Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
It's so amusing to see all the fanboys bring out all the shields and go "NOOOO.YAHTEE U R WRONG!!!U DIDN'T PLAY THE GAEM RITE!!!!ONLI SURTAIN KIND OF PPL CAN APPRECIATE DIS MASTERPIECE!!"

Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me. B1 was crap, go here, shoot a few skags, come back.Also, don't forget your other assignment - go there, shoot some skags and come back!!!!You don't have to be (and i quote the person above me)"a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours."Sorry, a game that takes 10 hours to suck you in doesn't say well about itself.A game should be gripping from the start, but then again Gearbox knew that the fanboys will use the whole "Hey...play for 7 more hours!You'll find it fun!!!PROMISE" to their death.

This is why games like B2 exist, because they rack up so many brainwashed fanboys that the people who made the game are only catering to the horde, and not to other sensible people.I feel that i have wasted money on B2, and sadly B2 will just rot away in my backlog.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
SoMuchSpace said:
Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me.
Probably because it is a breed apart from the 'generic' war-simulation games that crowd the FPS market.

Agree with the FO3/NV comparison in terms of not enough changing. Nicer AI, some better characters, environments & quests, sure. But the core mechanics are the same, and still unrewarding (I don't feel more powerful at higher levels).

Zefar

May 11, 2009
punipunipyo said:
NO, It's Borderlands 2, but you'll have to play the PC version to know the difference...

This game driving sux, yes, but that's all I can agreed up on....

I bet he didn't play through the game, and he obviously sux at it, because you will ONLY enjoy it if you discover the intricacy of the battle mechanics and how the skills WILL MORE THAN DOUBLE YOUR KILL RATE IF YOU COMPLEMENT WITH YOUR PARTNERS... wait... he solo play it... crap...

The game is made with passion, how many games ACTUALLY MAKE NEW FEATURES FOR NEWGAME+? this game does! some bosses.guns/enemies/mechanics DOES NOT SHOW UP ON FIRST PLAY THROUGH! Basically, the first game through is the game's(the game play part) Tutorial! so.. yeah, assumed he DIDN'T finished the first pass through... HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISHED THE TUTORIAL!~ good luck reviewing the game play at that point, story is not that bad to me either, but the game kinda "Tell" you the story rather than "showing" you... game play is AMAZING~ and you REALLY NEED TO THINK YOUR PLAYSTYLE to match your skills, this IS LABLED AS AN ACTION RPG, think Diablo, but using DOOM engine....
If it was Borderland 2 as in actually 2 it would be a much bigger improvement. After watching TotalBiscuit play it and listened to his points I'll go with his opinion over any fan at the moment. As Fans tend to hype the game up like mad.

But from what I saw was about 90% the same.

1 active skill for each character. Boring mind you, and the reason Diablo 2 lasted so long was because it plenty of skills for you to use.
I'd at least had hoped for 2 main skills that you could either have at once or switch out. I'd prefer 3 of them minimum and it isn't hard to come up with skills. What is more insulting is that the skills are slight variation of the ones in the first games with the exception of some that are pure copies.

So much about love there like you claimed it had gotten.

The entire last part is just hilarious. In Borderland 1 you just picked certain skills and never really moved from it unless you picked a different type of weapon. I doubt Borderlands 2 are that much different on it.

It generally boiled down to a good weapon and shield in the end on the first game. Though some monsters in NewGame+ where almost immortal even with a damn good weapon.

The game also suffer from making the game more boring with more players. I don't want to fire twice as much as before if one more guy joins in. They could add more monsters but don't boost their health. One reason why playing alone could be more fun because your weapon feels powerful and the areas gets cleared quicker. With more players things just doesn't get more fun. It get more tedious. Diablo 3 had the same problem. I tried to play Coop with my brother and a friend but when we where 3 people the monsters just go so bloody powerful all of sudden. Even with 3 people it wasn't fun. Playing alone was more fun as I felt more powerful.

Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1.5.

They actually added a story that somewhat works.
Improved the shooting part a bit.
Made weapons stand out a bit more.

