Zero Punctuation: Beyond: Two Souls

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
erttheking said:
All right I'm just gonna come right out and say it. With the exception of all the controversy around the Last of Us and this game, I have no fraking idea who the fuck Ellen Page is. Can someone please tell me what the big broo ha ha is? How come so many people love her and how come so many people here hate her?
She's a pretty famous actress. Depending on what kind of movies you are into, you'd probably recognize her most from either Juno or Inception. People probably hate her because they view her as overrated or because of The Last of Us controversy, but I'd hardly consider her a horrible actress, just not a particularly memorable one for any good or bad reason.

OT: Maybe it is due to my hatred of David Cage and his attitude, but I don't think I've laughed at a Zero Punctuation episode this hard in a while.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The demo did not impress me, at least with Heavy Rain I could move somewhat more, with the choices having more impact on the derivative plot than here. Maybe when its cheaper but I tend not to spend over £10 on a film let alone £40...

Zachary Amaranth said:
Beyond: Two Souls is one of those games where a sequel name will be awkward if it does happen. Like Army of Two Two.
Then there was Two Worlds II, which was a real title.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I haven?t played this game or any David cage game so my opinion is kind of useless, but to me it seems like he really wants to explore the potential of video game storytelling and get away from the traditional skill based challenges that dominate games, but he just isn?t skilled enough to pull it off and his games end up failing as both a game and movie.
If it wasn?t for that apparently nude Ellen page shower scene thing, I would feel sorry for the guy.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yossarian1507 said:
*Checks the review, review comments and comments for "Nude Ellen Page case"*

Yup, just as I suspected. Apparently I'm the only person in the world who actually liked this game. Huh.

That said, I haven't played the game, but I don't really want to.

Not my cup of tea, and a lot of the criticisms of the game have turned me off to it.
[sub]I just think telling a story out of order is a bad idea.[/sub]

That said, if ya like it, that's okay.

Funny show today Yahtzee. :D

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
Even though I didn't enjoy Heavy Rain too much, I definitely prefer that over Beyond. I agree with Yahtzee with every criticism he has with the game, and more.

Funny how everyone just calls Jodie "Ellen Page" now, they just can't be arsed. =p
See what you've done, David Cage?

(Still think Omikron: The Nomad Soul is Quantic Dream's best game)
Agreed, but that's likely because that game actually had real gameplay.

Conversely, I wanted my money back after "Ellen Page Variety Hour." It's a novelty worth a bargain bin purchase of $20-$30, and nothing more. Granted, I would like to see where the stories goes from the end (per the "epilogue"), but not at $60.

I always say that I would take a good storyline over good gameplay. However, that is assuming the storytelling isn't disjointed, and there's substantial gameplay to speak of.

I do like the game, yet I'm still disappointed. Heck, Dragon's Lair had more gameplay than this, and it was one giant QTE.

abort_user

Aug 4, 2009
VanQ said:
The thing that struck me about this game is it's almost exactly the game that Sarkeesian asked for. Less like a game and more like a movie. And what gameplay there is, make it easy as fuck. It even has a female protagonist. Dunno if I was the only one that noticed this but I expect to hear her gushing about it any day now.
that is not what Sarkeesian asked for. have you even seen her videos?! she also never said only good games have female protagonists. and quite frankly i imagine she would have a problem with using rape as a cheap way to make us feel sympathy for the protagonist (and rightfully so).

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
This game seriously disappointed me. It's not especially bad it's just that the story is stupidly simple, not especially deep, and not particularly well written. It's a bunch of crying and hushed whispers about super serious business. Seriously, the crying got old really fast. Because Jodie always cries and always suffers, I'm not sure when I'm supposed to feel bad for her, so I decided to just not feel bad for her. It was just boring.

I just wish I could hear that things Aiden decided to say; "Hey, so I possessed that guy and murdered those two cops like you asked me to. I wasn't sure what to do with the guy after that so I just had him shoot himself.. so ya know, three families are now without fathers."

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
erttheking said:
All right I'm just gonna come right out and say it. With the exception of all the controversy around the Last of Us and this game, I have no fraking idea who the fuck Ellen Page is. Can someone please tell me what the big broo ha ha is? How come so many people love her and how come so many people here hate her?

Also there's a lot of David Cage hatred going on in here. I know there was that whole Emotions Emotions Emotions thing, but what did he do to get people to hate him THIS much? I thought the general conscientious was that Heavy Rain was decent at the very least. Even Yahtzee liked it.
The first thing I remember Page being in was the Movie Juno.
http://www.teenidols4you.com/picture.html?g=Actors&pe=ellenpage&foto=554&act=1697&mv=2353&pic=235386
As for what she did after that? Eh, just go look on the wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Page

As for why people hate David Cage?

