Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Robot Number V said:
Hmm. I don't think that's exactly true, though this is kind a personal interpretation: See, when Elizabeth expands the tears, I don't think she's just taking herself and Booker through a portal to a completely separate reality. It's more like she's taking another reality and...superimposing it over the existing one. Remember how all the dead guards "inherited" their memories of their formerly dead selves: This means that the two realities are connected at least in some way. My personal theory is that there's only ever one true version of the universe, and all the other universes don't actually exist until somebody observes them. It's like Schrodinger's Cat. The cat is alive and dead until someone observes it in either state, and at that point whichever state isn't observed simply collapses. [footnote]Unless I don't understand Schrodinger's Cat nearly as well as I think I do, which is extremely possible.[/footnote] Basically, Elizabeth has the power to open the box and see the cat in both states, and choose for herself which state becomes "reality".

So she IS technically responsible for choosing the "Shit Has Gotten Messy" reality and bringing it into existence, even if she was only trying to move some guns. Though you could argue that moving those guns was directly related to the shit getting messy, and Elizabeth knew that at the time she was trying to move them. The phrase "uprising" had already been thrown around, she knew what she getting into.
I personally really like this interpretation, because a.) it doesn't have a bunch of loose ends like "What about the other elizabeth?" and "How is it that songbird is still hunting you?", b.) It doesn't feel like you left the universe you started out in 3 universes back and never went back(of course, at the end it doesn't really mater) and finally, c.) it fits in a lot more with the whole "why elizabeth was kept in a tower" thing, because a reality warper who can create a new universe because she wants to is pretty fucking dangerous.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
boradis said:
I'm sorry, but the Vox were utterly, utterly in the right. And turning them into the enemies for the final acts of the game is amazingly unfair to the cause of oppressed peoples. Even after they shoehorned in the scene of Daisy trying to murder a kid it didn't undermine the cause of equal rights, it just showed that she was a psycho. So while I didn't mind it when Elizabeth killed her, my stomach was in knots for the rest of the game as I was forced to kill people who only wanted to be treated like people. Granted, my Irish grandfather whom I'm named after was a union organizer in the 20s so I'm a bit biased. But I would have disagreed with Dewitt in his comparison of Comstock and Fitzroy regardless.
To paraphrase Cath from The Last Express, Just because they have a sympathetic cause doesn't mean they aren't terrorists. In real life, a lot of groups that were fighting oppression ended up committing a lot of the same kind of sins once they managed to overthrow their oppressors.

One of my favorite examples of this was Max Robespierre, from the French Revolution. The man was a lawyer for basic human rights before the revolution, only to be one of those most responsible for the Reign of Terror, where pretty much anyone who had formerly had any kind of power(the church and the landed) ended up getting their heads cut off(regardless if they had committed any actual crimes againest the poor).

The revolution will not be civilized, indeed.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
I think a lot of hyping this game comes from people who like to think of themselves as clever for understanding the plot twist, and the hate similarily comes from people who like to think of themselves as even more clever for pointing out obvious nitpicks.

Yes, the game's interpretation of the multiple universe theory is shaky, there are certainly plotholes, but I for one did not care while playing it. Sure, after the fact you can sit here and write up a list of inconsistencies, but thats besides the point. The question is do the inconsistencies hurt suspension of disbelief while playing it, and for the overwhelming majority of people, the answer is no.

The whole vigor thing was poorly implemented into the storyline, but then again did it need to? Bioshock 1 build it's storyline around the plasmids, but it wasn't a game about the dangers of biotechnology specifically. The connection between gameplay and story wasn't integral to the game, and neither is the disconnection between the two in Infinite a major problem.

I also don't get why the weapons would have to be anything flashy. Does it matter whether the machine gun shoots wasps or bullets? What matters is that the guns don't all feel the same and allow as many gameplay styles as possible. I think the more important issue is that, due to the shield, long range cover based combat is strictly superior, which renders many of the mid-range weapons (like the standard machine gun) pretty pointless.

The real issue I have with the game is how the combat hurts the pacing of the story. Especially towards the end, where the story picks up a lot of speed, but the battles slow down quite a bit due to the sheer numbers of enemies and appearance of multiple patriots or a Handyman. The worst offender was the battle against Lady Comstock, doing the exact same thing three times in a row. In a game where death has next to no adverse effects, there really is no point in drawing fights out for so long. I assume the developers felt that the playtime really was kind of short for a full price game, and tried to pad it out a bit.

I also didn't like how you basically became a one-man army towards the end, slaughtering enemies left and right. It made me feel a slight disconnect to the combat, and it really did not fit the story all too well. At least in Bioschock 1, you are a genetically engineered superhuman, but in Infinite, you are just a generic soldier. It would have been more believable to have the Vox uprising (it's already a very convenient Rebellion, why not expand on that) do the heavy lifting while you fight key engagements.

So the game had me frustrated at points, the difficulty curve isn't quite perfect, but overall it was just great fun playing it. Engaging story, interesting ideas, good combat. No game is ever perfect, but Infinite is about as good a game as you can ever expect. Everyone feeling disappointed needs to seriously adjust their expectations.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
1rock said:
I really don't know what your problem is? Yes Google ?times-out? all the time hence the 5 minutes now I may have neglected to say that I have to hit the "f5" key a couple of times.
The problem is that you said it takes 5 minutes to load. That's not what's happening - you appear to be having intermittent connection problems, Loading time doesn't seem to be the main problem. Each time you hit "reload" - the timer starts again. So, while you may have waited 5 minutes to eventually load the page, that doesn't mean it took 5 minutes to load.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
NWJ94 said:
DjinnFor said:
Thus leading to most of the population descending into splicers and Ryan eventually needing to release the gas that lets him control them, thus reinforcing the central irony. That in his quest to be totally Objectivist he became a dictator.
That's not really ironic... if you observe society and history closely, that's pretty obviously where Objectivism leads to. Putting the individual above all else, and completely eschewing collectivism or community, will end up in dictatorship and fascism.

It's not really rocket science, but for some reason Objectivists have a peculiar blind spot about this. I guess much like Communists have a blind spot when it comes to over-emphasis on the collective over the individual. Neither of these extremes work outside of imaginary utopias.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Stephen Sossna said:
I think a lot of hyping this game comes from people who like to think of themselves as clever for understanding the plot twist, and the hate similarily comes from people who like to think of themselves as even more clever for pointing out obvious nitpicks.