That's about it. It's a small improvement.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
BL2 is one of those games that if you didn't like the previous game then it's not going to change your mind. But if you did enjoy the last game then you will probably love this one because it is a noticeable improvement in many areas, it just doesn't do anything to really shake things up or change the basic formula. Whether or not that is a bad thing is a matter of personal taste.

Also when it comes to games like this I think that by playing it alone he is doing it wrong. Well not really wrong but games like these are meant to be played with other people so in playing alone he isn't going to get the most out of it. When you have more people playing with you the enemies get tougher, the loot drops are better, and its much more fun because you have backup and a friend to talk to.

I can't argue with most of his complaints but at the same time I feel that this is just one of those games that you will either love or hate.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I never played the first one, but I disagree with Yahtzee in that I found Borderlands 2 more frustrating than boring. Perhaps that's just because I suck at FPS games, or maybe a PS3 controller isn't the best control method for an FPS.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
Wakikifudge said:
hazabaza1 said:
Wakikifudge said:
hazabaza1 said:
Nieroshai said:
tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
Except that little to none of what he said was true. Which is sad. All he bothered getting right was the quest tracker.
Because, you know, opinions can be wrong!

Jesus. These kinds of responses make me hate when people review popular games negatively, not because I like the games (and I do like Borderlands 2, a fair bit), but because people jump in and try to justify someone not liking their precious new game.
While normally I would agree with you, he's actually speaking mostly the truth. Yahtzee found it boring, that's an opinion. But he really did say some blatantly wrong things. Here's an example:

He doesn't like having to hold x to pick up money and ammo. This was the case in the first game and it was a common complaint. Borderlands 2 addresses this complaint having you pick these items up by simply walking over/near them. I don't know how he could have missed this if he has actually played even remotely far into the game.
Loot in containers has to be picked up. Only loot dropped from enemies has the auto-pick up thing.

I don't know how you could miss this is you have actually played even remotely far into the game. [sub][sub]:p[/sub][/sub]
He made it sound like you had to press X for ALL drops but I'll give you this one.

How about this: he complains about the enemy variety in the first game and rightly so. You fought about 5 different enemy types for most of the game. He then says that this is the same case for the second game. Borderlands 2 has a massive variety of enemies. There around triple the enemy types and the old ones have been significantly fleshed out. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact.

He says that the skills of the Vault Hunters are different superficially from the previous ones but not in any practical way. You don't even need to play the game to see that this is obviously false. Just watch a couple gameplay videos and you will see that all of the Vault Hunter action skills are completely different with the only exception being Axton. But even his turret is waaaaay more useful than Roland's.

He complains about how you were so easily able to defeat Wilhelm even though he crushed the precious Vault Hunters. This is actually explained later in the game and someone else already pointed it out so I'm not going to go into detail.

He also says that most of the missions involve retrieving some piece of equipment that was stolen. Don't know how he came to this conclusion because I can't even think of any missions like this off the top of my head. There are probably a couple but he's blowing it way out of proportion.

I will say that one other thing he got right is that the vehicles handle badly. It's annoying but since driving isn't really a huge part of the game, it doesn't bother me too much.
This is probably why I didn't care much for this ZP, because there are a lot of things he said that were blatantly false about the game and while I already expected him to hate it as much as BL1, I had assumed he would of played it enough to at least pick up on the differences.

Of course, there's no reason to point this out because I'm sure it will be met with the usual responses of how I shouldn't take ZP seriously or that Yahtzee is justified in being wrong about the facts because it's his opinion.

Oh well, looking forward to next week's ZP now!

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
Really the thing to look at here is that Borderlands (1 AND 2) is also an MMO by technicality, and we all know full well how Yahtzee hates those. Which is by all means fair, we all have a genre we don't like to some extent, and even those of us who play MMO's can look back on certain things and see the frivolity of it. But we still enjoy it, so more power to us I suppose.

In any case, seeing as he's played the best that MMO's have to offer (IE: WoW, Monster Hunter, DCUO) I think it's fair to say he might as well stop reviewing them, since it's clear he hates everything about the fundamentals of an MMO game. I mean let's face it Yahtzee... 'Go to _____, Collect 10 _____, and kill 15 _____' is pretty much cemented into the MMO formula.

On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of people having issues with the driving controls. Really, the first game's controls were very simple to me. Then again, my best gaming skills lie within driving games, but even so I'm sure I've seen much worse in much more popular games. (GTA IV anyone?)

