Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Duffeknol said:
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. It's very easy to distinguish between little nitpicks Yahtzee points out for entertainment value and valid criticism he comes up with. Don't forget, the man has a deep love and understanding of the business, being a writer himself. He genuinely hates games like Borderlands, games that are just excuses to keep looting and finding one more gun with a +0.2 stamped on it. Dismissing that as 'just being entertainment' is completely missing the point.
Most of what you've said in this thread I don't really mind. However, the bolded quote really exposes that you played the first game for a very minimal amount of time (proportional to the games full length) and made quick judgement. The guns in both games drastically change in ways that aren't just "+0.2." Guns, even in the first game, could do some pretty interesting things in this series like having shotguns fire rockets, elemental weapons, eridian weapons, multiple different manufacturers that change the look, feel, and focus of each gun type (and this is a super cursory overview); The second game took all of these features and expanded them making even more variety and effects to each gun. Labeling the loot system to "constantly looking for a gun that is +0.2" is an oversimplification that just makes your arguments look disingenuous.

I know, opinions.

Elamdri said:
Or perhaps you're missing what I'm saying. Yes, I understand that the Whilhelm fight was a trap. But as you play through the game, it's pretty clear that they are artificially turning the original 4 heroes into schmucks.

Roland would never have gotten taken out like that
Brick would never send you off like an errand boy
Mordecai would have bust down the doors to get Bloodwing back himself

You see what I'm saying? Those 4 beat the destroyer, they beat Crawmerax, they Beat Knoxx. They're badasses in their own right. They should have WIPED THE FLOOR with Jack when he came to Pandora, but they didn't.

And that's what I'm saying. Them transforming from big badass heroes into pansies feels incredibly contrived.
You know, I loved Borderlands 1, but I recognize it had many flaws. One of the biggest flaws is that it didn't really introduce or give personality to any of the player characters. Tell me what you knew about Mordecai in BL1. That's right, you knew pretty much nothing. In BL2 within the first few minutes of meeting him you learn that he is a massive alcoholic, then you learn that he is depressed at not getting to run away with Moxxi, you learn that he is moderately incompetent at times and seems to spy rather than get in fights himself. The reason you think he would have done something is because you assumed you knew what he was like as a person. You didn't, because the first game never provided a deep background or an explanation of major character flaws. Also, they may have been able to do amazing things together, but they aren't traveling together anymore, each with their own reasons. They're operating solo and are therefore weaker.

Oh, and you never directly do anything that makes you seem more powerful than them that isn't instantly explained to be a ploy.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
jboking said:
Elamdri said:
Or perhaps you're missing what I'm saying. Yes, I understand that the Whilhelm fight was a trap. But as you play through the game, it's pretty clear that they are artificially turning the original 4 heroes into schmucks.

Roland would never have gotten taken out like that
Brick would never send you off like an errand boy
Mordecai would have bust down the doors to get Bloodwing back himself

You see what I'm saying? Those 4 beat the destroyer, they beat Crawmerax, they Beat Knoxx. They're badasses in their own right. They should have WIPED THE FLOOR with Jack when he came to Pandora, but they didn't.

And that's what I'm saying. Them transforming from big badass heroes into pansies feels incredibly contrived.
You know, I loved Borderlands 1, but I recognize it had many flaws. One of the biggest flaws is that it didn't really introduce or give personality to any of the player characters. Tell me what you knew about Mordecai in BL1. That's right, you knew pretty much nothing. In BL2 within the first few minutes of meeting him you learn that he is a massive alcoholic, then you learn that he is depressed at not getting to run away with Moxxi, you learn that he is moderately incompetent at times and seems to spy rather than get in fights himself. The reason you think he would have done something is because you assumed you knew what he was like as a person. You didn't, because the first game never provided a deep background or an explanation of major character flaws. Also, they may have been able to do amazing things together, but they aren't traveling together anymore, each with their own reasons. They're operating solo and are therefore weaker.

Oh, and you never directly do anything that makes you seem more powerful than them that isn't instantly explained to be a ploy.
Don't get me wrong, the characterization is nice, but one of the problems with not having defined characters is that you tend to project yourself onto the character. In that case, if someone comes along later and doesn't characterization, it feels like a retcon even if it isn't because the character had no personality in the 1st place.