*snip*

So the game had me frustrated at points, the difficulty curve isn't quite perfect, but overall it was just great fun playing it. Engaging story, interesting ideas, good combat. No game is ever perfect, but Infinite is about as good a game as you can ever expect. Everyone feeling disappointed needs to seriously adjust their expectations.
Hm, maybe it's about cleverness and plot twists, probably it is true for some, but i'd actually point out the second argument of yours, expectations and to that game design.
Because those are pretty much the actual topics why i'm saying i like the game "overall", but am nit-picking about it so much. The expectations on this one aren't coming out of nowhere! As of Mass Effect (and in special ME3) as a comparison: Mass Effect 3 wasn't "bad", not at all and if it would have stood there not being a sequel and so "hyped", noone would've probably raged about it to begin with, because of that horribly bad and generic designed ending, the developers hyped in advance themselves! But they did and they completely failed to deliver what they were telling us (a complex ending based on all the actions you would have done so far throughout the series), but made a generic "you want the blue, the green, or the red explosion?".

Now looking at Infinite, the problem isn't really the ending that much, partially because Levine promoted it differently and said in advance "it will be special, but i don't know how it will effect the players, if they'll like it or not" (or something like that). I have mixed feelings about the ending, pretty much because all this multidimension-stuff looks kind of messy to me to begin with, but they designed the ending rather well, as narration (even if it suuucks gameplay-wise, considering for about 20mins you have nothing to do but walk after Elisapeth, but whatever).
No, it actually is about ALL the rest of the game! The expectations obviously came from BioShock (and BS2 and for some even from the first titles of the Shock-series) and from what the developers already promoted.
And what is/was all this? Well BioShock already was an awesome game, coming from a studio which was pretty much unknown until then and had produced nothing by themselves so far (though they had allignment with a bigger studio, namely "2K Games"), which made it all the more exciting and i would say comparable to the success of so many indy games: They aren't perfect as well, but they are often made with love, much thought and since they are "fresh", you don't expect anything. So BioShock rocked, because it had great narrative, some of the most amazing characters and icons ever, and some polished shooter/superpower gameplay, though this was neither new, nor really good...

And then (while BS2 was thrown out somewhat "hasty", but i'll just avoid to further include it in this now), they have more experience, more money, more time and more support to produce another game to the series they call "Infinite"!
No wonder expectations had to boom to an immense hype, which the studio obviously used and even incited with trailers of amazingly complex gameplay-design and a deep character relation comparable to just a few titles in games.
And then what?
Most of the exciting stuff in the trailers is gone, the narrative is simply worse designed than those of the former Shock titles, with lots of holes and even some more created by some fan-service they probably saw the need to implement, less deep content, characters and relationships, gone from "here's a mighty, but shady political head figure, threatening/ trying to use a woman with complex powers (close to the later Elizabeth, but with the drawback of endangering her body whenever she would use them) and a man who is torn between using these powers to get out alive and protecting her" to "i'm a religious & racist zealot, everyone understands i'm evil! i'm a depressed, traumatized veteran, trying to 'wipe away some mysterious debt'; and i'm a naive girl who goes from frightened to happy to misstrusting to trusting within minutes, because that's what girls do" (though this is only pointing out the "badly" designed parts of those characters, while i still love many parts about them and think that Elizabeth is one of the best female characters created in gaming so far, though the bar isn't the highest anyways). And while fucking up all these points, which were so well created in the former BioShock, they still managed to keep most of the parts which were already bad and even made some worse! Combat simply is tideous and often unexciting, when you aren't near a skyline and have to pump legions of enemies and some bigger bullet sponges with whatever happens to be arround you, just to get to the next awesome plot point. And that gear! Oh that gear - i won't go on about it again...

This simply makes Infinite worse than BioShock and for what? For creating a more generic shooter, which could appeal to more people who probably haven't played the former Shock-titles and to make easy money that way (interestingly enough this was already pointed out by SystemShock fans about the creation of BioShock)! I was skeptical when Levine already stated, that they would try to be more "appealing", when the "controversy" about the cover-art arose, but i still hoped it would only be to better hook those who wouldn't have played the former titles, but still bring what those who had played them would be expecting.
And no, it doesn't and that's why i'm liking it, but still nit-picking so hard about it and constantly stating, that it doesn't deserve the "love" most critics give it, because they are rewarding bad/lazy design, compared to what they could/ should have provided!
Edit: And player/consumer unfriendly ways of marketing, but hey, what else is new?

1rock

Apr 10, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
The problem is that you said it takes 5 minutes to load. That's not what's happening - you appear to be having intermittent connection problems, Loading time doesn't seem to be the main problem. Each time you hit "reload" - the timer starts again. So, while you may have waited 5 minutes to eventually load the page, that doesn't mean it took 5 minutes to load.
Dude you are welcome to think whatever you want. Fact is you cannot tell me what I experienced. Is it a browser problem a connection problem or a virus. I don't know... But this is what I do know.

Have a look at Posting Guidelines. Actually have a look at the TOP ONE:

Don't Be a Jerk
This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here and we have no problem revoking your account. Here are a couple of the things you should stay away from:

arsenalabu

Iron Maiden's backup Trombonist
May 26, 2011
Kris D said:
Friederich said:
Dear Yahtzee, what does Bioshock Infinite have to do with Infinite Jest ? Which I'm currently halfway through, so don't spoil it for me.
Or is it just for the infinite?
Very likely he's referring the line from Hamlet. Where Hamlet holds the skull of the court jester in his hand and says, "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio. A fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!"

The point being a double reference on the surface to the fact that Yahtzee is very funny guy. But on a deeper level he's also claiming to be much less happy than he appears. All of which he is saying ironically (I think).

And good on you for reading DFW's master work. It's a brilliant book and should be read with access to an online OED, DSM IV-TR, Stedman's Medical Dictionary, and the smartest philosophy major you can kidnap. At least that was what I needed in order to understand what was going on.
I thought he was just hammering home the pretentious point. It's a good book, but it does at times get a bit too enamored with itself. The entire ending
Pemulis being effectively killed off in an endnote, the entire DMZ subplot never being resolved, not having a climax at the Whataburger and ending the novel in a flashback(that seemed to mean something that I never figured out)
was a bit pretentious in how DFW chose to write it.
Kind of like what Yahtzee was saying about Bioshock Infinite.
Or maybe it was Hamlet.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
1rock said:
Have a look at Posting Guidelines. Actually have a look at the TOP ONE:

Don't Be a Jerk
This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here and we have no problem revoking your account. Here are a couple of the things you should stay away from:
How was I being a jerk? I was just speaking factually. I never called you names or did anything personal, I was just discussing technical issues.

