Zero Punctuation: BioShock

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Now that the sequel is out and we are necroing back this thread I think the review couldn't be more dead on.

I played through the first level on the PC and realized that I really didn't want to play the rest. The graphics were spectacular, the story was decent but the gameplay was entirely shallow.

And everyone said how great the story was. Well compared to Doom yeah it was an OK story. But it seems like modern gamers are mistaking "good story" for "has a story". See back in the olden days games didn't rely on graphics as their main asset. So games competed based on writing and gameplay.

The whole point of an inventory system with carrying limits is so that the player has to make choices and these choices impact gameplay. Same with a skill/purchasing system where you can't be good at everything. Without that decision making the gameplay isn't any different than Doom with fetch quests.

The hacking game was beyond insipid. Even Bionic Commando Re-Armed did hacking better. And scripted events are fine but you can't sustain a game with those unless it is strictly an adventure type game.

And I heard BS2 was even worse in this regard...it was a straight shooter with no pretense to rpg elements. Oh well.

Tevana

Mar 28, 2010
Well i never played System Shock 2 so cant really disagree with the review lol. Bioshock was the first shooter game i ever played and enjoyed it. Made me interested in shooting games.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
You forgot to trash the Names for Christ's sake!
Big Daddy X Little Sister --o_O... Does anybody see Anything wrong with this picture? ANYONE!!? No? Guess it's just me then :(

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
fonzythedog said:
Joe said:
So what's the difference between the two? Either way, you restart in an advantageous place without much hassle.
No, in Bioshock you respawn when you die and just carry on. In STALKER you die and.. um.. that's it. You reload the last save game and try again, maybe try a different tactic.
Yeah I can understand if people don't have the time and would rather play an awsome-but-piss-easy game rather than an awsome-but-rock-solid-hard game. Personally I like to play a game that offers me a challenge. Like playing MGS3 on European Extreme mode with just a knife or something, could I do it? Why not try?
Perhaps because MGS3 on Europian Extreme without guns is fucking evil, and because completing it like this would make you one gifted mother fucker. May I ask; did you?

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
I wonder how many people re-watched this after the BioShock 2 review? Quite a few I think...

Lord_Nemesis

Paragon Printer
Nov 28, 2010
Agreeing wth you here with your words: Not bad, just shallow. Again, sprayed coffee, you would think I would learn after this first time. Fail.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Veterinari said:
SNIP [...] It would have been a lot more scary if instead of Big daddy we had giant scary monster with a drill for an arm.
Thanks for the back-story there m8, but I'd have to disagree with your main-point.
It would have been a lot more 'scary' if instead of cuddly names that hint toward molestation they'd have gone with amoral scientific coding ...stuff like BSO-K96 (I just made that up)
It would have had a stronger psychological effect as it would have gone a long way towards dehumanizing the NPC's which coupled with the little girl's backstory there would have built on the Noir atmosphere.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
Yes the game does borrow a lot from other games but the story makes up for this adding in an original story , context and philosophy. ( Something other game usually fails to do ). Not only this but the deep gaming mixed with story adds elements to which game developers should learn from making the story as IMPORTANT as the gameplay. Thus adding deep thought with interactive entertainment ( The overall goal of most games ). In conclusion I'm not saying it's the best game of all time but on of the greatest examples of how to burrow content from other titles and still have a huge level of originality in story and game play.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
like it when he is talking about the gun turrets it has the steam logo when he says its steam (water) powered