Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825].

Watch Video
Sir i bow to your review! everybody was hyped (and maybe most of them are..) about this game, but frankly i must say it's a simplistic FPS with few rpg elements and that's it.
and you might have lacked to add that there's no storyline... only a mirage of it.

Overall you've got the logical way of seeing it.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Poor Yahtzee XD. Saw the blurb last episode but I didn't think he would actually cave in. Oh well at least it's entertaining to watch him rant.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Talcon said:
At first I liked Borderlands, but stopping to check if the new gun you found is marginally better than what you have, really "breaks the flow", to borrow a phrase from Yahtzee. Stopping the action every five minutes to analyze new gear is NOT good gameplay design, it's tedious and doesn't live up to the fast-paced action that FPS are SUPPOSED to be.
... or you could get a handle on your own OCD. It's not the game's fault that you go into your equipment menu every time you pick up a new gun. Admittedly it might make a big difference at low levels but, if it's killing your fun you have to be a grown-up and prioritize a little.

With a good collection already on my hands I've learned to mostly grab guns for cash value. I only look at stats when it's time to sell and often end up keeping 1-2 to replace weapons in my current lineup. Yeah maybe I'm missing some awesome white-letter sniper rifle, but probably not.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
As someone who has played Borderlands and liked it, I must say this review was surprisingly accurate. Good job!

Big-T

Jan 11, 2010
i was hella happy to see that YZ felt the same feeling that i had about borderlands. i have been taking wayyy too much heat from friends for my opinions. making me feel like i had to either get a new opinion or new friends. after watching this episode im thinking about getting new models of the latter.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?
Personally, the menu system is my biggest complaint with the whole game. The sheer time it takes to select a gun, scroll down the screen, find the stats, and find the other gun's stats probably took more time than half the missions (over-exaggeration).

I bought this game, played it by myself, beat it, and traded it in within the hour. Thank god for Gamestop, or I would have wasted all my money. Good review, Yahtzee.

runningfatman said:
seriously he bitchs about how he has to review 4 games about mytical creature massacer in a row and when dantes inferno finally comes out he dosnt review it i mean seriously what the hell??? still i liked borderlands even solo so ya he rly did just pick at stupid things still made me see a different side of the game then i have befor.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! SPELLING! Is English your first language?

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Good on ya, succumbed to whiners.
Now go do a double Mass Effect / Bioshock 2-2 for me next week or I'll also cry.

On a totally irrelevant and meaningless sidenote: I agree fully with the review.
It's crap. It's cute and charming crap that'll make you giggle at ball jokes. But it's still crap.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Well I think it is a fun and fast paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry.

I for one found the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hoarding brilliant.

I never had a problem with the interface, but I can understand if some people think differently
There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Complete and utter bull. It is a fun and as paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry

I know he's a critic and it's opinion, but the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hording is just brilliant.

Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?
1. Best gun play since Far Cry... what? Yeah, the shooting was fun, but all hit calculations were still d20 based, not actual accuracy/distance/etc based. They might have had the stats but that's not how the system worked (Placebo Effects). You're comparing apples to oranges.

2. This is also an opinion, I found it to be good, not great, making a first person loot-em-up isn't necessarily something new and innovative. If you want tons of loot at a cheaper price with about the same level of plot, character design, and level design get Torchlight.

3. The interface was pretty obnoxious on the PC, I can't even imagine how bad it was on the console.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I'm disappointed that you bowed to public pressure and reviewed a game you weren't going to do. Now you've set a precedent and idiots are going to realise they can manipulate you. Things are going to get a whole lot worse now.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I honestly didn't give a flying toss if he reviewed Boarderlands or not. But that's probably because of my MMO hate.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I've been waiting for this for awhile.
However, I didn't feel like asking for it.

Let the man do his job the way he wants to do it.

HollywoodH17

Jan 6, 2010
I really like Borderlands. Then again, I actually do have pictures and video of my car rolling over from 49,999 to 50,000.

Munsie

Feb 10, 2010
Solid review.

It should be interesting to see what's to come in the following weeks.. So many new releases.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Did anyone else notice when they showed the Extra Punctuation photo that it said that Yahtzee had 5,361 new messages?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
NickCooely said:
There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.
I didn't though, I addressed that it's is opinion, reread my original post. I am a human being therefore I have an opinion, why is that such a bad thing these days?

How does it make me pretentious though?
No I won't thank you, you just come off as rude