EdwardHowton

Mar 24, 2009
This has to be the most backhanded and uncertain compliment to a game I have ever seen, and I absolutely love it. Praise without gushing, and criticism without polarization. Fantastic.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
Soak said:
Now looking at Infinite, the problem isn't really the ending that much, partially because Levine promoted it differently and said in advance "it will be special, but i don't know how it will effect the players, if they'll like it or not" (or something like that). I have mixed feelings about the ending, pretty much because all this multidimension-stuff looks kind of messy to me to begin with, but they designed the ending rather well, as narration (even if it suuucks gameplay-wise, considering for about 20mins you have nothing to do but walk after Elisapeth, but whatever).
20 Minutes? Not quite. I think you are exaggerating quite a bit here. And the question is how else could it have been done? The ending required a lot of exposition, and that couldn't exactly be handed to you while you were fighting. As far as ending sequences go, it was actually refreshingly interactive, requiring you do actually do the actions, which increased your identification with the character and hence the emotional impact.

Soak said:
No, it actually is about ALL the rest of the game! The expectations obviously came from BioShock (and BS2 and for some even from the first titles of the Shock-series) and from what the developers already promoted.
And what is/was all this? Well BioShock already was an awesome game, coming from a studio which was pretty much unknown until then and had produced nothing by themselves so far (though they had allignment with a bigger studio, namely "2K Games"), which made it all the more exciting and i would say comparable to the success of so many indy games: They aren't perfect as well, but they are often made with love, much thought and since they are "fresh", you don't expect anything. So BioShock rocked, because it had great narrative, some of the most amazing characters and icons ever, and some polished shooter/superpower gameplay, though this was neither new, nor really good...

And then (while BS2 was thrown out somewhat "hasty", but i'll just avoid to further include it in this now), they have more experience, more money, more time and more support to produce another game to the series they call "Infinite"!
No wonder expectations had to boom to an immense hype, which the studio obviously used and even incited with trailers of amazingly complex gameplay-design and a deep character relation comparable to just a few titles in games.
And then what?
There is a difference between "hype" and false advertising. A hype is something mainly generated by the playerbase (though it can be fanned by the publishers) and the developers are probably the people who have the least to do with it. Hyping up a game is always bad. You can never fulfill hyped up expectations. That is why if you, as a gamer, allow yourself to get hyped up for a game, you are making a mistake that will likely sour your enjoyment of the game. We know advertisements and trailers make things look more awesome than they probably are. We know that for all the advertisement, the game will likely have at least a few significant flaws. However, insofar as you are accusing the game of flat out false advertisement:

Soak said:
Most of the exciting stuff in the trailers is gone...
That is simply factually false. The Trailers did not spoil actual scenes from the game, that is true. But all the elements were there. The Trailers showcased no feature that wasn't actually in the game. The only thing different is the sequence of events, and that was perfectly fine, as it actually meant the devs did do the extra work to create realistic trailers without spoiling any actual story.

Soak said:
...the narrative is simply worse designed than those of the former Shock titles, with lots of holes and even some more created by some fan-service they probably saw the need to implement, less deep content, characters and relationships, gone from "here's a mighty, but shady political head figure, threatening/ trying to use a woman with complex powers (close to the later Elizabeth, but with the drawback of endangering her body whenever she would use them) and a man who is torn between using these powers to get out alive and protecting her" to "i'm a religious & racist zealot, everyone understands i'm evil! i'm a depressed, traumatized veteran, trying to 'wipe away some mysterious debt'; and i'm a naive girl who goes from frightened to happy to misstrusting to trusting within minutes, because that's what girls do" (though this is only pointing out the "badly" designed parts of those characters, while i still love many parts about them and think that Elizabeth is one of the best female characters created in gaming so far, though the bar isn't the highest anyways). And while fucking up all these points, which were so well created in the former BioShock, they still managed to keep most of the parts which were already bad and even made some worse! Combat simply is tideous and often unexciting, when you aren't near a skyline and have to pump legions of enemies and some bigger bullet sponges with whatever happens to be arround you, just to get to the next awesome plot point. And that gear! Oh that gear - i won't go on about it again...
That is all highly subjective. As I said, the plot certainly has holes, but none of them in any way affect the impact of the story as you play it. The plot and characters are certainly not on the level of good Literature, but they are still a fair bit ahead of the crowd. This goes back to "if you expect the game to be the best of everything ever made, you are going to be disappointed".

Also I can't find a single point about the combat that the first Bioshock did better than infinite. You do remember how tedious the big daddy fights could be, or how not having the right ammunition at hand could screw you up, of how all enemies where basically the same? There is a lot of selective perception going on in regards to Bioshock 1.

The weapon limit was functionally the same in Bioshock. Sure you could carry all the weapons, but you needed ammo for them, and you could only upgrade 2 to 3 weapons fully, which meant that, in practice, you were pretty much restricted to those. Neither do the vigors have less functionality than the plasmids, the functionality is just differently integrated. The only thing clearly missing is rage, but that always was an inferior possession anyways. Saying the combat in Infinite isn't perfect is fine, but I feel the people heavily criticising it tend to leave out all the interesting ideas that the game at least tried: Sky rail combat, switching between tears, heavy emphasis on positioning and traps.

Soak said:
This simply makes Infinite worse than BioShock and for what? For creating a more generic shooter, which could appeal to more people who probably haven't played the former Shock-titles and to make easy money that way (interestingly enough this was already pointed out by SystemShock fans about the creation of BioShock)! I was skeptical when Levine already stated, that they would try to be more "appealing", when the "controversy" about the cover-art arose, but i still hoped it would only be to better hook those who wouldn't have played the former titles, but still bring what those who had played them would be expecting.
And no, it doesn't and that's why i'm liking it, but still nit-picking so hard about it and constantly stating, that it doesn't deserve the "love" most critics give it, because they are rewarding bad/lazy design, compared to what they could/ should have provided!
Edit: And player/consumer unfriendly ways of marketing, but hey, what else is new?
I get how people who expected the game to be more like system shock are disappointed. But who are you to judge what the developers should have provided? I find that argument terribly pretentious. I have watched that video review people have posted here, and it's main point is, similarily to yours, how the author thinks the game should have been done:
- It should have elaborated on the founders/vox conflict and its implications more. Why? What could the game possibly have said that wouldn't come over as trite? That conflict is so old, there really isn't anything to say about it. No game is obligated to make political statements in regard to every conflict that is part of the story
- There should have been more inventory management and puzzles. Why? Inventory management in Bioshock didn't provide much for the gameplay, and it was actually criticized quite a bit for it's puzzles, which quickly got very, very boring. Now that these puzzles are gone people suddenly complain, as if they had forgotten that everyone thought the puzzles were stupid.

I think that if you honestly go back to Bioshock 1 and make a list of all the pros and cons of this game, the list of cons wouldn't be shorter than in Infinite. And if the game is up there with one of the best FPS/RPGs ever made, then why, really, would anyone be disappointed? Even if you expected the game to be "much better" than the original Bioshock, "pretty much as good as" would still be 9/10, would it not?

