Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I can't imagine Yahtzee ever giving in to the sheer pressure placed upon him to review Final Fantasy XIII, although I do think he should at least try one, and I mean a proper one, not just The World Ends With You. Hell, it doesn't even have to be an FF game. Lost Odyssey was fairly good...

Anyway, funny review, as always. Looking forward to next week!

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
By the way, where's the SCORE, Yahtzee? I want a score, dammit! Score it!

. . . and talk about signing up for abuse. The "Yahtzee Facebook Fan Page"?!. You gotta be kidding me, right?

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
NamesAreHardToPick said:
Diablo-style random weapon drops are pretty much the opposite of shitty game design, they're pretty much the best kind of carrot you can hang in front of a gamer's face. "Is this guy going to drop a better weapon? No? What about this guy?" The only "programming" that makes a player stop and analyze every new gun's stats to the point that they don't enjoy the gameplay is in his own head. Borderlands doesn't have say anything one way or the other about it.
I'm sorry, but unless I read you wrong here, you're essentially saying 'the problem with this person not liking the game is they decided to not like a rather tedious mechanic and if they just got over it, they would be okay.'

Call it a carrot if you like, but being someone who plays games to have fun and not to pack-rat-esque collect the 10 butt-scratchers of the Netherlords or the Spitoon of Satan, I end up simply finding any such item mechanic of such mostly-completely random to be tiresome at best and an excercise in Eve-esque micromanagement at worst, which is to say I would rather stick my face in a vat of hydrochloric acid.

While the success of MMORPGs indicates that I may be in a minority expressing that sentiment, it is hardly a replacement for a good story or some sort of innovative or at least somewhat refeshingly good game mechanics, both of which Borderlands seems to lack.

It's not to say that Borderlands is atrociously bad, but it is at best lackluster and the repetitive game mechanics such as the one that you seem to be defending only serve to be the proverbial nails in the coffin that keep it from having something resembling a soul.

Lysserd

Oct 1, 2009
And here I was hoping for a Bioshock 2 video. Oh well, I can wait. It'll have to be after Mass Effect 2 anyway. God I have a vendetta with the ME games. It's not that I hate them, they hate me. Durn things refuse to let me save on either one. <.<

smi1ey

Nov 18, 2009
Thank God SOMEONE had the balls to speak about how lame this game really is. So repetitive and boring. Terrible interface design. Etc etc.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
i was one of the people hoping review this, i didn't expect you to love it (cause you never do) but you were quite harsh and i'm falling back on the assumption that you just had an unlucky/bad experience with it.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
The Great JT said:
I sense another Mailbag Showdown.
Oh i hope so, it was one of the best episodes! XD

OT: after the review i think i may give this game a miss.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
This review confused me.

Did he review it on PC or Console? He said clicks as if he played the PC game but he had complaints that only exist on console (lame compare and bad GUI, for example).

I'm also confused about his MMORPG rant. The only elements it shares with MMORPG's are the ones that Blizzard created in Diablo 2. In other words: Not a thing. Items with stats? Levels? Meaningless quests? Little to no story with most of the action happening when you aren't around? Sounds like Diablo 2 to me. But with guns. That do awesome things.

It didn't seem like he actually played the game for more than an hour. Junkyards? Yeah, you've got one of those. You've also got a lot of other things. He didn't speak about the >cool< things in the game.

I tend to like his stuff, but I only smiled at the Jason comment :(. This didn't feel inspired, and it probably wasn't. This game should have been played with less grudge and more "Oh. That's right. This is an FPS so the core of the game revolves around shooting things. With guns. Guns that do really cool things."

That is what lacked here.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Oh wow, Yahtzee takes a really good game and gives it a shellacking because it doesn't reach his "gold-plated toilet" standards. I already took this shot back when he mentioned it in Extra Punctuation, and I'm rather surprised he reviewed bitched about the game.

The game is not perfect, by any means. Especially in multi-player where the Diablo-esqe looting scenarios mean you have at least one moron running about grabbing every loose object in sight. But if Yahtzee would stop to look past the games flaws,[small](Ha ha ha, I made a funny!)[/small] he might see the undercurrent of satire and the fact that game really doesn't take itself seriously.

Then again, I'm still trying to figure out what Yahtzee considers to be fun. I'm sure if someone made a bitching simulator that dispensed Branson Pickle as a reward he'd still find fault with it. But I happen to...

It's because he considers it his job to locate the golden toilets. He makes a point of it NOT being his job to "overlook" flaws. What reviewer does that?

If you really dislike this type of review, then clearly ZP isn't your show.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Caiti Voltaire said:
I'm sorry, but unless I read you wrong here, you're essentially saying 'the problem with this person not liking the game is they decided to not like a rather tedious mechanic and if they just got over it, they would be okay.'

Call it a carrot if you like, but being someone who plays games to have fun and not to pack-rat-esque collect the 10 butt-scratchers of the Netherlords or the Spitoon of Satan, I end up simply finding any such item mechanic of such mostly-completely random to be tiresome at best and an excercise in Eve-esque micromanagement at worst, which is to say I would rather stick my face in a vat of hydrochloric acid.
I take it you haven't played Borderlands.

It also looks like you have a completely ass-backwards view of what random loot is.

Random loot doesn't mean "OH MY GOD I FUCKING HATE GRINDING THIS I GET NO ITEMS EVER MAN I WANT THE BEST LOOT EVER FUUUCK!" No, that's you. Random loot means that there is a percentage chance that an item will drop.

It doesn't mean that you're going to scour the wastes for a better weapon. In fact, you'll find weapons that are vastly better than the one you have once every 15 minutes. At least. Hell, I've had a boss drop a set of weapons all of which were better than what I've had.

Your idea of random is skewed. This isn't Diablo 2 where a Zod rune has a 0.000012% chance of dropping. This is Borderlands where *insert specific item with varied stats here* has an incredibly high chance from dropping from *insert specific monster found in a specific area*.

ON TOP OF that, you have 100% guaranteed drops from certain enemies AND on top of that you have the Zod rune style drops.

If your problem is that you want the best of the best, that's not a mechanic problem.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
NuclearPenguin said:
One of the funniest so far.
Now im off to nag him to play MAG.
Because it is multiplayer and multiplayer ONLY.
He won't do it, he has said he won't review games based on multiplayer and further more if it's only multiplayer he fucking hates it on principle...so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, he'd rather review a JRPG.

draken693

Apr 30, 2009
Why do people whine at Yahtzee anyway? It just seems like people would have learned after over 100 episodes that Yahtzee has a general contempt for people. Wanna know what I do when I want to know how good a game is? I play the game. Simple enough. I watch Zero Punctuation just to laugh my ass off at his rants on the worst part of certain games. So far my favorite has been Bioshock and I loved Bioshock. Anyway I am just a noob on the forums so I will just fall back into lurking position. *poof*

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I like Borderlands personally and I play it mainly for the specticle of it and the multiplayer. Everything he says is true about the game though. I hope he doesn't review Final Fantasy XIII because we already know what he's gonna say about it and it'd be a waste of his time considering he can butcher other games instead. Although a review on Final Fantasy XIII would be hilarious.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Im not a big rpg fan, but about a month ago i played Borderlands in co op at my friends place and it was acctually quite fun.