't it? :p At least when people are actually working together and defusing the charges. We unfortunately have a little crossover from MW2 players, thinking that KD ratios actually matter in this game.

TV_Casualty said:
Ha. True, true.

However, no matter you how cynical you want to be, you can't deny that there were vast gameplay improvements between Bioshock 1 and 2.

And notice how I didn't mention "stellar storytelling." Wink wink. I don't think anyone could say that the story of Bio2 has the same gravitas and deep significance as the well-contained presentation in Bio1. But that doesn't make the game unplayable, and that certainly doesn't mean that it's not at least worth a rental.

But a bit off topic here...
Actually, I really couldn't get into Bioshock, either I had hyped myself up to it, or something, I just couldn't get myself in the game.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Oh yeah, the dust. I remember that being an issue in the first game...
And dammit, I never got a Truckasaurus rex!

Bran Mugen

Feb 16, 2010
I hear people whining about that it's a multiplayer game and shouldn't be judged by its single player. Well if it shouldn't be judged by single player, it shouldn't have a single player mode, now should it?!

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
I agree with this ZP. He could have bashed the AI a little more still.

Give me bulky space marines and lasers over Soldiers and projectile weapons any day.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
I always hope B:BC and MW will get together and make a single uber-game that destroys them and stops this slew of the exact same fucking game every month.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
good review, sorry the game sucked, and good luck getting that new term for realistic shooters to catch on.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Can I just say *cock* the penis *dick* refen *tallywhacker*-ces are getting *shlong* a little *todger* more use than the *wang* breasts *slobber* ones in the Tomb *boner* Raider ones?

Oh yes, *IRON ROD OF DOOM*

Puhhhhlease.
I think the cock references are getting extra air time because of the increase of cock sucking going on in the comments?
Am I right, or am I speaking rubbish?

OT: Yes there was a crap-ton of dust that attributed to the majority of my deaths.... That's about all I'll agree on.
I guess he didn't play the first one, because I expected a note about how the games tone went from light hearted to gritty dark between the sequels.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Bran Mugen said:
I hear people whining about that it's a multiplayer game and shouldn't be judged by its single player. Well if it shouldn't be judged by single player, it shouldn't have a single player mode, now should it?!
please explain that logic.

Because it could go both ways, what if you took Total War, judged it purely by its multiplayer, and then said "Well if it didn't want to be judged entirely by its multiplayer it shouldn't have had it."

Not to mention that nobody is saying the single player shouldn't have been reviewed, on that reviewing only the single player is stupid.

flabslapper

Sep 24, 2009
agreed, I've been saying for years that realism does not equal fun, realism equals bang your dead I don't want to play this anymore

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
Wait a minute.. there's a Single Player part to this game? Really though, reviewing the single player portion of any Battlefield game would be like reviewing Crysis solely based on it's multiplayer.

Not trying to be a hater, but why review a very Multi-player centric game when you don't like playing games online? Seems odd, there are many other games that could be reviewed in lieu of BFBC2. Is this what the SCII review is going to be like?

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Good review, not particularly funny but still liked it since it's a game I've actually played. It was a pretty crap game (Singleplayer anyway)... wasn't really a MW2 clone until the copy pasted part with the EMP going off and the helicopter falling from the sky. You'd think with all those billions EA could buy an imagination or some shit.
I did notice the massive amounts of dust but it wasn't really a problem until the driving missions, when you couldn't see shit for the bastards in front of you kicking all kinds of snowy earthy crap and bullets into your eyes, so you drive off the edge of the cliff you were so carefully trying to avoid.
Wouldn't mind a Just Cause 2 review in the next few weeks... just played it and uninstalled it after a few hours... fucking awful game (the PC version), crap controls, laggy camera, the main guy moves like a dripping sack of diarrhoea. Rip it a new one by all means.
Oh yeah... Russian national anthem is fantastic, brings a tear to my eye listening to it.