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
TopazFusion said:
I think I also missed the significance of the 4 gay blokes.

Well, time for a replay...
God only Knows came out in the 60's. Hint hint.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
He didn't like the ending of the first Bioshock?

He must have gotten the "evil" ending, because the "good" ending stuck with me like few other endings have and almost moved me to tears.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Stephen Sossna said:
Soak said:
20 Minutes? Not quite. I think you are exaggerating quite a bit here. And the question is how else could it have been done? The ending required a lot of exposition, and that couldn't exactly be handed to you while you were fighting. As far as ending sequences go, it was actually refreshingly interactive, requiring you do actually do the actions, which increased your identification with the character and hence the emotional impact.
Ok, i was exaggerating, i didn't actually meassure the time when i was going through it, but then again, considering it is "interactive", you could easily prolonge the time neaded to 20 minutes. But obviously that's not the point, that's never the point of exaggeration, point is, it is pretty long, but then again, compared to other story based-games, this appears to be in the current trend. I think, they could have just made it something like a cut-scene, similar to the conclusion from the former Shock titles, because honestly, at that point in the game i would've had nothing against it to just lay back, relax and see what was coming to me, because the "identification", or immersion or whatever, was pretty much gone for me, considering i noticed throughout the game that what i was doing would have had no real effect on the outcome and that all the points you were presented with a "choice", were just creating the illusion of choice in the first place.

Taking it's peak in the scene recent before the end, the confrontation with Comstock. When i had to "intervene" (and it is mandatory, the game just halts until you do it and there is no other option to get out of the situation, so what "choice" is there, but to otherwise stop playing?), i felt nothing more but "pity" (it doesn't quite describe what i actually feld, probably there's a better word, but i can't think of it right now) for Comstock and his motivations, so i would have actually let him live and left him alone in his knowledge that his plan was meant to fail. But nooo, in this sitation the game takes control from me and drowns him, giving him exactly what he wanted?! That is simply bad for immersion, sure it is subjective and some might have sit infront of their monitor thinking "yeah, take that Comstock"

but then again, every form of immersion is subjective, that's what it is all about, the question is how the player character is designed to deliver this immersion, if you are just "watching over the shoulder", as you guide the character through the game, but know it is an independet character, or if you are able to make every/most meaningfull decisions and thereby influence the character and the game itself (and some other possible forms to create a character). BioShock (and BS2) had a "nameless, faceless" protagonist, of whom you could still get to know some interesting background story, but which were basically "blank slates" to be filled by the player, down to several game influencing situations and "individual" endings derived from them. This makes for very good immersion, close to no matter who is playing. For DeWitt, he has a face and a name and a story being a crucial part of the main story itself, which is determined to break the immersion with some players going through the game. Now, i don't even see this as one of the major problems of the game, but it conflicts with the point of possible identification throughout the game and also with, as already mentioned, some of the "illusive choices", which then have no real impact throughout the game

yes, depending on weither you attempt to throw the ball at the announcer or the couple has an influence on a later situation and makes the couple either give you a gear, or attack you, but honestly, it still is nothing more than illusion and has no real impact throughout the game, starting with how the situation at the ralley resolves, neither later, when a body-count of +-2 makes no difference at all. and the other "choices" have even less meaning/impact throughout the game

and honestly, how interactive was the ending realy? You can just take a rest and do nothing, or jump into her face and Elizabeth wouldn't mind, because it was all scripted and didn't care for how you "interacted" with the game anymore, it's just the question of "when to move on", as you trigger the script along the way. I tried to interact with the ending

by taking another route when you have an option throughout the walk of the lighthouses

but it simply doesn't matter! While i also think this is kinda nice looking at the conclusion itself, it could have also had no matter while showing a cut-scene.
Stephen Sossna said:
Soak said:
There is a difference between "hype" and false advertising. A hype is something mainly generated by the playerbase (though it can be fanned by the publishers) and the developers are probably the people who have the least to do with it. Hyping up a game is always bad. You can never fulfill hyped up expectations. That is why if you, as a gamer, allow yourself to get hyped up for a game, you are making a mistake that will likely sour your enjoyment of the game. We know advertisements and trailers make things look more awesome than they probably are. We know that for all the advertisement, the game will likely have at least a few significant flaws. However, insofar as you are accusing the game of flat out false advertisement:

Soak said:
Most of the exciting stuff in the trailers is gone...
That is simply factually false. The Trailers did not spoil actual scenes from the game, that is true. But all the elements were there. The Trailers showcased no feature that wasn't actually in the game. The only thing different is the sequence of events, and that was perfectly fine, as it actually meant the devs did do the extra work to create realistic trailers without spoiling any actual story.
Ehm, yeah, OBJECTION or something ^^
Hype and false advertising are obviously entwined most of the time, as for this case. As i was trying to point out already, if ME3 wouldn't have had such good titles leading to it, it wouldn't have been hyped and if the developers/marketing wouldn't have promoted an amazingly complex ending and 'yadidadida', it probably wouldn't have been raged about. As for the relation of developers and marketing: Well, i'm not sitting in a game-studio myself, but i have been sitting in a company as a worker in conflict with the marketing of the company myself and i had to leave. I don't and can't really know (unless they would make it transparent in any way), how much "conflict" there ever was between the developers and the marketing in this case, but i do know that the marketing can not promote, what the developers aren't providing them with, considering gameplay trailers, or at least, the developers would have a choice to differentiate themselves from the marketing done, if it isn't showing what they are actually doing - though i can understand that developers often wouldn't do this, considering it will likely cost them their jobs. However, if you know about "injustice", are in the position to, but won't act about it, you make yourself responsible of "failure to assist" or what's it called in english, i don't know for sure; though this is not even supposed to be a trial and probably would not hold up against well payed lawyers saying otherwise/ contracts made which insist, developers won't talk about anything their publisher wouldn't want them to talk about in the first place, but it tells us something about their moral.
However, they made "false advertisment" and by that incited the hype, promoting things throughout the whole course of development, which then where missing in the actual game!