Well, yes there is the "Emotions" thing, but I have also heard he's got a VERY big ego.

One story I heard from Jim was when Cage was suppose to have an interview with Destructoid but they couldn't put it up because Cage just spent an hour complaining about how Jim gave Heavy Rain a 7 out of 10.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Imp Emissary said:
erttheking said:

Also there's a lot of David Cage hatred going on in here. I know there was that whole Emotions Emotions Emotions thing, but what did he do to get people to hate him THIS much? I thought the general conscientious was that Heavy Rain was decent at the very least. Even Yahtzee liked it.
The first thing I remember Page being in was the Movie Juno.
http://www.teenidols4you.com/picture.html?g=Actors&pe=ellenpage&foto=554&act=1697&mv=2353&pic=235386
As for what she did after that? Eh, just go look on the wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Page

As for why people hate David Cage?

Well, yes there is the "Emotions" thing, but I have also heard he's got a VERY big ego.

One story I heard from Jim was when Cage was suppose to have an interview with Destructoid but they couldn't put it up because Cage just spent an hour complaining about how Jim gave Heavy Rain a 7 out of 10.
The only one of those I've seen was Inception it seems. Can't say I cared one bit for the pile of sophmoric blather so it's a bit of a blur to me, aside from Edith Piaf. Even Nolans inane movies can't ruin Edith Piaf. Was Ellen Page that girl who was like some sort of wizard kid the Leonardo found at some school?

TurkeyProphet

Aug 18, 2009
I'm really put off by Ellen Page being in this game the way she is. I don't mind her in films and I wouldn't care about a voice over but just putting a celebrity in like this just strikes me as creepy and kinda egotistical. LA Noire did something similar but the character was still clearly Cole Phelps and not that dude out of Mad Men. For me this is a bit like making a cartoon of yourself and then voicing it. It might work for a comedy but a serious story? Why?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
From what little I saw of a friend playing this game, the writing was horrible.

It wasn't that bad at first, but then it got to the birthday party and I just had to roll my eyes because of how stupid it was. Kids can be horrible little monsters yeah, but that was just silly. "Show us your super murder ghost powers!" followed shortly by "A book!? BUUUURN HEEEEER!".

Not to mention how stereotypically over the top the kids were acting before that. It was like a cheesy 80's sitcom where the writers have no idea how to write teenagers properly.

The drama feels so forced that it's cringe worthy. It's like someone keeps running up to you and screaming "FEEL SOMETHING" into your ear.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
rhodo said:
Tank207 said:

It wasn't that bad at first, but then it got to the birthday party and I just had to roll my eyes because of how stupid it was. Kids can be horrible little monsters yeah, but that was just silly. "Show us your super murder ghost powers!" followed shortly by "A book!? BUUUURN HEEEEER!". Not to mention how stereotypically over the top the kids were acting before that.

Has it ever occurred to you that, you know, the characters were INTENDED to be stereotypical?
Whether it was intentional or not, it was still beyond cringeworthy. Like I said in the edit of my post, it felt like I was watching a bad 80's sitcom where the writers didn't know how to write kids. It was so forced to the point of comedy.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion, this is your funniest review yet! The name changes, the riffs on David Cage, and summing up what I thought would be wrong about the thing I hesitate to call a "game". I had a bad feeling about it back in E3 2012, the one with all those trailers for games that revealed something between "jack squat" and "bugger all" about their content. I got the same idea from The Last of Us, trying to be the "Oscar-bait" of video games. I know Yahtzee's a major proponent of games as art, but Cage seems to be all about this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrueArtIsIncomprehensible

Now it's a competition to see who's the creepier game auteur yammering on about EEEEMOOTIOOOOOOOOOOOOONS: Cage or Peter Molyneaux (I have no idea how to spell that).

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Passing the controller around and making fun of the game is how I both co-oped AND enjoyed Heavy Rain.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
rhodo said:
Tank207 said:

It wasn't that bad at first, but then it got to the birthday party and I just had to roll my eyes because of how stupid it was. Kids can be horrible little monsters yeah, but that was just silly. "Show us your super murder ghost powers!" followed shortly by "A book!? BUUUURN HEEEEER!". Not to mention how stereotypically over the top the kids were acting before that.

Has it ever occurred to you that, you know, the characters were INTENDED to be stereotypical?
Something being intentional=/=something being good.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that something you like might have a few problems.