Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

VeggiX

Aug 6, 2009
He really couldn't have been more right. This game was like playing a far less fun version of fallout3.

Arndor

Feb 11, 2010
Thank you for saying Wally instead of Waldo, you've metaphorically made my day.

r.t

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
antigodoflife said:
so, when are you going to torture yourself with God of War 3, Dante's Inferno and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows?

I honestly can't keep my pants together waiting for your verbal defication of that tryhard tripe Dante's Inferno
That would make me so happy

Evike

Feb 11, 2010
Thank God Yahtzee abhorred this game as much as I did. Reserved this game back when it wasn't supposed to be cell shaded and patiently waited for it's release with pant-wetting anticipation. I like nearly every other player on the planet played co-op first and so completely missed the opening cutscene, which just so happened to explain the live action girl that pops up in the corner every once in a while to tell you some crap. I actually had so interest in finding this vault doo-hickey and I even completed every single mission in the game, despite the trivial repetitiveness. But damn my high expectations for I found the final fight to be a rather lack luster battle with another generic vagina monster. After winning I received a few lack luster weapons, worse than what I already had, (so much for the vault of trans-earthly delight and riches) and was told to get lost of start playthrough 2. Where was the vault again? I opened it, killed it's vagina and then it closed? WTF I say. I feel that I can relate very strongly to this post of Zero Punctuation...except with more punctuation.

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
Maybe I shouldn't have watched this, I was planning on getting this but now the game seems like a chore since you have to invest a lot of time into it.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
dwoo21 said:
Maybe I shouldn't have watched this, I was planning on getting this but now the game seems like a chore since you have to invest a lot of time into it.
Try it anyway. I normally don't like FPSes too much but I quite enjoyed Borderlands. It's not an amazing game and it has more bugs than an ant's nest (or it did, before a patch squashed a few), but it might be your kind of game. If you play it on PC, the vehicles don't handle toooooo badly either.

It has its problems, yes. But Some people found it fun. Give it a go anyway and see what you think. Rent it?

CoD is killing the same five or six people over and over too... they're just not as distinctive as Jason, Midget Jason, Steroid Jason, Jason-in-the-Iron-Mask or Flaming Jason.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
FFXIII is apparently so bad that even hardcore FF fans hate it.

If Yahtzee reviewed it, it would be the best episode ever.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
I would have to agree with Yahtzee, efpeesarepeegees (FPSRPGS) should have to be decent in the single player field. Online can be good, it just takes time. I guess he just doesn't have that time. It is comparable to digging through the rough for diamonds, except it takes hours and for every diamond there are 10 shiny pieces of beer bottles (kind of fun), and 20 fake diamonds with razor sharp edges that are doused in colorless STDs.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
I'm just a little curious about what you would replace the "vacuous matter" with. And please do not assume I think you a drooling fan girl. If you were one of these moronic, one liner posting rejects from the school of how not to post an opinion, I would not have bothered to respond to you at all. I only mentioned that because Yahtzee has a gravitational pull on this site that draws people here for good or ill.
It is exceedingly difficult to assume anything else given the wording of your post, but it's water under the bridge anyways.

In any event as regards the repetitive things in the game, I said cut it out, not replace it. I would rather 2 or 10 or whatever hours I thoroughly enjoyed than 80 hours of doing the same quest over and over and ending up throwing the keyboard across the room in frustration at a repetative and to me thus exceedingly unenjoyable game. I play games to have fun, not have a second job. Inevitably there is always going to be some work to the game, don't get me wrong, and the other extreme of cutscening me through an entire game or holding my hand through easy gameplay is not desirable either. There's an equilibrium to be had, the game should engage you in the elements enough to keep you going, but it should also keep it fun too. That's really the golden rule to me.

And really as much as I could keep proselytizing about the reasons I think the game is not fun, the bottom line for me is that is not fun.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
What's BioShock 2's Australian release date? (and for that matter, No More Heroes 2)

VaporFox

Feb 4, 2010
I'm kind of surprised Yahtzee didn't rag on how the game's biggest selling point was how Borderlands supposedly had like millions of possible weapons you could choose from, yet it ended up being more like 30 or 40 weapons (at least in cosmetic appearance) all with randomly generated stats.

The only thing I kind of shook my head at in the review was how Yahtzee admitted he JOINED RANDOM ONLINE GAMES, yet he still seemed "shocked" by the fact that all the tools he ended up playing with were loot-hording twits who'd leave him behind to get slaughtered. It's been pretty much an unspoken rule that you're asking for headaches more times than not when you play with random folks on Live (or any other online venue, really). But, I digress.

Glad he hit on the main thing that got under my skin with Borderlands, though: The menu interface. The design choices they made with that thing were about as intuitive as having a second anus located right under your nose. Ugh.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
I didn't get twenty minutes into this God awful game, and I was already getting bored with the repetition. It's been a while since I couldn't get through even the first level of a game because I was so bored. Glad to see Borderlands reminded me that terrible games are still being made.

It was just a copy of every other popular game ever made. It even had the EXACT same control scheme as MWF2. The only good thing about it is the cover art, and the reenforcement of "never judge a book by its cover."