For some examples:
<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6_PSJJFqmk> earliest gameplay video
1:30 cool thing, except as i remember something like this never happens in the game
4:00 yeah, i loved it, except you can't do it in the game like this, you just have a charge for dmg and a push for zoning, which you get way to late in the game for my opinion, but you just can't do it like this
4:10 oh yeah, Telekinesis is gone, no more pulling objects towars yourself
4:48 no cannon in the entire game works like this, to bad
6:10 again, no Telekinesis available, not at all
6:28 impossible to do in the game
7:10 oh yeah, one of the most interesting things promoted throughout all the trailers, gone
7:35 again, no Telekinesis
7:40 nope, no object in the game behaves like that
7:55 to cool, but again, never possible within the game
8:50 nope
9:12 yes, here they presented the "Elizabeth has to use her powers with restraint, or she will harm herself" premise, which appeared super awesome to most who had watched the trailer but is now gone

for one presented throughout<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7BbE4LnMuE>the middle of development
1:00 here we see Comstock as a politician, this was further promoted in interviews
1:08 recognize how the Vigor gets a counter instead of a salt bar, well until then they said they would want to make the Vigors with a limited number of uses for each bottle found, which they then dropped (probably explains why you find so many Vigor-bottles later in the game which then just turn into salt)
4:15 never happens in any way comparable
6:30 no
8:00 as already presented through the last few minutes and getting to its peak in this very moment, in the game you never really have the posibility to make a decision like this, or if you want to just qietly move on or fight to do anything in the first place. Now you could point out the parts were you could "steal", or one particular with a potion in some kind of "shop" you could scip and go along, or "fight the owners for"... but those parts are so poorly designed, really! For the potion it is an invisuble line you have to pass somewhat infront of the potion, which will trigger a script making the peops standing before it to immediatly attack and the "stealing" is so random and with so little consequences, that i first didn't even recognize the difference and when i opened the first crate but didn't even take anything from it i notice "wait, wasn't the subtext red or something? what's that supposed to mean", but close to everyone around was already starting to attack and later, i didn't care anymore, because it would barely make a difference
8:25 no, never a point on the game
8:45 recognize the tear saying "doorway"? never appears in the game. an interwiev stated, that tears like these would accure to possibly bypass fights, which would have been cool, but was dropped
9:20 to bad, but no
10:15 remember the "superpower limit" for Elizabeth, kinda different, but still up in this trailer. Maybe i didn't use the tears in the game enough, because in most fights i only needed one or two, but i never recognized any restrictions, but it seemed like you could switch just as you wanted, whenever you wanted
12:00 i can't remember any skyline where you had the need to swith mid-riding, if in any cases, you only had obstacles to restrict parts before you would have cleared them away
12:45 where are all these dudes from? i mean, when i played through all the zepelins you could enter to bring them down were pretty much empty inside, or are there more on hard?

...and looking through the interweb these were actually the only two "major" trailers, later ones get shorter and shorter and show/tell less and less about the game. However, they never "corrected" the announcements they made or showed us throughougt development, on the contrary, in many interviews and announcements, i'm now to lazy to look up, they stated more enthusiasticly, how awesome the pieces they showed us would come together and form a complex world of choices on how to navigate through Columbia and how to resolve the problems at hand. Sure, they are allowed to change things, i can even imagine how sometimes developers have to be dissapointed, if some feature they wanted to implement then gets scratched in the process, because of various different reasons, but when it changes the majority of the gameplay you already showed to players, wouldn't it be good to say so? In a way, these trailers work like those/ the one for "Aliens: Colonial Marines" and i don't think i have to tell anyone how that played out? So please, don't try to tell me i would be factually false on this one, or show me how exactly i am.

Stephen Sossna said:
Soak said:
That is all highly subjective. As I said, the plot certainly has holes, but none of them in any way affect the impact of the story as you play it. The plot and characters are certainly not on the level of good Literature, but they are still a fair bit ahead of the crowd. This goes back to "if you expect the game to be the best of everything ever made, you are going to be disappointed".
Now we could find out what is subjective and what is of measurable quality in a narrative, but i don't really feel like it right now :).
Instead, i would again just like to point out the comparison to the former BioShock: You didn't have to, but you could find out so much about the background stories of all those you encountered (every area, every named and even some unnamed enemies you would find) throughout playing it and even some more (sidestories told about characters you would never encounter, further establishing the whole background story of Rapture - and say what you want, but there are only half the amount of Voxophones in Infinite present and to me many of those appeared to be only half as interesting), plus the actions you took within the game actually had impact on the outcome (not in the best way designed, but it was very cool at the time the game was made and further increases immersion, which isn't as good in Infinite, making it a more complex, better narrated game. I can just imagine how cool it would have been to implement this into Infinite again, that your choices actually matter and that you would get different endings derived from those, blending perfectly into the premise of multiple dimensions. I am sad they didn't do that, yes, that is as subjective as it gets, but they certainly would have had the time and money and other recources to have done it and probably even better than in BioShock. They did otherwise and i respect that as an artistical statement, nonetheless i can still mention it.

Stephen Sossna said:
Also I can't find a single point about the combat that the first Bioshock did better than infinite. You do remember how tedious the big daddy fights could be, or how not having the right ammunition at hand could screw you up, of how all enemies where basically the same? There is a lot of selective perception going on in regards to Bioshock 1.

The weapon limit was functionally the same in Bioshock. Sure you could carry all the weapons, but you needed ammo for them, and you could only upgrade 2 to 3 weapons fully, which meant that, in practice, you were pretty much restricted to those. Neither do the vigors have less functionality than the plasmids, the functionality is just differently integrated. The only thing clearly missing is rage, but that always was an inferior possession anyways. Saying the combat in Infinite isn't perfect is fine, but I feel the people heavily criticising it tend to leave out all the interesting ideas that the game at least tried: Sky rail combat, switching between tears, heavy emphasis on positioning and traps.
Oh hell i can find lots of points to complain about the combat! The fact, that they did barely improve the points already criticized in BioShock, while they had said recources, knew about the problems, they could have changed them, but they didn't, is nothing but lazy design. Yes, as already said, the sky-devices are awesome and often make for exciting combat but then again aren't always present (sure if they would, they would become boring again fast), but in a way is even "counter" by so many other points which got even worse:
"Hacking" is now gone, or in a way replaced with that "charm" Vigor, which makes the combat more "fluent", considering you can fire it at any machine and know it now works for you for a set amount of time, but also less complex, compared to the former hacking, where you had to carefully look for the mechanical defences and sometimes plan on how to deal with them and as i liked it even more in BioShock 2, when you wanted to hack them in combat, you often got under preassure not to lose sight of your enemies and the hack-bar, unless you wanted to get toasted one way or another, or both ways. And here are the gears again... which replace the tonics from BioShock, which were well implemented in the game lore, were scattered throughout the game in set places, often secret (and there were lots more secrets in BioShock to reveal) and could make for nice combos, complementing the playstyle you would chose. The gear on the other hand has no connection to the lore (why would my hat set my sky-hook on fire?), is randomized on pickup and therefore may or may not complement your playstyle/ make for good combos (as i already stated in another post, i had a very wicked situation with gear, considering i had one for a long time which was completely useless to me, actually had a malus on what i originally wanted to do ("tunnel sight" or something it's called, one of the few with a malus), but i couldn't switch it out because i wouldn't find another piece for the slot for half the game, while i had one in another slot from close to the start, which would make me close to invulnurable whenever near a sky-device, which made for horribly broken combat). And compared to the Big Daddys (and Big Sisters for that), which you could chose when to fight or when to use for yourself to beat up others, while in Infinite you just get some "heavy hitters" sent against you in scripted situations which then would act like nothing but boring bullet sponges (i remember, when you get before the Bank of Columbia the first time, i big fight breaks out and at some point a handy-man appears. So i would just use the sky-line present to avoid him whenever possible, gun down the legions of other enemies, save him for last and then still need another minute just to finish him off because of his huge health bar).
Not to mention how the major part of gameplay as "super powers" (be it "Psionics", "Plasmids" or now "Vigors") is cut down on every title, making for easier/more simple, but less creative ways to use (Cyclone trap basically got implemented into all other Vigors, but would miss the push-ability, which was one of the best parts about it; Decoy is now implemented in tears, which are only axcessable in set places; Scout is missing in any form; the interaction with surroundings is seldom present and as already mentioned, but in my opinion most dissapointingly, Telekinesis is gone - and no, Undertow isn't Telekinesis, but more of a Sonic Boom which is only accessable for the last /10 of the game).
And while in System/ BioShock you had to "plan" on what to use, which "power to the people" station to use for what weapon upgrade, or on which Plasmid/Tonic to use your ADAM, in Infinite you just throw an amount of (random generated) money at whatever you want to use/try out.
I could probably think of some more examples for their bad combat-design, but already feel pretty save to say: They could and SHOULD have done better than this!