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Frankly I'm not really amazed he didn't finish the story. He sounded bored begining to end and even stated it himself (y'know, "this game bores me to fucking tears!"). I understand that his integrity is a bit compromised for not really going through the game, but then again, he didn't like the first one, hates games that rely on loot (dungeon crawlers have gotten it really bad from Yahtzee). He basically gave it the Gears of War 3 treatment of just pointing out how tedious the game is for him.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Trilliandi said:
-snip-
On a side note, I'm amazed at the number of people having issues with the driving controls. Really, the first game's controls were very simple to me.
Everybody who hasn't got any problems with driving is playing the console release which pretty much uses the same controls as most driving games do. On the PC, however, using W and S for going back and forward and using the mouse for looking and steering is very uncomfortable and non-standard. They tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Ammo:
I only seem to find a lot of Shotgun ammo I don't use because I like to keep enemies at a safe distance away from me. This can get to be a problem in the beginning of the game when the only decent weapons are the gearbox sniper rifle and a Revolver. Also, if you don't like carrying a lot of weapons with you like me and instead have only two that use the same kind of ammo, then this probably is a big problem.

Weapons:
1.You CAN find decent guns at shops (I got a 168dmg sniper rifle from Marcus when everything I was looting where 70-100dmg ones).
2.Finding a decent Assault Rifle is doable, but admittedly too hard.
3.Good SMGs aren't too easy to find at first, but then again maybe I just didn't get lucky.

I'm soloing a Siren at level 14. I'm mainly using a 170 damage,4 Rounds per shot Torgue AR(aquired at level 14),an Elemental SMG (level 10) , a Vladof Sniper (level 12),some sort of shotgun I found and a 1456 damage Rocket Launcher I got at level 12.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
I gotta say, I'm a bit on the fence with Yahtzee's video,

Ill agree that it could have done things better (multiple mission selection, car handling).

But, at the same time I feel that he has missed some key points in comparison to BL1, for instance; The environments are so much more diverse and it doesn't feel like your running through the middle east the entire game. The enemies are loads different (apart from the obvious bandits and skags). Critical hits aren't always at the head, which became rather monotonous after a while in BL1. Weapons are so much different than the first one. It actually matters what brand you use.

Granted, this game certainly isn't for everyone.
But that said, I have found it really enjoyable both in Single and Multi Player.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Why do people take it personally when Yahtzee says he doesn't like a game? He doesn't like it, you do. What's the problem. You yourself have done nothing wrong.

bandman232

Jun 27, 2010
NoAccountNeeded said:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
God... people are actually using zero punctuation to decide whether or not to buy a game?
Welp, looks like they're not buying anything ever again...

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
And he didn't even rag on about it having a minecraft reference like he did about Castlevania Lords of Shadow having a Portal reference.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, I'm bored. Time for some ala-carte commentary.

Chaos Marine said:
It's the same steering mechanic used in Halo and a lot of people didn't complain about that. I'm assuming that you played it on the PC? The majority of console users I've seen playing love that kind of mechanic where people with a mouse and keyboard hate it. As do I, but it's tolerable.
I'm playing on the PC (only), don't own a 360 or PS3, and I have no problems with the driving controls. They were greatly improved from BL1, where driving felt way too..."floaty". Not just in vehicle gravity, but in how they "glided" over terrain. It felt sort of like turning an air-hockey table on and off.

Burnouts and hand-braking lets me do crazy things with the default Light Runner, and power-slide T-stops with the Bandit Utility Truck.

MrGalactus said:
Why do people take it personally when Yahtzee says he doesn't like a game? He doesn't like it, you do. What's the problem. You yourself have done nothing wrong.
It isn't a matter of Yahtzee liking a game or not.
It's when he justifies his position with exaggerations, misinformation, and sometimes flat-out lies that some of us have problems with.

Re-read the complaints.
Some of his points aren't open to subjective interpretation, and are in fact, mistakes (like his comment on the Wilhelm fight).

SoMuchSpace said:
It's so amusing to see all the fanboys bring out all the shields and go "NOOOO.YAHTEE U R WRONG!!!U DIDN'T PLAY THE GAEM RITE!!!!ONLI SURTAIN KIND OF PPL CAN APPRECIATE DIS MASTERPIECE!!"