And even then, we can extrapolate stuff from the original borderlands. All the characters have pretty magnanimous personalities and think highly of themselves. And they did accomplish some pretty impressive feats during the game. And they didn't split up until AFTER Jack showed up. I'm simply saying that going into Borderlands 2 from Borderlands 1, I can't figure out why the original 4 heroes simply didn't wipe the floor with Jack and send him packing, but for the fact that the plot demands it.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Dansen said:
Duffeknol said:
Thank God. Yahtzee still seems to be the only sane person left on earth when it comes to these absolutely putrid games.

I know looking to find your opinion validated on the internet is pretty lame, but it can sure as hell feel satisfying sometimes, especially when half the internet tried to kick you to death if you so much as mumble that you don't like Borderlands because it's repetitive and boring, and that comparing numbers to more numbers shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun.
You mad bro?

Beter yet, have you even played it?
I actually enjoy the setting and its satirical take on a variety of game and story genres.
Of course I've played it. With 'it' I mean Borderlands 1. Gave it a full day. Played it for like 10 hours straight. Didn't get interesting, uninstalled. It can be satirical all it wants, but the gameplay makes me want to shoot myself.
I was just saying that the satire is one of the many things that attract me to the game, its not just "comparing numbers to more numbers".
The game is a vast improvement over 1 and it addresses a majority of the problems of the first one. It is the best sequel to come out in recent years. You have not played the game, its okay if you aren't interested, but please stop trying to act smart by saying its the same thing as the first one. Borderlands 2 is in a whole other league from its predecessor. There is no way anyone can objectively deny that.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
As much I like Yahtzee I have to disagreee on this review Borderlands 1 was not great by any means but it still held it's own and still(well not now since the sequel is out) a good ass game

As mention plenty of times before Borderlands 2 takes what was right and wrong about the first 2 and build up and improved it greatly. The story is not generic, the characters are more fleshed out, the guns may look the same but they can have very small differences like I got a sniper rifle that did great damage but the fire rate between shots was god-awful. They actually have antagonist that you will learn to hate very much and not some eleventh hour monster that "has" the power to destroy the world. but the sequel has cons as well

-The downgrade of the previous vault hunters These guys were badasses in the first one, If I remember these guys:
-Took on a hostile planet full of murders and murderous wildlife along with a company's private military beaten it and a giant tentacle monster that may of violated the planet in the wrong way (Sexual Innuendo intended there)
-Survived a zombie apocalypse and killed the guy who started it, twice
-Managed to go a few rounds in Moxxi's Underdome and live to tell about it.
-Took on the same company's private military again, beaten the same military again, and killed off one of their head officers, raided his armory, and blew it sky high Twice.
-Took a gigantic mutant killer lobster and killed it.
-Took on a rebellious robot that was sent to killed them in the first place and his robo brethren, from taking over humanity and possibly converting it to an all robot civilization.
so to see these guys sorta loose some of there badassness is like the story telling all the gamers that played the first one to "Forget all that happened and focus on now".
Driving-it still sucks and trying to power slide is not that great.
Unable to track multiple quest down at once-If I'm in one spot with a bunch of quest why can't you tell me where they all are?

I give points on trying to make it funny but this time I disagree with you Yahtzee.

and to the people that trying to use Yahtzee to say how much BL2 blows, you guys really don't have any personal opinion do you?

BlueWalrus

Oct 3, 2012
Duffeknol said:
Abandon4093 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Abandon4093 said:
tmande2nd said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
tmande2nd said:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.
Stop taking ZP seriously. He's a comedian, not a critic.
Let me guess my comment riled you up because you like Borderlands 2?
I agree with Yahtzee about most games he reviews so yes I do take what he says under lots of consideration.
Zero punctuation isn't a review, it's a piece of entertainment. If you're using these as some sort of yardstick by which to judge the games and not just laughing at the ball and tit jokes. You're doing it wrong.

Watch an actual review, you know. One that goes into detail about how the games actually play.
Uhh... No. I'd rather have someone tell me right out whether or not a game is shit without watching him play it for 15 minutes before he sums it all up in a manner that is just as "subjective" as a ZP review.
Translation, you want to be told what games you like.

Suppose that's alright if you're really indecisive or something.

Personally I'd rather someone break down how the game plays with some footage so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I'm likely to enjoy it.