Stephen Sossna said:
Soak said:
I get how people who expected the game to be more like system shock are disappointed. But who are you to judge what the developers should have provided? I find that argument terribly pretentious. I have watched that video review people have posted here, and it's main point is, similarily to yours, how the author thinks the game should have been done:
- It should have elaborated on the founders/vox conflict and its implications more. Why? What could the game possibly have said that wouldn't come over as trite? That conflict is so old, there really isn't anything to say about it. No game is obligated to make political statements in regard to every conflict that is part of the story
- There should have been more inventory management and puzzles. Why? Inventory management in Bioshock didn't provide much for the gameplay, and it was actually criticized quite a bit for it's puzzles, which quickly got very, very boring. Now that these puzzles are gone people suddenly complain, as if they had forgotten that everyone thought the puzzles were stupid.

I think that if you honestly go back to Bioshock 1 and make a list of all the pros and cons of this game, the list of cons wouldn't be shorter than in Infinite. And if the game is up there with one of the best FPS/RPGs ever made, then why, really, would anyone be disappointed? Even if you expected the game to be "much better" than the original Bioshock, "pretty much as good as" would still be 9/10, would it not?
Well, i didn't expect Infinite to be more like SystemShock, i didn't even expect it to be "more like" BioShock. As from what i had seen and heard and read throughout the whole process of development i expected it to stand for it's own, but at least be as good as BioShock gameplay-wise. Though, i wasn't even as "hyped" as some others, i confess i was more hyped about Infinite than on any other game so far, but then i never was really hyped about any other game to begin with and i was still skeptical, which "promises" they made through trailers/ interviews and whatnot they would keep in the end.
Now, if i made a list of pros and cons about any Shock title i've played, sure there would be cons on any title, but i never said any of them would be perfect. But as i think about it, Infinite has much more cons and much less pros than any other title and this is simply out of balance (i would like to point out the different recources available to make them again) and even more out of balance considering all the good reviews it got.
So who am i to judge? Well, who is anyone to judge? Seriously, if the majority of "professional critics" isn't able to see and point at any of these flaws, but "blindly" praises Infinite and thereby do nothing but to follow the "hype", they just failed their profession! For myself, i am just a fan (and i rarely consider myself a "fan", but on this one it's true) of the former Shock-titles who sees how the franchise gets grinded down to a generic and for that even "bad" shooter with "some more story to tell" and i tell what i think about it, because it either gets "better again" in the future, or i stop playing and therefore buying the games of the series (which Levine hopes to bring out a title on a regular basis now) and as a customer, i have every right to do so!

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Yahtzee reviewed the game the way I thought he would: Pointing out how pretentious the game is, but still really enjoying it nonetheless because of its ambition, attention to detail, and how fun the combat is. It is not a perfect game, no game is, but it is still amazing. Even with my negatives (the Siren battles, or how could vigors not be seen as witchcraft in a religious zealot's society) and problems with the story (specifically the motivation of Comstock and why did he need Elizabeth to turn into a monster, and the ending in general) isn't enough to completely throw me off calling this a great game that's worth all the hype and love it's gotten. Still 8 months left in the year, however, so it isn't GOTY just yet, just a candidate.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
Soak said:
Ok, i was exaggerating, i didn't actually meassure the time when i was going through it, but then again, considering it is "interactive", you could easily prolonge the time neaded to 20 minutes. But obviously that's not the point, that's never the point of exaggeration, point is, it is pretty long, but then again, compared to other story based-games, this appears to be in the current trend. I think, they could have just made it something like a cut-scene,
I would have hated a cutscene, and I think the ending was splendid, but hey, to each his own.

Soak said:
Taking it's peak in the scene recent before the end, the confrontation with Comstock. When i had to "intervene" (and it is mandatory, the game just halts until you do it and there is no other option to get out of the situation, so what "choice" is there, but to otherwise stop playing?), i felt nothing more but "pity" (it doesn't quite describe what i actually feld, probably there's a better word, but i can't think of it right now) for Comstock and his motivations, so i would have actually let him live and left him alone in his knowledge that his plan was meant to fail. But nooo, in this sitation the game takes control from me and drowns him, giving him exactly what he wanted?! That is simply bad for immersion, sure it is subjective and some might have sit infront of their monitor thinking "yeah, take that Comstock"

but then again, every form of immersion is subjective, that's what it is all about, the question is how the player character is designed to deliver this immersion, if you are just "watching over the shoulder", as you guide the character through the game, but know it is an independet character, or if you are able to make every/most meaningfull decisions and thereby influence the character and the game itself (and some other possible forms to create a character). BioShock (and BS2) had a "nameless, faceless" protagonist, of whom you could still get to know some interesting background story, but which were basically "blank slates" to be filled by the player, down to several game influencing situations and "individual" endings derived from them. This makes for very good immersion, close to no matter who is playing. For DeWitt, he has a face and a name and a story being a crucial part of the main story itself, which is determined to break the immersion with some players going through the game. Now, i don't even see this as one of the major problems of the game, but it conflicts with the point of possible identification throughout the game and also with, as already mentioned, some of the "illusive choices", which then have no real impact throughout the game
This isn't even a question of immersion being subjective, it's an issue of conflating immersion and identification. In Bioshock 1, you were meant to project your character onto the protagonist and identify. In Infinite, the character has it's own personality and will act accordingly. You can be immersed in someone esle's life without agreeing with all their actions.