Frankly, how borderlands became so popular in the first place is a surprise to me. B1 was crap, go here, shoot a few skags, come back.Also, don't forget your other assignment - go there, shoot some skags and come back!!!!You don't have to be (and i quote the person above me)"a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours."Sorry, a game that takes 10 hours to suck you in doesn't say well about itself.A game should be gripping from the start, but then again Gearbox knew that the fanboys will use the whole "Hey...play for 7 more hours!You'll find it fun!!!PROMISE" to their death.

This is why games like B2 exist, because they rack up so many brainwashed fanboys that the people who made the game are only catering to the horde, and not to other sensible people.I feel that i have wasted money on B2, and sadly B2 will just rot away in my backlog.
Your entire post is an "Ad-Hominem" fallacy, possibly a "Poisoning the Well".
Going by your own logic, I can call you a brainwashed Yahtzee fanboy sheep.

Duffeknol said:
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. It's very easy to distinguish between little nitpicks Yahtzee points out for entertainment value and valid criticism he comes up with. *snip* Dismissing that as 'just being entertainment' is completely missing the point.
This is a common defense I see for Yahtzee's videos, and it's pretty weak.

"Oh, it's humorous and informative, ergo, still credible"
Humorous, definitely. His wit and wordplay are very very good.

Informative? Always questionable, especially when Yahtzee gets facts wrong or ignores them for the sake of a joke. And for this reason alone you should not use his reviews for any shopping guidance.

Then there's the problem of Bias.

Take one of his videos, separate his "serious" critical points from his humor, and weigh the results against each other just point by point. Subtracting hyperbole and jokes, you will find that they are overwhelmingly negatively bias.
Hell, you can make adjustments to weight nitpicks even less than other complaints and it will STILL come out as being highly negative.

Worse, it's a problem he manufactures. He commented early in his videos that "nobody likes it when he's being positive" (paraphrased), and that's unfortunately a product of the internet hate machine.
Hell, there's an entire internet business built on this premise.

Finally, his excuse of "Assume everything I don't mention is perfectly fine" doesn't fly if we're to take him seriously.
I suspect it's just an excuse way to keep the video short and manageable for a weekly show, which again, plays entirely to the strengths of the HUMOR, but is an anathema for critical review because we can never see how he draws comparisons.

The mark of a reliable review is how the good compares with the bad.
If you only ever talk about the shit, and emphasize the shit, then everything looks like shit regardless of it's positive qualities. Granted, some games *are* nothing but shit (Too Human), but not *everything* can be shit.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I didn't like Borderlands 1 for the same reasons Yahtzee mentioned back in his earlier review, and I did play it with friends, and it was still shit. It sucks when I'm trying to explore the world and they go off doing quests and missions so when I arrive to do stuff, it's all killed or looted. If anything, playing with other people made the experience worse for me.

Seeing as how we were on the same page for Borderlands 1, I'm going to continue holding off on buying Borderlands 2 because I expected I would dislike it as much. More so with all the references I keep hearing are in it. I'm not against Easter Eggs, but this game seems to make pop-culture references all over the place. It comes off as more annoying than impressive.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I played Borderlands 1 and liked it somewhat. Got kind of boring after I beat it and rolled 2 or 3 more characters. I haven't played Borderlands 2 yet.

But I might have to reconsider that after I saw this. This is from the upcoming DLC, the Mechromancer skill tree:

I promise you this isn't Photoshoped.

Every single one of those skills is a reference to FiM. So yeah, I might need to pick that up =).

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Zefar said:
Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1.5.

They actually added a story that somewhat works.
Improved the shooting part a bit.
Made weapons stand out a bit more.

That's about it. It's a small improvement.
What about the unique builds you can use with characters?
How each active skill is modified by the skill tree?
What about the better quest writing and now each side quest has its own resolution that adds to the universe of borderlands?
How about the increase emphasis on backstory and lore in addition to character backgrounds new and old?
More enemy types and enviorments.
An improved skill tree with the challenge system that allows players to select upgrades in what they want.

Is it really just a 1.5 game when almost everything was overhauld?