Yahtzee doesn't write reviews, he writes humorous critiques. They're meant to entertain, not inform.
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. It's very easy to distinguish between little nitpicks Yahtzee points out for entertainment value and valid criticism he comes up with. Don't forget, the man has a deep love and understanding of the business, being a writer himself. He genuinely hates games like Borderlands, games that are just excuses to keep looting and finding one more gun with a +0.2 stamped on it. Dismissing that as 'just being entertainment' is completely missing the point.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Yahtzee isn't a game reviewer. He isn't even a critic. He's an entertainer above all. And clearly, a lot of people weren't entertained by this "review." I've been a fan of ZP for a while, had a good laugh at most of his reviews, including his review of the first one. That was totally accurate. It's very clear Yahtzee didn't know what he was talking about with a lot of points he made, and since I don't think Yahtzee would blatantly lie to his audience on purpose, it became obvious he went in not intending to like the game, and put it down before finishing it. He's definitely losing his touch as a reviewer, or an entertainer, or whatever he is

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
I've watched several people from TGWTG on a stream play BL2 and everything said by Yahtzee was right.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Tippy said:
SanAndreasSmoke said:
So I'm NOT the only one that thinks he's slowed down his pace.

And I think what's missing from his newer reviews is the sense of enjoyment he seemed to get from critiquing a game - whether he hated the game or not, Yahtzee just seemed more enthusiastic in the older videos.

He still has some pretty good jokes, but the tone seems much less light-hearted.

Dunno, maybe it's just me.
It's not just you, you could feel the genuine passion in his voice (whether it be raw anger or gleeful joy) and kinda get pulled along with it. I could literally FEEL his frustration as he played through some terrible games and FEEL his joy as he played the good ones.

I don't think it's him though, it's more likely what the game industry does to a reviewer. Even the most tank-armored reviewers/critics aren't immune to getting slowly worn down by game after game.

Frankly I used to simply sit there sometimes in AWE at how Yahtzee could spend week after week dragging himself through some of the titles he's reviewed so far. Sure he was getting paid for it, but it still takes a certain kind of person to drag themselves for 10-30+ hours through games, everything cliche endlessly repeated, every plot endlessly predictable, etc etc and still look forward to next week. He may have been throwing jokes of being super-cynical, but looking at what he does it would be hard NOT to become one. Staying positive after so many years would be like a veteran heart surgeon to was still scared of seeing blood splattering everywhere.

It's literally a thousand times harder than say...a movie critic, who just has to sit there for 2 hours eating popcorn once a week (or fortnight).
I totally agree with that. I can imagine how Yahtzee's job can wear him down at times, but I definitely appreciate him doing it.

His reviews still give me another thing to look forward to on Wednesdays.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LittleJoeRambler said:
My Steam in-game time clocked at 42 hours for my first run-through of the game, start to finish, with plenty of dying (due to my own personal retardation), random exploring and probably 75% of the side-quests completed. If you cut out the non-essentials (like most of the side quests and exploration), you could probably cut that down to 30 hours (if not further). 10 hours to write a review and make a 5 minute video brings it to a normal 40-hour work week.
And then people would ***** that he didn't bother with the sidequests or exploration, which are big parts of the game, regardless.

However, your concept of "probably" still involves an asspull.

Regardless, game reviewers are asked to take on games and put out the same content as other reviewers. Music CDs top out at 80 minutes and average about 45 these days. Most books can be knocked off in a weekend at worst. Movies are around 90 minutes, with a high of 3-ish hours.

Games? A 4-6 hours is standard for shooter campaigns, much higher for RPGs and the likes.

I'd also add that writing and playing are not discrete elements and can greatly expand the time.

And finally on that note, other reviewers are expected to go through the material multiple times; it's rare to see a movie reviewed by a professional based on one screening. that's pretty much a vlog. The time involvement in games reviewing is already high.

I understand that Yahtzee is a busy guy (Mana Bar and Extra Punctuation obligations as well as everything else he does), and spending 40 hours on a single game in a week is probably unreasonable. But I don't think you should make comments on a story you haven't finished. It's like reading the first two chapters of a 20-chapter book and making your judgment there. I can also understand saying something like "the gameplay was so bad I just couldn't force myself to finish the story quest," but it doesn't really make critiques on the story any more valid. Besides, if that's the case, there should be plenty of material to come up with for a critique without having to reference the story at all.
The "other stuff" is a big element, too. Which is kind of a major problem.

But beyond that, it's surprisingly unlikely that the story will ever evolve in quality from the first few hours. My only real complaint here is the time from beating that boss he cakewalked over to finding out IT'S A TRAP!!! is like two minutes, so there's no excuse for complaining. But while I like the game, the story isn't exactly the stuff of legends, or even casual thought.