I also get the feeling you missed a crucial part of the plot: Constants and variables - has killed, kill, will kill. You coudln't influence these decisions because they are constants. What you could influence were the variables. And these were certainly not illusory, as I will explain below:

Soak said:
yes, depending on weither you attempt to throw the ball at the announcer or the couple has an influence on a later situation and makes the couple either give you a gear, or attack you, but honestly, it still is nothing more than illusion and has no real impact throughout the game, starting with how the situation at the ralley resolves, neither later, when a body-count of +-2 makes no difference at all. and the other "choices" have even less meaning/impact throughout the game
By what standard do you call these choices illusory? Because they didn't result in a different ending cutscene?
This is really all part of the plot: You make these small decisions, thinking that they will change something. Then after a while you realize they don't actually influence anything major and the conclusion is they are just gimmicks. However, it is heavily implied by the ending that each of your decisions was actually in some way directly responsible for your success. Because apparently you have tried 122 times and failed, so you must have done something right on the 123rd time.
Thats the moral of the story: Though there are always huge constants in our life we cannot influence, it's the small acts that define our path. Just because the universe is deterministic as a whole doesn't mean your actions are meaningless. Thats my take on it, anyways.

Soak said:
Ehm, yeah, OBJECTION or something ^^
Hype and false advertising are obviously entwined most of the time, as for this case. As i was trying to point out already, if ME3 wouldn't have had such good titles leading to it, it wouldn't have been hyped and if the developers/marketing wouldn't have promoted an amazingly complex ending and 'yadidadida', it probably wouldn't have been raged about. As for the relation of developers and marketing: Well, i'm not sitting in a game-studio myself, but i have been sitting in a company as a worker in conflict with the marketing of the company myself and i had to leave. I don't and can't really know (unless they would make it transparent in any way), how much "conflict" there ever was between the developers and the marketing in this case, but i do know that the marketing can not promote, what the developers aren't providing them with, considering gameplay trailers, or at least, the developers would have a choice to differentiate themselves from the marketing done, if it isn't showing what they are actually doing - though i can understand that developers often wouldn't do this, considering it will likely cost them their jobs. However, if you know about "injustice", are in the position to, but won't act about it, you make yourself responsible of "failure to assist" or what's it called in english, i don't know for sure; though this is not even supposed to be a trial and probably would not hold up against well payed lawyers saying otherwise/ contracts made which insist, developers won't talk about anything their publisher wouldn't want them to talk about in the first place, but it tells us something about their moral.
I've never played any ME title, so I wouldn't know about that (though I did notice people hated the ending). Anyways, my point was that sure, you can use false advertising to spur a hype, but that doesn't mean that a hype cannot form without it.

Soak said:
However, they made "false advertisment" and by that incited the hype, promoting things throughout the whole course of development, which then where missing in the actual game!
Considering the first trailer, I can somewhat agree. I honestly didn't even know that trailer, and apprently that was for the best. It is clear that the trailer features preciously little actual gameplay and is mostly scripted. Many of the concepts somewhat made it into the game (huge guns are certainly there, as are water puddles to amplify shock, though that is arguably much less awesome-looking). The biggest Problem is that the trailer heavily emphasizes the telekinesis aspect, which apparently was completely scrapped.

That said, this is a three year old trailer, so I really don't think it would be fair to claim that this is the thing everyone based their decision to buy the game on.

The second trailer you mentioned is obviously quite a different beast, because it was pretty much the main promotion for the game during development. And it is very faithfull to the actual game.

1:00 Comstock as a politician, so what? The Trailer did say nothing about the storyline, so that is just a random detail.
1:08 counter for vigors: Obviously a balancing consideration. What is wrong with the salt system?
4:15 Happens almost exactly the same way in the game. How you can say that the in-game scene is "not comparable" is entirely beyond me.
6:30 no - just a scripted scene. The point?
8:00 So in the trailer, we allegedly see "real choice" while in the real game, the decisions you listed are "not true choice". You make a long explanation, but none of your reasoning has anything to do with choice.
8:25 True, that mechanic isn't used. Wouldn't change much though, would it? It's not like the battles aren't tactical as is.
8:45 There are "doorway" tears, in fact there are plenty. They have just been changed to freight hooks above doors, probably because that is easier to code.
9:20 Yeah, that would have been cool. Moving train cars and movable tears are actually missing.
10:15 So you wanted additional limits in the game? I cannot see how that is a gameplay feature that was ommitted.
12:00 Oh I switched mid-riding plenty. You usually don't have to, but those thing are in the game. What is actually missing is the moving train cars.
12:45 Well, I had plenty of dudes on my airships, on hard. So apparently, the answer is yes. In fact, this scene is pretty much exactly the same in the game.

So we are sitting at one thing in the trailer that is missing. Two things if you are generous: Moving tears in general and moving skyline cars. I am not surprised these things are missing, but if you want you can call that false advertising. But you are certainly not claiming that exact feature was what made you buy the game.

Soak said:
Now we could find out what is subjective and what is of measurable quality in a narrative, but i don't really feel like it right now :).
That is probably wise, yes.

Soak said:
Instead, i would again just like to point out the comparison to the former BioShock: You didn't have to, but you could find out so much about the background stories of all those you encountered (every area, every named and even some unnamed enemies you would find) throughout playing it and even some more (sidestories told about characters you would never encounter, further establishing the whole background story of Rapture - and say what you want, but there are only half the amount of Voxophones in Infinite present and to me many of those appeared to be only half as interesting)
The "half the voxphones" criticism ignores that you actually get to meet quite a few columbia inhabitants in person, whereas in Bioshock, your only interaction with the inhabitants was through Voxphones. I feel that this sort of comparison isn't quite honest. And of course just saying they are "less interesting" comes down to personal taste. I guess they did not feel the need to display everyday Columbia life via Voxphone the way they displayed everyday Rapture life because, you know, you actually see the everyday Columbia life.

Soak said:
, plus the actions you took within the game actually had impact on the outcome (not in the best way designed, but it was very cool at the time the game was made and further increases immersion, which isn't as good in Infinite, making it a more complex, better narrated game. I can just imagine how cool it would have been to implement this into Infinite again, that your choices actually matter and that you would get different endings derived from those, blending perfectly into the premise of multiple dimensions. I am sad they didn't do that, yes, that is as subjective as it gets, but they certainly would have had the time and money and other recources to have done it and probably even better than in BioShock. They did otherwise and i respect that as an artistical statement, nonetheless i can still mention it.
Yes, you can mention it, but if you seriously argue that the Bioshock 1 ending is not utter Bullshit compared to the Infinite ending, I think you have a bad taste in storytelling, no offense. The morality System in Bioshock 1 completely undermined the entire first three Acts of the game, but I think the criticism of that ending is well documented so there is no need going over it here again.

Soak said:
Oh hell i can find lots of points to complain about the combat! The fact, that they did barely improve the points already criticized in BioShock, while they had said recources, knew about the problems, they could have changed them, but they didn't, is nothing but lazy design.
Actually, I encourage you to play one of the more recent shooters that is known for good gunplay, say Max Payne 3. Once I did that, I realized just how well implemented Bioshock combat was. Shooting from cover without pressing extra buttons, getting around the map quickly, actualy tactical choices. But yeah, the bullet-spongy enemies are a big issue, especially in the last third of the game.

Soak said:
"Hacking" is now gone, or in a way replaced with that "charm" Vigor, which makes the combat more "fluent", considering you can fire it at any machine and know it now works for you for a set amount of time, but also less complex, compared to the former hacking, where you had to carefully look for the mechanical defences and sometimes plan on how to deal with them and as i liked it even more in BioShock 2, when you wanted to hack them in combat, you often got under preassure not to lose sight of your enemies and the hack-bar, unless you wanted to get toasted one way or another, or both ways.
I haven't played Bioshock 2, but hacking in Bioshock one lost it's novelty factor really quickly. It was terribly easy and boring. But thats subjective too, I guess.

Soak said:
And here are the gears again... which replace the tonics from BioShock, which were well implemented in the game lore, were scattered throughout the game in set places, often secret (and there were lots more secrets in BioShock to reveal) and could make for nice combos, complementing the playstyle you would chose. The gear on the other hand has no connection to the lore (why would my hat set my sky-hook on fire?), is randomized on pickup and therefore may or may not complement your playstyle/ make for good combos (as i already stated in another post, i had a very wicked situation with gear, considering i had one for a long time which was completely useless to me, actually had a malus on what i originally wanted to do ("tunnel sight" or something it's called, one of the few with a malus), but i couldn't switch it out because i wouldn't find another piece for the slot for half the game, while i had one in another slot from close to the start, which would make me close to invulnurable whenever near a sky-device, which made for horribly broken combat).
With that I can probably agree, though in terms of gameplay effect, once you had a few pieces of gear, the difference to the tonics is neglibible at best.

Soak said:
And compared to the Big Daddys (and Big Sisters for that), which you could chose when to fight or when to use for yourself to beat up others, while in Infinite you just get some "heavy hitters" sent against you in scripted situations which then would act like nothing but boring bullet sponges (i remember, when you get before the Bank of Columbia the first time, i big fight breaks out and at some point a handy-man appears. So i would just use the sky-line present to avoid him whenever possible, gun down the legions of other enemies, save him for last and then still need another minute just to finish him off because of his huge health bar).
I don't get what makes the "choose the start of the fight" bit so important. It basically gave you a tactical advantage over the big daddies.

Soak said:
Not to mention how the major part of gameplay as "super powers" (be it "Psionics", "Plasmids" or now "Vigors") is cut down on every title, making for easier/more simple, but less creative ways to use (Cyclone trap basically got implemented into all other Vigors, but would miss the push-ability, which was one of the best parts about it; Decoy is now implemented in tears, which are only axcessable in set places; Scout is missing in any form; the interaction with surroundings is seldom present and as already mentioned, but in my opinion most dissapointingly, Telekinesis is gone - and no, Undertow isn't Telekinesis, but more of a Sonic Boom which is only accessable for the last /10 of the game).
And while in System/ BioShock you had to "plan" on what to use, which "power to the people" station to use for what weapon upgrade, or on which Plasmid/Tonic to use your ADAM, in Infinite you just throw an amount of (random generated) money at whatever you want to use/try out.
So the only things actually missing are scout and telekinesis, and what was added is a trap function for every vigor, plus vigor combos. Totally cut down the complexity! And it should be noted that you do not have unlimited money, so weapon and vigor upgrades are still limited (though arguably a little less so). I only had 3 weapons and 4 vigors really upgraded.

Soak said:
Well, i didn't expect Infinite to be more like SystemShock, i didn't even expect it to be "more like" BioShock. As from what i had seen and heard and read throughout the whole process of development i expected it to stand for it's own, but at least be as good as BioShock gameplay-wise. Though, i wasn't even as "hyped" as some others, i confess i was more hyped about Infinite than on any other game so far, but then i never was really hyped about any other game to begin with and i was still skeptical, which "promises" they made through trailers/ interviews and whatnot they would keep in the end.
Now, if i made a list of pros and cons about any Shock title i've played, sure there would be cons on any title, but i never said any of them would be perfect. But as i think about it, Infinite has much more cons and much less pros than any other title and this is simply out of balance (i would like to point out the different recources available to make them again) and even more out of balance considering all the good reviews it got.
So who am i to judge? Well, who is anyone to judge? Seriously, if the majority of "professional critics" isn't able to see and point at any of these flaws, but "blindly" praises Infinite and thereby do nothing but to follow the "hype", they just failed their profession! For myself, i am just a fan (and i rarely consider myself a "fan", but on this one it's true) of the former Shock-titles who sees how the franchise gets grinded down to a generic and for that even "bad" shooter with "some more story to tell" and i tell what i think about it, because it either gets "better again" in the future, or i stop playing and therefore buying the games of the series (which Levine hopes to bring out a title on a regular basis now) and as a customer, i have every right to do so!
Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but whether you can convince other people to share it is quite a different matter. I think whether or not this game is better than the first Bioshock is a question of taste. I guess if you liked the older "shock" titles, Bioshock 1 would appeal more to you, but Infinite is definetly in the same Ballpark as far as quality goes.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Stephen Sossna said:
So the only things actually missing are scout and telekinesis, and what was added is a trap function for every vigor, plus vigor combos. Totally cut down the complexity! And it should be noted that you do not have unlimited money, so weapon and vigor upgrades are still limited (though arguably a little less so). I only had 3 weapons and 4 vigors really upgraded.
Sorry, this is the only part I have input for. By the end of the game on normal I had every single vigor and vigor upgrade, and 5 weapons completely maxed, and while they added some functionality for the vigors they killed them at the same time by not having environmental applications anywhere but a few (and I mean really few) points in the game. Even when their is an environmental hazard, they are so small and in inconvenient places that there isn't really a reason to use them.