I agree with several of his points. After a while, it all started to feel really tedious, many of the guns are only slight upgrades, and hunting through a thousand boxes for ammo and money gets really boring. But while health does the standard regeneration thing as well as there being health drops, Borderlands 2's enemies don't typically drop enough ammo to keep you going. Searching for ammo in this game feels like searching for medkits in other games, it adds a level of urgency to all your actions. The inventory system is still pretty bad, though not as bad as the first one, and going through your stuff to sell it or mark it as trash still feels sticky.
Ammo is pretty plentiful, especially given most areas won't consume resources fast enough between Ammo Dumps. I'm also pretty sure health doesn't regenerate without certain mods or abilities; if I take the mod off my Siren, for example, she (and my teammates) stop gaining health. Your shields do regenerate, but that may not help you out much. Health drops are a non-issue and while I agree box-hunting is a chore, it's kind of a minor niggle. Especially compared to things like the driving and inventory.

The major difference I can see between Borderlands 2 and most other shooters is what you're rewarded with. With other shooters, clearing an area means moving to the next one, i.e. your reward is advancement towards the resolution. But with Borderlands 1 and 2, you're rewarded with loot to pick up, and advancement towards the resolution. You glut on the little rewards until you don't really even want the big one anymore. That's why I think I started getting bored with looting; towards the end of the game I started ignoring everything that wasn't purple or better. Borderlands 2 throws thousands of green and hundreds of blue items at you, to the point that you start seeing them like you would white items, and digging through that mountain of refuse takes FOREVER. One of the game's selling points ultimately became one of the things I didn't really like about it.
Even towards the end game, you can get common items that are better than the rare stuff. I can see why you might not want to do it, but this IS a shoot and loot game.

Personally, I rarely take pleasure in this sort of thing, but an action/shooter RPG with looting elements? It tickles me just right. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but this is what others want. the same sort of people who left-click endlessly to see a marginal improvement in a stat.

The only problem I have with the looting concept in this game, really is the issue of the RNG being a cruel deity. I went for like ten levels without a decent shield and it hampered me (and the team) greatly. In my other game so far, I've had horrible luck with SMGs. Now, thankfully you can share weapons with different characters you use, but that doesn't automatically solve the problem.

However, you're treating loot as optional. I'm not sure why something which has become optional is a liability.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DJShire said:
I've watched several people from TGWTG on a stream play BL2 and everything said by Yahtzee was right.
Especially valid, since a lot of the complaints are about how the game PLAYS, and the guys who play games on TGWTG tend to be half-incompetent.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
1. Borderlands came out in 2009, not 2010.
2. "That" boss was easy for a reason (as every man and his dog has already noted)
3. Most games have stop and start gameplay, it's not unique to Borderlands.
4. On consoles, the vehicles handle fine. Don't know what his problem is.
5. The UI is great. Same as above.

I know that the big Y exaggerates the negatives and down plays the positives, but this was a pretty poor review.

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
And then people would ***** that he didn't bother with the sidequests or exploration, which are big parts of the game, regardless.

However, your concept of "probably" still involves an asspull.

Regardless, game reviewers are asked to take on games and put out the same content as other reviewers. Music CDs top out at 80 minutes and average about 45 these days. Most books can be knocked off in a weekend at worst. Movies are around 90 minutes, with a high of 3-ish hours.

Games? A 4-6 hours is standard for shooter campaigns, much higher for RPGs and the likes.

I'd also add that writing and playing are not discrete elements and can greatly expand the time.

And finally on that note, other reviewers are expected to go through the material multiple times; it's rare to see a movie reviewed by a professional based on one screening. that's pretty much a vlog. The time involvement in games reviewing is already high.

The "other stuff" is a big element, too. Which is kind of a major problem.

But beyond that, it's surprisingly unlikely that the story will ever evolve in quality from the first few hours. My only real complaint here is the time from beating that boss he cakewalked over to finding out IT'S A TRAP!!! is like two minutes, so there's no excuse for complaining. But while I like the game, the story isn't exactly the stuff of legends, or even casual thought.
I completed all the side quests up until I reached the "Toil and Trouble" story mission; what percent would you call that? 75% seemed like a reasonable number but honestly I can't say that I know with any level of certainty.

And yeah, side quests and exploration are huge parts of the game, that's one of the things that makes it good. I can't account for anyone else's playing speed, true, but based on my own playing experience, it'd take well over 40 hours of just playtime to complete everything, outside of writing and doing the review. So while I think finishing the story campaign isn't necessarily an unreasonable expectation (simply because of how much time I spent not doing the story missions), getting through everything else would be, because that's where most of the game is. As is, it feels like Yahtzee played the game for like 5 hours, hammered out a review and called it quits, and it's disappointing.

I'll reiterate; He shouldn't have made comments on the story if he didn't finish it. Like you said, it's not really even worth casual thought, and there was probably better and funnier material later in the game to rag on, and I feel an opportunity was missed. Like how you can die a thousand times and get respawned over and over and over, but Jack obviously wants you dead, and you're being respawned by HIS COMPANY. I don't know.

Ammo is pretty plentiful, especially given most areas won't consume resources fast enough between Ammo Dumps. I'm also pretty sure health doesn't regenerate without certain mods or abilities; if I take the mod off my Siren, for example, she (and my teammates) stop gaining health. Your shields do regenerate, but that may not help you out much. Health drops are a non-issue and while I agree box-hunting is a chore, it's kind of a minor niggle. Especially compared to things like the driving and inventory.

Even towards the end game, you can get common items that are better than the rare stuff. I can see why you might not want to do it, but this IS a shoot and loot game.

Personally, I rarely take pleasure in this sort of thing, but an action/shooter RPG with looting elements? It tickles me just right. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but this is what others want. the same sort of people who left-click endlessly to see a marginal improvement in a stat.

The only problem I have with the looting concept in this game, really is the issue of the RNG being a cruel deity. I went for like ten levels without a decent shield and it hampered me (and the team) greatly. In my other game so far, I've had horrible luck with SMGs. Now, thankfully you can share weapons with different characters you use, but that doesn't automatically solve the problem.

However, you're treating loot as optional. I'm not sure why something which has become optional is a liability.
I played solo, and found myself scrounging for ammo late in the game (much less so early on) and relying on my turret(s) to do a pretty significant portion of the killing. My Eridium all came from random drops and looting chests, so I didn't have my SDUs maxed out either. Maybe that contributed to my problems with ammo, but it did add something to the game for me: a sense of urgency for finding ammo mid-fight, and I'd count it as a point in the game's favor. As for health, all of the characters have some sort of health replenishing ability that reduces or eliminates the need to hunt down health packs, so finding health pickups in the late game was less problematic than finding ammo. I'd imagine that Salvador wouldn't have that problem, but I did, and I liked it.

As for loot, it got to a point where I'd upgraded my shotgun, sniper rifle and assault rifle SDUs as much as I could and had first level SDUs for all the rest of the ammo types. Combine that with my ammo problems for those guns, and I wasn't even looking at pistols, rocket launchers or SMGs because even one that left all my current weapons in the dust didn't look that great when I'd likely run out of ammo for it in the course of a single skirmish. I was still looting boxes for ammo and money, but other than boss loot and the occasional interesting-looking drop, I ended up ignoring most of the guns, shields and grenade mods.

I liked the game, I liked the first one too, but I'm gonna wait a while after release to get Borderlands 3 (if they make one). I enjoyed my time with it, but I think I'm satisfied with what it has to offer that I'm not clamoring for more.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Driving really is ass. There's no excuse for this.

I think the game is awesome, though, therefore this review is bad and unfunny and Yahtzee should be ashamed of himself for eating puppies.

...am I doing this right?
It's the same steering mechanic used in Halo and a lot of people didn't complain about that. I'm assuming that you played it on the PC? The majority of console users I've seen playing love that kind of mechanic where people with a mouse and keyboard hate it. As do I, but it's tolerable.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Hrmm. I thought the vehicles handled fine, and found the UI to be decent.

But there is very little that is explicitly different from Borderlands 1, which I also found boring. So I found this boring. All wallpaper, indeed. Many things in life are, and many people buy into them.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I think the dialogue is more interesting this time around. I mean overall it feels like a giant DLC (like comparing fallout 3 to NV) but with a bit more difficulty and new levels. I'm still having fun with it.

I'm not sure how much replay value it has though tbh.

D_West

Jun 27, 2011
I didn't agree with this review. I think Yahtzee is burned out on loot, after playing WoW and Guild Wars 2. Borderlands 2 is a slow burn game that doesn't really suck you in until maybe 10 or so hours.

The key thing in this game are the weapons. They always feel fresh, new and interesting. Not to mention the skill tree, class mods, and grenades give you a lot of freedom to create crazy classes with a unique feel. Also, the game's AI has improved dramatically, and there is a much greater variety of them too. Fighting a group of Hyperion robots requires a different strategy than fighting bandits.

Most of the fun comes from experimenting with new weapons, new skills, and different classes. I can see why people would find it boring. You have to be a certain kind of person to appreciate this kind of game and play it for dozens of hours.